Forums are back in action! ×

New Anime?

LOL and so we're discussing spiderman XD

I just thought of it due to reading a review of the new movie lol.

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

I do think animation is developing in a lot of interesting directions that it couldn't before in America. I think we might even see something approaching anime in its scope and artistry someday. But... I dunno. It'll have to find someway to walk between Dexter's Lab and Spongebob on the one hand and Archer and Venture Bros. on the other. I just don't think the studios here are convinced there's a market yet.

let japan make anime, and the west can make western animation i say. cultural differences are usually what make anime interesting. tho it could be interesting to see a serious western animation for adults (like a western akira equivalent). these days, western animation is basically for kids and/or comedy.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AZSF - lvl 4 assassin

STR - 9 | DEX - 12 | STA - 10.5 | CON - 7 | WIS - 8.5 | CHA - 1

True, and the comedy usually tries to hit the late teens to early twenties market and doesn't attempt anything else.

Plus generally the same type of comedy anyway.

I just think the funniest part is that anime started in the west! Disney to be exact.

Some Japanese person worked at Disney and really liked the big eyes they were using. Then went back to Japan and kind of started off anime over there.

Which then evolved into what we know today.

But yes, the themes and types of anime you can find in Japan...

In the western world it has such a different image. Animation comes from Disney for kids, or those "crappy" tv shows with their over stylized art.

This is stretching in recent times with shows like The last airbender/Korra... though they still focus on a yong(er) audience.

So among common people (like my coworkers lol) Japanese anime is known for either extreme violence or extreme sexual content.

I always try to explain it as "in anime you have pretty much the same genres as in movies". So far people have been willing to hear me out and change their stand point :)

Spoiler

I just think the funniest part is that anime started in the west! Disney to be exact.

Some Japanese person worked at Disney and really liked the big eyes they were using. Then went back to Japan and kind of started off anime over there.

Which then evolved into what we know today.

Do you mean Osamu Tezuka? He's called the 'God of Manga' and is one of the biggest influences on how manga and anime developed. He never worked at Disney, but was influenced by the art style.

I didn't see Utena on anyone's list -- it's important to how shoujo anime developed like Eva is important to the development of shonen anime.

Princess Jellyfish (about nerds) is an excellent fairly new series. Princess Tutu (about fairytales, with a duck that does ballet) is an excellent less new series.

If you want manga recs, Ooku (Fumi Yoshinaga) and Pluto (Naoki Urasawa, same manga-ka as Monster) are both excellent.

Do you mean Osamu Tezuka? He's called the 'God of Manga' and is one of the biggest influences on how manga and anime developed. He never worked at Disney, but was influenced by the art style.

I didn't see Utena on anyone's list -- it's important to how shoujo anime developed like Eva is important to the development of shonen anime.

Princess Jellyfish (about nerds) is an excellent fairly new series. Princess Tutu (about fairytales, with a duck that does ballet) is an excellent less new series.

If you want manga recs, Ooku (Fumi Yoshinaga) and Pluto (Naoki Urasawa, same manga-ka as Monster) are both excellent.

Oops!! yes, did it from memory... shouldn't have!

Never heard of Utena!! I should check it out then I guess??

Spoiler

Never heard of Utena!! I should check it out then I guess??

Man, I feel old. :D

Utena is from the mid 90s, same as Eva, and yeah, check it out. (Also know as Revolutionary Girl Utena) It's split up into three story arcs of 13 episodes each -- the first one seems to be random and makes no sense, but they're doing something interesting, I promise, and the bits that didn't make sense the first time make more sense if you watch it again and know what's going on.

Also why are we discussing avatar as an anime?! it has me rolling around laughing really.

You do realize that anime = japanese animation and that avatar is pretty much american animation... right? right?

"Anime" is a term that the Japanese would use for ALL animation, not just Japanese animation, even though the West has changed its meaning. And many anime nerds refer to Avatar as an anime because of its similarities. Just check out all the Avatar fanart among the "real" anime fanart at cons.

ALSO, WIKIPEDIA AGREES WITH ME.

"In Japan, the term anime does not specify an animation's nation of origin or style; instead, it serves as a blanket term to refer to all forms of animation from around the world.[17][18] English-language dictionaries define anime as "a Japanese style of motion-picture animation" or as "a style of animation developed in Japan".[19][20]

Non-Japanese works that borrow stylization from anime are commonly referred to as "anime-influenced animation" but it is not unusual for a viewer who does not know the country of origin of such material to refer to it as simply "anime". Some works result from co-productions with non-Japanese companies, such as most of the traditionally animated Rankin/Bass works, the Cartoon Network and Production I.G series IGPX or Ōban Star-Racers; different viewers may or may not consider these anime."

ALSO...

WIKIPEDIA AGREES WITH ME.

:tongue:

Emily
Human Adventurer
STR: 2 DEX: 3 STA: 1 CON: 2 WIS: 4 CHA: 3

Man, I feel old. :D

Utena is from the mid 90s, same as Eva, and yeah, check it out. (Also know as Revolutionary Girl Utena) It's split up into three story arcs of 13 episodes each -- the first one seems to be random and makes no sense, but they're doing something interesting, I promise, and the bits that didn't make sense the first time make more sense if you watch it again and know what's going on.

This also makes me feel strangely uncomfortable... lol I remember when RGU first got big in anime circles...

Although, I've heard people say: "Tenchi Muyo? What's that?!"

This is far more disturbing to me lol It was even on "normal" TV!!

EDIT: KIBCY!! You're older than I am!! WHY YOU NO KNOW UTENA???

Emily
Human Adventurer
STR: 2 DEX: 3 STA: 1 CON: 2 WIS: 4 CHA: 3

Are we still passing around recs? Not willing to get into the is-it-anime discussion. I saw that some of these have been recommended, but here's my list:

Things I know were recommended, but I'm seconding/thirding/fifthing:

TLA

Korra

Naruto (if you start from the beginning it will legit take you years to catch up. My fiance and I JUST got caught up... after 3 years of watching)

Samurai Champloo (hilarious)

I didn't see:

Elfen Lied (If you want to cry your eyes out for two weeks straight. So sad, but so good)

Fiance and I just started watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and I am liking that so far.

All of these are worthy choices. Enjoy your two weeks with no sleep!

"Anime" is a term that the Japanese would use for ALL animation, not just Japanese animation, even though the West has changed its meaning. And many anime nerds refer to Avatar as an anime because of its similarities. Just check out all the Avatar fanart among the "real" anime fanart at cons.

ALSO, WIKIPEDIA AGREES WITH ME.

"In Japan, the term anime does not specify an animation's nation of origin or style; instead, it serves as a blanket term to refer to all forms of animation from around the world.[17][18] English-language dictionaries define anime as "a Japanese style of motion-picture animation" or as "a style of animation developed in Japan".[19][20]

Non-Japanese works that borrow stylization from anime are commonly referred to as "anime-influenced animation" but it is not unusual for a viewer who does not know the country of origin of such material to refer to it as simply "anime". Some works result from co-productions with non-Japanese companies, such as most of the traditionally animated Rankin/Bass works, the Cartoon Network and Production I.G series IGPX or Ōban Star-Racers; different viewers may or may not consider these anime."

ALSO...

WIKIPEDIA AGREES WITH ME.

:tongue:

If you look a bit beyond my post on that, you can see that it has already been discussed :)

This also makes me feel strangely uncomfortable... lol I remember when RGU first got big in anime circles...

Although, I've heard people say: "Tenchi Muyo? What's that?!"

This is far more disturbing to me lol It was even on "normal" TV!!

EDIT: KIBCY!! You're older than I am!! WHY YOU NO KNOW UTENA???

BECAUSE I LIVE IN THE NETHERLANDS?!? IDK!

Anime isn't really popular/known much around here. But I also never heard about it on conventions?!

Just so you know: there's no anime on tv here as far as I know!!!

Well okay, we have Pokemon... in Dutch -cringe-

We've had DragonBall Z and Card Captor Sakura and Sailor Moon and a few others when I was still in school....

It got all canceled I guess.

Spoiler

Archived