Forums are back in action! ×

NaNoWriMo?

Of course not! Welcome! :D I have many other things to fiddle with until then.  I have a lot of outlining and psychological doodads to figure out for this story in the mean time...

• Like 1

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

I'm just trying to get all this down before I forget it.  I'm finally embracing my proclivities and just doing straight-up fanfiction this year (though it would work just fine as a standalone if you are unaware of the larger story world).

Nothing to pump up a wordcount like fanfic! It's just plain fun (Mercedes Lackey sings its praises in her pep talk... Which makes a lot of sense if you're familiar with her work. Check the pep archive if you want to see.)

I lowered my sights to 20k for Camp this month and promised myself Scrivener if I win. I have such a problem coming up with ideas for myself. Anyone else has plot holes, I have all the ideas. When I tell my brain "time to write, give me ideas now!" It gives me the deer in headlights look and nothing happens.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Well, my main problem with writing is there's my "serious" stories, huge multi-volume epics that have been percolating in my brain for years.  I've got the minutiae all worked out, I've got dozens of characters, I've got story arcs and betrayals and twists all worked out... but writing them isn't fun.  It's a serious story.  I know how it all ends, so there's very little in the way of excitement for ME, as the WRITER. 

Then there's my more, ah... frivolous stories.  More than a few of which are thinly-veiled erotica or fanfiction.  I can hit 50k, 80k, 100k words easily, and I have a ball doing it. The stories would work well as standalones, but I have a lot of fun incorporating them into existing worlds, because they're worlds that are colorful and already fleshed out, and I can more easily visualize how the story would work in that setting. (For instance, my current story, XII, is an amalgamation of a couple of my older stories, and I'm writing it through the lens of Netflix's Daredevil... dark, episodic, but at the core it's a heroic origin story. The fact that all this takes place during the Dragonball Z Android Saga is just sort of nerdy icing on the cake.) 

I dunno what makes me a 'real' writer, if anything. None of my 'real' stories have ever come together, no matter how much headcanon and detail and thought goes into them. I have so much more fun writing things that are silly and argumentative and maybe even downright cliche, and from what I hear from my readers those stories are also a lot more fun to READ.  My 'real' stories are... dry. If I don't have fun, my story doesn't have fun. 

*continues beating head against wall* 

So fanfiction it is! For this year, at least.

Oh gosh, I can't even imagine trying to do NaNo while also juggling a challenge! You guys are amazing. I guess it really depends on the nature of your challenge and how used to prioritizing fitness you are.

I've won NaNo a couple times, but I don't think I could produce the willpower I'm using to focus more on fitness AND the willpower it takes to write every day right now. Maybe by November...

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Oh, yay! I had no idea anyone else on here was on NaNoWriMo. I'm not sure if I'll take part in the challenge because by next month I'm hoping to really 'up the ante' on my quests and goals, so I'm not sure taking a month away to do another intensive 'challenge' would be a good idea. But I am going to keep writing there at my own pace over the next few months. The last few weeks I've hit a really difficult bout of writer's block though. :(

Level 2

Elfin Water Bender

:: STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 1 ::

"Remember, your mind is the best weapon you have" ~ Farengar Secret-Fire

I'm intending to enter my first NNWM this year (and blog my adventures as I go). What tips can you veterans offer me? Should I plan the story out before November so I can hit the ground running, or is this against the rules? I'm guessing rewrites and editing don't fall within the challenge itself.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

It all depends how you write.  Outlines are absolutely allowed but will not count towards your total word count.  You can even continue a story, but whatever was written before November doesn't count.  It's just all about the November words. No rewirtes.  No edits.  No second-guessing. No looking back.  JUST GET THE WORDS DOWN.

My only advice is GET OUT TO AN EARLY LEAD... then pace yourself and set some good goals. I try to get 10,000 words in the first weekend alone, and then parcel out the remaining 40,000 words with nice daily counts, and a couple other ridiculous sessions.  Also find some friends to do word sprints with.  Can be lots of fun!

Thrillho is right - get ahead early and then you can have a few off days later on and they won't affect your overall total.

Also: don't write something that you're not enthusiastic about. You'll hate it by the end of the month otherwise.

And remember: 50,000 words is a lot, but 1,600 words is just over three pages. Three pages is totally doable in a day - especially if you're an outliner and you have a clear idea of what you're going to write in them. Always break up the story into manageable chunks.

Finally, if you know where your burn-out point is, keep it in mind, but don't be afraid of it. Binge-writing twice your normal count in a day probably won't do you harm, so be glad of being on a roll. But if you know that, say, writing more than 5,000 words will make you lethargic the next day, or writing after a certain time of night will cut into your sleep too much and you won't function well the next day, then don't do that. Be glad of extra productivity, but don't let the pressure get to you.

Likewise, there's no shame in not completing NaNo. Often when you stop feeling bad about your productivity levels, the writing will flow better.

• Like 1

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

Another one is to not delete anything you write and don't be afraid to let your story flow. And don't be afraid to write something that isn't

Perfect. You will write rubbish and there will be lots that you want to cut. But it all adds up. I know I write some character things that while not important to the story they help me (and the word count).

And if you are really stuck for words: dream sequence.

Current Challenge

Previous challenges:7, 6 5, 4,  3. 2, 1

I am the one thing in life I can control

Still debating rejoining nano this year. Haven't been back for a while and have recently been crushed with so many story ideas that I figure it's about time I just plain wrote some down. But I'm going in for an 8 week weight loss competition that also starts in November. It's a lot to take on and I'm not entirely sure whether I'm just trying to bite off more than I can chew or not...

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

Still debating rejoining nano this year. Haven't been back for a while and have recently been crushed with so many story ideas that I figure it's about time I just plain wrote some down. But I'm going in for an 8 week weight loss competition that also starts in November. It's a lot to take on and I'm not entirely sure whether I'm just trying to bite off more than I can chew or not...

You might enjoy having some writing to angst/relax over when you're losing weight.  You can, for example, crush your fictional enemies when you are feeling hangry.  (With all due respect, whose idea was it to hold a weightloss competition in December??  What about Christmas treats?)

Also, a lot of NaNoers get their best ideas on the treadmill.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

"The earlier you fall behind the more time you have to catch up."

Nano is fun for the first three days, then I wish I never started but bloody mindedness keep me writing. Then by week three I want to get it over with and start writing marathon sessions and have to wait for the website to validate.

The biggest fun is going to the last write-in without my laptop and act all superior.

• Like 1

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

You might enjoy having some writing to angst/relax over when you're losing weight. You can, for example, crush your fictional enemies when you are feeling hangry. (With all due respect, whose idea was it to hold a weightloss competition in December?? What about Christmas treats?)

Also, a lot of NaNoers get their best ideas on the treadmill.

The challenge is suppose to end right before Christmas so it isn't too bad.

I don't tend to get very good ideas on the dread mill, I just tend to hate my life a whole lot. And beg for my time to be up already. Seriously, anyone who doesn't think a minute is long has never been staring at a treadmill timer waiting to get off.

But I do like the idea of crushing my enemies.

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses