Forums are back in action! ×

Wordwar Z! (Word/Time Goal Tracking, with zombies!)

1 hour ago, Dagger said:

travel to US on Monday and NF CAMP on Wednesday. *trying to avoid caps, soo excited*

HOLY SHIT THE NF CAMP?! THAT'S SO AMAZING! Like, um, I mean it sounds pretty neat :') Haven't been there myself, but sheesh.. Cool!

• Like 2

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Spread love and understanding. Use force if necessary." - Leon Trotsky

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

"If you do strange things, strange things will happen!"

"That's it! Now go make something beautiful." -Jake Parker

11 hours ago, Fearkiller said:

I'm currently wondering that if I write the story as it goes, the characters possibly end up not likeable.

But then again, I have to write it as the story is, as they are, and not how I want them to be. 

Fictives do tend to take off in their own directions sometimes-- I have to say I'm awfully fond of of Flames, so I'm biased to them them do whatever they want! ;)

I'm facing the same sort of issues with Tales of the Drunken Unicorn. It's the story I want to be working on, but I'm not sure it's the story I should be working on... There's that old adage that you should write what you want to read. *ponders* Oh well, worse case scenario I will just wait for November and NaNoWriMo and write something silly then! :lol:

2 hours ago, Dagger said:

Uhmm... I'm casually not writing. Mostly quite not a decision, it just kinda doesn't happen... *whistles innocently*

Although I guess I have an excuse for being distracted because travel to US on Monday and NF CAMP on Wednesday. *trying to avoid caps, soo excited*

You are going to camp??? WOOOOO! :D:D You'll have to tell us how it goes! I can't decided if I want to try and go next year. It sounds either awesome or terrifying, I can't decide which. :P 

I'm procrastinating, but will get to my writing in just a few... it's been such a crazy week it's hard to get my brain out of work mode and into art mode. :P

• Like 1

Learning the art of Failing Upwards... (or: Moving Mountains with Teaspoons!)

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!

1 hour ago, Fearkiller said:

HOLY SHIT THE NF CAMP?! THAT'S SO AMAZING! Like, um, I mean it sounds pretty neat :') Haven't been there myself, but sheesh.. Cool!

*also trying to be a cool kid*

32 minutes ago, UnquietBones said:

It sounds either awesome or terrifying, I can't decide which.

I think many of us first timers who are going feel like this. Although considering the people in the FB camp group, it will be all awesome.

• Like 1

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Hello all! I hope last week went well for everyone and I'll be posting the sum-up a little later tonight, just wanted to give folks a chance to get in the numbers. :)  (*pokes @PollyannaAgain)

I'm going to head off an get in my words for tonight and hopefully this week is the one where I can finally escape the Zombies again! :D:D *crosses fingers*

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!

Weekly Zombie/Pirate/Ninja/Vampire-pocalypse!

The challenge results for the week were as follows (if you had words and didn't get them in on time, just let me know and I'll update this!) :)

Drop and give me 100!

@UnquietBones is embracing her (my) fate as a Zombie hanger-on, with a score of 2/7 for a 100 word a day goal.

@gryffinkat has been kidnapped by Pirates!! OH NO! With a score of 1/7 for a 100 word a day goal.

@PollyannaAgain is currently sailing with the tradewinds and leaving the Pirates behind with a score of 6/7 for a 100 word a day goal.

@Jane Eyre Is My Patronus was once again quiet... I'm thinking she's actually still well ahead of the Pirates, just not on the spreadsheet. I'm swapping her out to gray for now. :)

@Dagger is having a grand old time without us (and without wordcounts), PSHAW! :lol:

@Fearkiller is writing things, but not putting them on the spreadsheet for... reasons. But hopefully will post some more tales of Flames! (I am irrationally fond of that fictive! ;))

Badges!

Waylaid-by-Pirates-Badge-150.jpg

@gryffinkat has earned the Kidnapped By Pirates badge! In order to escape the Pirates you must now log wordcount/time for at least three consecutive days or meet a weekly/monthly goal (whichever comes first). But you get a nifty badge for escaping, so win-win! :)

Zombies-Ate-My-Wordcount-Badge-150.jpg

@UnquietBones (me) is awarding herself yet another Zombie badge even though she's been pretty much perpetually nommed on since this whole thing started. :P CURSES!

• Like 1

Weekly Zombie/Pirate/Ninja/Vampire-pocalypse!

Looks like this has been a really slow week for folks, not sure if it's just life catching up with everyone but wordcounts were low. Therefore I'm going to declare a Mulligan week and not count it against anyone! :)

I hope y'all are doing okay out there!!

• Like 1

I'm back and barely alive. I plan to take the challenge back up soon, not sure exactly when. Except if I can I want to write a short story tomorrow for a contest... yes, the deadline is tomorrow... *innocent grin*

• Like 1

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

32. Verb/action: Fighting (part 1)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eBaqagO67535j3JAjqOktvToXHdiNtXX4W4DXpFMT3k/edit?usp=sharing

(And the dotted lines mean point-of-view changes, or at the start, a long discussion cut short.)

Firstly, Minnie is trying to jump off the Golden gate bridge, so suicide is a heavy theme here.

Secondly, I don't know much about being a transgender person, (basically just researching this as I go along,

and picking the things I think Minnie happens to experience) so feedback on that is especially appreciated.

Of course ^-^ any other feedback is always appreciated as well.

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

Should I write and publish the pieces in the order I get them written, or should I wait until I get several pieces that belong together done first?

I'm kind of leaning into publish as you go, but I think that would make for a difficult story to read. For example, this piece I'm working on now, kind of require having read the one before it first. That one, however, currently only exists in my head :D  And obviously I know how it all makes sense :P They being my characters and all, having pondered a lot of the storyline out already.

Thoughts?

Okay, so... We'll just pretended I didn't vanish off the face of the planet, right? :D

I'm going to go get the spreadsheets fixed today so all of 2017 is there, unlock it so anyone can unhide things if I vanish again, and reset things and get the new badges up and, and, and...

I hope everyone had a good NaNoWriMo!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UnquietBones said:

Okay, so... We'll just pretended I didn't vanish off the face of the planet, right? :D

I'm going to go get the spreadsheets fixed today so all of 2017 is there, unlock it so anyone can unhide things if I vanish again, and reset things and get the new badges up and, and, and...

Welcome back!

I hope you've had a good month.

Personally, I'll still be off the challenges here for now. While I will do some writing for the next couple of weeks, it really isn't my focus for the time being. But I hope the rest of you have a good time with your writing challenges.

• Like 1

Apparently Google loves rows and hates columns, so I'm transposing the spreadsheets.

Drop and give me 100!  has been updated and now goes until January of 2020! Everything is there, just hidden and you can now choose a goal wordcount for each week (or opt out by leaving it blank). I got things ready to start back up again come monday (12/5) I put everyone into Away mode for now. I'm trying to keep my November habit of writing, so I'll be here! :)

Am working on the other spreadsheets and will update them similarly... updates to follow. *crosses fingers*

1 hour ago, Dagger said:

Welcome back!

I hope you've had a good month.

Personally, I'll still be off the challenges here for now. While I will do some writing for the next couple of weeks, it really isn't my focus for the time being. But I hope the rest of you have a good time with your writing challenges.

Thanks! :)  I did win NaNoWriMo, but it was with a MuseFic and the underlying story needs a LOT of work before it can be considered a decent rough draft. But that madness comes in January, so I'm back to working on archiving and getting setup in Wattpad and Scribophile. I'm trying to be really serious about the writing (and getting better) going forward, so 2017 will be an interesting year. My local library is trying to start up a writing group, so I'm hopefully optimistic! :D

EDIT: Everything is updated and ready for monday! :)

• Like 1

On 3.12.2016 at 4:42 PM, UnquietBones said:

Yeahh.. *scratches back of head* About that.. Can I slink back in on your heels? :D

Ooh, that Scribophile looks interesting!

• Like 1

Come on in! :D

Scribophile is incredibly addictive! I've gotten some great feedback on my stuff, but I'd forgotten how much I love doing reviews! :)

The points system is a little odd, but I've decided that I'm going to go out of my way to review the stuff that you don't get a lot of points for. The system seems very geared to only getting works a few reviews before they fall out of sight, so I want to try and help folks out. Plus I'm finding some good authors there that I really want to keep reading whatever they write. I'm hoping I can swap my AO3 fan fiction addiction over... ;)

Since it looks like I'm the only one playing for right now, I'm going to keep these to monthly summaries instead of weekly. That way the thread will get a little bump once in awhile to maybe find more players, but I won't spam the forums. :)

Write on, all! :D

9 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

Since it looks like I'm the only one playing for right now, I'm going to keep these to monthly summaries instead of weekly. That way the thread will get a little bump once in awhile to maybe find more players, but I won't spam the forums. :)

Write on, all! :D

Come to think of it, that suits me too. The way my writing process is at the moment, I pick an idea,

be it one of your writing prompts or a sequel to something great I read, and spend a considerable

time writing it. Like, months.. :P

(Actually, funny story, in that I rolled the next prompt while working on the 32. fighting one,

and it just happened to be a theme I had thought out a piece for already :D Completely  at random!

This stuff is almost writing itself! Well, no, the process itself is as grueling as it ever was,

but the broad strokes of the story are. ~~spooky..~~ :D

So, as that goes, I'll be taking part only in the Writing prompts part at the moment.

I don't know how much I could set as a goal for myself, at the moment.

Edit: Edited my RE table status, wondering if I did it right?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fearkiller said:

Edit: Edited my RE table status, wondering if I did it right?

I was using the Status for if folks were Away, Free from the Zombies/Pirates/Ninjas or Captured, but you can use them however you want! :) I need to update my own status, last week was not a good one for me... I'm being Zombie-gnawed again:lol:

I'm glad to hear your writing's going well, even if it's got a mind of it's own! ;) (Sometimes the best stories are the ones we don't see coming! :D)

I'm following this topic, even though I'm not taking part currently. Although January should look pretty nice. And I did write three flash/short stories in December. All three part of outside deadline (aka not just my own made up deadlines). Same with January, I'm taking part in a workshop and I'll be writing a short story a week for four weeks.

• Like 1

I've still being nommed on my Zombies, but I did get a lot more done that I thought. I'm counting blog posts as well as reviews on Scribophile, so I stumbled through December just a simdge ahead of the horde. I joined the 52 Stories in 52 Weeks challenge thread over on the NaNoWriMo boards, so there should be some real prose on the way in January! :)

I also got a lot of good feedback on the two short stories I put on Scribophile, so I really need to sit down and rework those as well. If only December hadn't gotten eaten up by the Fat Animal Magnets! :lol:

• Like 1

Ooh, you updated the Random Encounter tables! Sweet!

How did I not notice this sooner? *skimming over*

So many new, wonderful things!

• Like 2

Yup, did all new prompts for the new year! :D And if you ever run out I've got more of them hidden away just waiting in the wings...

Plus I don't know if I've linked it yet, but I have 1500+ Saturday Story Prompts over on my blog. They are a mix of science fiction, fantasy, and 'normal life' prompts if you need something a little chewier for the plotbunnies. :lol:

Now I need to remember to log my words... I haven't been very good at keeping up with my entries in the spreadsheet this year. :P Plenty of time to improve though! :D