Forums are back in action! ×

Since everyone was talking about meds I am currently on 2 pills in the morning with a nasal spray, then 3 pills at night with 2 nasal sprays. Just a month before that I had 0 medicine of any kind.

I always grew up with a stigma for medication, and I think a lot of health movements spin them negatively as well. That has changed. I think that medication taken with understanding is a powerful thing. I made the decision to mindfully start taking medications that I know about. I asked questions about them. Asked about side effects and all that with the doctor and pharmecist. And I am confident in what I am taking and how it will impact my future. I am hoping that I will be able to get off some (if not all but I find that unlikely since some are allergy related) medications when I am in better shape. But the medications I take are to help me live my best life. All my doctors know my stance and respect it. Due to this I am now in a much better place health wise.

So don't let the pills get you down. Ask the questions, make informed choices and know what you are taking and be honest with your doctors! There is nothing wrong with medication!

• Like 2

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

On 7/1/2021 at 11:31 PM, sarakingdom said:

I'm proud of you for napping, and doubly proud it was on a hammock.

Haha.  I love my hammock.  I don’t get enough opportunity to use it though.  

On 7/2/2021 at 6:52 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You'll find much sympathy for that sentiment.

Hah.  

On 7/2/2021 at 10:14 AM, Shello said:

Enjoy that!  We fly to Wilmington Sunday and then leave for Charleston on Tuesday morning.  Are you driving out there?  

We drove. Right now we’re in a hotel near the Charleston airport.  It’d be funny if we ran into you.  

Edit: Nevermind, we’re in Charlotte, not Charleston.  

On 7/2/2021 at 11:41 AM, Elastigirl said:

I used to love TGU's.Remember when I did them for something like a year, almost daily?? Then I started to hate them too. Now I'm back where once in a while I enjoy cranking out a few. Maybe you should sub out presses instead. I'm pretty much sick of swings, and am subbing out Farmer carries instead. 

Enjoy your trip!

Wow.  They’re good for you, but man a year…. I don’t hate them as much as I used to, but if I stick to my plan (which I never have before) I’m only doing them every third workout.  

On 7/3/2021 at 12:34 PM, jcmgm said:

where did the first half year go!

ohhhh Chills, literal chills

Hah. I can’t speak to other types of bears. But black bears are big ‘ol scaredy cats.  As long as you stay away from the babies that is.  My cousin has a bear family in her yard at least a couple times a week.  

On 7/3/2021 at 11:11 PM, Fairly_Bouncer said:

I am admist some of the chaos of the weird weather patterns and peeps at Bunker Hills and still am wondering where June went. 

May the preparations and noisy fireworks end up well this weekend

I forgot you were at bunker hills.  Totally my old territory.  

On 7/5/2021 at 4:26 PM, KB Girl said:

indeeeed.

LOL.  

On 7/6/2021 at 12:27 PM, cn3wton said:

Since everyone was talking about meds I am currently on 2 pills in the morning with a nasal spray, then 3 pills at night with 2 nasal sprays. Just a month before that I had 0 medicine of any kind.

I always grew up with a stigma for medication, and I think a lot of health movements spin them negatively as well. That has changed. I think that medication taken with understanding is a powerful thing. I made the decision to mindfully start taking medications that I know about. I asked questions about them. Asked about side effects and all that with the doctor and pharmecist. And I am confident in what I am taking and how it will impact my future. I am hoping that I will be able to get off some (if not all but I find that unlikely since some are allergy related) medications when I am in better shape. But the medications I take are to help me live my best life. All my doctors know my stance and respect it. Due to this I am now in a much better place health wise.

So don't let the pills get you down. Ask the questions, make informed choices and know what you are taking and be honest with your doctors! There is nothing wrong with medication!

Thanks brother.  That’s thoughtful advice.  

• Like 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

July 7, 2021 Wednesday 

I’m not going to go into a ton of detail.  I spent three days moving stuff in the house and yard and packing things up.  Since I have become unused to labor, I wore out my grip and back, but they’re fine now.  

*I don’t remember if I told y’all this, but our kitchen had a flat roof, which is a terrible option for snowy Minnesota, and it has leaked for 20 years.  We could finally afford to get the roof rebuilt, but we ended up refinancing and putting an addition above the kitchen. It will make my bedroom huge (by 115 year old house standards) and add a closet and a big walk-in closet which is two more closets than the room had before.  

I’m really bummed about the refinance because the house was almost paid off. Mrs. Sloth will be happy though.  So that’s cool. 

I spent three days driving.  The first day was Minneapolis to Indianapolis.  I failed to take into account the wall-to-wall Fourth of July Chicago traffic all the way across Wisconsin and we got there 5 hours later than planned.  I had hoped to meet Cheetah, but once I saw the traffic I didn’t bother asking if he was free.  

The next two days of driving went really smoothly.  I got bored of corn fields and changed the itinerary and went straight south and we were able to spend a full day in the Smoky Mountains.  Which is absolutely beautiful and well worth the extra drive time.  

That’s all I can remember. Peace out nerd friends.  

• Like 10

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

We drove. Right now we’re in a hotel near the Charleston airport.  It’d be funny if we ran into you.  

Edit: Nevermind, we’re in Charlotte, not Charleston.   

That would be funny. We are in Charleston still but heading to Savannah, GA in the morning.   Enjoy Wilmington. We really did. 

The next two days of driving went really smoothly.  I got bored of corn fields and changed the itinerary and went straight south and we were able to spend a full day in the Smoky Mountains.  Which is absolutely beautiful and well worth the extra drive time.  

Good decision. The Smoky Mountains make for a much better drive. 

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

On 7/7/2021 at 9:48 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

had hoped to meet Cheetah

Another day, for sure.  ?

Level 48 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

On 7/8/2021 at 12:20 AM, Shello said:

That would be funny. We are in Charleston still but heading to Savannah, GA in the morning.   Enjoy Wilmington. We really did. 

Good decision. The Smoky Mountains make for a much better drive. 

Thanks.  

On 7/8/2021 at 10:45 AM, cn3wton said:

Sounds like a great little trip despite the traffic!

Hah. I complain too much. It’s been a good trip.  

35 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

Another day, for sure.  ?

Maybe we can make it work in August.  

• Like 2

Thursday- rainy driving day, but the sun came out by the time we got to our place. It’s a cute little beach house.  It’s about 4 houses away from the beach access which is great.  

I rode my bike around to check things out and see how it held up to the weather on the back of the car.  I got about 5 miles in, which doesn’t sound like much, but it’s the farthest I’ve ridden without my lungs ? collapsing since last summer.  

Friday - KB S&S 

Warm up at 8kg

Get ups 5x1/1 at 8kg

Swings 4x10/10 + 1x5/5 at 16kg - my back felt junky from sitting in the car so much so I shut it down after 50 swings.  

We went to the beach. The waves were pretty good.  It took about 5 minutes before a big wave knocked me ass over tea kettle and washed my new expensive glasses away.  They were on a tight strap that was supposed to make them buoyant, but my glasses are so heavy.  

Saturday - I’m in town right now trying to get glasses.  I tried to go to LensCrafters hoping they’d be fast, but after the third person came in after me and got help before they even said hi to me I left.  

• Like 7
  • That's Metal 1

I loose my glasses every time I get in a pool.  I usually get them back.  I'm sorry for your loss, and I hope you can get them replaced soon.

Level 48 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

LensCrafters hoping they’d be fast,

I use eyemart express on Market Street near the Olive Garden.  They are usually pretty quick. Sorry you lost your glasses!!  The beach is the worst for that.  I only wear like dollar sunglasses in the water, blindness be damned.  

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

On 7/10/2021 at 11:42 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

It took about 5 minutes before a big wave knocked me ass over tea kettle and washed my new expensive glasses away.  

This is my worst nightmare. I am legally blind without my glasses and losing them would be horrible. I hope you got this resolved!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

On 7/10/2021 at 1:15 PM, Cheetah said:

I loose my glasses every time I get in a pool.  I usually get them back.  I'm sorry for your loss, and I hope you can get them replaced soon.

Aargh. Frustrating.  I haven’t had this problem before.  

On 7/10/2021 at 1:50 PM, Novaurora said:

I use eyemart express on Market Street near the Olive Garden.  They are usually pretty quick. Sorry you lost your glasses!!  The beach is the worst for that.  I only wear like dollar sunglasses in the water, blindness be damned.  

I should have thought to ask you first; it would have saved a lot of time.  That’s where I ended up and it went well except same-day service will take two weeks because my eyes are so bad and weird.  

That’s smart, If I didn’t have glasses or contacts on I wouldn’t be able to watch the kids or find my way back.  

On 7/11/2021 at 5:24 PM, KB Girl said:

Oi the 5 miles are great but losing your glasses sucks.. do you have a backup? 

Yeah, I have my back up glasses but the vision isn’t quite as crisp.  

On 7/12/2021 at 11:58 AM, cn3wton said:

This is my worst nightmare. I am legally blind without my glasses and losing them would be horrible. I hope you got this resolved!

Thanks. My vision is really bad, but I’m not legally blind.  That must be difficult.  

• Like 1

July 11, 2021 - Sunday

I did the Simply Snatch work out.  S&S warm up at 8kg.  Snatch 7x7/7 at 12kg.  I stop as soon as I started losing form.  
The alactic + aerobic adherents at Strongfirst suggest alternating this with basic simple and sinister on a near daily basis combined with LSD aerobic work.  This plan suits me quite well.  

I rode to the end of the island and back.  Almost 14 miles / 22km.  I was slow, but felt ok.  

Otherwise we sat on the beach all day. I’m a bit sunburned, which always surprises me.  

July 12, 2021 - Monday 

We walked around the state park for a bit looking for Venus flytraps.  This is the only place where they grow in the wild.  Based on how dry the park is these days, I wonder if they’re functionally extinct in the wild.  We also went to the beach. 

ETA: Apparently there are actually 20 viable sites with wild Venus Fly Traps.  Plus a site in Florida where they were transplanted.  

Walking and playing in the water were my only exercise.   

I talked to the person at the bone marrow donation registery.  When I told her I was in North Carolina she offered to fly me back to Minneapolis at their expensive.  Luckily they don’t need my cells until after I’ll be back home.  I’ve been on the registery since 1988; I’m oddly excited to finally be able to donate.  

B43A9FDF-8438-4C71-8249-D6E0F8906328.jpeg
I think the park Rangers planted this right by the trail for the photo op.  

• Like 8

Being a donor for bone marrow is such an amazing thing to do! Good for you!

• Like 1

We visited a carnivorous plant garden on our trip.  I'm pretty sure it was in Wilmington.  There were venus flytraps and 3 or 4 other types of carnivorous plants.  It was very cool.  

Spoiler

584602045_garden6.jpg.2a48e1f3d0c4d9b88308c2d569413181.jpg

710360394_garden5.jpg.e6996037cff99c208edc0e406952fab1.jpg

476470194_garden4.jpg.ba72289c7a354b4ac55b74569ef14d71.jpg

388595298_garden3.jpg.3aba7ccd7dd6afa57c5ab01b3fe20020.jpg

1072897782_garden2.jpg.e16adb2d3c1a7fa8067fd8de99600418.jpg

742803110_garden1.jpg.2f4258e49d49c8a6e4c6c8bc0428212c.jpg

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

On 7/14/2021 at 10:10 AM, cn3wton said:

Being a donor for bone marrow is such an amazing thing to do! Good for you!

Thanks ?

On 7/14/2021 at 10:38 AM, Shello said:

We visited a carnivorous plant garden on our trip.  I'm pretty sure it was in Wilmington.  There were venus flytraps and 3 or 4 other types of carnivorous plants.  It was very cool.  

Reveal hidden contents

584602045_garden6.jpg.2a48e1f3d0c4d9b88308c2d569413181.jpg

710360394_garden5.jpg.e6996037cff99c208edc0e406952fab1.jpg

476470194_garden4.jpg.ba72289c7a354b4ac55b74569ef14d71.jpg

388595298_garden3.jpg.3aba7ccd7dd6afa57c5ab01b3fe20020.jpg

1072897782_garden2.jpg.e16adb2d3c1a7fa8067fd8de99600418.jpg

742803110_garden1.jpg.2f4258e49d49c8a6e4c6c8bc0428212c.jpg

Oh, that’s really cool.  

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 5:01 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Simply Snatch work out.  

Oooo, this sounds cool. I'm supposed to be doing swings with Enter The Kettlebell, but I'm sick of swings. Been doing some farmer carries, but snatch work sounds more aerobic.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

5 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Oooo, this sounds cool. I'm supposed to be doing swings with Enter The Kettlebell, but I'm sick of swings. Been doing some farmer carries, but snatch work sounds more aerobic.

I use a lighter bell when I snatch, so I don’t know if it’s more aerobic overall, but I enjoy it more.  

Is EtK the one with all the pressing ladders?  

8 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I use a lighter bell when I snatch, so I don’t know if it’s more aerobic overall, but I enjoy it more.  

Is EtK the one with all the pressing ladders?  

Yes.

I use a lighter bell for snatches too. It feels more aerobic to me, not sure if it really is. But it's good for building endurance, which is where I'm weaker.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

July 13, 2021 - Tuesday

I was still dragging from Sunday’s easy 14 mile ride.  I was kind of down about that TBH.  So I didn’t do much physically, just some walking around and going in the water for a bit.  

Professional bike racing has been really good so I finally broke down and bought a streaming service.  Having only watched the one hour highlight shows for the past 35 years, I have to say watching an entire 5 hour race is boring. The trick seems to be to catch it about 90 minutes from the end.  

July 14, 2021 - Wednesday

I started the S&S workout, after the sixth getup I couldn’t recover so I shut it down. 

Spoiler

B44395CB-BC04-4B81-995C-1E3ACA3C28F0.png

• Like 5

July 14 continued. 

Hmmm.  In my OK Boomer moment, I can’t edit and finish my post.  

Anyway, if you can see the pic, after the last rep my HR just doesn’t come down.  

Later on, after being in the ocean, I did a ten mile / 16 km ride.  I think this is the sweet spot right now. There was no shoulder so I was riding the gutter on account of all the gigantic trucks that didn’t want to give me space. I rode over a sewer grate and my front wheel got stuck and I flew over the handlebars.  It was quite exciting.  My bike is okay, but I have a few scrapes, nothing serious. 

Here’s a pic so you can see how tan my quad is.  Peace out nerd friends.  

5205F63B-2272-47E4-9F04-AF9DC51BC6C3.jpeg

• Like 3

Thursday July 15, 2021

My helmet is cracked so we drove into Wilmington to get a new one.  The bike shop was bigger and better than I expected - folks don’t seem comfortable driving around bikes here, so I assumed no one biked.  While we were at it we went to the historic district and walked about.  It occurred to me that Shello did more here in a day or two than we did in a week.  In the evening we walked to the boardwalk to eat pizza and listen to a cover band.  They were decent.  

Besides a bunch of walking ?‍♂️ I didn’t fitness.  

Friday July 17, 2021

Another beach day. I finally got a rash guard so my sun burnt fish belly can heal up.  Slothboy found some nice prescription sun glasses in the surf.  Unfortunately they weren’t my prescription.  He ran up and down the beach until he found the owner.  

Simply Snatch

Warm up at 8kg

5x7/7 Snatch at 12kg.  I felt good, but recovery between sets was slow.  I’ve stopped wearing wrist guards, this way the slamming of the bell into my wrists makes it obvious when I should shut it down.  

Peace out nerd friends.  

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

He ran up and down the beach until he found the owner.

Sounds like that apple didn't fall far from the tree :) 

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11