Forums are back in action! ×

Bouncer's Operation Bad*ss

I'm hoping to maintain the curiosity of how many challenges this will take me... this is the "epic log" of quest tallying. Also "check-in" for each challenge.

Main Operation to meet my Badass Self I have never met! I would like to try a career change, that requires me to pass a Fitness Test. Looking over the requirements to get at least 1 point  for each test, had me "go I would have to be a badass to even do that!?"

Here are the requirements for getting enough to be enough to earn 1 point of 20. 

I realized the actual tests are hidden a bit (change probably due to requirements as this career is going under changes). But once I hit below, I know I can start contacting people and move onto the next steps (because damn my habits will have to be solid to get to this... I haven't "accidently" did a successful pushup since I was 22...)

Decided to dive in now, becuase things are lining up. 

Vertical Jump  Test  - 9.1 inches 

giphy.webp?cid=790b76116fnuvpdej5u0y26xtchmh4zp9swryw7blu223zl2&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.webp&ct=g

Sit-ups in a minute - 11

Shocked Wake Up GIF by GritTV

300 Meter Dash - 114 secondsWonder Woman GIF by Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Push-ups in 1 min - 4

push up channel 9 GIF by Australian Ninja Warrior

1.5 mile run in 21 mins

Star Wars gif. Daisy Ridley as Rey and John Boyega as Finn in Star Wars: The Force Awakens run away from a massive explosion in the desert.

2000 meter Row 8 mins 44 seconds (to pass, from another test)

Drag Race Ok GIF by TAZO

• Like 6

"Operation Bad*ss" Starts 9/1/2024

Quest 1: Level up Basecamp

So still in the last challenge, but I have my last holiday weekend this weekend(will start working through holidays). I am thinking of going to my local community center where they have a track, and maybe space for a run through the test my baseline is. Numbers to help me just do better than my current self :)

My plan is to take time on Week 0 to go to a "check-in". To evaluate and remind me what my personal badass goal is. 

9/1/2024

• Vertical Jump:
  • Sit-ups in 1 min:
  • 300 meter dash time:
  • Push-ups in 1 min: I know this is going to be zero
  • Most Difficult Pushup variation I can do 1 rep in: 
  • 1.5 mile "run"/walk time:
  • 2000 meters Rowing time: 

history channel pain GIF by HISTORY UK

(going to avoid injury of course, but want to see where my limits are)

• Like 3

Go get it! Would definitely take a look at what you are eating too if you're making big changes to your activity. Have to keep that fuel running everything. 

• Like 2

"I can do this all day!" - Captain America

"You're much stronger than you think you are" - Superman

"I am Groot" - Groot.... I feel like this one really says it all

Never forget the "P" in PR stands for personal.  Encourage other people's accomplishments.

Previous challenges: 1st , 2nd  , 3rd  , 4th

25 minutes ago, Legolas "Cap" Greenleaf said:

Go get it! Would definitely take a look at what you are eating too if you're making big changes to your activity. Have to keep that fuel running everything. 

Thank you!

Have been watching my eating for a while (especially this summer). I'm meal planning a lot of whole food meals and finally seeing how I can save/and stay full of starting to add beans/lentils other plant proteins. Along with cutting out extras. Realized when writing this I might need to keep more snacks into my meal plan as my hunger cues will probably go up. Right now I follow the 3 meals and 2-3 snacks approach. Sharing my weekly meal plan on my challenges. 

• Like 2

Sooo Friday night I went on a very late rabbit hole after messaging a coworker that is also currently in school to get into this field. He let me know the main part of the test is actually the rowing above... the extras I have above are for a "elite" test. The information I found on the rowing was the correct for rowing! Okay cool information. Didn't need to go down a rabbit hole right? Wrong...

I ended up finding a grant that was what I was hoping was out there (I had read a flyer back last Spring about it). Found out its actually a brank spankin' new grant program. To help people like me who have a degree in a different field, and can't stop working full time and pay thousands of dollars to enter a field that wasn't part of their degree (I've heard the estimates they were shocking). Basically, if you get into a programed position, you are in a immediately paid position and do 8 months of intense schooling to get about 2 years of training into 1. Then you work the job you were hired for full time!

Heidi Klum Wow GIF by Lifetime

I stayed up WAY TOO late reading about this. Okay, why does this matter? 

I thought I missed the deadline. Technically, I did for the first round that starts this fall. But... I found out they had renewed a 2nd round, and are currently doing the application process for organization that will be announced in November... AKA in November I have a chance to apply to positions and if I get in. I could be starting school in February or March. 

SMART goals are becoming clear here... clearer than I was anticipating. 

So going to edit the above challenge to focus on push-ups and rowing (and find out what is the timing I should be targeting).  I will be still working on the same thing I was planning, but upping the heat directly on one exercise for now. 

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

AWESOME!!! I am so stoked for you! Cheering you on as always!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rowing? Grants?? Badassary?!? I am insanely curious about what this new field is (but understand if you're keeping it under wraps for privacy reasons!). Best of luck levelling up - I'll be rooting for you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel

Fairy tales do not start, nor do they end, in the dark forest (Ted Lasso)
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21/21

CURRENT CHALLENGE: Mindful Magic

On 9/2/2024 at 9:25 PM, Sovalis said:

AWESOME!!! I am so stoked for you! Cheering you on as always!

Thank you! Glad to have you here!

8 hours ago, athousandwords said:

Rowing? Grants?? Badassary?!? I am insanely curious about what this new field is (but understand if you're keeping it under wraps for privacy reasons!). Best of luck levelling up - I'll be rooting for you!

Seriously, I want to talk about it and all the actual details but I see *hazard lights* to be careful who I discuss with this. Upside of me keeping it private is if it pivots to something else, it will just be a good ride!

Only people I have talked about this is 2 friends, the rest is connections to help me see the bigger part of the career. Which is not like me.... Thank you for understanding and wishing me luck :)

---

So things are still going in this direction and I'm having a hard time managing my energy around it because it's exciting!

I decided to keep career talk here going forward due to this is the "overall badassery" while my challenges will be "doing the work tracking."  

But first my scores for fitness level!

I can row 2000 meters under 14 mins! I wasn't even sure if I could do it. I have a lot of work to do, but I will get there! (I have a photo on my phone of actual numbers). 

Also, I'm at Counter top pushup variable and a lot stronger than I thought. 

Physical therapy and Chriro are going to help me align my body up better, and with consistency of finding ways to move I know I will get stronger!

Okay status update on career opportunities. I talked to a family member, first one that I think when I asked for help in the last 10 years of life gave me zero shame for our current relationship and 100% good advice. They been in the field for years one way or another (I have other relatives also but one passed away when I was 10, and the other it wasn't a good fit). 

So, I'm shadowing on Saturday for an evening shift, and able to not only talk with one person who has recently entered the field but also my relative made sure I could to female workers in the feild. Relative recommended I apply to a volunteer opportunity they are part of... realize I may need to brush up on references because one doesn't really need calls with their life situation. 

Can I use a professor that I haven't talked to in 3 years from a different field? 

Okay that's a lot, right? Today I was given an email from my relative that they found that where he works is applying for the grant I found above. What?!? Hit!  Right away, my relative is working on making a meeting for me. It may or may not happen.

But this is how I feel: 

ron burgundy GIF

It's been 10 days since I had the thought, "huh, I could do that career couldn't I?"

Next to the shadowing on Saturday...  I realize now I need to go clothes shopping. Because I have no professional clothes to talk to a "HIGH" level person. 

Give you an idea I was doing Rec and Park (jeans and wooshy dress shirt are 100% seen as a perfect thing for interviews/meetings, or wearing work uniforms/t-shirts). This career will be more "dry/cut professionalism". Like getting a suit like outfit for a meeting wouldn't be over the top... and I'm like I haven't bought that type of professional clothing since high school band and speech...  Talked to a friend to just be like "hey, you know professional wear. Where should I try? And how?" She gave me tips to enjoy the journey and let me know I live near a mall that has many options for me to explore. And she was able to share her recent story of moving from very different fields to another. 

Thankful I did have professional experiences in my life like Band and Speech (and more now looking back). Else I would be lost, because I'm kind of jealous guys are "button up shirts, tie combo". 

Let's see what happens now? Lol

Now back to every day things. 

• Like 3

Refreshed my references. Realize I have quite a few people I can pick and choose from. Decided to choose 1 coworker and 2 higher ups in my Security field.  Everyone quickly agreed. Accidently found out my manager is also able to write a reference letter whenever I need one. 

Sent in the application for the volunteer opportunity.  

Asked family member for wardrobe suggestions. He recommended Business Casual and to avoid going over the top. Okay, I can do that with some extra funds my mom is sending my way. And I see 100s of examples daily through my current job. Just definitely need a new shirt, before the meeting. 

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 2

On 9/5/2024 at 9:57 AM, Loveable_Bouncer said:

Asked family member for wardrobe suggestions. He recommended Business Casual and to avoid going over the top. Okay, I can do that with some extra funds my mom is sending my way. And I see 100s of examples daily through my current job. Just definitely need a new shirt, before the meeting. 

Okay, realized yesterday why I loathe clothing shopping and being plus sized.... Realized the two shirts I have are better than anything I found. 

I have to order online for something better. 

I did find shirts for "outings/daily" life that made me go "ooh nice, and were under $10 each). 

So now I know. 

---

Did shadowing yesterday, after a VERY busy day. 

The comment of "you are being quiet."  Came up, and I tried to explain it (my personality seems to have no inbetween).  It was for a night shift shadow and as superhero work goes, night gets worst. 

I 100% see I need to meditate probably part of my  challenge now (as I'm avoiding it). If I want to go into the field. I realized I'm more fatigued from not letting go the little I saw on a bad night sleep. 

Glad I got all my main stuff done yesterday. 

Need to hit up the gym, but REALLY happy I start my walking job tomorrow for much needed stamina boost. 

• Like 3

Excited this is moving along for you! And I love that you're getting opportunities to shadow and talk to people in the field. A career change is full of so many unknowns; I'm glad you've good good guides to help get you through.

• Like 1

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel

Fairy tales do not start, nor do they end, in the dark forest (Ted Lasso)
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21/21

CURRENT CHALLENGE: Mindful Magic

21 hours ago, athousandwords said:

Excited this is moving along for you! And I love that you're getting opportunities to shadow and talk to people in the field. A career change is full of so many unknowns; I'm glad you've good good guides to help get you through.

Thank you!

My family member said someone else wanted to meet me, but will have to see. Realized this morning I need to pack my nice clothes to work in case they want to see me after my job real quick. 

I haven't been able to hit the rower or pushup training in about a week. But today at work I walked 14k while training. So will make progress on my career fitness goals even if I can't quite think it through. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Loveable_Bouncer said:

My family member said someone else wanted to meet me, but will have to see. Realized this morning I need to pack my nice clothes to work in case they want to see me after my job real quick. 

This doesn't matter as much as you'd think. As long as you're not dressed like a hobo, you don't necessarily need nice clothes for this.

When I had just graduated (20 years ago), I tended to make an effort for every job interview. There were a few exceptions where I only got informed at the last minute and didn't have time to change into something nicer. I had a higher rate of acceptance to the ones I *hadn't* made an effort for.

And this was 20 years ago, I think the dress code rules have become even more casual since then.

• Like 2

TimovieMan: funnier than you think he is; not as funny as he thinks he is...

Active challenges: Don't log, remain sensible | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

Old threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII

On 9/10/2024 at 4:37 AM, TimovieMan said:

This doesn't matter as much as you'd think. As long as you're not dressed like a hobo, you don't necessarily need nice clothes for this.

When I had just graduated (20 years ago), I tended to make an effort for every job interview. There were a few exceptions where I only got informed at the last minute and didn't have time to change into something nicer. I had a higher rate of acceptance to the ones I *hadn't* made an effort for.

And this was 20 years ago, I think the dress code rules have become even more casual since then.

Hard part on taking the advice is that it is a male dominated field.. but I think for me the dress code was more confidence. 

I was able to talk down my anxiety around being "hot and sweaty" due to my day job now being 6 hours of walking around. A/C doesn't seem to help with that much movement. 

===

Update! 

I 100% need more experience in the field lol... It hit me a bit hard Thursday night. But that's what I knew when I contacted my family member. I now have goals to work on volunteer and shadowing (which is the type of experience they need when proposing me to the State/any higher ups for the grant or similar grants). Also a way for me to see if I want to do this career? Since it is a difficult career. 

Goals outside of fitness:

• 200 shadow experiences (the more variety through out the state the better)
  • Volunteer time: 600 hours (this was an example... but 100% is a number to go for to see how committed/do I want to keep going). 

I realized its been quite a few years since I volunteered. But the city I can volunteer for is the same group as my family member and will give me all the incite if I want to stay with them to get training. Or find a different way to pay up my training so I can work in rural MN right away. 

Tonight I have a phone call to start up the volunteer time. Else I 100% need to work on my base for a bit to be ready for weird hour shadowing times. 

• Like 3