Forums are back in action! ×

NF Star Wars Fans (Force Awakens spoilers inside)

5 hours ago, Raincloak said:

Rey's original name during production was Kira.  Wonder when they changed it.

SO SOOOOOOOONN!!!!!!!   I'm gonna binge watch it at least twice in a row, plus the extras I'm sure.  

And Rey's name was Kira?  As in Kira Carsen from the SWTOR game?  Probably coincidence, but maybe not........

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

12 hours ago, Raincloak said:

It's coming out on disk soooooooon ,,, with deleted scenes.  If further obsessive fan analysis could possibly go any further (and it could, there is always more with SW) then hold on to your hoods.

btw, for your daily dose of useless trivia: I flipped through a book of TFA concept art in a bookstore, and discovered Rey's original name during production was Kira.  Wonder when they changed it.

My guess? This:

320x240.jpg

Edit: I see know you asked when instead of why

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

As far as why, I suspect either there's other Kiras in nerd-dom, or Disney selected a more androgynous name to increase the character's appeal to boys.  (Though "Korra" did just fine among the preteen male crowd ... but maybe that's why Disney didn't want "Kira" here.)

I'm just curious at what point in the production this change was made, because (based on the art book) it seems to have been pretty late in development.  As a fiction writer I find the "naming" process interesting, partly because the way we name fictional things is so very different from the way we name real things.  Was it weird for the filmmakers to go around calling their lead character "Kira" for months and months, and then start calling her "Rey"?  How often does that kind of thing happen in movies?  (I actually don't know the answer to that one.  I know it happens a lot in novel writing, but I'm less familiar with how movies are made.)

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I think I remember a rumour from around the time the character names were announced that Rey's name is actually Kira Rey Solo as it would mirror Kylo Ren Solo (did anyone ever not think Ren was Han's son?). Of course, we find out in VII that Kylo's birth name is Ben, so that scuppers that particular theory. Possibly they didn't want two "K" names for two of the main new characters? Kylo and Kira sounds a bit whimsical.

Level 19 Jedi/Assassin in-training. 

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 16 | 17 | 18 |

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not." - Uncle Iroh

3 hours ago, Grayspeed said:

I think I remember a rumour from around the time the character names were announced that Rey's name is actually Kira Rey Solo as it would mirror Kylo Ren Solo (did anyone ever not think Ren was Han's son?). Of course, we find out in VII that Kylo's birth name is Ben, so that scuppers that particular theory. Possibly they didn't want two "K" names for two of the main new characters? Kylo and Kira sounds a bit whimsical.

Three words: Luke and Leia

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

But they were on the same side. Maybe it gives away the sibling connection, or creates one where there isn't. Either way, it's a fun question to think about that may or may not be answered 

Level 19 Jedi/Assassin in-training. 

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 16 | 17 | 18 |

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not." - Uncle Iroh

24 minutes ago, Flagwaver said:

I don't think the sibling angle is entirely correct.  I'm still betting that she's Luke's daughter.

TBH, at this point I kinda hope she's nobody's daughter.  Or rather, nobody we'll ever know or see.  I understand family is a big deal, but I feel like there's just too much of it all in Star Wars.  Like, Hey!  All the Jedi you ever see on screen after AOTC are in one big damn family!  (not totally true, I know, but it feels that way)

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

7 hours ago, Three Two Seven said:

I'm torn on the whole sibling thing.  Part of me wants her to be somewhere in the Skywalker family tree, but having somebody totally new could be exiting for the franchise too.  But I'm still more curious to get an answer to WHO THE HELL IS SNOKE?

^This. This a lot.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

I'm torn on the whole sibling thing.  Part of me wants her to be somewhere in the Skywalker family tree, but having somebody totally new could be exiting for the franchise too.  But I'm still more curious to get an answer to WHO THE HELL IS SNOKE?

The whole series is supposed to be about Darth Vader and his impact on the galaxy. I feel like The Chosen One has to be related to him somehow. Assuming that's Rey, she's gotta be of his lineage in my mind. If it's Kylo in the end, then we already know that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

1 hour ago, Oramac said:

So the Blu-Rey came out today.

Anyone already watched it?  I'm about halfway through watching it on my tablet at work.  haha.  

Should get to my house on Thursday. Planning on binging through it again and again to make up for all the times I didn't see it again in theaters this weekend while working through my sewing projects build up. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, SkiBlue said:

Should get to my house on Thursday. Planning on binging through it again and again to make up for all the times I didn't see it again in theaters this weekend while working through my sewing projects build up. 

Good plan!  I'm probably going to hit all the special features tonight, and maybe another time through tomorrow or Thursday.  

===========================================================

Something I did notice that brings up a silly question for the firearm enthusiasts among us:  Why the hell do some of the stormtrooper blasters (including Captain Phasma's) have both a fixed stock and a folding stock?  

shfigcaptainphasma6.jpg

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

25 minutes ago, Flagwaver said:

The AR-style stock (they actually used an AR-15/M4 stock) is for the sniper/sharpshooters.  The folding stock is more a design feature carried over from the previous incarnation of the blaster.

I mean, I get it.  But why keep the completely worthless folding stock on the version with the fixed stock?  It makes no sense.  

I suppose it really doesn't matter though.  Enjoy the movies!!  I watched all the special features last night.  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™