Do you remember the word you used last year in a discussion describing the opposite of automaticity.  Had to do with how with how easy it was to lose a habit even after it has been kept for months. Like brushing my teeth is a habit I've never stopped.  On the other hand I exercised everyday for 5months last year, then lost the habit.  I can dig through all my posts if you can't but asking first seemed a bit easier.  Thanks

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

30 minutes ago, peelout said:

Do you remember the word you used last year in a discussion describing the opposite of automaticity.  Had to do with how with how easy it was to lose a habit even after it has been kept for months. Like brushing my teeth is a habit I've never stopped.  On the other hand I exercised everyday for 5months last year, then lost the habit.  I can dig through all my posts if you can't but asking first seemed a bit easier.  Thanks

I think I found it.

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

On 1/26/2017 at 11:15 AM, The Most Loathed said:

Many thanks.  Cessation propensity - a measure of regressing on a habit (either a good one like exercise or a bad one like smoking).

Current Challenge 

15 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

This is good intel. I'll have to take a look. I admit, I've never read anything on Whole 30 other than what you lot talk about here.

Edit: I placed a hold on It Starts with Food at my local library.

I had forgotten that I have this book in my Kindle app and will have to look at it. Just really hate ebooks because I'm such a page flipper. Was going to suggest you put the It Begins With Food Cookbook also on hold which is the companion book that has the actual recipes. I've been "flipping" through that and finding some good ideas.

Viking Adventurer

Battle Log: Bearlee is ...

On 1/27/2017 at 2:09 AM, Bearlee said:

I had forgotten that I have this book in my Kindle app and will have to look at it. Just really hate ebooks because I'm such a page flipper. Was going to suggest you put the It Begins With Food Cookbook also on hold which is the companion book that has the actual recipes. I've been "flipping" through that and finding some good ideas.

Yeah, I've owned two Kindles. One died and my second one just never quite fit quite right in my hands to make me happy. I could deal with a book that was a bad fit but not every book. I've gone back to dead trees in the last year.

I read up on Whole 30 a bit and it's not what I thought it was. Now I'm wondering what I was thinking of. What it appears to be is just a very strict commitment to 30 days of going paleo. What I thought it was was and elimination diet. Meaning that week one you cut back to the most agreeable foods for more people, rice and maybe chicken and maybe a couple basic veggies. Then over weeks you add back certain foods and see what causes you to sleep and perform more poorly. I thought some folks around here were doing something like that and I had thought it was called Whole 30 but now I don't know if I just misunderstood what they were doing or if it just has a different name.

Well, this weekend, the thing I griped about a couple weeks ago did happen. We went down to visit my parents. We arrived early in the afternoon on Friday and everything seemed fine. We were chatting, there were some veggies if we wanted to much. We were figuring out what we wanted to eat. Laura had talked about ordering in pizza because we've both mentioned it a couple times in the past couple months but are always reticent to take action on it. 

As we're getting towards evening my dad asks me if my mom had mentioned her plan for this weekend. I said nothing in particular had been discussed an he replied that my sister was coming out with her husband and the baby to stay the whole weekend with us. Yep, two straight days with my niece.

My niece is cute and like most toddlers she's fun to see, more articulate than I expect and just generally..a baby. She was dealing with an ear infection that I think bothered her mom more than her. The parents were both griping of tough days at work. 

They got there and we had pizza, it was fine. As the evening was winding down and people realized that there really wasn't an ideal sleeping arrangement. So we offered to got get a hotel room but my parents said that if anyone would do that it would be them (which I get but don't get). Laura and I offered to sleep in the basement. Nope, we had to stay in the room we usually stay in. so my sister and niece ended up on a futon mattress in the basement while my brother-in-law got the basement couch. This had the added bonus of effectively making the basement off limits since it is now someone's bedroom, but it's the room my parents most often entertain in. 

So, we got to spend two whole days with a baby. It was fine but I just don't get it. We would have been all to glad to visit my sister and her family at their house and make them a meal. It would have let all them sleep at home and let us have an excuse to spend some time out of the house just doing us things rather than two days of sitting in the living room, waiting for the next meal.  I'm going to try an delicately point out that we should not do this the same way again.

So that way pretty much my weekend but here's a few more details

Thursday - planned on no workout but thought I might squeeze one in. Nope. Instead, ordered Indian and ate an entire dish to myself. I proposed Laura and I start splitting a dish.

Friday - hopped in the car and road to Iowa. Breakfast was 1/2 cup rolled oats + 2 tbsp ginger jelly, lunch was a whopper with cheese, supper was 3 slices from a medium Domino's Pizza and as many veggies as I wanted. Totally inactive.

Saturday - probably 4 eggs and 3 strips of bacon for breakfast, lunch was veggie soup with some sliced meat cut up and thrown in and as many veggies as I wanted, supper was more of the same, totally inactive. Sleep sucked

Sunday - breakfast was probably 3 eggs and a little oatmeal, lunch was chicken shwarma at our gluten free place with cauliflower rice, supper was a double-decker egg sandwich. inactive day three

This week

• Monday - kettlebell workout, no open gym, doing chores all evening, meal delivery for the week.
  • Tuesday - making Asian noodle dish with some leftovers that I will keep for next week
  • Wednesday - open gym, circuit workout
  • Thursday - planning to row or jog depending on how the trails look, starting a new campaign game with my former Target crew, Arkham Horror the Card Game. 
  • Friday - Off night, I see us going out for dinner, probably sushi. Starts a chill weekend
  • Saturday - massages. Not sure if I'll workout or not
  • Sunday - workout, chores

That's going to do it for now.

• Like 3

Oh! For my D&D nerds.  I borrowed Volo's Guide to Monsters from a from a friend and read about half of it on the way down and back up from Iowa, love it. It appears to be broken into 3 major parts

Monster encampments and cultures

This is the part I've read so far and I love it. It takes things like Beholders, Mind Flayers, Kobolds and more and really gets into how their society would be laid out, who the ally with versus who they feud with. It talks about how they deal with their young and their old, organize their encampments and so on. The section on Hags alone is worth the read

Playable Races

In each adventure, or almost each adventure, they have introduced new playable races (Goliath, bird people (aarock or something like that) ) this appears to be a compilation of some or all of those for people who don't have all the adventure books. I think you can find all these in free, official PDFs too but it's nice they they compiled them.They don't appear to include any of the other character building stuff that has come out in those books but maybe other content books in the future will

Bestiary

This mostly gives you state blocks for specific types of beasts mentioned in section one like the Lich / Mind Flayer, the specific flavors of Hags, the new Gnoll types they introduce and so on. there appear to be a couple monsters that don't tie to anything and I wonder if those were in other adventure books I haven't seen.

The pretext of the book, that a D&D character (Volo) wrote it and that his rival (Elminster) wrote notes in the margins to argue with him is super thin and really should have been skipped all together. If you're the kind of person that enjoys reading through the Monster Manual or an adventure book, you should read this.

• Like 3

Ah, families.  I got to spend the weekend with in-laws.  "Best" bit: I left puppy alone with others for a minute, came back to be told (by two people in the room) that he'd peed on the carpet.  When I asked where so I could tidy up, I was told they'd covered it with a blanket!  I wasn't given any more help so ended up feeling around to try to find a wet patch, and then scrubbed away at it for a bit.  But seriously!

1 minute ago, LouCarJo said:

Ah, families.  I got to spend the weekend with in-laws.  "Best" bit: I left puppy alone with others for a minute, came back to be told (by two people in the room) that he'd peed on the carpet.  When I asked where so I could tidy up, I was told they'd covered it with a blanket!  I wasn't given any more help so ended up feeling around to try to find a wet patch, and then scrubbed away at it for a bit.  But seriously!

families

Judge-Judy-Shake-My-Head-Gif_zps66b02891

4 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

Playable Races

In each adventure, or almost each adventure, they have introduced new playable races (Goliath, bird people (aarock or something like that) ) this appears to be a compilation of some or all of those for people who don't have all the adventure books. I think you can find all these in free, official PDFs too but it's nice they they compiled them.They don't appear to include any of the other character building stuff that has come out in those books but maybe other content books in the future will

I remember once that our DM wanted to do a non-standard playable race game.  I ended up picking a minotaur warrior.  He was fun.  So many things you can do when you went from medium size to large size in D&D 3.5.  Sadly that campaign didn't last long.  

Just now, Rooks said:

I remember once that our DM wanted to do a non-standard playable race game.  I ended up picking a minotaur warrior.  He was fun.  So many things you can do when you went from medium size to large size in D&D 3.5.  Sadly that campaign didn't last long.  

They haven't released a playable minotaur yet but I can see one being homebrewed pretty easily. I remember when ShadowRun came out with their expanded playable races. It was hard to want to go back to play old human, orc, elf, dwarf and troll. I think of the new D&D playable races, I've heard of the bird people getting used the most but they do have some other cool ones.

9 minutes ago, The Most Loathed said:

They haven't released a playable minotaur yet but I can see one being homebrewed pretty easily. I remember when ShadowRun came out with their expanded playable races. It was hard to want to go back to play old human, orc, elf, dwarf and troll. I think of the new D&D playable races, I've heard of the bird people getting used the most but they do have some other cool ones.

Took me a bit to remember, but we had used the Savage Species book to figure out how to do it.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_Species

19 hours ago, Rooks said:

Took me a bit to remember, but we had used the Savage Species book to figure out how to do it.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_Species

Yeah, 3 had a ton of highly specialized books for that kind of stuff. In 5 they really seem to want the DM to make those kinds of rules but the DMs Guild has a lot of PDFs for sale of alternate monsters, classes, races, so on.

01/30/2017

weight: 217 - really happy with this post family trip

calories: 1644

clean eating: Yes

dex: drawing drills

training:

1:00 cleans (two bells)

1:00 jerks (two bells)

1:00 long cycle (two bells)

2:00 rest

x 4 (24, 24, 24, 20)

burpees 1 minute on, 1 minute off ~10 RPM x 5

Rows 10/10 x 5

Took about an hour, maybe a little more.

I had dreams of getting to paint since I haven't in a couple weeks but kept myself too busy otherwise and didn't get to. May try to tonight.

Last night I prepped a marinade for my chicken for tonight. It should make tonight's supper an easy 15-20 minute prep. It should also leave me with left of chicken for Monday, as I go back to cooking for my lunches again. I'm really trying to take the more "normal" tack of making a little extra multiple times a week rather than a single big prep day. It's pretty clear that if I go back to a major prep day then we're going to go back to ordering my lunches. They're pretty good but I just kind of like making my own. 

Other than watching politics with ever growing horror, life's pretty boring this week which is not a bad thing. I feel like I'm supposed to have more going on but, stuff is just real stable and I'm trying to be ok with that. Laura and I talked a bit about vacation planning last weekend but nothing solid. We'll probably talk about that a bit more this weekend. I think we're going to do a quick road trip this spring but we've talked about doing something involving air travel this fall. If we stay stateside then I'm pushing for Seattle. If we leave the country, we're thinking Europe. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

Yeah, 3 had a ton of highly specialized books for that kind of stuff. In 5 they really seem to want the DM to make those kinds of rules but the DMs Guild has a lot of PDFs for sale of alternate monsters, classes, races, so on.

01/30/2017

weight: 217 - really happy with this post family trip

calories: 1644

training:

1:00 cleans (two bells)

1:00 jerks (two bells)

1:00 long cycle (two bells)

2:00 rest

x 4 (24, 24, 24, 20)

burpees 1 minute on, 1 minute off ~10 RPM x 5

Rows 10/10 x 5

Took about an hour, maybe a little more.

Great w/o, especially the 5 sets of burpees.  Leave you winded?

2 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

Other than watching politics with ever growing horror,  

I'm so with you there.  These presidential decrees are going to start a precedent.  Every president will not write a bunch of these and change what the last pres did w/ no input from congress.  I didn't like when Obama did it and I don't like it now.  Thats why the founders created a congress.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

8 minutes ago, peelout said:

Great w/o, especially the 5 sets of burpees.  Leave you winded?

I'm so with you there.  These presidential decrees are going to start a precedent.  Every president will not write a bunch of these and change what the last pres did w/ no input from congress.  I didn't like when Obama did it and I don't like it now.  Thats why the founders created a congress.

They did. The first couple sets left we pretty good, I got twelve reps per set. The third set I started to fatigue and only got 11, 10 for the forth and 9 for the the last one. 

I want to comment more on the executive orders but am finding it hard to articulate a meaningful sentence. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Most Loathed said:

I want to comment more on the executive orders but am finding it hard to articulate a meaningful sentence. 

lmao (first time I ever used lmao abbreviation in my life)

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

20 hours ago, peelout said:

lmao (first time I ever used lmao abbreviation in my life)

I'm glad that I could help you grow :)

01/31/2017

weight: 217 (I got almost the exact same weights as the day before)

calories: 2181

clean eating: No

training: Off

Food was not great yesterday. Laura and I each had a drink with dinner, we split a bag of chips we had laying around (a Jimmy John's bag, not a big bag), I had a serving of pringles earlier in the day. I just underplanned food for the day and am dealing with the inevitable additional cravings after a weekend of not eating properly. 

I did a recipe for the second time yesterday and it was really good. This is one of my recipes that I will use and reuse for my lunches. I even did a marinade with it. Here's how I made it:

The day before:

• Chop half a head of garlic, measure out a tablespoon of Oyster Sauce, two tablespoons of Tamari, one tablespoon of brown sugar
  • I put a small pan on the stove and threw in about a tablespoon of butter. Once it browns I threw in the garlic. Once the garlic starts to brown I turned off the stovetop and mixed in the sauces and brown sugar. 
  • I threw half the resulting sauce over a pound of chicken thighs and save half in a container

The day of:

• pulled the marinated chicken out to warm up for 20 minutes or so
  • threw the chicken under the broiler on low and just kind of monitored it until I thought it was done
  • while the chicken is cooking I chopped green onions and minced jalapenos
  • When the chicken is done I cooked 2 oz of brown rice noodles
  • When the noodles are done I tossed them in the remaining sauce and throw in the green onions and pepper
  • roughly chop the chicken and throw one thigh (1/4 lb) in each plate

It looks like a lot when written down but I spend probably 15 minutes prepping the day before and 30 minutes the day of. 

now I'm listening to the Henry Rollins podcast thanks to @Bearlee talking about it. It's making me want to travel, which Laura and I have been talking about anyway, although we aren't talking on the level he did....That makes me want to go down a rabbit hole...

• Like 3

02/01/2017

weight: 216.5

calories: 2160

clean eating: No

dex: drawing drills, penpal letter

training: 

Snatch 20 kg 15 RPM 6:00, 1 hand switch

Goblet Squat 20 kg 20, 5

Snatch 16 kg 15 RPM 8:00, 1 hand switch

Goblet Squat 20 kg 15, 10

Snatch 12 kg 17 RPM 10:00, 1 hand switch

Goblet Squat 20 kg 10, 10, 5

• Like 4

first world problem gripe: the followed content page isn't working correctly right now. The "content I started" filter isn't working, which is how I find my own thread to post each day.

02/02/2017

weight: 216.2

calories: 2146

dex: none

training: none

calories are high. I was hungry in the afternoon and had some pistachios because I knew I'd be rowing and didn't sweat the calories. Then I didn't end up rowing. Laura was looking like she was feeling a little beat down by the week and when I asked, yep. So we altered supper plans (but kept them reasonable with breakfast sandwiches) and I skipped rowing to watch an episode of Twin Peaks with her. We saw the death of the person who killed Laura Palmer. 

I'm supposed to row tonight instead, we'll see how that goes

I have been working on my big reading project but haven't updated it in a while. I'm on book 5, about 600 pages in. I remember this as my favorite book of the series and I don't know if it's because of that expectation or what but I'm enjoying it less than I expected. I'd even say I'm enjoying the side characters much more than the main characters. I remembered that the new Emperor was a rotten bastard but on this reread, he's more of scared child than I expected. My contrast, Tehol Beddict I think I took as just a comedic interlude but I'm really digging his storyline and it seems like he's arguably one of the most important threads. It probably doesn't hurt that he hasa shades of Locke Lamora.

Rereading these five books has been interesting because my opinions have changed a lot on the storylines. I think the first time through I was just trying to grasp the main branches of the story. On a reread the main branches are already in my mind and I'm seeing subplots and subtexts as so much more important where in the first read through I think I largely ignored them.

According to Good Reads, I've read the next book as well but I recall literally nothing about it. After that, it's into new territory for me. It will be interesting to contrast the experience. I'm already asking myself when I want to make a second pass through the entire series. I'm thinking 2019.

A book series I have been loving is The Iron Druid Chronicles. I hate this comparison but it's the best I have, imagine if Harry Dresden was a druid and not a wizard, that's this. To be clear, I don't like the Dresden Files. I think the idea is great but the execution sucks. That's what I think of Academs Fury too so I think that I just don't like Jim Butcher's style, which sucks because I want to. So take the Harry Dresden idea that I love and shift it to a writer who's style I like and boom Atticus O'Sullivan.  

My library system uses a company called Overdrive for their digital collection and I've been checking out Iron Druid books to listen to while commuting. They're pulpy and fun and well written. They escalate pretty quickly from taking care of his home region (Tempe, AZ) to globe and inter-dimensional conflict, which is something I don't like in Dresden but my brain seems to be totally on board for in Iron Druid and I can't say why. Regadless, I'm starting book 7 and love the preceding 6.

And now I shall drag out my soap box...

One second while I get up here...

Ok, two topic: Old lifters - especially on the internet

Bearlee convinced me (with very little effort) to listen to the Henry Rollins episode of the Joe Rogan podcast. Joe's about to turn 50, Henry's well into his 50s both have a lifetime of training behind them. Somewhat predictably the topic of working out came up. They spent more time talking about yoga and TRX than about how heavy their deadlifts were. At some point Henry made a statement to the effect of "if I can't lift it ten times, I just don't bother". I contrast this to some Reddit conversations I've seen to the effect that 40+ lifters should continue to do 1RM tests weekly.

As I'm closing in on 40 and have a few injuries in the bag I'm rapidly closing in on the conclusion that yes, you can be a powerlifter at any age, however, it doesn't mean the same thing. As you get over 30 and more with each decade, 1 RMs should become increasingly infrequent. In your 20's you can max out weekly or even twice on two different lifts. Even in your 20s though, why? I mean, being the biggest and strongest is cool and there is some training value in hitting those big numbers, exposing your nervous and muscular systems to the most weight they have ever seen but to what end did I pull a quarter ton off the ground?

Post catastrophic injuries I found myself still hungry to pull those weights but increasingly doing the math of 6 months of more of pain and immobility (or surgery) versus adding 10 pounds to a number that most people I know can't really comprehend. As I've refined my view I've settles on a heavy triple as the most weight I should touch and even that, rarely. I meant that I sometimes had to leave some weight off the bar just to make sure I was safe which made me sad in the moment but I've never regretted and uninjured day.

So, when I see some internet discussion about "going heavy" past 40 my hackles raise a bit. As I press on those people I often ask after their regimen and maxes. I often get things like "my max is probably somewhere around XXXlbs". That gives me pause. You're advising other people to go heavy and max out but you can't tell me to the nearest tenth of pound how much you can lift? You are dangerous. When I talk to lifters who are actually doing the work though, I increasingly hear things like the Henry and Joe conversation of having set voluntary limitations and spending more time on mobility and capability and less time on some arbitrarily large number and it gives me hope.

So, why this long winded, pointless diatribe, just because I needed to process it a bit. I'm dealing with my own mental, physical and emotional states. Parts of me want to push, Push, PUSH while parts of me want to pull in the reins a bit to avoid injury. Parts of me say I need to get under some heavy weights and parts of me ask everyday "when are you going to get a regular yoga/pilates practice in place". When I was powerlifting I gave the push part of me all the room it wanted, when I was injured then I gave the cautious part of me all the control. I've been healthy now for a bit and I'm just trying to build a case to myself to continue down the partially restrained path. It's hard at times but it sure is nice not being in pain. 

constitution - I'm not talking about a document, I'm talking about a D&D stat.

This also ties to the Rogan and Rollins conversation but it's something that has been on my mind for over six months both in my personal life and looking at the political world. In D&D (and other things) there's the idea of Constitution which can be summarized as how much abuse can you take. It's how you determine hit points and resistance to things like disease and poison. I think it's a really overlooked stat in real life. Arguably, this is the stat of aerobic exercise but I think that's only half of it.

To me, constitution has physical and mental components. There is the aspect of running a marathon which probably gives you a CON of 16 (on a scale of 20) all by itself. But if two people run a marathon and one complains all throughout training, skips lots of days, is late to the starting line, walks across the finish line and the other makes it everyday, wakes up on time, does the run and holds to her goal pace, the latter has greater CON, even if her goal time is so slow that both people finish in the same time. There is a mental aspect to CON, the part that deals with a person's outlook, attitude and actions. I think this is neglected.

When I was a kid, especially in sports and Boy Scouts, a common behavior was picking on each other, it would be called bullying today. I'm not advocating for bullying, it's a dick move and not necessary but it serves as an object lesson. Who gets bullied more and more, the kid who whimpers and cries. Despite what popular media might tell you, fighting back is not how you deal with a bully, you deal with it by not giving a shit. That, it a high CON move in my book (yes, you can argue that I'm treading on WIS but I think that different). 

When I look at the US President, I think all of his stats are pretty low but the lowest is CON, especially the mental aspect of CON. High CON people don't need to go on Twitter to call out their enemies. I think though, that he is a reflection of what I see all around, I see a lot of low CON people. People who look for every excuse to break a diet, miss a workout, sit in front of the TV. Frequently they go further to complain about how someone else made them do these things (yep, I'm guilty of this too). I would argue that we, as a collective western world, at low CON and more, we don't like it when we see a high CON individual, we want him or her to "slow down", "just chill out" and so on. 

Now there are risks in this attitude, that high CON is demonstrated by not complaining, by doing despite pain and adversity, that high CON is a virtue, too much of this leads to bullying and to doing inadvisable things like training when injured. This is why WIS is important and it's own stat. CON should be the part of you that locks everything down and pushes you forward while WIS, more often than not, throttles you back. (ok, I didn't expect this to link to the above soapbox as much as it is). So, you can't just be a CON monster and expect to be a healthy, well balanced human being, but I worry that we're swinging too far the other way and I have no idea how to improve CON without some of the tools that I don't like and think are destructive, like bullying.

end rant, partial because that was most of it and partially because other things have emerged to consume my attention.

• Like 7

Really liked this post.  

I saw a definition for WIS, but what word does it stand for?  I'm thinking wisdom, but Wisconsin popped into my at first.  Is it wisdom?

Why when I see D&D do I always think S&M?  Probably a discussion for another post.  Or website.  Or a psychologist. lol

Current Challenge 

6 minutes ago, peelout said:

Really liked this post.  

I saw a definition for WIS, but what word does it stand for?  I'm thinking wisdom, but Wisconsin popped into my at first.  Is it wisdom?

Why when I see D&D do I always think S&M?  Probably a discussion for another post.  Or website.  Or a psychologist. lol

There are forums for the kinds of people who equate D&D=S&M, some are way right leaning and some are way left. they feature very different content.

WIS is wisdom. In D&D it's not used much which is kind of a shame. It's mostly used for healing and cleric spells. I ended up doing a bunch of thinking about the D&D stats one day a while back and spent a large chunk of that time thinking about how the ignored stats translate into life, I think I was rowing or during a jog or something. Here's about how it came out:

Strength - physical strength, your ability to pick up a and move a large percent of your bodyweight. interactions

• DEX - moving smoothly with a weight (not tripping while wearing a heavy back pack or carrying a box)
  • CON - applying strength over time (going all day carrying a backpack)
  • INT - How much does that thing way, what are my options for carrying/ lifting it
  • WIS - should I try to pick it up, do I have to pick it up or is there a better way
  • CHA - indirect, charisma goes up as you get more fit and able to do feats

Dexterity - covers slight of hand and nimbleness of feet. I also, in the real world, would tie it into the ability to craft things with your hands

• CON - keep doing a thing over time
  • INT - can I parkour over that thing, multiple card tricks
  • WIS - should I try to parkour over that thing (what might be waiting on the other side), should I try to steal that wallet
  • CHA - charisma goes up as you gain more fluidity and grace, charisma impacts ability to distract someone during slight of hand

Constitution - how much abuse you can take, how you react to said abuse

• INT - not a lot of interaction
  • WIS - when not to take the abuse, how to mitigate its effects
  • CHA - not a lot of interaction

Intelligence - knowing things

• WIS - being able to apply the things you know to solve problems
  • CHA - not a lot of interaction

Wisdom - the most underused stat, a lot of what makes up real world wisdom is embodied in Experience points in RPGs. All the lessons you've learned, the things you know to do and not to do. The word "should" is a dead give away that this is about Wisdom

• CHA - charisma enhances the application of wisdom to people 

Charisma - physical beauty as well as ability to get people to do what you want, it's a mishmash stat that really should probably be separated into two

More than you wanted to know but it's a thing I was thinking a while back

• Like 4

I liked how we used to have Stat points for our challenges. It was a good, fun, reminder to work on all aspects. Really liked your post about Constitution. This challenge I've been doing things like cold showers, and walking  in the cold with fewer layers than normal. I just felt  like I was complaining too often about things, and making excuses, and needed some reminders that being uncomfortable is not the worst thing in the world.

Did you read Steve's blog post about heroes being flawed? It addresses the issue of how many excuses we make,  and taking personal responsibility.

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/you-are-flawed-and-so-are-your-heroes/

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

1 hour ago, The Most Loathed said:

More than you wanted to know but it's a thing I was thinking a while back

Actually the whole thing was very helpful.  Can be used to consider balance which I'm always considering.  How to balance cardio, strength, flexibility, bodyfat %, and functional movement.

24 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Just wow. All the farther my brain got was WIS most certainly does not have anything to do with Wisconsin.

Wisconsin does not require me to have a boat sticker on a kayak or a license plate on a small utility trailer.  It's either a sign of Wis intelligence or IL stupidity.

13 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

This challenge I've been doing things like cold showers, and walking  in the cold with fewer layers than normal. I just felt  like I was complaining too often about things, and making excuses, and needed some reminders that being uncomfortable is not the worst thing in the world.

Did I miss something?  You are the second person taking cold showers (also DFG).  I need hot showers just to get my joints moving.

Current Challenge