Forums are back in action! ×

What makes you exercise?

Ghost

Is there any sort of driving force that makes you exercise?

Or is it just rock solid determination, a will of steel, and the discipline of a jedi?

Most people don't enjoy exercise, but those that enjoy it usually don't see it as a chore.

Let's discuss (put's on Doctor Phil face)

for me it is multi-purpose.

for one, I love the feeling of a nice burn after a good exercise(even though beforehand I may dread it).

Two, I truly, beyond words, LOVE, how it makes me stronger, faster, and better than I was before. I guess that is the driving force for me...being faster, stronger, and healthier than I was 20 years ago.

That and knowing that 20 years from now, I will still be awesome makes all the difference. I wish I knew then, what I know now, when I was 20...damn how awesome would I be at 46!

that, and I see so many people in my generation dying slowly of ...'being unhealthy', that it helps push me along as I get older...though to be honest, I do not feel much over 25...even if I look it! lol

I guess to me an awful lot comes down to how fit you are, and what you do to stay fit.

When I was first trying to get in shape, it's fairly safe to say all my motivation was negative: I hated how I looked, and didn't want to end up diabetic like my mum and grandmother before her. My exercise efforts were similarly negative: stupid stuff like taking my iPad down to the gym loaded up with TV shows just to force myself to stay on a cardio machine for 40 minutes. I hate cardio machines!

But send me outdoors with a nice walking route, and I can pretty much keep going all day! Doesn't take a genius to figure out which I'm going to struggle less with for motivation...

Exercise certainly becomes more enjoyable when you're already in good shape, so I know having broken through that pain barrier was important. But I was kind of interested in thinking about your question to realise I've not only found what's right for me (walking, dancing, Pilates, and weight lifting), but my motivation is more positive too: doing activities you love because they're fun and make you feel great really doesn't require much by way of motivation or willpower!

before getting off my butt was hard... even though my mom would lecture me and try to motivate me... I just... really rather sat on the couch.

pretty much what Rhiarti is saying.

But now I just keep my eyes on what I want.

I want to be stronger and healthier.

Most important of all, I found something I really wish I could do: parkour

So I feel motivated to work toward that. Plus if I would manage to do parkour, I would conquer so many personal things! WOW.

Really with my eyes on parkour, I don't need any more motivation.

Whenever I feel like I'd rather stay seated, I just think "parkour" and I pretty much automatically get up.

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

Hmm, I've always struggled to make myself exercise. I know what I want, I know how to do it, but I just can't make myself got through with it.

I've lost count of the times I've said tomorrow is the day, or now is when I will do it, and I always fail.

Hmm, I've always struggled to make myself exercise. I know what I want, I know how to do it, but I just can't make myself got through with it.

I've lost count of the times I've said tomorrow is the day, or now is when I will do it, and I always fail.

Is there something that would make you super excited to work toward?

Maybe set up a goal/quest with an awesome reward for working out!

Besides parkour, I keep myself motivated through my quests in my quest log!!

And otherwise, maybe ask yourself "why?" demand an explanation from yourself.

Why are you not exercising right now? Why are you feeling so unmotivated.

What's holding you back?

Make a list of all the reasons you have for not exercising, then try to find a way to eliminate those reasons.

(Are they excuses, or valid reasons? If it's a valid reason, what can you do about it?)

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

I used to be the same way, I lacked the discipline to workout at home, so I joined a gym and an expensive one for extra motivation not to waste my monthly fee.

For me it is a mix of the fact that I love to challenge myself, and the soothing feeling of accomplishment when I'm done with my workout. It feels even better if I didn't feel like working out at all while I was on my way to the gym. Seeing the changes (and having other people notice too), is a very nice plus as well.

I struggled a bit at first to stay motivated, especially after my girlfriend dropped out of our "We're going to get healthy in the New Year!" plan pretty quickly, but once I started seeing changes taking place and new muscles forming where nothing had been before, I became addicted. Now my obsession with the mirror has become a little ridiculous as I'm always hunting for a new cut or curve or bulge that wasn't there the previous week, and I know that's only going to continue if I keep hitting the weights.

I enjoy weightlifting. It took me a long time before working out wasn't a chore. I don't really enjoy running and for a year or so was going to the gym to run on the treadmill. Couldn't stand it and it was a chore and I evetually quit. I tried lifting again and I enjoy it, and since I've been hooked. I look forward to my gym days.

Also, after movin in wiht ym now wife and now living with grandparents, having obligations almost every weekend with friends and family (while most of the times fun, still something I HAVE to do), working out is the only thing I have these days that is MINE. I don't have to consider other people's feelings or thoughts about what I'm going to do there, I program for ME. It's nice to have something like that and I think it contributes to why I like going so much.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

For me, it was also finding the right "fit" for me. There are so many ways to be active and healthy. Don't follow social norms and expectations. I don't believe every body is built to be a runner, or that every mind is built to enjoy the serenity or challenge of hiking or yoga, or that everyone will get the same high from lifting weights. Choosing the right workout plan for me was what's motivated me. Seeing my body change keeps me going, and the way I feel after not working out for three days reminds me why I started in the first place.

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Or is it just rock solid determination, a will of steel, and the discipline of a jedi?

It's totally just that I have ^that. I swear.

Okay, no really I don't at all. It's just that I love what I do in the gym, and I love feeling my body get stronger and be able to do more awesome things that I didn't use to be able to do. Plus, I start to go a little crazy when I haven't been in a few days.

Also:

...working out is the only thing I have these days that is MINE. I don't have to consider other people's feelings or thoughts about what I'm going to do there, I program for ME. It's nice to have something like that and I think it contributes to why I like going so much.

That's a big part of it for me, too. I am a stay-at-home mom to two very small children. The entirety of every day for me is about taking care of every tiny need of everyone else, and there is no end to the illogical whims of toddlers. I don't get weekends off, I don't get sick days, I don't get anything that's just about doing what I want to do. For me to stay sane, I have to go spend some me-time with the weights.

Is there a way to do it without needing to exercise for the sake of exercise?

I'm fairly active, but it's less because I'm in love formal exercise and more because it's part of other things like socializing (playing a sport, getting together to go climbing or kayaking, going on bike tours on vacation, belonging to the same gym as friends/partner/co-workers, etc), commuting (when I had a 6km commute to work I walked or biked in because it saved me the train fare), volunteering (help with charity construction or animal care is a workout in and of itself!) or just daily life (I have an active dog who gets himself into trouble if he doesn't get at least a 10km daily run in, if you or your family/friends have a large enough property the upkeep becomes exercise).

Exercise doesn't need to mean having a workout plan - it can just be a part of the other things that you do. Maybe that's easier?

Wood Elf Assassin
  -- Level 10 --
STR 26 | DEX 13 | STA 19 | CON 7 | WIS 14 | CHA 14

I'm gonna be a downer here, but it is all true for me.

I'm not to a place where I "enjoy" it yet. I do it because I look at my parents and I don't want to be them.

I run because it is faster than walking, but the part I look forward to most of my run is the nice cool shower afterwards. I do bodyweight exercises because I want to be toned, and because I can see some progress from it (I can do 7 full pushups in a row now).

I guess I was also tired of clothes not fitting right. They still don't, but that is more because I don't have the cash to rebuild my entire wardrobe every month or 2 with the weight I've lost.

Truth be told, if I could be anything in the world I'd be an F1 driver. Not for the money, or for the fame, but simply because I like to go fast. In order to get there (ignoring the fact that I am WAY too old to start, and female), I have to be in shape to be able to cope with the g-forces in the car. This means that I can't be a fat blob anymore.

I am in the "I do it because I need to" camp.

While I do enjoy working out, and how I feel afterward, AND the internal progress meter advancing, AND the better living, healthier life part, the truth is my first inclination is to grab a good book & a glass of wine or whiskey and read all night.

I'm lazy, but I am 44 and I want to be around when my 3yr old daughter becomes an adult and I don't want to be shuffling around like an invalid.

I'm a huge fan of playing sports, especially team sports. I, also, don't like to lose. So in an effort to not be picked last in dodgeball/baseball/football/basketball, I try to keep myself in reasonable shape. The more I'm invested in my game, the more I work out.

So, I recently joined a softball league and in the fall I'll probably try to join a basketball league. If nothing else, it keeps me active and gives me a reason to get faster, stronger, and better.

Mad Sci

Dwarf Warrior Level 1

STR: 3.5 DEX: 3 STA: 1.5 CON: 3 WIS: 3 CHA: 2

My Challenge/Fitocracy

By now, I've come to love exercise in all its forms—planning it, doing it, being dead-tired afterwards, and enjoying the benefits of better performance. It took me a long time and a lot of athletic experimentation to get to this point, but my motivation is now really dialed in.

Rowing provides really clear goals—there are two set distance pieces (2k and 6k) that are used universally—and infinite room for improvement. I've seen hard work turn into PRs, which keeps me going for the next one. When a single workout is just a piece of the puzzle, it's a lot less daunting than if I think about every day as the alpha-omega, so I know that if I put in the effort, good things will come.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

For me, skating isn't just enjoyable, but motivating as well. My push for improved general fitness and strength this year is entirely down to wanting better endurance on ice and bigger jumps.

Also I'm just a tad competitive. And ridiculously easily motivated by the possibility of winning badges/certificates/internet points.

"she interpreted falling down not merely as a means of improving, but as evidence that she was improving." - Matthew Syed on Shizuka Arakawa.Frost elf assassin after 4 challenges: STR: 11 | DEX: 12 | STA: 7.5 | CON 5 | WIS 7.5 | CHA: 5.5My Fitocracy profile"

Is there any sort of driving force that makes you exercise?

Most people don't enjoy exercise, but those that enjoy it usually don't see it as a chore.

Let's discuss (put's on Doctor Phil face)

Honestly, I don't see it as a chore. 3 things drive me to exercise:

My own enthusiasm. My main driving force to exercise is that I do a physical activity that I LOVE (circus arts) and love makes me train. Love makes me show up on the days I don't wanna, and love makes me do my conditioning & stretching on a daily basis. I would encourage everyone to have some love in their routine... even if it's only something you can do once a month (like a long hike with friends or scuba diving). It adds a whole new flavor to your training.

Social support. I know when I show up to train, I'm going to see friends. Maybe the other girls at my yoga studio are not my bestest buddies, but it's good to see them every week. AND, it feels good when teachers, friends and coaches notice the hard work you've been putting in at home too.

My body just loves to move. It wasn't always like this, I used to be more of a couch/mouse potato. But as I got into the swing of moving well and moving often, I've become one of those antsy people who gets up from my desk at work and does a lap around the floor or a set of stairs just because my body gets wiggly. And my body LOVES doing yoga, it just feels good.

Yeah, I ain't feeling Dr. Phil and the tough love approach. I think you need a little of that to get you going, but once you're going, you need to be on the search for things that feel good about exercising, and go after those. It's the carrot/stick thing... eventually you forget there was ever even a stick there and you're focused on that carrot.

-jj

NF: Treedwelling assasin. Druidish leanings. Gnome.  

IRL: Amateur circus geek.  Mad cook. Mom. Mad Max junkie. 

I think this quote that I read recently sums it up for me. It was from an interview with actress Virginia Madson.

When you're 35, you need to figure out what kind of 50 year old you want to be. Now that I'm 50, I'm thinking about what kind of 70 year old I want to be. I don't want to be walking around with a cane. I don't want to be negotiating too much weight. I want to be strong, lean and mean. Right now, I am. And I think it's important to realize that if you don't grab on to life, you're just going to be left behind. And there's no excuse for doing that. There's none.

--

Liz

Shameless plug for my online photo gallery

Check out my backyard bird feeders

for me, part of growing up was realizing that you can't just do what you want, but should do what you need to do... whether you enjoy it or not, it needs to be done... but if you plan properly with enough forethought, the road can be made more pleasant... just like aesop's ant and grasshopper fable... fortune favors those who are prepared... :)

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

I like to have a reason for doing things. Getting up early on a Sunday? Nah, not happening. Getting up early after four hours of sleep and with a b**ching hangover for a 9am seminar? No problem. It applies to exercise too (although I try to avoid exercising while hungover).

Tracking progress helps. Obviously it's nice to see improvement, but it also keeps me accountable. The tracking doesn't need to be public, I don't really care what other people think about my exercise habits, but for some reason it keeps me in the game.

And doing it consistently. That's important. The first step is always the hardest.

http://jackblog.org

Jack Blog | The Blog of Jack

Archived