Forums are back in action! ×

NaNoWriMo?

I check in and everyone's snowflaking :D  glad to see the link was put to good use!  I thought it would be appreciated here by my fellow nerds

It's awesome!  I've outlined in the past, but never with so many steps that build on each other.  I'm liking it!

?current challenge?

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

I'm not a pantser or an outliner. I get my main story idea picked out and then I just daydream up various scenes and let them party around in my head until it's time to write them all down. I try to make sure I've got good scenes imagined for important story milestones (first quarter mark, etc). I know where I'm going, so it's not like pantsing, but if I tried to write an outline, it'd be 70% blank.

Getting closer by the day!

Level Three Oracle of Doom.

Level Eight Dragon Tamer, Warrior Dash participant. Trail runner.   Respawned.

I'm snowflaking not necessarily to make a good story, but to make a story I'd be capable of finishing. I've started long projects in the past, but never finished them because I didn't know what was going to happen next and got stuck! I'm so glad you linked that method, Callarix, because before finding that I was just flailing around incompetently trying to outline and do scene maps and other fragments of advice I'd read about in the past. I'm on step 4, I think, of the method and it's already drawn serious structural issues with the story kicking and screaming into the light. Crap that's useful.

Level 2 Mountain Elf

4 STR | 5 DEX | 1 STA | 0 CON | 4 WIS | 2 CHA

Battle Log | Epic Quest

Current Challenge: Ornata Thrives in the Darkness

Past Challenges: 1

Accountabilibuddies: CutLasses | NaNo Nerds

"In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

I'm snowflaking not necessarily to make a good story, but to make a story I'd be capable of finishing. I've started long projects in the past, but never finished them because I didn't know what was going to happen next and got stuck! I'm so glad you linked that method, Callarix, because before finding that I was just flailing around incompetently trying to outline and do scene maps and other fragments of advice I'd read about in the past. I'm on step 4, I think, of the method and it's already drawn serious structural issues with the story kicking and screaming into the light. Crap that's useful.

I've always used a far more elaborate version of it myself (Think every crime show detective who's gone off the rails living in a seedy room with walls covered in papers and strings hanging everywhere, you've just about got it) so simplifying what I was already doing when I stumbled across it was lovely.  Glad it's helping :D

• Like 1

Do the thing

2024 Intentions Roadmap

Why do I do ALL OF MY BEST brainstorming on the stationary bike? Seriously, I've advanced the plot more in those 15 minute sweat-outs than I have in the last month of sitting with a notebook in front of me, trying not to Facebook. 

• Like 4

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Why do I do ALL OF MY BEST brainstorming on the stationary bike? Seriously, I've advanced the plot more in those 15 minute sweat-outs than I have in the last month of sitting with a notebook in front of me, trying not to Facebook. 

My best ideas come in those 5 minutes before I fall asleep.  I always tell myself to not forget them, but I don't always succeed!!!!!!!!!!!

?current challenge?

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

I have a notebook so when I'm randomly at the grocery store and suddenly the plot idea of 'black market tainted DNA' decides to pop into my brain, I can write it down.  Seriously, they do come at the weirdest times!

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

It used to be when I run, but I get too much in the Zombies, Run! zone these days. I have discovered that I do a lot of my best brainstorming and plotting when I'm waiting somewhere for someone in public, or when driving. I finally nailed down what I'm doing for NaNo, which came to me while waiting for a classmate while at the food court at the mall today. :lol: Started the snowflake method and just step one is already improving my story! :D

Vicki | Sheikah Bard | Level 13

STR 32.5 | DEX 51.1 | STA 25.5 | CON 37.1 | WIS 26.0 | CHA 31.3

blkhoe24601 Gains the Power to Revolutionize the World

Past Challenges: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13

2016 Battle Log

I've had a few sick days and not planned as much as I had hoped. Still, it is only half two in the afternoon so going to do some planning this afternoon! I have 2/3 of it planned (well, outline with a basic idea of what I am doing with enough flexibility). Just need to get myself off the internet!

Current Challenge

Previous challenges:7, 6 5, 4,  3. 2, 1

I am the one thing in life I can control

Gave my story some more though, and have a few more ideas running around. I'm still working on snowflaking everything. I'm hoping that if I really concentrate on it this week I'll be able to get a few more steps in so that I'll have an easier time when November arrives!

Current Challenge: Late start, but here at last.

Level 6 Magikarp

Past Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5

My NF Character and Epic Quest!

Well, you asked and I have delivered!

Here is the link to the group.

Come!  Join!  Discuss!

I've even created a vague framework for weekly challenges which can hopefully be used both for writing-related challenges and fitness.  Hope to see you there!

• Like 1

?current challenge?

instagram | goodreads

Seen on FB:

Who is planning on NaNo'sizing?

For every 500 words I'm going to alternate between 10 pushups, 10 crunches, and 10 squats. Gives me a break, gets my body moving, and will help keep me in some sort of shape.

Your thoughts?

• Like 2

WillBlackrose, level 16 Human Assassin STR 12 | DEX 13 | STA 15 | CON 15 | WIS 12 | CHA 14

Life Quest: Evolution of an idea

Reduce base weight from 300 to 180: Progress point 203#

Main Quest: Conditioning and endurance

Planks in 100# weight vest:

Lvl 1(1 minute): Done.   Lvl 2(2 minutes): Done.  Lvl 3: 3 minutes: Done. Level 4: (4 minutes)

Side Quest: Stamina of the Ancients

Lvl 1: 1 mile constant movement: Done Lvl 2: 2 miles constant movement: Done

Lvl 3: 3 miles constant movement: Done Lvl 4: 4 miles constant movement: Done

Lvl 5: 5 miles constant movement: In Progress

Who is planning on NaNo'sizing?

For every 500 words I'm going to alternate between 10 pushups, 10 crunches, and 10 squats. Gives me a break, gets my body moving, and will help keep me in some sort of shape.

Your thoughts?

This looks very familiar... Facebook familiar...

• Like 2

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

This looks very familiar... Facebook familiar...

yep. That is where I got the idea. posted it here for those that are not in the group.

WillBlackrose, level 16 Human Assassin STR 12 | DEX 13 | STA 15 | CON 15 | WIS 12 | CHA 14

Life Quest: Evolution of an idea

Reduce base weight from 300 to 180: Progress point 203#

Main Quest: Conditioning and endurance

Planks in 100# weight vest:

Lvl 1(1 minute): Done.   Lvl 2(2 minutes): Done.  Lvl 3: 3 minutes: Done. Level 4: (4 minutes)

Side Quest: Stamina of the Ancients

Lvl 1: 1 mile constant movement: Done Lvl 2: 2 miles constant movement: Done

Lvl 3: 3 miles constant movement: Done Lvl 4: 4 miles constant movement: Done

Lvl 5: 5 miles constant movement: In Progress

So many outlines! Anyone else a pantser like me?

I don't really have an outline either.

I have a setting and sort of an idea of who some of the characters should be and maybe what part of the conflict is, but I don't exactly have a plot idea. I've thought of how I'm going to set it up though and hopefully it will flow from there.

I want to work on character details before I get started though. I still haven't written anything down about the characters (I'm worried I might Mary Sue the protagonist).

Level 9 Amazon Druid
STR : 17 | DEX : 23 | STA : 22 | CON : 23 | WIS : 21 | CHA : 15
Challenges: 10, 9, 8, 7.1, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3.1, 3, 2, 1
Battle Log