Forums are back in action! ×

Battle Kitten: Ascension

17 minutes ago, fleaball said:

I want to be able to run a 5k just because, and be crazy flexible, and be in decent enough shape that the next time @Sylvaa says "So anyone want to do a Super in Virginia at the end of the month?" (direct quote from September) I can be like "hell yeah sign me up" instead of "no thanks I will die."

This is totally a goal. A lot of people have goals like this. I trained to run a 5K because it annoyed me that I couldn't do it, not because I had any particular event planned. 

• Like 4

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

49 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

This is totally a goal. A lot of people have goals like this. I trained to run a 5K because it annoyed me that I couldn't do it, not because I had any particular event planned. 

Yeah. This is where I need to shift my thinking. I get stuck on things only being goals if there are medals at the end or like, quantifiable "run a 30-minute 5k." "Do a bunch of weird-ass bodyweight moves" isn't quantifiable and I don't want to lift, so I need to get creative and stop being dumb. 

In other news, I met with someone in HR to edit my resume and there is substantially less damage than I expected. Huzzah. 

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

1 minute ago, Countess D'If said:

I can't quote because mobile (I mean, I can, I just don't feel like fiddlefucking with it) but if you want SPARTAN (or a TM, whichev) to be your goal - and it sounds like you do? - there are gyms that specialize in training for OCR. They are pricy, but it might be super motivating. 

I don't actually think I do though. Like I want the ability to do that shit if an opportunity comes up but I'm not hardcore into doing it? And pffffffffffft I have no money. Also spending money on things doesn't force me into doing them either. I've tried that method with less than stellar results. But it's a good idea!

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Hello, I am pretty much in the same boat. Like, I just want to be ready for whatever comes my way - not necessarily training for any one thing.

Then I get to a point of doing everything and then overwhelming myself and then doing nothing. So I've got no advice, just letting you know I get it.

FWIW, if you stuck with C25K because you liked it (without a goal run), just keep doing it that way. BUT if you want to have quantifiable achievements, look into Crossfit benchmarks. You can use those as standards. Also, yay! it's almost Saturday!

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Hello, I am pretty much in the same boat. Like, I just want to be ready for whatever comes my way - not necessarily training for any one thing.

Then I get to a point of doing everything and then overwhelming myself and then doing nothing. So I've got no advice, just letting you know I get it.

FWIW, if you stuck with C25K because you liked it (without a goal run), just keep doing it that way. BUT if you want to have quantifiable achievements, look into Crossfit benchmarks. You can use those as standards. Also, yay! it's almost Saturday!

yaaaaay for people who can't make up their minds. =P If you find a magic solution I'm all ears. 

One day I will restart c25k again. I swear. I'll check out the crossfit stuff eventually. I'd like to just get myself doing something (anything) for now and maybe evaluate later. First I have to convince myself that I have free time. Which I do, for something short and/or not too intense. I feel like I'm crazy busy all the time but that's not exactly reality. 

Yaaaay Saturday. I don't know if I'll be attempting to run it at all depending on whether I get better. Chest congestion is still a bitch atm. Boo. 

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

7 hours ago, fleaball said:

Bleh. Dear brain, please work like a normal brain. Thanks. 

I think you're brain is working great rn, that was a sweet breakthrough/realisation/whatever you want to call it! And I totally get, deadlines and money don't necessarily motivate you into training. Plus, surely doing something because you enjoy is better than doing it because you feel obliged anyway? I reckon drop all your expectations and just think 'hey body, what do you feel like doing today?' and go from there. Try different stuff and if you like it keep it, if not try something else. 

• Like 4

The only non-race-day time to pick up your packet is Friday night. In northern Virginia. Noooo thank you. I'm almost disappointed we moved last year bc my old house is right down the street and I could have just left everything at home. Ah well. 

Talked to girl after class. It felt weird and forced. This is why I can't have nice things. 

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

How to start your day off right: cough so hard you throw up. :x

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

9 hours ago, fleaball said:

The only non-race-day time to pick up your packet is Friday night. In northern Virginia. Noooo thank you. I'm almost disappointed we moved last year bc my old house is right down the street and I could have just left everything at home. Ah well. 

Talked to girl after class. It felt weird and forced. This is why I can't have nice things. 

I am supposed to have the packets mailed - they still haven't arrived. But ugh for now having an extra early morning to make sure I have a packet. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

I am supposed to have the packets mailed - they still haven't arrived. But ugh for now having an extra early morning to make sure I have a packet. 

That was a good plan and I hope they don't screw you over. >> I was considering going out Friday but it's just going to be too much effort. I'll just be hanging out at the stadium super early. 

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Jesus H Christ if I get the opportunity to switch research assistant professors for next semester I am fucking jumping on it. We were supposed to meet last Tuesday evening; I email to confirm Tuesday morning and she says she's overbooked, can we meet this week? Sure. Ask what time she wants to see me and never get a response. Email this morning to confirm/double check the time because the trains are currently fucked to hell; she's overbooked again and will just email me something in the next two days. Thank fuck I thought to ask about it because honestly what the hell. And of course I really can't go complain to anyone because I've been getting paid the entire semester for nothing. Ugh. At least I don't have to drag my ass all the way to campus tonight.

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Just got a call from the investment advisor taking over my account. Excuse me while I got cry over the state of my finances. Or lack thereof. T_T

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

11 hours ago, fleaball said:

How to start your day off right: cough so hard you throw up. :x

:o that sounds terrible! I hope you are feeling better now and that was the last of the sickness leaving you! Ugh.

5 hours ago, fleaball said:

Just got a call from the investment advisor taking over my account. Excuse me while I got cry over the state of my finances. Or lack thereof. T_T

Hugs! You've got the rest of your life to earn the big bucks, 'though I know that's not much comfort. Kittens are though:

nope, computer is being a dick and won't post gifs. I'll keep trying

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Owlet said:

:o that sounds terrible! I hope you are feeling better now and that was the last of the sickness leaving you! Ugh.

Hugs! You've got the rest of your life to earn the big bucks, 'though I know that's not much comfort. Kittens are though:

nope, computer is being a dick and won't post gifs. I'll keep trying

Yeah I'm guessing the coughing was just "oh shit it's morning and you haven't coughed all night. Time to make up for it!" Because I wasn't actually coughing up anything gross. :rolleyes:

Lol it's not so much the desire to earn big bucks so much as the $160k student loan debt that needs to be paid off and the desire not to live on cat food when I'm 60. Although I very much appreciate the hugs and the kitten gif. <3

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

1 minute ago, fleaball said:

Lol it's not so much the desire to earn big bucks so much as the $160k student loan debt that needs to be paid off and the desire not to live on cat food when I'm 60. Although I very much appreciate the hugs and the kitten gif. <3

Lol yeah, that's why I thought you might need big bucks. Apparently my aunty tried cat food once, said it needed more salt. 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Owlet said:

Lol yeah, that's why I thought you might need big bucks. Apparently my aunty tried cat food once, said it needed more salt. 

I once talked someone into taste testing cat vs dog food, and apparently cat food is significantly better. 

• Like 4

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

18 minutes ago, Owlet said:

I believe that.

3 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

I once talked someone into taste testing cat vs dog food, and apparently cat food is significantly better. 

I want the story behind this, please and thank you. 

Someone I worked with at a supermarket tried dog ice cream and Scooby Snax, but only because he didn't realize either of them were for dogs. The ice cream was good, that biscuits not so much, apparently.

• Like 4

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

29 minutes ago, fleaball said:

I believe that.

Someone I worked with at a supermarket tried dog ice cream and Scooby Snax, but only because he didn't realize either of them were for dogs. The ice cream was good, that biscuits not so much, apparently.

To be fair, they have human Scooby Snax too (spoiler alert - they are graham crackers). 

My baby brother used to eat cat food all the time when he was little - the cat food was at his level and he'd get some as he walked past. My other brother ate fish food a few times. No one died.

Also, crippling student loan debt is awful. We will have our house paid off before we get finished with student loans, I swear.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, fleaball said:

Ok, so I am apparently very persuasive?? And I sometimes use this power for evil. 

My dog always wants to eat my cat's food (and everything else) before his, so once when I was in middle school my mom and one of my friends were wondering which one was tastier. I told my friend she should try them both to see which one was tastier so we could find out the truth. And somehow I talked her into it?? So she tried a little piece of dog food and then a little piece of cat food. Based on her face, they were both disgusting, but she said the cat food was SIGNIFICANTLY better than the dog food. 

I actually have a history of feeding people pet food. (Apparently I really love pets??) When my sister was a toddler, she used to sometimes eat cat food. My parents put the cat food bucket up on top of the washing machine so she couldn't get to it. But I thought it was HILARIOUS when she ate cat food, so I would take it down off the washer for her and feed it to her. There's a picture of me somewhere when they caught me in the act. :P 

Another time in college I was wandering Target with some friends and we were in the video game section. My friend mentioned she had never played a pokemon game, and I was all "OH MAN you should totally buy a 3DS so you can play it" and I wheedled her a bit and she totally bought one. 

Another time I ALMOST convinced my roommate to adopt a second cat when we were visiting the SPCA. She called her mom and her mom said no, but she totally would have adopted it otherwise. 

• Like 6

Aaaand that just made my morning. 

• Like 3

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

10 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

This showed up in my Pinterest feed today. 

I am choking on my lunch omfg. 

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Observation for the day: I put on eyeliner for the first time in like six weeks and holy shit I look like an actual human being. It's weird how that works out. (My old one snapped in my bag one day and I've been too damn lazy to replace it.)

I cannot focus on anything at work today. Luckily I don't have actual work to do. But there is a shit ton of homework that needs to be done and I just keep staring blankly at my screen. (Side note, one of my assignments is a presentation on the group paper from last week. I cut & pasted my section into a separate document and apparently I wrote 6 pages of the 12 total. Ugh.) It's 3:45 and all I've done is print a thing and shoot off some emails. Le sigh. This is not how you're supposed to be productive, Flea. 

Also for the past week our hot water has only been lukewarm at best. It's not ice cold so the pilot can't be out, but I have no idea what it is. And captain dickhead downstairs hasn't answered my text about it. Whee. 

I can haz Christmas break now?

• Like 4

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi