Forums are back in action! ×

I'm getting published!

Sambalina

So, a few NF challenges ago I challenged myself to write an article for an academic journal and submit it in the hopes of becoming a publish writer. Well, the article got written, I completed my challenge! And I just found out today that it's been accepted for publication! In a real, live, international teaching journal! It's my first one and I am so happy and proud of myself! And I would never had done it if not for Nerd Fitness - Thank yo Steve and thank you all of you, you've made my year!!

W00T!!!

So many exclamation marks!!!

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

You are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! That is so exciting; congratulations! Way to complete your challenge, follow-through, and now have an awesome result!! :)

Race: Gallifreyan

Profession: Druid

Level: 6

Current Challenge:Livingroovy Comes Home

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

So many exclamation marks!!!

ALL THE EXCLAMATION MARKS!!!!!!!!

tumblr_m5b5udPzxm1qz6c0so1_500.png

Really, though. This is HUGE! Congratulations!

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs
Snatch: 93kg/205lb // Clean and Jerk: 113kg/248lb // Back Squat: 170kg/375lb

Spoiler

2016 USAW Senior Nationals - 6th place

2015 USAW American Open - 8th place
2015 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place
2014 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

2013 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

Congratulations!!!!

Dragon Rider (in training)

Adventure Class

STR-6.75/DEX-2/STA-5/CON-5/WIS-3/CHA-4.2

They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.

Andy Warhol

More will sometimes be demanded of you than is reasonable. Bear it meekly, and exhaust your time and strength in performing your duties, rather than vindicating your rights.

~ Horace Mann

Nerds, I need some help! They need 40 words about me to print with my article. I wasn't sure what to write so I thought I'd check out the bios of the authors in the sample edition available online. Um. Well. They are all WAY older and more experienced than me. The closest I was able to find was one guy with only 6 years experience. I have one. Yeah. One.

Them:

- Freelance writer, lecturer, and teacher. Involved in teaching English for over 15 years. Has specialties. Has a DELTA, a BA in Education and an MA in learning disabilities.

- Has publish widely, including article and whole books. Author of the British Council's Learn English website.

- Associate professor at a University.

- Owns his own English school. Teaching for 20 years. Has published several articles.

- Series editor for major ESL publication, taught for over 40 years in 9 countries. Published over 30 books.

- Teaching for eight years; teaching since 1993; teaching for 15 years; 20 years; University teacher for seven years; 18 years; six years;

They are all like this! No joke.

Me:

- Teaching for one year

- Taught in two countries, one of which in a truly crappy, ENTRY level job (ie: doesn't hold any professional prestige)

- I haven't published anything before

- I don't have specialties, don't work at a uni, don't have my own school.

- My degrees are unrelated to teaching.

What I do have to work with:

- I have taught at uni in NZ, but only as a contract lecturer for 5 weeks and not in English or education.

- I have taught a huge range of levels and ages.

- I do have interests (Like: empowering students in their education)

So, at first draft, I've got this:

[sambalina] currently works in South Korea. She has a BA in psychology and an MA in social anthropology. She is most interested in empowering students through their education, and helping them discover their own learning motivations.

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

What you have achieved makes me truly jealous. I was told to never write any academic articles, ever, by my tutor at the uni that put me through my teacher training, so I never have. I've been teaching for 4 years having been working in industry for 20 years before that. You've achieved in your first year what I can only dream of doing - I take my hat off to you and would love to read your article if it's ever posted somewhere linkable. Major WOOT and my very best wishes for the next one.

Widgetman - what the heck kind of advice is that for a tutor to give? Go for it! Give it a go - all they can do is say 'Thanks, but no thanks'.

Thank you for the support guys! No one understands nerdy woots like NF nerds!

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Nerds, I need some help! They need 40 words about me to print with my article. I wasn't sure what to write so I thought I'd check out the bios of the authors in the sample edition available online. Um. Well. They are all WAY older and more experienced than me. The closest I was able to find was one guy with only 6 years experience. I have one. Yeah. One.

Them:

- Freelance writer, lecturer, and teacher. Involved in teaching English for over 15 years. Has specialties. Has a DELTA, a BA in Education and an MA in learning disabilities.

- Has publish widely, including article and whole books. Author of the British Council's Learn English website.

- Associate professor at a University.

- Owns his own English school. Teaching for 20 years. Has published several articles.

- Series editor for major ESL publication, taught for over 40 years in 9 countries. Published over 30 books.

- Teaching for eight years; teaching since 1993; teaching for 15 years; 20 years; University teacher for seven years; 18 years; six years;

They are all like this! No joke.

Me:

- Teaching for one year

- Taught in two countries, one of which in a truly crappy, ENTRY level job (ie: doesn't hold any professional prestige)

- I haven't published anything before

- I don't have specialties, don't work at a uni, don't have my own school.

- My degrees are unrelated to teaching.

What I do have to work with:

- I have taught at uni in NZ, but only as a contract lecturer for 5 weeks and not in English or education.

- I have taught a huge range of levels and ages.

- I do have interests (Like: empowering students in their education)

So, at first draft, I've got this:

[sambalina] currently works in South Korea. She has a BA in psychology and an MA in social anthropology. She is most interested in empowering students through their education, and helping them discover their own learning motivations.

This is what I came up with. Technically, you are a teacher, a lecturer, and an freelance writer, even if it for a short time and this is your first article.

[samblina] currently works in South Korea as a (teacher?). She has a BA in psychology and an MA in social anthropology. She has lectured at (university) and has taught students at all levels. [samblina] strives to empower students in their education and help them discover their own learning motivations.

Try everything once. If it kills you don't do it again.Paleo- So Easy A Caveman Can Do It

CONGRATS!!! that's really awesome!!!

Also I second what SusieBlu wrote. :)

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

That's fantastic SusieBlu! I will definitely go with your one - sounds much better :D Thank you so much!

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Ooooh, I got published online (twice!).

SusieBlue - your bio re-write has now been immortalised on the internet :D Thank you so much!!

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Archived