Forums are back in action! ×

Let's talk about our crappy jobs.

missxgaia

Does that mean that I would die, or my nerd-dom would perish? Or both?

From what I hear, your nerd-dom perishes, as does your soul, but your body continues to live for a long long time.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Hmmm I can't really complain.... but I'm going to anyway! :D

So hi, I'm at work right now :D

I'm on the internet 99% of my work time, isn't that great?! Well until you get flipping bored, it is!

I'm just in a really interesting situation work wise. I have little to no supervision. I don't talk to my manager unless I'm ill, something's up or my evaluation is coming up. (or I get extra pay, always nice). In fact he's not around, literally, so I see him once a year at evaluation or if I feel inclined to go to work meetings in the evening.

It's because I work for a consulting company and get send out to clients to work there :D

I'm currently working for the Dutch Ministry of Defense.

I work with projects, that get handed to me. Currently my project count is ZERO.

Thanks to all cuts and everything projects have been scares.

So I made my own project, which I will finish today. Not sure what I'll be doing after today :D

But the client doesn't pay me. I get paid quite well to do nothing.

Already told my manager I want a different client... but in the current economic climate it's probably going to be a challenge.

You see the client wants to keep me... and this work is just... I mean if I do have a project... really a MONKEY could do it... seriously... everyone can connect A to B.

Other tasks I have are more complex though, whenever something goes wrong or things that have nothing to do with my job description.

Anyway... yeah... I don't like the type of work that I do anyway... but I'm not sure what I would like, so I'll just do this.

It pays my bills and leaves me with a nice monthly allowance. I make about 10 euro an hour. Not sure if that's much or not, but it's plenty. It's without vacation money and other bonuses and after taxes.

Next year I'll be making even more, which really came as a surprise to me as I don't feel I earned it... Then again with my work experience and all I seem to be getting too little. Like last year I got a 9.5% raise to compensate for it. haha.

So yeah it's not perfect, but it's not bad either.

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

My job sucks as well. I'm a stocker/ Recoverer for Big Lots Inc. :/ It was a great job during the summer, and the hours were amazing. Since school started in the Fall it has just been pure torture. They don't care about when I have class, and still schedule me during the week. Thankfully I was able to change that a few weeks in to the semester and I went down to working weekends. Now as soon as school gets out for the break, I ask for a FEW more hours during the week and they either don't want to schedule me or they give me 12 hour shifts.

I hate retail. And I need a new job ASAP

POOKY

Coming back from vacation with two weeks left of work. This was a bad idea. I'm seriously considering being sick tomorrow because they're ferrying me off to another cottage. Plus I'm not recovering from getting kicked by a horse the way I think I should be, so I'm considering trying to get in to see a doctor tomorrow. We'll see how I feel in the morning. If I was going to be working with my girls, it wouldn't be a question, but because I'm going to be sitting and feeling useless with kids I don't know... I don't even know if I'd be useful in a high risk incident, considering right now I'm crumbling in pain if anything touches my left side.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

I'm a Marine, which probably sounds really exciting, and really isn't very exciting at all.

It has its ups and downs like everything else, I guess. Most of what we do is deployment training, so if we're not deploying... we're not really doing anything. And then occasionally (like our field exercise last month), we do 2 weeks - 6 months of straight training or working, with limited amenities (hot water/showers, real food, regular clothing). After a while, you start missing things you take for granted: your own kitchen, stocking more than 1 six pack of beer in the fridge, making plans without worrying you'll have to cancel them, etc. On top of that, you get treated like a child a lot and sometimes your world gets flipped upside down and puts your free time or your career in jeapordy.

But the work is satisfying, and if you're single and living in the barracks, the pay is actually pretty good.

LVL 1 Ranger (STR 4, DEX 2, STA 3, CON 2, WIS 4, CHA 0)

First Challenge. "Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

Archived