Forums are back in action! ×

Be prepared for a LOT of waiting on the day of the surgery. CABG surgery takes a long time, then he will be in post op a while, then they will move him to ICU then there will be more waiting till the family can get into the room.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I am the person who brings all the snacks

Remind people to keep hydrating as well.  As Tank says, this is a very long day for the family.  Plan for people to take walks and stretch and eat.  

• Like 2

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Be prepared for a LOT of waiting on the day of the surgery. CABG surgery takes a long time, then he will be in post op a while, then they will move him to ICU then there will be more waiting till the family can get into the room.

Hmmm.. that's good to know.. I'll bring some crochet stuff and maybe a puzzle book for mom. Crocheting stuff is nice because it's meditative. I have a couple super easy patterns for little toys too.  Mom tends to meditate a lot and sometimes she'll read a book, but it's best to have something to actually do. I'm going to bring a neck pillow too for waiting room naps. 

50 minutes ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Remind people to keep hydrating as well.  As Tank says, this is a very long day for the family.  Plan for people to take walks and stretch and eat.  

This is wise. They have a lot of vending machines and a coffee place there. I do plan on bringing water bottles and snacks fer sure, anyway. My mom will not want to leave, but I think if we take turns, she'll go for walks too. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Weigh in day! 235.2 pounds. I am so proud of myself y’all.

Congratulations!!!

• Thanks 1

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

Hi Snarky!  I'm so behind and sorry to hear about all the stress and bad news.  But congrats on keeping that weight loss going with all the other stuff you have going on.  You are incredible!    On the good side it is MUCH better to learn about cardiac blockages this way than the other way.  And Yay that your dad (and family) have already started making the right changes.  

Sending-hugs GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

On 7/17/2023 at 2:44 PM, Shello said:

Hi Snarky!  I'm so behind and sorry to hear about all the stress and bad news.  But congrats on keeping that weight loss going with all the other stuff you have going on.  You are incredible!    On the good side it is MUCH better to learn about cardiac blockages this way than the other way.  And Yay that your dad (and family) have already started making the right changes.  

Sending-hugs GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Hi Shello! Thanks for the warm hugs!  How are you enjoying quality time with the kiddos?

56 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Hi Shello! Thanks for the warm hugs!  How are you enjoying quality time with the kiddos?

We are having fun but I did have a milkshake last night that was a mistake.  Last night was John Wick movie night, tonight is Music Bingo dinner, and tomorrow is lunch with Peach!  Oh then a sip'n paint with Peach on Thursday - only she's not old enough for the sipping yet.  

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

13 hours ago, Shello said:

We are having fun but I did have a milkshake last night that was a mistake.  Last night was John Wick movie night, tonight is Music Bingo dinner, and tomorrow is lunch with Peach!  Oh then a sip'n paint with Peach on Thursday - only she's not old enough for the sipping yet.  

Do milkshakes make your stomach hurt too? I love them and then a half an hour later my guts stage a forceful protest.  Music Bingo? What is that? It sounds like fun!  I'm so glad you've got so many cool things lined up! <4 

• Like 1

My aunt and uncle from Georgia arrived last night, and they are not minimalist packers. LOL.  The Visiting Uncle usually brings a suitcase, a pillow, and an electronics bag. I'm a minimalist packer too. My Georgia relatives brought suitcases, coolers full of food, all these tote bags full, and then MORE clothes on hangers, and I'm just like "you're going to be here for three days!"  ?  

In the short time they've been here, I appreciate my Visiting Uncle not expecting to be treated like a guest. He's coming here Thursday night, and I am really looking forward to seeing him. Don't tell him that. ?

I'm going to meditate and do some squats and then be a decent person and say hi to everyone. I'm really becoming the cranky old lady who yells at people to get off her lawn. ?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Do milkshakes make your stomach hurt too? I love them and then a half an hour later my guts stage a forceful protest. 

Not always but we were out of milk and only had heavy cream.  There was definitely intestinal protest.

2 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Music Bingo? What is that? It sounds like fun!  I'm so glad you've got so many cool things lined up! <4

Peach and I accidentally stumbled across music bingo one night trying out a new restuarant and we love it.  The company basically has a DJ with a killer playlist.  They pass out bingo cards with song names on it and then they play about 20-30 seconds of songs until enough people have won bingo and winners get prizes.  There's usually a lot of people singing along while you eat.  

1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

In the short time they've been here, I appreciate my Visiting Uncle

That's progress! 

• Like 3

Okay here’s the plan for tomorrow:

Dad is first in line for surgery at 6:45 AM EST so we have to be there at 5:00AM. We’ll wake up at 3am so he can get ready and then pick up my brother on the way. Surgery can take from 3-6 hours. My uncle’s party starts at 5 and dinner is at six and the hall shuts down at 10pm so we’ll stop there on the way home. I packed a bag like we’re going on a long flight so we are set for a long day.  We’re gonna hang out with Dad until they kick us out. 

I started sleeping once I started saying “he’s going to do this to feel better. He’s gonna get better”  meditation helps too. 

mom has decided she needs to set boundaries with her siblings because we are all exhausted entertaining guests when we could have been relaxing watching Star Trek and Crime Scene Kitchen. I’m really happy she made this decision and will be happier when she actually does it. 

exercising is minimal and I am eating too many peanut M&Ms but I am still  eating enough veggies and losing weight. I’m shooting for 234 even. 

I’ll update y’all on Dad after his surgery! 

• Like 4

Update: the Visiting Uncle has been comforting. He came in at 5pm, not 9:30pm and hugged everyone, then sat down and said “I bought a ventilation seat cover for my car! It keeps my back cool and even has a BUTT MASSAGER!”  

He’s staying really positive, only talking about upbeat things that aren’t too serious with dad like “lemme tell you about my new 3D printer!” And when mom or I look worried, he makes eye contact and mouths “it’s gonna be okay” 

he’s offered to cook dinner, is going to get some of his work done while he’s here and offered to make small repairs (although we done need any) and when my annoying aunt and uncle came back, he suggested they all sit on the front porch and watch the storm and catch up while we get things ready for today.

My visiting aunt and uncle are now on The List, and one day soon I will tell you about it but today we are focusing on what is good. I’ll be back tonight with a Dad update! 

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Update: the Visiting Uncle has been comforting. He came in at 5pm, not 9:30pm and hugged everyone, then sat down and said “I bought a ventilation seat cover for my car! It keeps my back cool and even has a BUTT MASSAGER!”  

OMG, I love this guy!!!

Thinking of you and sending good wishes!!

• Thanks 1

First Dad update: still in surgery but stable and things are going well. We can check back at 5:05.

things I’m happy I brought: the switch, chargers, and snacks, and pain killers. Things I wish I brought: a hat- the lights are bright! And a neck pillow for sleeping in chairs.  They don’t have enough foot tests for everyone and I snagged one for us. I’m the one who gets things. ?

• Like 5

Glad you hear he is in and things are progressing. Crossing all my fingers for you, Snarky! ❤️❤️❤️ 

• Thanks 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Glad things are going well. 

He is out of surgery!

he had five bypasses and will have a long incision in his leg because they couldn’t get what they needed laparoscopically. So his leg will hurt a lot, but the surgeon said his heart looked good and healthy!

we’ll see him in about an hour and he’ll be hooked up and sleeping,  but it’ll be good to see him even if he doesn’t know we’re there yet 

• Like 5

Brace yourself for the tubes, but it will do you good to see him. IIRC its usually 24 hours before they look at extubation (taking out the breathing tube) so for sure make sure everyone sleeps in their own beds at home. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Brace yourself for the tubes, but it will do you good to see him. IIRC its usually 24 hours before they look at extubation (taking out the breathing tube) so for sure make sure everyone sleeps in their own beds at home. 

The tubes weren’t too bad! He had more tubes when he had gut surgery. He did have a lot but they were bundled together and Tina the nurse covered him up well so we didn’t get a nasty shock. Not everyone did so well today in the waiting room so I think we were just grateful to see him alive. 

it was a long day. We were there for 12 hours. I am off to sleep. We’re gonna visit tomorrow and watch him sleep some more 

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

The tubes weren’t too bad! He had more tubes when he had gut surgery. He did have a lot but they were bundled together and Tina the nurse covered him up well so we didn’t get a nasty shock. Not everyone did so well today in the waiting room so I think we were just grateful to see him alive. 

it was a long day. We were there for 12 hours. I am off to sleep. We’re gonna visit tomorrow and watch him sleep some more 

Don't feel like you have to spend too much time at the hospital tomorrow. It's the day after when he'll start knowing who is around.

• Like 3

Current Challenge