Forums are back in action! ×

Happy, health, strong. <-- goals (fear, unfit, overweight <-- now)

Hello.

This is a little bit of a reboot, I posted an Introduction last year but disappeared after that, so I'm getting started here now.

I've lost a considerable amount of weight through healthy diet changes, but fallen a little bit off that bandwagon, so my first goal is to get that back under control and continue my downward journey, best thing to track is if I had a home-cooked meal or not every day, and my snacking.

In terms of fitness, I've started working with a personal trainer and feel like I'm making good progress, from "what is a plank??" to "ok, alternative full to side planks and back? sure I can knock out a dozen of those." I'm in the gym working with him 3 times a week, and adding on a home plan too soon.

I'll describe the workout(s) I'm doing at the moment, and look for advice!

One slight issue is that I've been diagnosed with a mal-tracking kneecap, physio has cleared me working with my trainer, who has me doing balance and motion exercises instead of my normal "leg" day, only been a week since I went to the physio, and two weeks since my knee started 'popping' -- and I feel like it's adjusting and getting better -- picked up some insoles the physio told me to get to help resolve the underlying flatfootedness which he thinks is putting me out of line and contributing to the knee issues.

Past history of a pretty bad back, had a micro-diskectomy L5-S1, 5 years ago, and 95% of the time I have no issues, particularly since I've lost weight and added core exercise (surprise surprise!), but sometimes when I'm doing a particular exercise... I "feel" it in my back and its like a switch flips and I'm out. Need to figure out when it's a good, protective, reaction and when it's just fear and holding me back.

Enough intro, thanks for reading!

Fio

• Like 1

My Starting Point Thread

My main fitness focus has been bodyweight focused, working with a trainer to get my core working, and to get me moving well.

Currently I do three gym workouts a week, one core focused, one leg focused, one torso focused.

Core (circuits, had been doing development sets, but started doing circuits recently):

* Crunch + Extend legs (my nemesis of this workout)

* Plank + Leg Fold

* Knee Roll

* Plank to side plank

* reverse knee roll (not sure whats this is called)

I find the first circuit is fine, but on the second one, I'm trying to crunch and then extend, but I seem to try to do both at the same time, I feel it in my back and I shut down completely,  from doing 12ish in the first circuit to struggling to do 2-3 in the second, and subsequent ones.

Torso (development, so doing 3-4 sets and moving on)

* Pushups (against a bar, which has various height settings) -- seriously struggling with lowering this, and in particular with the "reverse" pushup, when I start at the bottom and pushup, rather than start at the top and go down -- feel like I'm working my arms too much and not my chest, but can't seem to "switch it on" appropriately, this has me in tears of sheer frustration -- as well as jelly armed/shouldered for the rest of the day.

* Row (in a machine, not typical for me), loving this. Weight cranks up every time, and it's... easy. I mean the weight is hard, but the motion is fine and I feel like I'm doing it right, and my trainer agrees.

* Overhead tricep barbell thing -- it's not a tricep extension, but I start with the bar on my chest and then heave it to straight overhead, arms locked out?

Legs (new)

* Motion, squats to a bench, barefooted.

* Balance work- kick to front and back curtsy like things on a block one-legged.

* Balance work- one legged squat like things.

(and others)

I also got a program from my physio yesterday, will write it up when I get a chance.

My Starting Point Thread

Crunches are evil, especially with the leg extend. The overhead tricep barbell thing sounds like an overhead press?

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

On 14/08/2016 at 7:10 AM, Cascade said:

Crunches are evil, especially with the leg extend. The overhead tricep barbell thing sounds like an overhead press?

Hey, from reading that I think it's actually a "push press" since I'm "bouncing"  little before pushing it up overhead and locking my elbows.

Crunches in general have been good with me, but the leg extend.... ugh.

My Starting Point Thread