Forums are back in action! ×

You know you're a nerd when...

ThePuma

OH! I just remembered!

You have the Final Fantasy Victory Ringtone and play it whenever you achieve some victory.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

The correct response to that question is: "Thank you, I'd do the same for you, honey."

Finally someone understands. That is all I'm asking for in a relationship. Though, I did have another ex that I told "If you turned into a zombie, I'd keep you tied up in the basement. Don't worry, I'll remember to feed you with random passersby." Oddly enough, this wasn't a random statement from me and was part of a whole conversation we were having...

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Following your example, Lead, I just ask my new Korean 'friend' - "If I was a zombie, would you let me eat your brains?". He said "yeah, sure. Then I could be a zombie too and we could be zombies together". His only request was that we try to stay a bit cleaner than regular zombies.

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

Hmm, I told my friend that if we were in a zombie apocalypse, I would send him out as bait in a heartbeat.

He thought I was joking.

They always think that. That's what tranquilizers are for. Drug them and they can't fight back and they'll wake up chained to a post by a zombie death trap.

Level 1 Woodwose

You know you're a nerd when...

U hang w/ Orion Slave Girls!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4319[/ATTACH]

I'm the bald Klingon on the right.

post-5210-13567244300789_thumb.jpg

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

...you showed up opening day of Star Trek First Contact in Costume.

...the cast at Star Trek the Experience gave you a pip for your uniform while you were on the ride.

...your favorite item to wear around the house is a Spock Bathrobe

just a few off the top of my head

...you can explain to someone else the difference between dieselpunk and steampunk.

You have heard of the following:

• Steampunk
  • Teslapunk
  • Dieselpunk
  • Atompunk
  • Cyberpunk
  • Genepunk (a.k.a. Biopunk)
  • Nanopunk

And can describe each of them in detail and give examples for most.

Level 1 Woodwose

It's what causes the smog, right?

I'm a little afraid to answer in fear that leadchipmunk will correct me with his (her? Sorry!) superior knowledge! That being said, though, I'm going to try to answer anyway. Dieselpunk, as I understand it, is related to the Depression and WW2 eras. Think The Rocketeer or Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. Steampunk, however, is related to the Victorian era. I once heard steampunk described as "a world where Newtonian physics are king."

Disclaimer: I'm more a dabbler than a hardcore fan. I only know the difference because I've researched it for sake of accuracy in costume details.

I'm a little afraid to answer in fear that leadchipmunk will correct me with his (her? Sorry!) superior knowledge! That being said, though, I'm going to try to answer anyway. Dieselpunk, as I understand it, is related to the Depression and WW2 eras. Think The Rocketeer or Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. Steampunk, however, is related to the Victorian era. I once heard steampunk described as "a world where Newtonian physics are king."

Disclaimer: I'm more a dabbler than a hardcore fan. I only know the difference because I've researched it for sake of accuracy in costume details.

His is correct. Haha.

You are basically right. The era isn't exactly needed, it just has to be mostly steam-powered or gasoline-powered technology for it to be steampunk or dieselpunk respectively.

But era-wise, steampunk is usually based on Victorian times (think of Jules Verne's works), dieselpunk is commonly 1930s U.S. Depression through 1950's art deco eras (Think of the Fallout video game series for the art deco stylings).

But that is not always the case. I recently read the Leviathan series and it features both steampunk and genepunk (with a bit of teslapunk) but is based in the World War I era.

Level 1 Woodwose

...you look at celebrity news and don't recognize most of the people you see in the stories, but you can rattle off the names of the casts of half-a-dozen sci/fi and fantasy shows & movies--including incredibly obscure ones!

...You get your pix w/ 2 Chancellors of the Klingon Empire!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4341[/ATTACH]

post-5210-13567244309665_thumb.jpg

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

...you look at celebrity news and don't recognize most of the people you see in the stories, but you can rattle off the names of the casts of half-a-dozen sci/fi and fantasy shows & movies--including incredibly obscure ones!

and these are not the celebrities that matter??????? (the sci/fi ones of course)

Talked about this yesterday on here xD

..when you're trying to teach someone how to play a game and they end up being so completely bad at it that you just want to take the controller back and do it yourself.

Also, having your morning alarm pick a random song to wake you up, and you wake up to the monster music from Amnesia *twitch*

[table=width: 350, align: center]

Level 1

475 / 1535 exp

Losing weight, getting fit and finding happiness...

...one quest at a time

[/table]

...your non-nerd friends come to you with questions like "hey what's steampunk? you know about that stuff right?"

And you proceed to turn to your bookshelf and hand the a book called "The Steampunk Bible". Got it for Christmas cause I think Steampunk is interesting, though I don't participate. It's a good intro.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Oh man Steampunk!!! I still don't get it!! Even though someone explained it to me... now I feel stupid.

But all the steampunk art I've seen, it's pretty darn cool!!

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

Archived