Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

as much as i enjoy the play itself, i was talking about the 1996 Baz Luhrman film :tongue:

Please tell me you are joking. The 1968 Zeffirelli version is the cine qua non.

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

Quarrel! I will back thee.

Thy naked weapon is out? ;)

is the law on my side if i say 'ay'?

Part, fools! Put up your swords, you know not what you do!

• Like 1

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Maurice Moss

What, art thou drawn among these heartless hinds? Turn thee, Tomu-san, look upon thy death.

I do but keep the peace. Put up thy sword or manage it to part these men with me.

• Like 1

Spoiler

- Maurice Moss

There are nice connection with great reference I don't quite understand here. :)

"Youve just got to learn to love your body the way it is"

No. Nope. Fuck you. You dont get to define how i should feel about my body. You dont get to spin my defects as positives and be dismissive of my experiences. Its my body and i will hate it and change it and try to fix it as best as i can.

• Like 5

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

"Youve just got to learn to love your body the way it is"

No. Nope. Fuck you. You dont get to define how i should feel about my body. You dont get to spin my defects as positives and be dismissive of my experiences. Its my body and i will hate it and change it and try to fix it as best as i can.

But you gotta love what you can't change, though. 

Of course, I can be fit and strong and slim.

I can never be tall. My skin will forever be brown. My nose will forever be too large and hooked for my face. My giant head will never be proportional to my body, and my hands and feet will forever be two sizes too big.

And that's okay--because these will make me look like an adorable dwarf who is fit and strong and can kick people's asses in the near future.

• Like 5

This same piece of conversation has come across a few times with my dad:

Him: Do you have a girlfriend yet?

Me: No, haven't met anyone I love yet.

Him: Why? Don't you want to?

Me: Yeah, I want to, just haven't met anyone yet, no one so close.

And I don't think I it's a bad thing I don't have a significant other yet.

Him: Well, are you gay then?

And I am like... What the ... is this? I don't have a girlfriend,

and maybe I'm not actively finding someone,

so then I'm automaticly gay? Never heard of singles?! 

Like... :blink:

Can't comprehend the leap of logic here

leading to the assumption.

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Spread love and understanding. Use force if necessary." - Leon Trotsky

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

"If you do strange things, strange things will happen!"

"That's it! Now go make something beautiful." -Jake Parker

nope. i dont. i may have to bear it, live with it, and eventually come to accept it. but i do not have to love it. 

True on that. You don't have to love it. It's your body, so nobody should tell you how you should feel with it after all.

Yup. I talked to the person on the long bus who was stunned to know that I am 25 and my relationship status is 'not even girlfriend?' After that there is a subtext of 'there's something wrong with you' judgement when we continue our conversation. 

You should ask them back-- well, I am not having a boyfriend either, so does it make me straight-- and gay? What's your point my dear friend?

Ahahahaha, this is a little bit reminiscent of a couple of conversations I've had with my parents. Until back in December when I started dating a guy, they were convinced that the reason I was single or never talked about my love life with them was because I was gay -- not because I was simply single and not dating anyone. Following conversation:

Me: Well, I went on a date last night...

Them: ................. guy or girl?

Me: ...................... guy.

Them: Oh, okay, we thought you were gay!

It might also because I post a lot of pro-LGBTQ rights stuff on my Facebook. Which is doubly annoying, come to think of it. Because straight people can't advocate LGBTQ rights? (My entire extended family is convinced I'm gay because of this, too. I know this because they suck at private messaging on Facebook.)

But they're not completely wrong. I'm actually bi. I just can't bring myself to tell them because a few years ago when we were talking about LGBTQ I mentioned to them that sometimes I thought that I might not be straight, and this is what happened:

Them: Nah, you're straight. You liked the Backstreet Boys when you were a kid. (because only straight girls liked BSB, obviously *sarcasm*)

Me: I could be bi. (at the time I hadn't completely figured it out yet)

Them: Nah, bi people are just confused and they just need to make up their minds. 

I can't even.

If I was gay, I feel like I would've come out to them by now. But since I'm bi and since this is what they told me, nope, not coming out to them unless I ever absolutely have to. Nopenopenope.

Vicki | Sheikah Bard | Level 13

STR 32.5 | DEX 51.1 | STA 25.5 | CON 37.1 | WIS 26.0 | CHA 31.3

blkhoe24601 Gains the Power to Revolutionize the World

Past Challenges: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13

2016 Battle Log

Them: Nah, you're straight. You liked the Backstreet Boys when you were a kid. (because only straight girls liked BSB, obviously *sarcasm*)

Does that make me a straight girl? I'm so confused....

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Does that make me a straight girl? I'm so confused....

But I guess you... want... it that way...

• Like 5

But I guess you... want... it that way...

Man... quit playing games with my heart... I'm having a hard time with this revelation as it is... :-P

I just want it all to go Bye Bye Bye... but I guess I need to be true to my heart and just accept it.

• Like 2

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)