Forums are back in action! ×

That's good to know! It gives me more confidence to try.

I was thinking the skirt would be rather easy, but the jacket being the hard part.

Now, I'm assuming patterns are re-usable as long as I don't mangle it? So, if I start working on it, and realize I can't do it now, I can come back in the future and try again when I have more experience.

I would combine the two; test out sewing with the skirt, and try to find a suit jacket from a thrift store that would work. Thrift stores can be a great resource for finding pieces, especially on the cheap. I know a good deal of people who have a good amount of luck when it comes to that.

Treat your patterns well, and they can be reused often.

• Like 1

You can also pickup patterning fabric (normally kept with the interfacing) and transfer paper to create a sturdier pattern.  It's fairly inexpensive, but can be time consuming, so I only do it with patterns I plan to use repeatedly or will be making in different sizes.

• Like 2

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Thanks guys!! This weekend is going to be a total wash out with the rain, so I think I'm going to make this my project to start. You've been really helpful :)

• Like 2

"You won't find your answers by looking to the stars. It's a journey you'll have to take by looking inside yourself. You must write your destiny..." Christopher Reeve as Dr. Virgil Swann

Current challenge

Old Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th9th, 10th11th, 12th, 13th, 14th

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

(I don't know if this has already been said. If so, I'll say it again.)

Pro Tip to anyone working with Worbla: a hot knife is the best thing in the universe. Especially for projects that are stupidly detailed and complicated.

Yesterday my friend let me borrow her hot knife to finish my project, and holy shit is it ever a life-saver (although the time crunch is still scaring me a little). The hot blade will not only cut things easier, but also seal any edges that have two layers or have little fuzzy/thready bits attached to them. This removes like 90% of the sanding I'll have to do later.

It's not ideal for detailed work that has a lot of small curves, but is still better than a regular exacto knife. Also, leaving the blade near a small/thin piece of Worbla will soften it rather quickly and make it possible to alter/fix said piece only (whereas using a heat gun would soften it and everything around it).

I have no clue how I ever used Worbla without this tool, so I feel it necessary to inform everyone else about it in order to save people some time and unnecessary frustration XD

• Like 1

I've got a set of heavy-duty scissors (came with a tool set) that I've been using for worbla and kydex (thicker material similar to worbla).  They work well on the worbla, though the kydex ends up with rough, uneven edges.

I'll have to look into a heat knife once my fun money has replenished itself.

• Like 1

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

AMAZING!!! Wow!

Kilyra|Level 4|Gorgon|Adventurer

Stats: STR 5 | STA 10 | DEX 8 | CON 8 | WIS 9 | CHA 6

"If all I do is try, that means I don't truly believe I can succeed. Look, I may fail. You may fail. But there is no try" ~Kanan Jarrus, Star Wars: Rebels

Introduction|Challenge|The Writer's Guild|Battle Log

Spoiler

Eating 90/10 (2 of 4)

50%
50%

Workout at least 4x a week (8 of 16)

50%
50%

Hollow Body Work 3x a week (6 of 12)

50%
50%

Life Goal: Write 3.5 hrs a week (1 of 4)

25%
25%

It was getting more and more crowded, then they started adding venues (extra hotel for panels and dealer's hall now has it's own building).  The last 2 years haven't been too bad.

• Like 1

Ok, so this summer, Hubs and I finally got to watch the Star Wars Rebels cartoon which we madly fell in love with. Right away, we wanted to make Kanan and Hera costumes and mentioned it to this costume guru friend of ours. She's the one that got me into costuming and helped me get as good as I am (which isn't great, but there's LOADS of improvement from my first costume attempt to now).

Anyhow, after much serious debate, Hubs and I decided it wasn't going to happen - I just don't have the time to commit to it this year, and lekkus that I'd be happy with are a huge, new undertaking. Sadly, we had to let the idea go, but life goes on.

I've been focused on a big writing challenge this month and the pain of not getting to do these costumes faded away and all is well.

Last night, my friend sent me pictures...Hera's jumpsuit is finished, the lekku is half done and she's getting ready to start on the Kanan costume!!! I'm still in shock! She's out of work at the moment and bored out of her mind so she's costuming like a mad woman (the expo isn't until next April). Everything she did was from scraps of hers so there's not even much for cost involved too. She wanted to surprise me with them once they were fully finished, but got too excited LOL. It's weird to think of wearing someone else's work, but at the same time, Hubs and I are over the effing moon.

My childhood dream finally gets to come true: I get to be a twi'lek!!! 

kKo2x2QSWMNfW.gif

• Like 3

Kilyra|Level 4|Gorgon|Adventurer

Stats: STR 5 | STA 10 | DEX 8 | CON 8 | WIS 9 | CHA 6

"If all I do is try, that means I don't truly believe I can succeed. Look, I may fail. You may fail. But there is no try" ~Kanan Jarrus, Star Wars: Rebels

Introduction|Challenge|The Writer's Guild|Battle Log

Spoiler

Eating 90/10 (2 of 4)

50%
50%

Workout at least 4x a week (8 of 16)

50%
50%

Hollow Body Work 3x a week (6 of 12)

50%
50%

Life Goal: Write 3.5 hrs a week (1 of 4)

25%
25%

My brothers and I were thinking about cosplaying as Cid from different Final Fantasy games and I chose to be Cid from Final Fantasy 5. What do you guys think I would need to do this?

Cid-FF5.jpg

Sorry for the huge images.

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Patience! Haha.

Honestly, it looks relatively simple, in my opinion. Lots of sewing, but the pieces should be pretty straight-forward. It's a matter of taking the time to find the right fabric without having to pay way too much for it. The shoes; you could get creative and modify a cheap pair to look similar, and the sash is probably more sewing. If you're going for accuracy, looking into a wig would also be needed. The sword is probably the thing that'll be the most difficult. If you have a prop sword or something, you could start there. But otherwise, you might have to look online to find a suitable tutorial to make your own. My personal favorite is making a wooden cut out of the weapon, wrapping it in worbla, and going from there. It's a technique I found through Kamui Cosplay.

• Like 1

That's a great idea. Cid from FF10 has always bee at the top of my list should I ever find the time to take up the hobby.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

That costume looks really simple; you can probably find the shirt, pants, and sash at a thrift store, if you take the time to look around.  Possibly the shoes as well.  I can't tell what the belt is supposed to be (metal or fabric), so that will determine what you need to do for it.  Sword looks like a rapier, so you can either find a decent prop to add the detail to or build your own as mentioned above.

• Like 1