Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Not from the gym, and a bit steortyped, but fun ;D

That's awesome.

I don't know about anyone else's gym, but along with the already dwindling crowd of resolutioners, my gym picked up to other groups this year: 1) yet more bros and 2) couples trying to get fit together.

It's the second group I mention here because my wife and I were relagated to the group training barbell area to do our SL workout, and saw a couple about our age attempting what looked like it could have been SL with just the bar (they need some serious coaching on squats is all I can say so far).

Anyway, the had finished and were by the lockers next to the group training area as my wife and I were just finishing out warmup sets and the my wife overheard the female in the couple point to us and say: "see, that's how deep we're supposed to do it". Not so much funny, but it did fill me with a prideful glow.

• Like 4

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

What...the...hell.

Just out of curiosity, what was it about this video that you are responding to?

I've seen what happens when people have poor foot position while running.  I personally am dealing with stiffness in rotation.

Up until the last 90 seconds or so, he had a decent thing going there.  Not great, but justified.

The only thing that I really disagreed with was the depth recommendation for strength, but other than that it seems like his recommendations for mechanics are pretty decent.

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

Just out of curiosity, what was it about this video that you are responding to?

I've seen what happens when people have poor foot position while running.  I personally am dealing with stiffness in rotation.

Up until the last 90 seconds or so, he had a decent thing going there.  Not great, but justified.

The only thing that I really disagreed with was the depth recommendation for strength, but other than that it seems like his recommendations for mechanics are pretty decent.

I listened to his spiel and it made a certain amount of common sense, but I didn't feel the need to fact check the techno-babble he was putting out.  Until we got to his opinions on squat depth.

His attitude about proper squat depth is what threw me.  And made me discount the rest of the material presented (mind you, that doesn't make the initial material actually wrong, but his opinions on squat depth are enough to convince me, using the "common sense" standard, to discount what he has say elsewhere - or at least make me very not motivated to go through the fact-checking process.)

I saw something epic in the gym a few days ago. It wasn't an epic lift, or a legendary gymnastic feat. Instead there was this fairly average woman, doing fairly average exercises, but with a twist. She did them while carrying around a baby, now that is the type of dedication I can support. No excuses! :D

• Like 8

I listened to his spiel and it made a certain amount of common sense, but I didn't feel the need to fact check the techno-babble he was putting out.  Until we got to his opinions on squat depth.

His attitude about proper squat depth is what threw me.  And made me discount the rest of the material presented (mind you, that doesn't make the initial material actually wrong, but his opinions on squat depth are enough to convince me, using the "common sense" standard, to discount what he has say elsewhere - or at least make me very not motivated to go through the fact-checking process.)

I'm not saying he's wrong or anything. What I mostly found humorous what his general attitude. I am not poking fun at his training methods, I am poking fun at him as a person. Haha. He's such an easy target, Bret Contreras even wasted his time writing an entire blog post about him. He is pretty funny.

photo.jpg

"It [Powerlifting and Olympic Weightlifting] restricts dynamic movement in a 3 dimensional reality.  I have not only written it, but i've said it a million times"

Come on.

Also not "overheard", but today, I walked into my gym at around dinnertime, and was welcomed by the smell of pizza, which revealed itself coming from an XL pizza lying on the lobby/reception counter. 

I am not sure what the story was, but the girl who stands at the reception/welcome desk/bar was standing at the very end of it, eating pizza with someone I assume was her friends and they were talking loudly about some guy problems they had.

Luckily, I had already eaten and I was not craving pizza in first place. However, I do wonder how those women (it's women-only gym) who want to lose weight and go there to avoid distractions and triggers (I know at least two, whom I did not see tonight, though) felt about that.

Goblin | Level 7 | STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 3.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 2.5

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

Last month, in the midst of all the new year madness, I temporarily shifted my gym schedule to the morning.  And one morning, I was in for a real treat.

I got to see a (college-aged guy, possibly home over winter break) doing... wait for it... cable bicep curls... while kneeling on a bosu ball.  It took a great deal of concentration not to break form when I saw this in the middle of a set of rows.  It only got better when one of the trainers (who is a legitimate badass, and can deadlift over 500 lbs) comes up to him and says "What the hell are you doing?" and proceeds to try to set bosu-curl-bro on the path toward more productive exercises.

I about lost it at that point.  It definitely made the 5:15 AM wake-up time to make it into the gym before work, well worth the lost sleep.

• Like 4

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

I'm not saying he's wrong or anything. What I mostly found humorous what his general attitude. I am not poking fun at his training methods, I am poking fun at him as a person. Haha. He's such an easy target, Bret Contreras even wasted his time writing an entire blog post about him. He is pretty funny.

"It [Powerlifting and Olympic Weightlifting] restricts dynamic movement in a 3 dimensional reality.  I have not only written it, but i've said it a million times"

Come on.

I watched about four minutes of the same video.  When does he do a squat?

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

I remember once at my gym the squat rack was taken by a guy. Okay great, I figure I'll just do some more warmup stretching while he finishes his squats. Turns out, he was doing bicep curls. In the squat rack. Wearing a lifting belt AND lifting straps! 

Level 2 Warrior  | STR 4 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 4 | WIS 4 | CHA 3 |

Current Challenge  First Challenge

People like that make me want to facewall, there is a guy like that at our gym. He comes in puts on his belt and starts his machine work (chestpress, cables, etc) does some curls and leaves. I'm left wondering if he just saw powerlifters wear belts and assume it makes you magically stronger like a "belt of giant strength" in an rpg.

• Like 4

Not sure about this. Maybe it's some new thing. But my gym is full of women belting for tiny dumbbells, like less than 5kgs and also women wearing tapered belts backwards (wide end to the front). Have I missed something or is it as weird as it seems?

The valiant never taste of death but once.

Battle Log:

100 Day Bench Press Challenge (64 Days)

Challenge: 1, 2

Estrix, level 1 Goblin Raider

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Not sure about this. Maybe it's some new thing. But my gym is full of women belting for tiny dumbbells, like less than 5kgs and also women wearing tapered belts backwards (wide end to the front). Have I missed something or is it as weird as it seems?

Going by this site, wearing the belt backwards giver your abs more support... http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/strengthening/a/aa060201a.htm

and you know we can't have women lifting and getting all swole, so those abs need all the support they can get.

That's what it sounds like to me.

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

People like that make me want to facewall, there is a guy like that at our gym. He comes in puts on his belt and starts his machine work (chestpress, cables, etc) does some curls and leaves. I'm left wondering if he just saw powerlifters wear belts and assume it makes you magically stronger like a "belt of giant strength" in an rpg.

A bit like the ones who think protein shakes 'give you muscle' or 'make you strong'.

Not quite as common after basic fitness knowledge has been reached, but I keep coming across it. "Like, how many shakes do I have to drink to pack on muscle?" or "I can't drink that! I don't want to gain muscle!"

GIF-fake-Gary-Oldman-ingenuine-Polite-Sm

warrior : level 8

str: 20.75 | dex: 13.75 | sta: 11.75 | con: 9.75 | wis: 8.25 | cha: 4.75

''Difficult' and 'impossible' are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common' - Locke Lamora

But that stuff's true, I know it is!  When I was 6 my incredible hulk shoes made me hella strong, so I wore them every day.

I still miss them from time to time.

• Like 7

Level 2 Human Squire

I want to be a Paladin.  Current Challenge Battle Log

Previous Challenges: 1  2

Challenge: Go from a 42 inch waist to a 34 inch waist

25%
25%

Challenge: 100 Wilkes point deadlift.

76.73%
76.73%

That reminds me of a guy i watched doing superb strict form overhead presses for about 3 sets. Then he belted up... to do lat pull downs. I just don't get it.

I'm happy for someone to tell me how not using a belt on OHP but wearing it on lat pull downs is a good combo, I just don't see it for myself just now.

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

That reminds me of a guy i watched doing superb strict form overhead presses for about 3 sets. Then he belted up... to do lat pull downs. I just don't get it.

I'm happy for someone to tell me how not using a belt on OHP but wearing it on lat pull downs is a good combo, I just don't see it for myself just now.

Well you see, when you're doing overhead presses, your back doesn't move. Therefore no belt is needed...

When you're doing lat pulldowns, you have to pull with your back to get the weight moving, then use your arms to finish the movement... therefore a belt is needed to prevent back injury.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

Well you see, when you're doing overhead presses, your back doesn't move. Therefore no belt is needed...

When you're doing lat pulldowns, you have to pull with your back to get the weight moving, then use your arms to finish the movement... therefore a belt is needed to prevent back injury.

Seems like the complete opposite of the logic about when you use your core (I.e. The reason a belt can help you) to support your frame. Certainly strongmen and power lifters I follow use a belt during OHP but not during lay pull downs.

Dwarf Warrior

Seems like the complete opposite of the logic about when you use your core (I.e. The reason a belt can help you) to support your frame. Certainly strongmen and power lifters I follow use a belt during OHP but not during lay pull downs.

I was using bro-science... :-)

• Like 2

My first challenge

Like I previously mentioned here, Curl Bro is obsolete and Squat Bro has taken over.

*Funny, I only used to pull Sumo (started about 8 years ago), and I happen to be a deranged sexual immigrant.

There's only one belt [or buckle thereof] that counts

WS%2520Buckle.jpg

No, I don't have one

tumblr_mfepyqA9JG1rkf4k0o1_1280.jpg

I don't have one either.

• Like 2

That video was almost exactly desribing me, except I don't sumo and don't pretend I enjoy leg day. Other than that, spot on. Shit.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

That video was almost exactly desribing me, except I don't sumo and don't pretend I enjoy leg day. Other than that, spot on. Shit.

I have a beard. That's about it.  Also, I do like leg day, but that's because I take great pleasure in doing the things everyone else hates.

• Like 1

Did I offer advice in my post?  Please keep the following in mind:

• I am not a doctor nor any other kind of medical professional.
  • I am not a lawyer.
  • I am not a mental health provider
  • I am not a nutritionist
  • Your mileage may vary
  • I don't do anything in moderation
  • I have lots of injuries & if you train like me, you probably will too.