Hey guys! Late to week zero, but I made it!

I want to maintain a pattern of going to the gym since I signed up last month. If all I'm paying for is my splashing around in their pools, then so be it. On the other hand, going after work is an option three times out of five. I just have to stay prepared.

I could've gone to a class this morning that wasn't Zumba, but didn't have the resolve to try. I had enough to go for the pool, though. I showed up at 9:10 and was told I needed to wait til 9:15 for the pool sanitation check to be complete. Used it to do warm ups and sit with my thoughts.

The lap pool was still off limits, but they'd put up lanes in the elaborate pool, so I did six laps (one froggy style, three breaststroke, one backstroke, and one I don't know what to call it) in a slightly longer lane, so it's probably close to the 400m @Everstorm guessed regarding my last bout of swimming.

I did do TGUs with their kettlebells not long ago, but my left shoulder has hated me since, so I'm not sure if I trust that right now. And I'm not really enjoying Zumba, but I don't think I should let myself give it up just because they don't use the classic rock I would want. I'll have to give this some thought. It'd be easier if my unreliable friend would actually join me, but I can't forget that @Sovalis is long-distance body-doubling with me, so maybe I can consider missing both sessions this week as my week zero freebie and just dive back in next week.

Oh geez, I just had a brilliant notion inspired by my mermaid decision and my "dive" pun.

What if Zumba is my dancing on knives? ? Both good and bad feelings about that label, but I think it's a solid way to assure myself I know Zumba has got quality problems, but also serve as a reminder that I have reasons I wanted to get back into it. If I challenge myself to visit the class consistently, I might find more opportunities for socializing with people, and if I'm not getting what I need I'll reevaluate at the end of the challenge 

Five weeks to dance on knives and splash in the water. If I involve music and singing would it be a siren challenge instead? 

Thanks for the support as I try to make the most effort I can afford. ?

Maerad

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 3

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89, 101112

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

I think that is a solid approach for sure! Following :D 

• Thanks 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Journey to the Mountain of Knowledge - Chapter One: A Pocketful of hope (current challenge)

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30 A Bold New Year   Rhovaniel forges herself anew 

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

2 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

I think that is a solid approach for sure! Following :D 

Thank you! So glad to have you!

15 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

Dancing on knives?  What is that reference? ?

? So I take it you haven't read Hans Christian Andersen's original story? Or it's been a while? I'll set the answer in a spoiler if you'd like to read the story instead. ?

Spoiler

The little mermaid sacrificed her tongue to have her tail split into two dainty human legs, but before doing so she was warned that every step she took would be like stepping on knives (a relatable experience considering how my feet ache every day). And yet despite the pain, every step she took was still so graceful that the prince (who had no clue she was in pain) asked her to dance at his wedding and she loved him so much she could not deny him even though he was marrying another.

15 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

Following for mermaid adventures!

?

I think I need to come up with something that fits the category of "Look at the Stuff, Isn't it Neat?" like enjoying things that are booked away throughout my house. ?

• Like 3

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

13 minutes ago, MaeradCase said:

it you haven't read Hans Christian Andersen's original story

No, I  have read a lot of Perrault's and Grimm's, but I guess not Anderson's originals.  I will have to correct that. 

18 minutes ago, MaeradCase said:

need to come up with something that fits the category of "Look at the Stuff, Isn't it Neat?" like enjoying things that are booked away throughout my house.

That would be so fun!

• Thanks 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

3 hours ago, Everstorm said:

No, I  have read a lot of Perrault's and Grimm's, but I guess not Anderson's originals.  I will have to correct that. 

I hope you enjoy it. It's very lovely. ♥️

3 hours ago, Everstorm said:

That would be so fun!

Showing off arts and crafts, maybe?

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Definitely showing off arts and crafts!! And D&D stuff! And ACNH stuff! ?

• Thanks 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

I think I need to come up with something that fits the category of "Look at the Stuff, Isn't it Neat?" like enjoying things that are booked away throughout my house. ?

oooh, I love this idea!

• Like 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Journey to the Mountain of Knowledge - Chapter One: A Pocketful of hope (current challenge)

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30 A Bold New Year   Rhovaniel forges herself anew 

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

9 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Definitely showing off arts and crafts!! And D&D stuff! And ACNH stuff! ?

❤️❤️❤️ I can do that!

Speaking of ACNH, I have torn down a lot of my island decor and the interior of my house because a local friend is allowing me to trash her island score by leaving my things sprawled EVERYWHERE across her island. lol

I spent two hours with her last night to move most of the furniture (last time I just had her learning recipes and adding everything to her catalogue, but this time I was trying to move the things I don't want to have to buy or acquire to make the next island).

We might be at it again tonight after I figure out which things I forgot to take over, which wallpapers and floorings are from Sahara, and which supplies I want to have on hand from the get go.

My new island will be starting pretty soon at this rate! ?

7 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

oooh, I love this idea!

Thanks! I'm open to how I'll interpret it, but maybe something I can take a picture of? ?? Yeaaahhh

Y'all wanna see my latest quilt chunk?

Spoiler

IMG_20240905_224446881.thumb.jpg.47e45c83401400a383ba5b0ee209e407.jpg

It's dragon clawwws ?

I had to reposition three pieces while assembling this chunk. I suspect that might be pretty standard problem for the remainder of the quilt because now that I've got the heavy contrast of the white background since I don't want my border lines to look screwy.

I had planned on ironing it last night to cut out the batting and backing, but Zemi's claws needed trimming, and then ACNH took precedence by invitation.

This morning was the first perfectly cool morning in over a week, and it felt wonderful. A lot of people were outside, and I'm considering being outdoors for a planned friendly phone call between getting off work and going home for lunch. Unless the sun makes it muggy or hot, in which case nah. ?

Hope you have a fun weekend ahead!

Maerad

• Like 4

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

14 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Happy Fun GIF by DINOSALLY

YES TO MERMAIDS!!

less so to dancing on knives.  Still cheering for you either way

Right? Doesn't sound pleasant, but I'm hoping to use it as mindful motivation. ?

12 hours ago, Laghail said:

?+?+?‍♀️?? I'm intrigued and following

Glad to have you. ?

Today's Look at this Stuff is in regard to the three books I purchased when Cid suggested wandering the book store after a lunch of poké bowls from a restaurant that had been recommended to him.

Spoiler

IMG_20240909_084237334.thumb.jpg.2bf4ecc74084e0dcc8eae31063b52710.jpg

We read all of Knight Owl before I tucked it under my arm. It's very Humblewood-esque. :3 And I adore the style of The Boy, the Mole, the Fox, and the Horse. Midnight Library sounded like something on my TBR list so I took a gamble. :)

I spent all of yesterday getting my new island situated, and beginning to bring over things from my friend's island. 

I'll be running CoS tonight. Hope they don't mind a church of vampires now that they've brought the wrong bones far too late. ?

Oh, and I'm training a new hire as of today. Too bad shark week just began. Things might get rough in my corner. ?

Have a good one!

Maerad

• Like 6

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Hope the sharks don’t make training the new recruit too difficult! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Laghail said:

Beautiful bookstore haul! A dear friend gave me the Boy/Mole/Fox/Horse book and I haven't gotten through it yet. Let me know what you think!

I figured I'd read a few pages. I found a lovely one to stop on this morning to contemplate.

Spoiler

IMG_20240909_084202419.thumb.jpg.ea4b2f50f8bb865e4c426eca2741c551.jpg

It's lovely ?

3 hours ago, Sovalis said:

Hope the sharks don’t make training the new recruit too difficult! 

I have been talking for the last three hours non-stop. She's absorbing it, too. I'm running out of energy, and worried about game night just a smidge. Maybe I should get some lemon juice from the store to soothe my throat. ?

• Like 4

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

I did go out to get lemon juice (and two single serving bottles of lemonade), and used it to keep my voice strain minimal. I talked a lot through the day, and was a little burned out by the time I got to the game table. Plus aggravated by my coworker. My friends chatted with me while I recuperated, and I admitted I didn't feel particularly ready for our session, but I had a brilliant idea.

Our player who sometimes can't make it couldn't play last night, and one of the things we tease is that in her absence we'd go back to Castle Ravenloft. Well, I suggested we skip any long RP scenes, and get out of Vallaki at 4x play speed. So we did bullet points of the stops they had to make in town, the interference that tried to get in their way (and was then sat upon by the slightly stuck giant elk), the gates they crashed down, and moments to use spells to make the scenes successful in unique way (see Jump cast on the giant elk to clear the raised drawbridge of Castle Ravenloft).

The best part? They ended up splitting the party. The two halflings and the construct (Pidlwick II) made it to the other side of a gate, but it held firm against the elk, so the other four (two players and two NPCs) crashed through the other gate and entered by breaking through the windows of the chapel. They started climbing the high tower, and the girls encountered the shadow demon in Rahadin's office. 

We'd had so many shenanigans that by the end of it I felt rejuvenated and satisfied. It's the best session we've had in a while. ?

Anyway, if you're wondering about Zumba, I was prepared to go. I packed a change of clothes for work, I wore my gym clothes to bed, and I even was awake before 6:30... But I woke up in the middle of the night with bad cramps, and I consulted myself on how fast any of my resources would be depleted when I've got a lot on my plate. So I resolved to do walking or a stair machine. 

I changed the litter box, took out the trash, realized the weather was perfect for walking, and so I walked around my block instead. Maybe for fifteen minutes? I'm gonna get cleaned up now. 

Hope you have a good day ahead. 

Maerad 

• Like 5

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

I'm proud of you for walking. ?

I took this morning off from the gym on my trainer's recommendation as the knee is still pretty sore. But I'll try to do something today to keep up with you. ?

Glad your session was so good! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

We'd had so many shenanigans that by the end of it I felt rejuvenated and satisfied. It's the best session we've had in a while. ?

Sounds like an excellent session! We are nearing the end of our CoS playthrough I think, so we'll be headed back to the castle soon too I think. It's gonna be fun :D Glad you had the evening it seems like you really needed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

11 hours ago, Sovalis said:

I'm proud of you for walking. ?

I took this morning off from the gym on my trainer's recommendation as the knee is still pretty sore. But I'll try to do something today to keep up with you. ?

Glad your session was so good! 

I'm glad to have read how she took your physical well-being very seriously and is redirecting your team effort into customized plans.

I'm looking forward to the missing player's reaction to starting with initiative in the castle with no context of how they got there or where the other four are. ?

7 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Sounds like an excellent session! We are nearing the end of our CoS playthrough I think, so we'll be headed back to the castle soon too I think. It's gonna be fun :D Glad you had the evening it seems like you really needed!

Definitely needed it. I don't know how long this campaign will go, but we're already a year in. ? I get a little burnt out, but the group is willing to relax and take days off when needed. Very considerate.

• Like 5

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Good afternoon!

Easy going day today at work. My trainee was put to lessons on the computer today since I was scheduled for a half day. I was able to journal and read without feeling awkward about another person next to me. ? We weren't busy at all. I did a third of normal transactions for a half-day, though that's likely because people assumed we'd be closed for 9/11. A fair assumption, and that probably means they'll be back in full force tomorrow.

Before work I had a significant errand - Zemi had to go to the vet so we could get help with their over-grooming. Zemi got antibiotics to relieve the skin conditions of their paw so it can heal up. I got a cute pic when they climbed back into their carrier in hopes it was time to go home.

Spoiler

IMG_20240911_083555820.thumb.jpg.2e577c01cb29d9457ee32c1eb73de0e2.jpg

I had a pretty easy going afternoon since getting home, trying to mend a pair of pants for Cid with a movie on in the background (Frozen II). The pants are like... 2/3 mended? This would be faster if I wasn't doing it by hand. ?

Probably playing Humblewood tonight? ?

Hope your day has gone smoothly!

Maerad 

• Like 5

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

19 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Zemi is looking super cute!

It sounds like your alternative to zumba was really lovely and relaxing. I’m a big fan of a nice walk too. 

? 

It was quite good. I didn't do all the weaving around I used to for maximizing the distance, but I also did something instead of doing nothing, which counts as a win in my book.

I didn't get up with enough energy or time to swim this morning (I agreed to come in early bc a co-worker's car broke down, and we had last minute change of schedule), but I brought my swimsuit so I could go after work. ? Don't know which of the pools will be open in the early evening, but I will show up at the gym regardless. ?

Last night we hung out, but played no games... Well, I had my switch, so I made some progress on my island (sold so many weeds to Leif, got a few achievements, and logged my first shooting stars). I nabbed my notes so that maybe I can write up the condensed form of what went on while our heroes had been in the bandit coalition fortress.

My trainee has her own drawer today, so I'm all over the place handling phones, being her sounding board, and helping the customers when they're coming in too fast. But she's still doing great, and I have faith that she'll keep improving. I want a nap, though. ?

Look at this Stuff:

Spoiler

My flower seeds that were supposed to be in full swing this year never got with the program, but I choose to enjoy the few blossoms I have gotten. Here's one I found yesterday:

IMG_20240911_144727191.thumb.jpg.0f266b8b7f58d0421efd78a3793cafbe.jpg

Hope you have something good in store!

Maerad

• Like 4

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

21 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

Easy going day today at work. My trainee was put to lessons on the computer today since I was scheduled for a half day. I was able to journal and read without feeling awkward about another person next to me. ? We weren't busy at all. I did a third of normal transactions for a half-day, though that's likely because people assumed we'd be closed for 9/11. A fair assumption, and that probably means they'll be back in full force tomorrow.

You're doing god's work tho. Training and customers is double stress. 

Spoiler

IMG_20240911_083555820.thumb.jpg.2e577c01cb29d9457ee32c1eb73de0e2.jpg

Don't look now but you seem to have a mini panther hiding in your plastic box! Fingers crossed Zemi is feeling better. 

32 minutes ago, MaeradCase said:

My trainee has her own drawer today, so I'm all over the place handling phones, being her sounding board, and helping the customers when they're coming in too fast. But she's still doing great, and I have faith that she'll keep improving. I want a nap, though. ?

Legit! 

32 minutes ago, MaeradCase said:

Look at this Stuff:

Hide contents

My flower seeds that were supposed to be in full swing this year never got with the program, but I choose to enjoy the few blossoms I have gotten. Here's one I found yesterday:

IMG_20240911_144727191.thumb.jpg.0f266b8b7f58d0421efd78a3793cafbe.jpg

Fantastic composition!

• Thanks 1

Level 38 [Raveling Bard]

17 hours ago, Laghail said:

Don't look now but you seem to have a mini panther hiding in your plastic box! Fingers crossed Zemi is feeling better. 

I've got to clean Zemi's paws this morning bc Cid and I have been putting it off. We also haven't used any of the anxiety medicine (even though we specifically got the liquid one which goes easier than the pills) bc Zemi has been super chill so far as we've seen since the trip to the vet. Guess I'll be seeing soon how the paws look.

17 hours ago, Laghail said:

You're doing god's work tho. Training and customers is double stress. 

Legit! 

Fantastic composition!

Training is not my favorite thing in the world, but I have the satisfaction of knowing both tellers at my branch will have been trained by me. They're both at their first job, but they're treating it with the commitment to good customer service that I don't see in the other tellers I've worked with at other branches. I'm proud of both of them.

I had a meltdown last night from accumulating troubles on top of the hormones and exhaustion. I couldn't clock out properly, but I managed to go to the gym instead of straight home... The gym was not open. ? They had a sign up that they'd been closed the last two days for cleaning. ?

Well, I tried calling my mom, and got VM. ? I drove toward home, and decided to get bell pepper and pineapple for my leftover stir fry. Went to Target because it was the least out of the way... They had no pineapple. I double checked all the aisles just to be sure, and stared at the fruits cups a solid five minutes trying to will pineapple into existence.

I gave up, bought the bell pepper, and drove on emotional fumes to WM for only pineapple. I used residual willpower to blind myself to the comfort foods that were poised to snare me.,, Likewise to drive straight home, stopping for no food.

When I got home, I asked Cid to hold me for a bit, and when I was at least centered on my body, I took a shower, only to be interrupted by my mom returning my call. The shower sounded loud, so I postponed it until after. So I talked with my mom about how things are going for her, then I took my shower which restored me enough that I could prep the bell pepper, a little bit of onion I had in the fridge, and a carrot. The veggies started cooking, I made rice, I warmed up the leftovers and added in the pineapple and some cashews from our mixed nuts. Overall, it tasted very good. 

I played ACNH, and my Resident Services are now upgraded to a building, and I was able to upgrade my inventory to hold 40 items, so now I can bring my stuff over from my friend's island more efficiently the next time she and I play.

Just got off a very reassuring phone call with my friend. I told her about yesterday's turmoil, too, and got words of encouragement. ? My heart is full, and it's time for breakfast so my tummy is about to be full, too. I may be tired, but today is lovely and I will cherish that.

Thanks for being here.

Maerad 

• Like 4

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

30 minutes ago, MaeradCase said:

Training is not my favorite thing in the world, but I have the satisfaction of knowing both tellers at my branch will have been trained by me. They're both at their first job, but they're treating it with the commitment to good customer service that I don't see in the other tellers I've worked with at other branches. I'm proud of both of them.

You make me miss retail banking. Sigh

• Haha 1

Level 38 [Raveling Bard]