Forums are back in action! ×

Challenge YOUR body image.

Shouldn't you sit in front of a mirror the entire time, while getting your hair done?

My hairdresser was new and not only did I get to face away from the mirror the whole time, I walked out looking crappier than I did when I walked in.

Level 1 Dwarf Half-Dragon Monk

Monk Apprentice. My Current Challenge.

STR: 1 | STA:1 | DEX: 0 | CON: 0| WIS: 1 | CHA: 0

"Do or do not. There is no try." -Awesome Short Dude

Gourds come in all shapes and sizes (ex. pumpkins are gourds, but clearly are not pear-shaped):

GourdsFromIowa.jpg

Some are smooth, bumpy, big, small and everything in between, apple- pear- lemon- pineapple- whatever- shaped, every color under the sun, or just plain weird. Maybe we should use gourds for comparison instead of fruit.

Aw, see I was thinking of that gourd in the upper left. In my, admittedly meager, research, I found that gourds tend to be lumped together rather than have different names. So the best I can come up with would be to say "a pear shaped gourd" or "the gourd that looks like this" while drawing a pair in the air with my finger. But in the end, we're all gourds.

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

My hairdresser was new and not only did I get to face away from the mirror the whole time, I walked out looking crappier than I did when I walked in.

Are you sure she was a Hairdresser and not someone who murdered the owner, before you were coming in so she was forced to act like one? Because everyone who ever put a foot inside a barber shop would know how to place a costumer. (What also speaks for my theory is that she messed up your hair)

• Like 1

I'm scared now about looking for new hairdresser, since I'm so done with my old one and have no clue if I can find one that I like. I don't want to deal with the drama of my old hairdresser and I'm pretty sure she will refuse to cut my hair in a pixie cut (already have her look at me like I had 3 heads for suggesting something "crazy"). Plus, I don't want to hear her go off about politics (Obama doing this and that).

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

I felt that everyone here was worthy of this Valentine today :) Which makes me realize I KNOW a LOT of body positive people...bc well, I am posting this on more than one thread today :) You all are awesome :D :D 

BodyPositiveInspiration_zps70276ab1.png

• Like 6

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

This whole hairdresser thing is why I now cut my own hair, as follows:

http://www.howtohairgirl.com/2013/01/5-diy-haircuts-to-try-today/

I also cut everyone else's hair in the house (2 adults, 3 kids). It saves us more than $1000 a year. Totally worth it.

• Like 3

Level 2 -- Druid

STR 1 | STA 2 | DEX 3 | CON 4 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Main Quest: Lose 70 lbs in 2015. 15 down, 55 to go.

Challenge 2 (Druid)

Challenge 1 (Recruit)

my daughter cuts my hair... 

she's 16... 

and she is my fashionista... 

and if I hate it I always wear bandanna anyways ;)

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

My 7 year old has appointed herself to be my fashionista. If it were up to her I'd wear sequins and heels every day. I don't let her cut my hair though.

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

Girl child is actually good at it. .. she coordinates my scrubs and bandanas and has a fairly decent color sense. ... 298d7557d19fa052759f38bcedbf9561.jpgthis is me ands a friend shortly after my last cut

• Like 4

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I have tried so many times to do my own hair to no avail. My hair is thick, natural, and a 4b which means it's naturally nappy and course and hard to work with. I've tried youtube videos, I've had professionals try to tell me what to do, it's a lost cause. Unless I want to walk around with a fro all the time I have to go to a hair dresser. Unfortunately.

Level 1 Dwarf Half-Dragon Monk

Monk Apprentice. My Current Challenge.

STR: 1 | STA:1 | DEX: 0 | CON: 0| WIS: 1 | CHA: 0

"Do or do not. There is no try." -Awesome Short Dude

I shave my own head, only because I can't talk any of the males into doing it for me. Haven't had hair on my head longer than 2-3cm since I was 18. I'm too lazy to go to a hair dresser.

If I didn't have a giant bump

On the top of my head (shunt tube) I would DEFINITELY go this route

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

I also cut everyone else's hair in the house (2 adults, 3 kids). It saves us more than $1000 a year. Totally worth it.

I wish my wife would just cut my hair.  It would be so much easier.  She refuses though not because she can't do what I want, but because she wants my hair much longer than I like wearing it.  So knowing that I never have time to go into town and see the barber as nearly as often as I like, she gets it periodically shaggy where if she would just cut it, I'd have her do it once a week or so.

Did I offer advice in my post?  Please keep the following in mind:

• I am not a doctor nor any other kind of medical professional.
  • I am not a lawyer.
  • I am not a mental health provider
  • I am not a nutritionist
  • Your mileage may vary
  • I don't do anything in moderation
  • I have lots of injuries & if you train like me, you probably will too.

I attempted to cut my own hair few times, but it was a lost cause. Oh the joy of my thick Irish/Scot hair trying to kill me in the process. I'm really convince my hair has a mind of its own. Which would explain why it tried to kill me in my sleep for past few weeks. I really need my hair cut now. Way too thick now

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

Great article, RandMart!!

“Omigod there’s a body in there!†How many billions of times do we have to say that before it’s no longer a surprise? That’s insane.

Athletes are truly leading the way in this regard. Building a healthy image also helps you regard others in a similar way. So strip down, work out and stop worrying about what’s underneath the yoga pants. It’s a body. Get over it.

I've had the conversations several times in Europe, trying to explain to friends why Americans can have tons of sexuality and violence on the TV but not nude beaches.  I've got no answers, except that we're not comfortable in our own skin and tend to transfer that discomfort to whomever... 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

I've had the conversations several times in Europe, trying to explain to friends why Americans can have tons of sexuality and violence on the TV but not nude beaches.  I've got no answers, except that we're not comfortable in our own skin and tend to transfer that discomfort to whomever...

The cynic in me wants to say that sexuality on TV is OK because it usually involves beautiful people...nude beaches may expose us to that undesirable element - a non air brushed body that does not conform to the medias idea of beauty....and we can't have that now!

I was thinking something along these lines the other days and I was wondering if that's one of the main issue with Americans and body issues. For most Americans it seems that the only naked/near naked people they see are those in magazines all air brushed and perfect and so we're lead to believe that anything other than that is not good. Maybe if we were to accept nude beaches etc we'd actually get to see more typical bodies and realize that that's totally normal and nothing to be ashamed of.

We took the family to Iceland last year and I have to admit the first time in one of the communal (single sex) showers I felt a bit self conscious, but by the end of the 10 days I didn't even think twice about being nude in front of strangers - if felt totally normal and comfortable. It was quite amazing how you can change your perception in just one week.

• Like 6

Level 6, Ranger

Challenge I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X Current Challenge

My Sewing Blog

Hm, I have to remember this argument next time someone is a pain in the ass about me answering the door in my boxers when they wake me (they should feel lucky I once opened the door the way I sleep...). Now I can just point out my lack of shame stems from being comfortable in my own skin :D