Forums are back in action! ×

CHRONOLOGICALLY BLESSED

My brother bought the Trash-80 with 4K Ram and the 16K expansion that I then bought from him. Oh those were the days :)

I bought the 16K version with cassette "drive", then as money allowed I added my own RAM and disk drives.  Yes, I was one of those folks who actually opened his computer and did his own work on it.

Funny story:  I installed four slim-line drives in the case (two 40/40 and two 80/80).  I worried about heat, so I cut a hole in the top of the case and installed a fan.  I didn't want anything getting stuck in the fan, so I built a screen around it.  I was concerned about the screen getting a charge from being over the tube, so I ran a wire from the screen to the ground of the computer.  Turn it on and nothing happened.  Turns out I wired the fan backward, so the frame of the fan was hot, so the wire I attached to the ground was hot.  Sent 120V into the ground of the motherboard, fried the video circuitry.  Luckily a friend knew someone who'd just done the Model 4 upgrade and had an extra Model 3 motherboard I could buy, which I did.

• Like 1

Whats with stretching when you are old?  I don't do any exercise for my legs other than squatting down during an exercise where I lift a plate from the floor to overhead then reverse curl it behind the neck and then return it to the floor ten times.  But I do 15 stretching exercises (about 5 for the legs) each night.  Yet my legs feel more sore than my upperbody (which gets strength training 3 times/wk).  Whats with stretching causing sore legs?  I do slow stretching, no jerking.  Just another part of getting older I guess.

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

Whats with stretching when you are old? I don't do any exercise for my legs other than squatting down during an exercise where I lift a plate from the floor to overhead then reverse curl it behind the neck and then return it to the floor ten times. But I do 15 stretching exercises (about 5 for the legs) each night. Yet my legs feel more sore than my upperbody (which gets strength training 3 times/wk). Whats with stretching causing sore legs? I do slow stretching, no jerking. Just another part of getting older I guess.

Do you do dynamic stretches or static stretches?

sent from my tiny particle accelerator

• Like 1

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

Guess I'm not sure cause I don't know the definition.  I went to source of all knowledge (Google) to find the difference but it wasn't clear to me.

I'll try to describe and you can tell me which it is and what it means.

The simplest is the toe touch.  Feet about shoulder length apart, I slowly bend down w/ knees straight and touch knuckles to floor, hold for a second or 2, then bend back up till hands touch knees.  Then I repeat 8 times.  Thats pretty typical of my stretches.  I push to where it gives a slight stretch, hold for a second or 2, let off a little, then repeat.  

I've been thinking of hiring one of the personal trainers for a couple sessions to work w/ me on my stretching routine.  They have 2 that teach yoga at the gym.  I'd take a yoga class but I really don't want to spend an hour on yoga.

It's not an uncomfortable pain like lower back pain or something like that.  Just strange that I get the kind of pain you feel when you do squats and leg work and all I've done is stretching.

Current Challenge 

Guess I'm not sure cause I don't know the definition.  I went to source of all knowledge (Google) to find the difference but it wasn't clear to me.

The simplest is the toe touch.  Feet about shoulder length apart, I slowly bend down w/ knees straight and touch knuckles to floor, hold for a second or 2, then bend back up till hands touch knees.  Then I repeat 8 times.  Thats pretty typical of my stretches.  I push to where it gives a slight stretch, hold for a second or 2, let off a little, then repeat.  

I've been thinking of hiring one of the personal trainers for a couple sessions to work w/ me on my stretching routine.  They have 2 that teach yoga at the gym.  I'd take a yoga class but I really don't want to spend an hour on yoga.

It's not an uncomfortable pain like lower back pain or something like that.  Just strange that I get the kind of pain you feel when you do squats and leg work and all I've done is stretching.

Current Challenge 

Hi everyone! I'm late to the game, but I'm so glad this group exists. (I'm 44. Can I still join?)

Hi Minna, and welcome! :)

Guess I'm not sure cause I don't know the definition. I went to source of all knowledge (Google) to find the difference but it wasn't clear to me.

The simplest is the toe touch. Feet about shoulder length apart, I slowly bend down w/ knees straight and touch knuckles to floor, hold for a second or 2, then bend back up till hands touch knees. Then I repeat 8 times. Thats pretty typical of my stretches. I push to where it gives a slight stretch, hold for a second or 2, let off a little, then repeat.

I've been thinking of hiring one of the personal trainers for a couple sessions to work w/ me on my stretching routine. They have 2 that teach yoga at the gym. I'd take a yoga class but I really don't want to spend an hour on yoga.

It's not an uncomfortable pain like lower back pain or something like that. Just strange that I get the kind of pain you feel when you do squats and leg work and all I've done is stretching.

Well it sounds more like dynamic stretches rather than static ones. You'd use both types when working out; dynamic at warmup, static at cool down.

The difference between the two is whether you hold the stretch or not. There are conflicting opinions, but generally you don't want to hold stretches during warmup, as they could cause strain in cold muscles. But after working out when the muscles are warm, holding stretches for 15-30 seconds is a good thing.

• Like 3

Whats with stretching when you are old?  I don't do any exercise for my legs other than squatting down during an exercise where I lift a plate from the floor to overhead then reverse curl it behind the neck and then return it to the floor ten times.  But I do 15 stretching exercises (about 5 for the legs) each night.  Yet my legs feel more sore than my upperbody (which gets strength training 3 times/wk).  Whats with stretching causing sore legs?  I do slow stretching, no jerking.  Just another part of getting older I guess.

Maybe because we didn't stretch much when we were younger (at least true in my case) and now my body rebels more. I've found my groove with strength exercises and rarely get severe DOMS, but I find I can easily overstretch something and end up too sore to stretch much the next day. I thought it was just me, but Marauder was saying she had the same problem, and you too, so maybe it is something to do with age.

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I've been stretching 6+ days/wk. Any thoughts on whether stretching everyday is best or would alternating on/off each day be better?

Whatever works for you

wildross on the tablet

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I think daily stretching is a good idea.  I stretch after I exercise and I exercise everyday (I'm 47).  I also do yoga twice a week.  Darebee has a pretty good article on stretching with links to several of their stretch workouts to choose from if you are looking for a little direction.

So long as you're warmed up (!), stretching should be ok at any time.  But the warm up is critical.  I had a substitute yoga instructor last week who didn't warm us up, and really felt terrible after our practice.  

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

huge fail on exercise and eating front, ended up in a bout of depression that is shifting now. I'm not ready for a proper challenge yet but I'm enjoying habitica and trying this week to clean my eating up.

what's happened? what's new?

• Like 3
STR 8 | DEX 4 | STA 7 | CON 6 |  WIS 9.75 | CHA 10.5
Current challenge | Accountable to chronologically blessed

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016
Quest 1 - Misfit to 800 4 days out of 7

0%
0%
Quest 2 - Mindfulness daily

0%
0%

Quest 3 - Veg with every meal, 2 pints of water a day

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

huge fail on exercise and eating front, ended up in a bout of depression that is shifting now. I'm not ready for a proper challenge yet but I'm enjoying habitica and trying this week to clean my eating up.

what's happened? what's new?

Okay, I don't highly recommend it but I accidentally found that a stomach flu worked as a way to break through a weight loss plateau  that was giving me trouble

:-)    :-&   :-)

• Like 4

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aneralled the level 6 Hound Archon, Warrior-Druid 

STR 11|DEX 4|CON 8.5|STA 10.5|WIS 4.5|CHA 4.5

I am a Nerd Fitness Rebel,       I don’t compare myself to others,        I know I impact those around me 
  and today is the first day            only to myself from yesterday.            with my actions, and so I must 
  of the rest of my life.                I shall not brag about successes           move forward, every day. 
I shall make no excuses               nor complain about my struggles,    I acknowledge fear, doubt, and
  and hold no grudges.                 but share my experiences and           despair, but I do not let them
I care not where I came from,       help my fellow Rebels.                        defeat me. I pledge my life and
  only where I am going.                                                                              honor for the Rebellion, for 
                                                                                                                         this day and all the days to come. 

Okay, I don't highly recommend it but I accidentally found that a stomach flu worked as a way to break through a weight loss plateau  that was giving me trouble

:-)    :-&   :-)

ha, one of the reasons depression hit was that I have been catching every cold and flu going since November - all of them the sort of low level, drag you down sort of thing - none of the quick weight loss variety, I would have swapped months of feeling crappy for a week of puking, get it all over and done with in one go :-)

• Like 2
STR 8 | DEX 4 | STA 7 | CON 6 |  WIS 9.75 | CHA 10.5
Current challenge | Accountable to chronologically blessed

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016
Quest 1 - Misfit to 800 4 days out of 7

0%
0%
Quest 2 - Mindfulness daily

0%
0%

Quest 3 - Veg with every meal, 2 pints of water a day

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

ha, one of the reasons depression hit was that I have been catching every cold and flu going since November - all of them the sort of low level, drag you down sort of thing - none of the quick weight loss variety, I would have swapped months of feeling crappy for a week of puking, get it all over and done with in one go :-)

I've had that a lot this year too, scratchy throat, general blah, never bad enough to warrant staying home and staying in bed to get better (except for one day when the weather was awful the morning after I got a thorough chill shoveling snow after the snow turned into a 38 degree rain.  Seems to be happening to a lot of people this year.  Yuck.

On the other hand (where I have different fingers) a couple years ago I had Norovirus.  The worst of the symptoms only lasted three or four hours, but I didn't know it was possible for an adult to eject that much stuff from both ends of the digestive tract, nor that one could generate SO much dirty laundry in that short space of time.  Wife was alternately sympathetic and frustrated in a "Oh no, not again!" sort of way.  And I was too weak/couldn't get more than six inches fromthe bathroom to help clean up.  Sickest I've ever been except for the time I had Salmonella (from a Boston Creme donut of all things).  Was over a week before I felt good again, and NEVER want that again.

For the record, the Salmonella is why I'm absolutely despotic about keeping things clean in the kitchen.  If it was anywhere near raw meat,or if I even think it may have been, it gets washed before it's used for anything else.  I saw a friend cut up raw chicken, then use the same knife to cut tomatoes for a salad after just wiping it with a paper towel.  I passed on the salad.  I nearly pretended to not feel well and went home.

• Like 2

When my wifes grandmother was alive, we would go visit her.  She always had entire meals sitting around on the counter.  She could feed 5 people w/o ever opening her fridge.  I'm not as nervous as Mark, but her place scared me.  Some people on farms live like that all the time and never seemed to get salmonella.  Maybe they just build up a resistance living like that from birth.

When the 1st Rocky film came out, every teenager I knew (including me) was drinking raw eggs but I never heard of mass salmonella outbreaks.  Sometimes I think our immune systems are weaker than in the past due to everyone killing germs, avoiding germs, and taking antibiotics for everything.  I never heard of or met anyone w/ a peanut allergy from birth through HS.  Now, every school in my towns district has at least one kid w/ the allergy.  Wonder what thats all about?

But even I wouldn't cut chicken and then tomatos.  On the otherhand, when I cook out, I take the meat off the tray w/ a spatula, then use the same spatula for the rest of the grilling process.  I think most people do that.  But really, using the spatula to flip the burgers does not neccessarily leave it in the heat long enough to sterilze it.

Current Challenge 

Eeeewwwwwwww. I have had food poisoning before, last time was from a local fast food place. I was so sick I needed to go to the hospital for an anti-emetic, Zofran. Thank the good Lord for that stuff.

• Like 1

Pretty pleased with what I managed to achieve today, besides eating all the time, I managed to lift two boxes of about 20 kilo each (full of old schooling stuff) above my head and to the back of a closet. Woot! Now they are out of sight out of mind and I didn't need help. :)

Oh! Yes, yes! Didn't that feel amazing?

Similar thing happened yesterday. I finally took down the Christmas decor, and the tuffboxes are by themselves heavy, but I put all of them away, including overhead shelves, without any help. Oh wait, no that's not completely true, the box for the tree weighs about 80 lbs, and that one I couldn't lift yet. But still, this is the first time I've put all the others away without needing help.

• Like 3

When my wifes grandmother was alive, we would go visit her.  She always had entire meals sitting around on the counter.  She could feed 5 people w/o ever opening her fridge.  I'm not as nervous as Mark, but her place scared me.  Some people on farms live like that all the time and never seemed to get salmonella.  Maybe they just build up a resistance living like that from birth.

When the 1st Rocky film came out, every teenager I knew (including me) was drinking raw eggs but I never heard of mass salmonella outbreaks.  Sometimes I think our immune systems are weaker than in the past due to everyone killing germs, avoiding germs, and taking antibiotics for everything.  I never heard of or met anyone w/ a peanut allergy from birth through HS.  Now, every school in my towns district has at least one kid w/ the allergy.  Wonder what thats all about?

But even I wouldn't cut chicken and then tomatos.  On the otherhand, when I cook out, I take the meat off the tray w/ a spatula, then use the same spatula for the rest of the grilling process.  I think most people do that.  But really, using the spatula to flip the burgers does not neccessarily leave it in the heat long enough to sterilze it.

Nope, when I grill the meat is carried out on a paper plate (generally with a real plate underneath), the meat is placed on the grill by hand, then the dirty paper plate is discarded and I wash my hands, then go back out to grill/flip as needed.  I spent two days on the toilet with a bucket between my knees, never again.

I firmly believe the advent of anti-bacterial everything and basic germophobia has lead to increases in allergies.  An allergic reaction is your immune system responding to something that's not a threat.  Like anything else, immune systems need to be trained, if your system has never seen a germ it may well mistake a peanut for one.  

I've ridden the NYC subway system daily for 30 years, so my immune system routinely chases squirrels out of the yard, and I'm not germophobic.  I don't worry about colds and such, but I DO take precautions against food poisoning because (a) it's unpleasant and (B) it's easy to prevent.

• Like 3

I firmly believe the advent of anti-bacterial everything and basic germophobia has lead to increases in allergies.  An allergic reaction is your immune system responding to something that's not a threat.  Like anything else, immune systems need to be trained, if your system has never seen a germ it may well mistake a peanut for one.  

I agree about training the immune system.

I was tested for allergies years ago and was told I was allergic to several (favorite) foods and many indigenous grasses. After I cleaned up my diet, I can eat any of the foods without symptoms and my seasonal reaction to pollen is greatly reduced, requiring no medication, just an occasional use of my NetiPot.

• Like 1