Forums are back in action! ×

"Planny" the push doll that keeps you on track, needs a design!!

Siferiax

Okay, because we were kind of hijacking Tibi Fide's challenge thread with this... I decided to just make a thread over here.

Here's how it all went down:

I see this kind of thing commonly when viewing threads here. I think it is in our nerd makeup to setup the "perfect" plan that will give us exactly what we want to see because we all have the ability to look ahead and know what it takes to succeed in something. I think the problem is that in life and fitness there might be a lot of "just go with it and let it happen" involved, and that isn't planny (abusing writer's license to make up words) enough for us. So not letting small setbacks screw up your mentality is excellent, good work you guys.
I think "planny" is really cute! There should be a mascot named Planny!
Planny the NF mascot, keeping you on track. I like it.
This should be a thing. Awesome!
And yes, I think "planny" is a *great* word and deserves a plush incarnation.
If I wasn't just planning on making my first plushy and all... I'd totally be up for sewing a Planny plushy :D
Yes! Now you've just got to. I want one! lol
MEEP! That means Planny needs a design :o
I love "plannny' I know i need more "planny' I make my goals , set them out perfectly, but then if life happens and it doesn't go quite that way it is easy to get derailed. Good for you Tibi, for not giving up but jut adjusting your goals
And yes, Planny the Plush Doll needs to be made.
But guys seriously... what should Planny look like :o I can try and make him (or is it a her?), but then he needs a design! :D
Well I lack that type of artistic ability but I'm sure there are obvious traits here that we can point out until you get a visual. Definitely nerdy (duh), focused, anal-retentive yet up-beat and motivational, steadfast, determined, goal-oriented, always moving forward, grounded, not fond of surprises.... Maybe I'll throw some more out there after I get some sleep :)

Edit: We're not hi-jacking Tibi's thread with our nonsense, are we? :dread:

So yes, I'm willing to try and make a "Planny" plush, but then "Planny" will need a design!

ANY IDEAS?!?!

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

Hmmm, I don't think Planny is a person. Some sort of mythical monstery type. And he somehow has to get the idea across that plan A didn't work so he goes to plan B. So he needs some bumps and bruises, but he also needs to be fighting. Maybe his sword is broken, but he's still using it to fight with?

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I'm with Elastigirl. I'm seeing some kind of blue plush monster for some reason, maybe like a more sane version on an Olympic mascot.

SpiralGalaxy, Level 9 Halfling Elf Assassin
STR 17|DEX 13|STA 20|CON 13|WIS 21|CHA 15
Electromagnetics Engineer, Freelance sci-fi critic in Maryland

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." 

Hmmm, I don't think Planny is a person. Some sort of mythical monstery type. And he somehow has to get the idea across that plan A didn't work so he goes to plan B. So he needs some bumps and bruises, but he also needs to be fighting. Maybe his sword is broken, but he's still using it to fight with?

what about a crossbow turned around to use as a club?

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

All great ideas. Nothing that ever occurred to me. I think that he/she/it should definitely be a caricature of epic proportions. Something that is everything you need it to be whenever you look at it. Funny and amusing when you glance at it casually, causing a grin or even a chuckle every time. Stately and statuesque when you need a reminder of what you should be doing. Inspirational when you are down (he keeps fighting, so should you). And he should challenge you to do better.

You can't forget, though, as the name and source material of Planny implied, the negatively exaggerated characteristic would be that he always thinks things should just go the way he planned them in the first place. Maybe something about him that reminds you of what not to do and to just let loose sometimes.

Aiel Rebel

Current Challenge

Str: 18.75 | Dex: 12.25 | Sta: 16 | Con: 30.25 | Wis: 27 | Cha: 16.25

I think the cool thing about Planny is we are all Planny and it works for us in some aspect of our lives. Planning is actually a recipe for success and every endeavor should start out with one. What I had noticed when I made the comment was that if you look around, the majority of the challenges or struggles within the challenges stems from when things don't go as planned, or when there are things that simply can't be planned at all. It puts us outside of our comfort zone.

Look at it this way: Just about every game you can think of has a walkthrough that you can read to take you step-by-step through it. Even if we don't use an actual walkthrough, we can pretty much figure that there is going to be a systematic way through the game. Maybe that's what calls nerds to video games so much. But I've never been able to find an actual fitness walkthrough. Something that is cut-and-dried, no bones about it, one size fits all, this is how to get from here to there without any variance whatsoever. Same thing applies to relationships, sports, and a lot of other kinds of things that (WARNING: Massive over-simplification to follow!) "jocks" are so good at and "nerds" can't quite wrap their heads around.

--Further over-simplification --

Here's how I imagine a jock would go about becoming a cop:

"It's a physical job, I'm a physical guy, I'll try it out and see what happens." He's not an idiot, he carries himself well, and through luck and natural talent, he makes it through the hiring process and academy.

Here's how I made it so many years ago:

*Major spoilers for those who want to play Mass Effect*

Hmm, it's a physical job, martial arts are awesome -- I'll try that. Community service, youth explorer program, move on to become a dispatcher while I take college courses. Need to learn how to present myself -- explorer program is a good start, but how about public speaking classes? That'll work. And interview techniques are a must. Must become a warrior but no time for military if I want to become an officer by the time I'm 21 -- must read books. Lt. Colonel Grossman books -- life-changing! Can't wait to see in person. Wonderful speaker....

*This one is pretty spoiler-free though :) *

My point here is if the "jock" failed, he'd've moved on. I can't imagine how I would've handled it had I been unsuccessful. Maybe a Planny plush would've done the trick!

Aiel Rebel

Current Challenge

Great ideas guys!!!!

Definitely some ideas to use.

I was thinking, as it's name is Planny (I'm going for undefined, maybe we should have a male and female version?) it's design should incorporate a plan.

Maybe a sort of calendar (maybe a day with a task list of "execute epic plans"?)

I definitely really like the "using broken weapons" idea :)

We could even have guild specific Planny's... -sees a line of plushies forming-

Spoiler

LOL Chaze your ME reference, brilliant!!!

But yeah I think you're right.

I suppose Planny should be a motivator and reminder that yes you can do it no matter what.

Spoiler

We could even have guild specific Planny's... -sees a line of plushies forming-

Yes! This would be awesome! Bendy druid Planny, hulked-out warrior Planny, lighter-than-air leapy assassin Planny, bruised-knuckled and cauliflower-earred monk Planny, faster-than-light scout Planny, ready-for-anything adventurer Planny, and insectiod specialization ranger Planny (haha, just kidding, guys).

I hope you are ready for this, Kibcy :)

Aiel Rebel

Current Challenge

Yes! This would be awesome! Bendy druid Planny, hulked-out warrior Planny, lighter-than-air leapy assassin Planny, bruised-knuckled and cauliflower-earred monk Planny, faster-than-light scout Planny, ready-for-anything adventurer Planny, and insectiod specialization ranger Planny (haha, just kidding, guys).

I hope you are ready for this, Kibcy :)

No... no I'm not... BUT I WILL JUST HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT :D

Of the many things that I loved about these games, Mordin was my absolute favorite.

Definitely love Mordin!!! Dunno if favorite, but he made me giggle without fail! :D whenever I had too much Mordin in a day, my thoughts would mimic his speech and it would be awesome and funny.

Spoiler

Blue octopus monster? Or does that imply too much indecision? "On the other other other hand...." :D

LOL yeah I had that idea for a moment, but I would think that instead of being Planny it would be more of a "Chaoticy Octopus" :D

Spoiler

Alright... so I woke up at 3:45 am and then had this idea.

So now that I've slept some more and am actually awake! I sketched out some concept.

Provide all the feedback and keep in mind that my drawing skills are pretty awful :D

PlannyConcept1_zpsf14a7a98.png

Spoiler

So now that I've slept some more and am actually awake! I sketched out some concept.

Provide all the feedback and keep in mind that my drawing skills are pretty awful :D

I like it... When I read through these posts I was thinking kind of a cross between an elephant (because he would never forget a plan) and Mr. T (because he would smash the heads of the things that make the plan go south... And the other guy who always said "I love it when a plan comes together"

Soooooo like an older elephant Mr. T with a big cigar a busted up gun a planner and bubble gum (or was that mcguyver who always used gum?)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I like it... When I read through these posts I was thinking kind of a cross between an elephant (because he would never forget a plan) and Mr. T (because he would smash the heads of the things that make the plan go south... And the other guy who always said "I love it when a plan comes together"

Soooooo like an older elephant Mr. T with a big cigar a busted up gun a planner and bubble gum (or was that mcguyver who always used gum?)

lol I think it was Murdock with the cigar who said that, and yeah, I think the bubble gum and other random items was Mcguyver.

Mr. T says "I piddy da foo who don't like Plannay!"

Edit -- Also, a bit of a fun fact here: Mr. T actually lives (or at least used to, not sure if he still does) within a couple miles from me. Someone I know was at his daughter's middle school graduation and he completely ignored the ceremony to record Mr. T recording his kid walking.

Aiel Rebel

Current Challenge

PlannyConcept1_zpsf14a7a98.png

Not too bad! He's oddly similar to the vague picture I had in my head. In my mind, he is blue for some reason (probably in tribute to his Asari creator), and has an NF logo somewhere on him.

Going with our "Planny throughout the guilds" idea, I think his plush caricature should have a few canonic features, especially in the face, and his body, pose, and props would differ depending on which guild he's portraying at the moment. The easiest "classic" Planny to make would probably be the adventurer Planny and we can adjust and take it from there.

<Jedi hand-wave at Kibs> I am not setting you up for more and more work. It was always your idea to "volunteer" to do multiple plushies. These are not the droids you are looking for....

Edit: There really needs to be a Jedi mind-trick smiley. Hey Kibcy, can you get to work on making that happen too? <duck!>

Aiel Rebel

Current Challenge

HAHAHA That's awesome! I like your thoughts :)

Not too bad! He's oddly similar to the vague picture I had in my head. In my mind, he is blue for some reason (probably in tribute to his Asari creator), and has an NF logo somewhere on him.

Going with our "Planny throughout the guilds" idea, I think his plush caricature should have a few canonic features, especially in the face, and his body, pose, and props would differ depending on which guild he's portraying at the moment. The easiest "classic" Planny to make would probably be the adventurer Planny and we can adjust and take it from there.

<Jedi hand-wave at Kibs> I am not setting you up for more and more work. It was always your idea to "volunteer" to do multiple plushies. These are not the droids you are looking for....

Edit: There really needs to be a Jedi mind-trick smiley. Hey Kibcy, can you get to work on making that happen too? <duck!>

CHAZE!!!! HAHAHAHAHA Seriously, you're crazy :D :D :D

And yes, yes I was thinking he would be a blue. And then his female counterpart would be purple or yellow or so :)

Oh oh I should totally add the NF logo. Maybe on his shoulder or chest or so.

Guild specific Planny could be based off the guild crests? How's that for an idea?

Hrmmm now I need to sketch out more ideas....

I know I know :) no worries, it's fun to discuss and I'm getting all excited about making it a reality!

D: I'm not very... hmmm how do I say this... very sure what that would look like... but... but I have made cat smileys in the past hahahaha.

No need to duck! I get all excited about plans... the problem is to make them a reality.

Spoiler

Guild specific Planny could be based off the guild crests? How's that for an idea?

You are the creative one, not me. I'm sure that would be a great place to start. I do think they should be should be slightly over-the-top, humorous, and cute. Something you can take seriously but at the same time, not too seriously. I think over-exaggerated caricatures of each guild would be amazing, especially if they reflected the crest.

D: I'm not very... hmmm how do I say this... very sure what that would look like... but... but I have made cat smileys in the past hahahaha.

Seriously? Is there anything you can't do? You are quickly becoming my go to girl for all of my random and unreasonable thoughts!

Aiel Rebel

Current Challenge

You are the creative one, not me. I'm sure that would be a great place to start. I do think they should be should be slightly over-the-top, humorous, and cute. Something you can take seriously but at the same time, not too seriously. I think over-exaggerated caricatures of each guild would be amazing, especially if they reflected the crest.

Seriously? Is there anything you can't do? You are quickly becoming my go to girl for all of my random and unreasonable thoughts!

That's what I had in mind as well :D Not quite there today... as I'm saddled with this amazing headache a lot of the time today... but I'll give it some thought and some sketches :)

There are... a ton of things I can't do... BUT I'm willing to try anything and all that :)

I mean I actually made animated smileys... lol... yes.

Just give me the right tools and I totally would try whatever :D

The same goes for all this fitness nonsense... considering what I've tried, failed, then kept trying and finally got done so far... wow.

Spoiler

Some more sketches I did tonight.

Anyone better at drawing... feel free to jump in!

photo_zps3478e869.jpg

(yes done a lot faster... really just "ideas" and all)

Spoiler

I wish I could help but I am a horrid artist. The only thing I keep thinking is I wish there were some really recognisable features for the face and the body would be able to take on whatever iconic role that specific plush was supposed to represent (I.e. whatever guild, etc.

Aiel Rebel

Current Challenge

Archived