Forums are back in action! ×

New Anime?

definitely samurai champloo. without a doubt the best art in an anime. i think it was made by the same team behind cowboy bebop, which is also amazing. also highly recommend FLCL. if you want something a little more offbeat, check out chromatie high school (i think that's how it's spelt). it's about a group of teenage boys at a highschool for delinquents that face existential crisis' on a daily basis, and it's funny as hell.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AZSF - lvl 4 assassin

STR - 9 | DEX - 12 | STA - 10.5 | CON - 7 | WIS - 8.5 | CHA - 1

Ok, I've decided to watch Korra. Should I watch Avatar first? I've never seen the show, but watched the movie against my will. Didn't particularly care for it though, probably because it was against my will. I know that watching the anime isn't necessary, so my question is should I not must I.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Ok, I've decided to watch Korra. Should I watch Avatar first? I've never seen the show, but watched the movie against my will. Didn't particularly care for it though, probably because it was against my will. I know that watching the anime isn't necessary, so my question is should I not must I.

You don't have to, it kinda explains what has happened, although they don't do a very good job. The comic that has come out is a bridge between A:TLA and Korra. But if you want a full experience, I would watch The Last Airbender first. It really sets the mood for everything.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|Ogre Monk|

My Challenge to all NF'ers

My biggest problem with the movie (not saying I didn't have problem with lackluster acting, special effects, etc.) was my logic beats the movie's. If you can control air, you can control water, fire and earth. Water, all you have to do is create an air pressure around a section of water and make that area more dense than water, causing you to control the captured water. For fire, you can create a wind to move the fire or change the contents of the air to be more flammable and create an explosion or expand the fire. For earth, see water. There was no point in training him to control the rest when he can learn to master air, right?

Level 1 Woodwose

I've actually seen a lot of these anime series. I was looking for more recent releases, if I can get any recommendations.

Anime I Have Loved:

Fullmetal Alchemist (and Brotherhood), Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Yuu Yuu Hakusho, Fushigi Yuugi, Ouran High School Host Club, Black Butler, Ranma 1/2, Sailor Moon (and R and S and Super S), Slayers (and Next and Try), Trigun, Noir, Fruits Basket, Chobits, Azumanga Daioh, One Piece, Cardcaptor Sakura, Witch Hunter Robin, Soul Eater, Tsubasa, Saiyuki, Angelic Layer, Avatar: Last Airbender

Anime I Have Liked:

Elfen Lied, Air, InuYasha, Claymore, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Excel Saga, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Code Geass, Full Metal Panic!, Orphen, Love Hina, Baccano!, Ah! My Goddess, Mohoromatic

Anime I Have Meh'd:

Naruto, Bleach, Ceres, FLCL, Golden Boy

Anime I May or May Not Want to Kill With Fire:

Black Butler II, Loveless

Hopefully this helps.

After typing this all out, I feel like a tool. But I spent a while typing it all up, sooooo... if anyone would like to write a similar list in reply, I would not object. Anime circlejerks are fun, anyway =P

Emily
Human Adventurer
STR: 2 DEX: 3 STA: 1 CON: 2 WIS: 4 CHA: 3

you meh'd FLCL?? oh the arguments we could have :P

but i do notice that nowhere on your lists is POKEMON! on a slightly more serious note (because seriously, you should watch pokemon), have you seen eureka 7? pretty decent, worth checking out at least.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AZSF - lvl 4 assassin

STR - 9 | DEX - 12 | STA - 10.5 | CON - 7 | WIS - 8.5 | CHA - 1

but i do notice that nowhere on your lists is POKEMON! on a slightly more serious note (because seriously, you should watch pokemon), have you seen eureka 7? pretty decent, worth checking out at least.

I figured Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, etc were pretty much a given. Also, I loved these anime as a child, but can't really stomach them any more. So it would be difficult to figure out where I'd put them (nostalgia goggles vs. current feelings). I've heard good things about Eureka 7, so I'll put that on my to-do list. And oh yes, I meh'd FLCL. And there is no argument that could change my mind lol many have tried, and none shall succeed =P

Emily
Human Adventurer

I see that TTGL (Gurren Lagann) is not on your list. I really enjoyed it myself, definitely in my top 5 and a contender for #1 easily. It does start off kind of childish, but it's pretty darn awesome in my opinion.

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 4 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 2

I see that TTGL (Gurren Lagann) is not on your list. I really enjoyed it myself, definitely in my top 5 and a contender for #1 easily. It does start off kind of childish, but it's pretty darn awesome in my opinion.

That's good to know, actually. Once I get my hands on it, I'll stick through it if it bothers me. That can sometimes be my downfall lol For instance, I hated Gintama's first episode, so I haven't been able to convince myself to keep watching. Apparently some people call it "anime crack", though. So I may try again...

Emily
Human Adventurer

She's gonna get off easy when you hear what I have to say... I would put FLCL in the "Anime I May or May Not Want to Kill With Fire" category... I could not stand it, it just didn't make any sense to me.

Level 1 Woodwose

She's gonna get off easy when you hear what I have to say... I would put FLCL in the "Anime I May or May Not Want to Kill With Fire" category... I could not stand it, it just didn't make any sense to me.

rofl XD the point is that it doesn't make sense. Though the most fun I had was on websites explaining.

Some believe it's actually a Neon Genesis Evangelion parody!

Basically it takes a stab at things, that's what it is.

Also why are we discussing avatar as an anime?! it has me rolling around laughing really.

You do realize that anime = japanese animation and that avatar is pretty much american animation... right? right?

Anyway. As for my list...

10/10 animes (shit I just really love)

Wolf's Rain, ef - a tale of memories, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, No.6 (and more see at the bottom)

Okay anime (9-6)

Trigun, Serial Experiments Lain, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Durarara!!, Air, FLCL, Yakitate!! Japan (anime about bread? yup), Cowboy Bebop, Grenadier

Stuff I dropped:

Naruto Shippuuden, Bleach

And then there's about 25 anime on my plan to watch list.

And the full thing is here: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/ravashi (114 on completed list, whoop)

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

Honestly, I try to always look for things that are new. I'm not one of those people who think that once a thing gets popular, it's crap. I on the other hand believe that most people like the basics and try to stay really close to those genre. I implore you to spread your horizons and try other genres as well. Things that away from the mainstream as well. It usually has something amazing to offer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|Ogre Monk|

rofl XD the point is that it doesn't make sense. Though the most fun I had was on websites explaining.

Some believe it's actually a Neon Genesis Evangelion parody!

Basically it takes a stab at things, that's what it is.

Also why are we discussing avatar as an anime?! it has me rolling around laughing really.

You do realize that anime = japanese animation and that avatar is pretty much american animation... right? right?

That may have been why I didn't like FLCL. But I wouldn't mind working in a giant Iron factory. Haha

Avatar may be an American animation, but it is styled and themed after Japanese animation, and someone else brought it up in this thread before me, so I thought I would instead of creating another thread.

And I would create a list, but I can't think what I've seen and how much I liked it.

Level 1 Woodwose

Honestly, I try to always look for things that are new. I'm not one of those people who think that once a thing gets popular, it's crap. I on the other hand believe that most people like the basics and try to stay really close to those genre. I implore you to spread your horizons and try other genres as well. Things that away from the mainstream as well. It usually has something amazing to offer.

Was that directed at me, or someone else? I don't follow.

That may have been why I didn't like FLCL. But I wouldn't mind working in a giant Iron factory. Haha

Avatar may be an American animation, but it is styled and themed after Japanese animation, and someone else brought it up in this thread before me, so I thought I would instead of creating another thread.

And I would create a list, but I can't think what I've seen and how much I liked it.

hahaha. oh man yes the iron factory... it's a metaphor I believe. But I'm not sure. To be honest I probably saw FLCL too many times, and still kept with the "wtf am I watching". Though last time I started it, I was like meh and then went on to watch something else!

True, makes it anime-styled animation :) I don't take offense, it's just funny how that happens so often these days.

Besides the last airbender is cool, as well as Korra. So by all means!

I know what you mean by that, that's why I'm really happy I kept up with myanimelist so I can just use that for reference! I'm not really into anime watching these days... actually not watching anything else either.

Spoiler

@ Kibcy, No, just a general reference.

And Anime is actually just short for animation, just people consider it to mean Japanese Animation. Honestly, it's all cartoons, anime, animations, moving illustrations, etc, etc. Just another word to make something seem different then another.

EDIT: Just wanted to pull this from Wikipedia: In Japan, the term anime does not specify an animation's nation of origin or style; instead, it serves as a blanket term to refer to all forms of animation from around the world.

Although, in America, it's used to to originate animation from Japan.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|Ogre Monk|

@ Kibcy, No, just a general reference.

And Anime is actually just short for animation, just people consider it to mean Japanese Animation. Honestly, it's all cartoons, anime, animations, moving illustrations, etc, etc. Just another word to make something seem different then another.

EDIT: Just wanted to pull this from Wikipedia: In Japan, the term anime does not specify an animation's nation of origin or style; instead, it serves as a blanket term to refer to all forms of animation from around the world.

Although, in America, it's used to to originate animation from Japan.

oh lol, haha, but I agree anyway :)

That is true. But I'm not from Japan :P

And I was indeed going for the American variety of the meaning.

I don't see us discussing spiderman or whatever in here.

Spoiler

I don't see us discussing spiderman or whatever in here.

That's because the only Spiderman cartoon worth watching was the one on MTV: Spider-Man: The New Animated Series

Well, for me it is.

Level 1 Woodwose

Archived