Forums are back in action! ×

Motivational and Inspirational Quotes

“Down the road, in a gym far away
A young man was heard to say
“No matter what I do, my legs won’t grow!â€
He tried leg extensions, leg curls, leg presses too
Trying to cheat, these sissy workouts he’d do!
From the corner of the gym where the big guys train
Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain
Where the big iron rides high, and threatens lives
Where the noise is made with big forty-fives
A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees
A very big man with legs like trees
Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack,
Chalked his hands and monstrous back
Said, “Boy, stop lying and don’t say you’ve forgotten!
Trouble with you is you ain’t been SQUATTIN’!â€

- Jeff “MADDOG†Madden

• Like 4

Henry V gave lots of great motivational speeches. I found this one to be really inspiring... but maybe it's just me. I really like Shakespeare, so...

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;

Or close the wall up with our English dead.

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man

As modest stillness and humility:

But when the blast of war blows in our ears,

Then imitate the action of the tiger;

Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,

Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage;

Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;

Let pry through the portage of the head

Like the brass cannon; let the brow o'erwhelm it

As fearfully as doth a galled rock

O'erhang and jutty his confounded base,

Swill'd with the wild and wasteful ocean.

Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,

Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit

To his full height. On, on, you noblest English.

Whose blood is fet from fathers of war-proof!

Fathers that, like so many Alexanders,

Have in these parts from morn till even fought

And sheathed their swords for lack of argument:

Dishonour not your mothers; now attest

That those whom you call'd fathers did beget you.

Be copy now to men of grosser blood,

And teach them how to war. And you, good yeoman,

Whose limbs were made in England, show us here

The mettle of your pasture; let us swear

That you are worth your breeding; which I doubt not;

For there is none of you so mean and base,

That hath not noble lustre in your eyes.

I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit, and upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Henry V - Act 3, Scene 1

• Like 1

As long as we're doing Shakespeare:

By my troth, I care not. A man can die but once. We owe God
a death. I’ll ne'er bear a base mind. An ’t be my destiny, so;
an ’t be not, so. No man’s too good to serve ’s prince, and let
it go which way it will, he that dies this year is quit for the
next.

Henry IV Part 2, Act 3, Scene 2

and of course:
WESTMORELAND
O that we now had here
But one ten thousand of those men in England
That do no work to-day!
KING HENRY V
What's he that wishes so?
My cousin Westmoreland? No, my fair cousin:
If we are mark'd to die, we are enow
To do our country loss; and if to live,
The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,
Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
It yearns me not if men my garments wear;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires:
But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.
No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England:
God's peace! I would not lose so great an honour
As one man more, methinks, would share from me
For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!
Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,
That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made
And crowns for convoy put into his purse:
We would not die in that man's company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.
This day is called the feast of Crispian:
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian:'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars.
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispin's day.'
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember with advantages
What feats he did that day: then shall our names.
Familiar in his mouth as household words
Harry the king, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester,
Be in their flowing cups freshly remember'd.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

Henry V, Act 4, scene 3
  • Like 2

The Paradoxical Commandments by Dr. Kent M. Keith

People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway.

If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives. Do good anyway.

If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies. Succeed anyway.

The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable. Be honest and frank anyway.

The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds. Think big anyway.

People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs. Fight for a few underdogs anyway.

What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight. Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them. Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth. Give the world the best you have anyway.

(found from reddit, http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1tqyzd/whats_the_most_inspiring_quote_you_know/

MezzyIsMezzy's comment)

• Like 3

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Spread love and understanding. Use force if necessary." - Leon Trotsky

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

"If you do strange things, strange things will happen!"

"That's it! Now go make something beautiful." -Jake Parker

"Everything that is not saved will be lost. "

-Nintendo Wii

"Accept change"
- Microsoft Word

"Wait some time and then reconnect"
- Canon webcam

"Keep cool, never freeze"
- Mayonnaise jar

"For most work, a gentle touch is best"
- Dremel

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
- Airplane safety card

Found from Reddit

• Like 7

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Some D&D DM somewhere.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I didn't check through the recent posts to see if this was posted earlier (sorry if it was) but this is something that has stuck with me since the first time I heard it.

An old Cherokee teaching his grandson about life:

"A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy, "A terrible fight between two wolves.

One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

One is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith.

This same fight is also going on inside you - and inside every other person."
The grandson thought about it then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?"
The Grandfather replied, "The one you feed."

Everytime I face a challenge I remember that last line "The one you feed."

• Like 7

"I can't un-know the monsters, but I can become the person who would have saved thirteen-year-old me." - Wesley King

That is the person I'm trying to become, someday. And then maybe I'll be able to save a few thirteen-year-old mes.

• Like 1

POLARIS - LEVEL 4 AVATAR WARRIOR/MONK

(currently visiting assassins) | Challenge Thread

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."

If has been posted before, apologies.

But the last line is wonderful, though it needs some building-up-to first (emphasis mine):

"To laugh often and much;

To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;

To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;

To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;

To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition;

To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded. "

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are only as sick as your deepest, darkest secret." -Donna A. Favors

Demotivational and dark, but kind of comforting.

• Like 2

For you, maybe.

Yup. *nods* Reading the "what is your deepest, darkest secret?"-threads

in reddit made me pray for the first time in a long time.

For a reference, just this http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/2953k3/what_is_your_deepest_darkest_secret/

I do not quite know what your triggers or tresholds are, but that needs a warning sign.

It's not about hugs and cuddles.

Though secrets are different for everybody,

I do not have it quite so bad, after all...

To carry some of those day-in and day-out.... :(

My prayers go out to them.

• Like 1

For you, maybe.

Yup. *nods* Reading the "what is your deepest, darkest secret?"-threads

in reddit made me pray for the first time in a long time.

For a reference, just this http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/2953k3/what_is_your_deepest_darkest_secret/

I do not quite know what your triggers or tresholds are, but that needs a warning sign.

It's not about hugs and cuddles.

Though secrets are different for everybody,

I do not have it quite so bad, after all...

To carry some of those day-in and day-out.... :(

My prayers go out to them.

I think I understand the sentiment behind the quote. For people who suffer from low self esteem, or worse self-hatred, this can be an uplifting thought.

"So you think you're the scum of the earth?"

"Yes"

"What's the worst thing about you."

"Well, its X"

"That's not so bad, sounds like you're not as bad as you thought."

It's definitely not the place to end up, but it can be a good starting point. 

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

So once upon a time, at bandcamp...

AFI 91-101

Do not use nuclear weapons to troubleshoot faults, that is, to confirm a fault exists, to

aid in fault isolation, or to verify fault correction.

No kidding that is a real rule.  So you know, that at some point in time, someone was doing something so epic they used a live nuke to troubleshoot a fault.  And that, is the stuff of myth and legend.  I find it both terrifying and deeply motivational.  Sometimes, you just have to go wildly beyond the pale in your pursuit of what you believe in.  The Demon Core is along those lines as well.  How far will you go to be awesome?

- Murphy's Roommate

• Like 1

It's still a radical quote, and I dig it! But

I really try not to think about the amount of nuclear arsenal in the world today.

Or that if they exist, there always is a possibility they will get used.

So once upon a time, at bandcamp...

AFI 91-101

Do not use nuclear weapons to troubleshoot faults, that is, to confirm a fault exists, to

aid in fault isolation, or to verify fault correction.

No kidding that is a real rule.  So you know, that at some point in time, someone was doing something so epic they used a live nuke to troubleshoot a fault.  And that, is the stuff of myth and legend.  I find it both terrifying and deeply motivational.  Sometimes, you just have to go wildly beyond the pale in your pursuit of what you believe in.  The Demon Core is along those lines as well.  How far will you go to be awesome?

- Murphy's Roommate

The guy who made that rule a requirement probably said "Hey guys, watch this!"

I can also imagine someone riding a bomb like the guy in Armageddon, and his CO saying "Get off.  The Thermonuclear.  Device."  Or maybe Slim Pickens in Dr Strangelove.....

• Like 1

It's still a radical quote, and I dig it! But

I really try not to think about the amount of nuclear arsenal in the world today.

Or that if they exist, there always is a possibility they will get used.

To make the thought even better for you.... When Little Boy, the bomb dropped on Hiroshima, detonated... only about 1.4%  of the entire fissionable material, about 0.7 grams, exploded.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)