Forums are back in action! ×

A few days ago, one week shy of my fortieth birthday, I decided that I need some help on my journey…

Backstory:
As an adult, I've never really been fit or healthy. About 10 years ago when I moved to Mumbai, I was a UK size 20. A few stints at the gym along with portion control helped me to lose weight and get reasonably in shape, levelling out at a UK size 12. I was my lowest weight about 5 years ago, but as it was due to a combination of immense stress and illness, I was not healthy or really prepared to maintain that weight.

Over a two year period, I steadily put on weight until I started running. Setting myself a challenge of running a 5k and a 10k kept me going at it for just over a year, and in turn helped me lose weight and get back to a good level of fitness. Then a promotion at work, a dickhead boss, and dug up roads threw a spanner in the works - I couldn't run at my usual time or place so I stopped. At that point, I was the closest to being 'fit and healthy' as I've ever been.

I even joined the Rebellion just over 2 years ago, but I just lurked in the shadows.  Instead of participating, I went solo. I dabbled with working out and doing yoga at home, but nothing really stuck. My healthy eating habits were slowly replaced with more and more treats. My portion size got out of control and I ate out of boredom, especially at weekends. I ate because it was 'time to eat', yet I wasn't usually hungry. So over a two year period, I moved from my 'small' sized clothes, into my 'medium' and finally into my 'large' size clothes from my pre-running days.

Then in December 2016, my 'large' clothes started getting tight. This was the kick I needed to get back on it. I found a 90-day training program to follow, with a variety of workouts to stop me from getting bored (an issue with me). I also started to make changes in my food. Measuring portions. Cutting out soda. Cutting back on bread & packaged goods. Over the last 3 months, I've made exercising a habit and lost 10lbs. I've bought some dumbbells to use at home. I've found my hunger.

But…. As I got closer to the end of the 90 days, I was starting to feel lost and overwhelmed - what next? I realised that I needed a new challenge. The universe must have heard my plea! One of Steve's emails sent me over to the NF website, and on to the Level Up Your Life site to build my character, which reminded me of this fabulous forum I'd joined back in 2015 but never taken part in. I made it back here just in time to see that the next 4-week mini challenge was about to start!!!

So why do I need y'all in my life?

• I need new challenges and goals - I get bored easily
  • I need accountability  - I find it easy to start stuff, I rarely finish or make something a lasting part of my life (I've been learning Hindi on and off for 10 years now… This year it will stick!)
  • I need support from positive people who are changing their lives one step at a time

And what do I want to change?

• I want to get fit & strong

I'm excited to get started :D

• Like 4

Current Challenge

Backstory | Challenge 1 | Challenge 2 | Challenge 3 | Challenge 4 | Challenge 5

"We are what we believe we are." - CS Lewis

A few days ago, one week shy of my fortieth birthday, I decided that I need some help on my journey…

Backstory:

As an adult, I've never really been fit or healthy. About 10 years ago when I moved to Mumbai, I was a UK size 20. A few stints at the gym along with portion control helped me to lose weight and get reasonably in shape, levelling out at a UK size 12. I was my lowest weight about 5 years ago, but as it was due to a combination of immense stress and illness, I was not healthy or really prepared to maintain that weight.

Over a two year period, I steadily put on weight until I started running. Setting myself a challenge of running a 5k and a 10k kept me going at it for just over a year, and in turn helped me lose weight and get back to a good level of fitness. Then a promotion at work, a dickhead boss, and dug up roads threw a spanner in the works - I couldn't run at my usual time or place so I stopped. At that point, I was the closest to being 'fit and healthy' as I've ever been.

I even joined the Rebellion just over 2 years ago, but I just lurked in the shadows.  Instead of participating, I went solo. I dabbled with working out and doing yoga at home, but nothing really stuck. My healthy eating habits were slowly replaced with more and more treats. My portion size got out of control and I ate out of boredom, especially at weekends. I ate because it was 'time to eat', yet I wasn't usually hungry. So over a two year period, I moved from my 'small' sized clothes, into my 'medium' and finally into my 'large' size clothes from my pre-running days.

Then in December 2016, my 'large' clothes started getting tight. This was the kick I needed to get back on it. I found a 90-day training program to follow, with a variety of workouts to stop me from getting bored (an issue with me). I also started to make changes in my food. Measuring portions. Cutting out soda. Cutting back on bread & packaged goods. Over the last 3 months, I've made exercising a habit and lost 10lbs. I've bought some dumbbells to use at home. I've found my hunger.

But…. As I got closer to the end of the 90 days, I was starting to feel lost and overwhelmed - what next? I realised that I needed a new challenge. The universe must have heard my plea! One of Steve's emails sent me over to the NF website, and on to the Level Up Your Life site to build my character, which reminded me of this fabulous forum I'd joined back in 2015 but never taken part in. I made it back here just in time to see that the next 4-week mini challenge was about to start!!!

So why do I need y'all in my life?

• I need new challenges and goals - I get bored easily
  • I need accountability  - I find it easy to start stuff, I rarely finish or make something a lasting part of my life (I've been learning Hindi on and off for 10 years now… This year it will stick!)
  • I need support from positive people who are changing their lives one step at a time
And what do I want to change?

• I want to get fit & strong

I'm excited to get started [emoji3]

I feel you with starting stuff but rarely finishing. NF is really a great community, full of inspiring people. [emoji4] We can offer you support but yourself is the biggest supporter you will ever need, to push through all the challenges you may take. ^^ Also, you can find many ideas for your workouts if ever you get bored. What I can see is that different people use different strategies in making their workouts fun and enjoyable. Have fun staying at the forums! [emoji4]

• Like 1

Welcome! I'm another person who joined NF and abandoned it early on, but now I'm back with renewed vigour and committment!