Forums are back in action! ×

Yeah, any sauteing is aesthetic, not functional. Maybe a flavor difference, depending on the ingredients in question. But if the goal is a fast meal on the table, it's unnecessary. Just make sure the meat chunks aren't huge. You can't do a chicken thigh in four minutes. (Maybe ten, I dunno.) I'd stick the rice in the bottom, in the water, but you can experiment with it.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

1 minute ago, Kishi said:

It just seemed so intensive the way I was doing it and I couldn't understand why everyone was saying it was so much more convenient...

Yeah, it's so unlike using a stove or oven and it is much more versatile. Its one downside is it doesn't do caramelization or roasting better, what with the moist heat. You can saute and make it happen somewhat, but it's just a glorified standalone burner.

1 minute ago, sarakingdom said:

Yeah, any sauteing is aesthetic, not functional. Maybe a flavor difference, depending on the ingredients in question. But if the goal is a fast meal on the table, it's unnecessary. Just make sure the meat chunks aren't huge. You can't do a chicken thigh in four minutes. (Maybe ten, I dunno.) I'd stick the rice in the bottom, in the water, but you can experiment with it.

A boneless chicken thigh should be good to go in 15. Spacing is important, also dependent on how much you alter the meat from just being a rolled slab of poultry. Bone-in adds 10 IMO. I haven't experimented to how little it takes, I kinda take a sledgehammer method to cuts of meat fist-sized or larger because the lazy is strong with this one.

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

32 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

28 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Yeah, it's so unlike using a stove or oven and it is much more versatile. Its one downside is it doesn't do caramelization or roasting better, what with the moist heat. You can saute and make it happen somewhat, but it's just a glorified standalone burner.

Well, yeah, and I mean, my thing is just using ground meat because it's more convenient and requires less work. I can spice it enough different ways to keep it interesting regardless, so that's nothing to worry about. I'm just paranoid about getting all of it, that's all.

It's also really good at cutting the cooking time of long cooking things down, so a two hour chili or stew in half an hour, a big roast or pulled pork in 40 minutes, that kinda thing.

Last night I put in a four pound roast before I went out to a meeting, so it'd cook without me waiting for it. I came back hours later than planned, and it shut down on schedule and kept it hot for me. I chopped up a head of cabbage and put it in for four minutes, which I spent cutting up the roast into dinner, lunch, and leftovers. Total time spent actively preparing food in the kitchen: under five minutes. Result: a magic hot dinner when I got home late plus tons of leftovers for lunches.

• Like 3

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

8 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Well, yeah, and I mean, my thing is just using ground meat because it's more convenient and requires less work. I can spice it enough different ways to keep it interesting regardless, so that's nothing to worry about. I'm just paranoid about getting all of it, that's all.

Sure, it's understandable. If you feel the need to bust the meat down into much smaller pieces and you have the time, there's no harm in it.

7 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

It's also really good at cutting the cooking time of long cooking things down, so a two hour chili or stew in half an hour, a big roast or pulled pork in 40 minutes, that kinda thing.

Last night I put in a four pound roast before I went out to a meeting, so it'd cook without me waiting for it. I came back hours later than planned, and it shut down on schedule and kept it hot for me. I chopped up a head of cabbage and put it in for four minutes, which I spent cutting up the roast into dinner, lunch, and leftovers. Total time spent actively preparing food in the kitchen: under five minutes. Result: a magic hot dinner when I got home late plus tons of leftovers for lunches.

Story of my life aka the only way we are able to function. I don't know how to live without it.

• Like 1

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

7 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Story of my life aka the only way we are able to function. I don't know how to live without it.

Being able to walk away and safely come back any time I like without thinking about it or interrupting what I'm doing, even if that's hours later than expected, is a huge benefit. My robot makes my food for me, and I can go run errands or do whatever. All I have to do is load it.

(Also, I have five big jars of stock and broth in my fridge. Mostly stock from bones and veg trimmings I saved, but also a jar of broth from the roast. I need to make some soup. It makes stock/bone broth in an hour.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sarakingdom said:

Being able to walk away and safely come back any time I like without thinking about it or interrupting what I'm doing, even if that's hours later than expected, is a huge benefit. My robot makes my food for me, and I can go run errands or do whatever. All I have to do is load it.

(Also, I have five big jars of stock and broth in my fridge. Mostly stock from bones and veg trimmings I saved, but also a jar of broth from the roast. I need to make some soup. It makes stock/bone broth in an hour.)

Oh yeah, you can buy a rotisserie chicken, pick it clean, then dump the carcass in the pot with water (and whatever else you want to flavor it with). Bone broth doesn't happen more easily. Same with ham hocks, except I'll pull the meat off afterward when it's nice and pull-apart tender. The best base for soup. I'm not as prepared as you, though, and make it as needed. That's what Sundays are for I guess, lol.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Urgan said:

I'm not as prepared as you, though, and make it as needed. That's what Sundays are for I guess, lol.

I make it whenever I need to clear the saved stuff out of the freezer. I freeze it all as I go, and then do a big pot. It's a double win, I also don't have to take out the trash as often. :-)

Actually surprisingly doable on a weeknight. This week I put it in when I took dinner out, let it cook for an hour while I ate and did stuff, and strained it into jars before I did dishes. (I did let the jars cool overnight; it was super hot.)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I make it whenever I need to clear the saved stuff out of the freezer. I freeze it all as I go, and then do a big pot. It's a double win, I also don't have to take out the trash as often. :-)

Actually surprisingly doable on a weeknight. This week I put it in when I took dinner out, let it cook for an hour while I ate and did stuff, and strained it into jars before I did dishes. (I did let the jars cool overnight; it was super hot.)

Sadly I have four hours total at best per weeknight, but someone with a better commute/job situation could surely manage it. Pressure cooker can get liquid molten hot super quick for sure. Gets us every week when we're really hungry and impatient lol.

Friday's plans wound up changing. I had thought that we would be getting together at a coffeehouse, but they had decided to go check out a bar with someone who was shy at the prospect of hanging with someone they didn't know. Since I didn't want to make them uncomfortable, I decided to go ahead and leave off, especially since I'd been skipping out on Kali for a while and I was really feeling the need to go back. Kali, for its part, wound up being really good. We spent a lot of time working on flow and on barehanded applications. Some parts I caught, and some parts I didn't, but I managed to distinguish myself as being fluid and not having to break my movement up into segments, which impressed Manong and the other student. Good for my ego, that.

Afterward, I decided to take the plunge and cook everything in my IP like I'd heard I could.

Whilst dinner cooked, I played video games, studied a foreign language, and washed my dishes. And when the IP was done... dinner was completely cooked. Frozen veggies and all.

giphy.gif

So, uh, yeah. Definitely feel that feeling of having been unleashed, or something. I'll probably want to break up the meat next time and maybe also add a bit more water to cook the rice more thoroughly but on the whole I'm definitely impressed.

Saturday, I spent a good part of the day with the folks, helping them lift heavy things. I got most of my stuff out of the storage unit, but it turns out that the storage I have at this apartment is unlocked and exposed outside; this leads me to believe that storing this stuff outside is a Bad Idea, so I'm keeping it all in my car as I go through it and find what I want to keep and what I want to get rid of. I got my hands on one of their space heaters, which has helped immensely; the place is now downright cozy, except for the kitchen. But that's okay.

Went to the new gym that's close by, but it turns out that their bag set up really isn't that great. They have multiple bags, but their rig is too small, so you end up hanging the thing but it settles on the ground and really doesn't move in the way that I need it to to practice what I want to practice.

Still, this is no excuse to be hasty. The new gym has multiple locations, and I have access to all of them for one flat fee. I also have multiple locations of the old gym to check as well, so now I get to explore and see what I can find. I'm actually kind of stoked about that.

Anyway, today's docket is strength and power work and core. I took a look at GB's curriculum again and was surprised to find that Dips are actually a progression - as part of the hollow back press. And considering that so much of the rest of my movement practice is wrapped up in GB again, well, it kind of seems silly not to let this back in.

Aaah, wow. So, yeah, I've been shaking my head at myself a lot today. But I think this is going to work. I really do. I've been struggling to figure out with dips whether I wanted to go ahead and just focus on weighting them or if I wanted to go for harder and harder versions of the move. I kind of feel like this answers that question. And doing squats and deads as I have been - cluster-setting myself into the ground - really seems to work with that. Sisson's original point was that clustering was really good for the lower body; he said that a 'functional' approach to upper body was warranted which I took to mean clustering upper body movements. But maybe that's not really necessary.

So, yeah. This is where I am and this is what I will be doing going forward. For reals. Honest.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Kishi said:

Afterward, I decided to take the plunge and cook everything in my IP like I'd heard I could.

Whilst dinner cooked, I played video games, studied a foreign language, and washed my dishes. And when the IP was done... dinner was completely cooked. Frozen veggies and all.

So, uh, yeah. Definitely feel that feeling of having been unleashed, or something. I'll probably want to break up the meat next time and maybe also add a bit more water to cook the rice more thoroughly but on the whole I'm definitely impressed.

b1f.gif

Sure, it's cutting corners versus browning things nicely and then cooking, but not every day is gonna be carefully prepared meals.  Some days it's all about getting a reasonable meal into the food hole without spending a lot of food prep time.  I have other things to do after work.  Corners are gonna get cut.

I find rice really hard in the IP, for some reason. It looks like all the recipes say to use the natural release for at least ten minutes, and I'm rarely that patient, which may be my problem.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Sure, it's cutting corners versus browning things nicely and then cooking, but not every day is gonna be carefully prepared meals.  Some days it's all about getting a reasonable meal into the food hole without spending a lot of food prep time.  I have other things to do after work.  Corners are gonna get cut.

Well, and in my case, it's a logistics problem too. I don't have either the space or the appliances to reasonably support high-quality prep day in and day out. Approaching this with those corners already ground down, it seems reasonable to cut a couple more to fit what I have to work with.

12 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I find rice really hard in the IP, for some reason. It looks like all the recipes say to use the natural release for at least ten minutes, and I'm rarely that patient, which may be my problem.

IDK. Last time I tried it, I upped my water ratio just a touch more to account for steam and pressure, and that seems to have done the trick. Even without the natural release. But maybe that's just a me thing. /shrug

So remember what I said about the old gym having multiple locations? It turns out, it's got a place just right down the road from the dojo. It doesn't have as many lifting racks, but it's got a bunch of things for hitting, and that makes me very, very happy. I would prefer heavier bags than what they have, but there are a couple of other locations in about the same range of distance that might just have what I'm looking for, and while it would cost more in terms of membership, it'd still be cheaper than what I'm paying now for a couple of different gyms. So. Have to get that managed.

Training on Super Bowl Sunday was a freaking surreal experience. Place was practically empty, and it felt weird to be doing my thing in a new space where I don't normally do it. But Sunday, all in all, was just a weird-feeling day. I couldn't quite put my finger on it until the end, but I think I'm just really unaccustomed to having a day that's totally to myself and without any obligations to anyone else. Of course, a good part of that is the fact that I'm living alone now and not having to put on a face for people, something that as an Ambivert I have a certain degree of practice in.

I think this might have been what @Urgan and @Mistr were talking about. Weird. I'll cope, though. :)

Sunday

Warmed Up

Push Ups: 3x3

Integrated Mobility: Done

Deadlifts:

1x5x45

1x5x65

1x5x95

1x5x135

1x3x155

3x5x185

Hollow Body Squat Thrusts: 14 EMOM for 5 minutes.

Tuck ups: 3x3

Dumbbell Lat Raise: 1x9x20

Cooled down on the Dreadmill for 15 minutes because additional stretching didn't feel right to me.

Everything felt just right as far as being the right amount of exertion. All the same, though, I really hope that nobody needs me for moving next weekend or anything. I'd really like to get back to my regularly scheduled program.

Ooh, and had another first milestone with the IP - burned my first meal. :D It turns out, spreading the meat was really a bad idea - caused the heat to dissipate too much. Had a bunch of scorched remnants and thought I was done for, but then thought, "Wait a minute. What would Urgan and @sarakingdom do?" So I looked up some cleaning vids on Youtube, put in a few tbsps. of baking soda and a few cups of water, and pressure-cooked the burn off.

This was insanely satisfying, and now I've learned a new lesson as far as cooking is concerned. :)

• Like 4
13 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

3 minutes ago, Kishi said:

IDK. Last time I tried it, I upped my water ratio just a touch more to account for steam and pressure, and that seems to have done the trick. Even without the natural release. But maybe that's just a me thing. /shrug

Disclaimer: My pressure cooker is not an IP

I don't bother with natural pressure release. 10 minutes and done. I won't say it's never gone down before I bothered to get to it, but ya know. I just open the lid and let the steam vent that way while I'm messing with something else.

5 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Training on Super Bowl Sunday was a freaking surreal experience. Place was practically empty, and it felt weird to be doing my thing in a new space where I don't normally do it. But Sunday, all in all, was just a weird-feeling day. I couldn't quite put my finger on it until the end, but I think I'm just really unaccustomed to having a day that's totally to myself and without any obligations to anyone else. Of course, a good part of that is the fact that I'm living alone now and not having to put on a face for people, something that as an Ambivert I have a certain degree of practice in.

I think this might have been what @Urgan and @Mistr were talking about. Weird. I'll cope, though. :)

Yeah you'll adjust just fine, it's just this kinda creepy impostor/out-of-place feeling of being alone longer than you're used to and it may take a little while to shake it, but you will. Standard new home stuff. Feelings are weird.

7 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Ooh, and had another first milestone with the IP - burned my first meal. :D It turns out, spreading the meat was really a bad idea - caused the heat to dissipate too much. Had a bunch of scorched remnants and thought I was done for, but then thought, "Wait a minute. What would Urgan and @sarakingdom do?" So I looked up some cleaning vids on Youtube, put in a few tbsps. of baking soda and a few cups of water, and pressure-cooked the burn off.

This was insanely satisfying, and now I've learned a new lesson as far as cooking is concerned. :)

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Urgan said:

Yeah you'll adjust just fine, it's just this kinda creepy impostor/out-of-place feeling of being alone longer than you're used to and it may take a little while to shake it, but you will. Standard new home stuff. Feelings are weird.

Yeah, I think you're right. I'm used to home being this cozy place that's loud and filled with people and animals and responsibilities. Now it's cozy and quiet. So weird. But I think I'd like to get used to it. :)

2 hours ago, Urgan said:

giphy.gif

So, true story, I actually worry about this every single time I go to depressurize the IP. Even after all the steam is gone. And shoot, even before.

Thankfully, it hasn't been a problem yet. :)

2 hours ago, Kishi said:

Yeah, I think you're right. I'm used to home being this cozy place that's loud and filled with people and animals and responsibilities. Now it's cozy and quiet. So weird. But I think I'd like to get used to it. :)

Yay for having a cozy, quiet space all your own! In a few weeks you'll wonder how you ever managed to cope with all that noise and commotion.

2 hours ago, Kishi said:

So, true story, I actually worry about this every single time I go to depressurize the IP. Even after all the steam is gone. And shoot, even before.

Thankfully, it hasn't been a problem yet. :)

I worried about that every time I used a pressure cooker. Seems reasonable to me.

I agree with @sarakingdom and @Urgan about setting up food ahead of time and batch cooking. You can save a lot of money by buying protein on sale and prepping it for later meals. Either cook it ahead of time so you can throw it into a quick meal or chop it into small pieces/debone it/whatever and freeze in a single layer in a bag so you can just throw it in your IP. You can fit a lot of single-serving bags of food in a small apartment freezer. Make sure you label the bags with the contents and date. Mystery food is not what you want when you are tired and hungry.

Veggies tend to taste better and be cheaper fresh. Like cooking protein, you can save money by buying them when the price is good and doing the prep yourself. Frozen organic veggies taste noticeably better than cheap conventional frozen veggies. The big win with frozen veggies is saving time on peeling and chopping. You can just throw them in the IP or microwave and they will be done in 3-5 minutes. Put some sauce on them and the quality does not matter much.

Another nice thing you can do is set up oatmeal to cook overnight. You can use the crockpot function if you want to avoid pressure cooking while you sleep. Having hot cereal waiting for you is lovely on a cold morning. You will need to experiment with the amount of water to use to get it the right consistency. Cooked oatmeal reheats well in the microwave with the addition of a little milk. Dumbledore batch cooks oatmeal most weeks.

• Like 2

Level 80  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

20 hours ago, Mistr said:

I agree with @sarakingdom and @Urgan about setting up food ahead of time and batch cooking. You can save a lot of money by buying protein on sale and prepping it for later meals. Either cook it ahead of time so you can throw it into a quick meal or chop it into small pieces/debone it/whatever and freeze in a single layer in a bag so you can just throw it in your IP. You can fit a lot of single-serving bags of food in a small apartment freezer. Make sure you label the bags with the contents and date. Mystery food is not what you want when you are tired and hungry.

Well, like I said, I tend to stick to ground stuff because it's traditionally been easier to cook and figure macros. I'm already figuring on doing some prep work on Sundays for breakfast - do up some meat, get it cooked, then portion it out for the week. Lunch at this point involves a little too much freshness of ingredients to pull that trick, but even so. Breakfast!

Veggies tend to taste better and be cheaper fresh. Like cooking protein, you can save money by buying them when the price is good and doing the prep yourself. Frozen organic veggies taste noticeably better than cheap conventional frozen veggies. The big win with frozen veggies is saving time on peeling and chopping. You can just throw them in the IP or microwave and they will be done in 3-5 minutes. Put some sauce on them and the quality does not matter much.

Not a big fan of fresh veggies since they tend to spend a lot of time aging between when they were harvested and when they're available. Allegedly, frozen veggies are done and preserved a lot closer to harvesting date, resulting in a fresher product once cooked. They also tend to be cheaper both in terms of time and monetary cost, so it's always struck me as being the biggest win.

Another nice thing you can do is set up oatmeal to cook overnight. You can use the crockpot function if you want to avoid pressure cooking while you sleep. Having hot cereal waiting for you is lovely on a cold morning. You will need to experiment with the amount of water to use to get it the right consistency. Cooked oatmeal reheats well in the microwave with the addition of a little milk. Dumbledore batch cooks oatmeal most weeks.

That could be fun! I've liked oatmeal a lot in the past, but my body doesn't seem to care for it all that much. Such sadness! But yeah, that crockpot functionality is really tempting and if I could just get myself to think beyond macros I could probably do a lot of interesting things with it.

Monday was a day. No work beyond stretching. Felt good.

Most notable thing that happened was that a friend of mine is not in the Rebellion wanted very much to talk about it. So, talk we did. I think she'd wind up being an Assassin if she wound up doing anything. I don't know if she'll actually follow through - her Why isn't big enough based on what I was able to suss out in conversation, but I passed some resources her way and who knows? Maybe something about it will click. But it's always fascinating to me whenever I get the chance to talk up the Rebellion IRL.

But yeah, not a whole lot else. Just quiet.

Today's docket should be lighter S&S w/ sPL and Karate afterward. It'll be my first time practicing in the apartment - should be interesting.

9 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Well, like I said, I tend to stick to ground stuff because it's traditionally been easier to cook and figure macros. I'm already figuring on doing some prep work on Sundays for breakfast - do up some meat, get it cooked, then portion it out for the week. Lunch at this point involves a little too much freshness of ingredients to pull that trick, but even so. Breakfast!

Consider this. With the IP at your side, you can cut meat into chunks and cook it a fraction of the time it once did. On Sunday I will do any recipe that requires pulled meat just to ensure that I don't have to rush on Tuesday/Thursday. 2-3lb chuck roast cut into 1-2 inch pieces will cook in an hour to an hour and a half. Chuck is pretty tough. Chicken or smaller cuts take much less time. 20-30 minutes for a sizable amount of chicken. 

If you are clever with your seasoning, it can make a meal that looks like you slaved over it when in reality you just used some scissors and dumped in some spices.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Consider this. With the IP at your side, you can cut meat into chunks and cook it a fraction of the time it once did. On Sunday I will do any recipe that requires pulled meat just to ensure that I don't have to rush on Tuesday/Thursday. 2-3lb chuck roast cut into 1-2 inch pieces will cook in an hour to an hour and a half. Chuck is pretty tough. Chicken or smaller cuts take much less time. 20-30 minutes for a sizable amount of chicken. 

If you are clever with your seasoning, it can make a meal that looks like you slaved over it when in reality you just used some scissors and dumped in some spices.

You know, that is a thought. I'm so used to having limitations on space and access to tools that, to tell you the truth, I pretty much discounted most recipes that didn't involve a sauce pan or a frying pan. This is something I'm really going to have to dig into and consider. Especially if I mean to cook for others who may not be so keen on something so plain as Beef And Rice Because It's Nice(TM).

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Kishi said:

You know, that is a thought. I'm so used to having limitations on space and access to tools that, to tell you the truth, I pretty much discounted most recipes that didn't involve a sauce pan or a frying pan. This is something I'm really going to have to dig into and consider. Especially if I mean to cook for others who may not be so keen on something so plain as Beef And Rice Because It's Nice(TM).

Yeah, I thought there might be a little tunnel vision at play lol. Not that ground meat isn't great and can't play nice with other stuff, too. Like sausage. And bacon. And shrimp or scallops. Know what I want right now? Gumbo.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Yeah, I thought there might be a little tunnel vision at play lol. Not that ground meat isn't great and can't play nice with other stuff, too. Like sausage. And bacon. And shrimp or scallops. Know what I want right now? Gumbo.

Go cook it in your IP, then. :P

Just now, Kishi said:

Go cook it in your IP, then. :P

You laugh, I do that sort of thing lol.

• Like 2

So, Tuesday's training went well. I got home, changed, and did S&S with the 24. Felt good. Swings were easy and elbow didn't give me any grief. I'm not feeling anything now either.

sPL is back to scap push ups, but those were super-easy. I reckon I'll probably be more aggressive on some of my movements going forward, assuming that they feel easy enough. Fortunately, GB programming does allow for this, but the jumps in programming can be substantial and I might wind up biting off more than I can chew.

Honestly, though, not too worried about it. Since my training has grown cyclical, in the worst case I can just jump forward and drop back as I need to and practice at a certain level before pushing for more. I'm pretty confident about this.

Karate got cancelled, but I didn't know about it until I got to the dojo. Since I was in the neighborhood anyway, I decided to go ahead and hit up the new gym location. Unfortunately, a personal trainer was using the bags for circuit training. I was scandalized, but held my peace, walking on the treadmill and then getting a little practice in until about 21:00 or so.

IP was OP as usual. Cooked up a block of ground beef w/o breaking it up, and after it was done, I went to check it out. When I broke it, it came out rare in the middle, but it grayed as I watched it. I have concluded that the IP is sorcery.

Wednesday was supposed to be Judo and push ups, but I'd not kept up with keeping my gi clean and I was getting kind of squirrely about getting the place vacuumed and getting something out of there. So I took Wednesday night to do push up testing and housekeeping. I'm pleased to report that my set max went from 23 to 28. A 21% jump in numbers with only one day's worth of specific, dedicated training? Sweet.

I'm also pleased to report that the washer can definitely handle a pair of gi if balanced properly against each other. Dryer's a little weak, but if that's honestly the worst thing I run up against, I'm probably not in bad shape.

Speaking of shape, I finally got my hands on another tape measure. And with food today being thrown on account of office Chili day, I decided to crunch my numbers. I was prepared for bad news - I hadn't had the chance to run my numbers in about three weeks due to various factors, and I figured for sure that taking an extra week of deload would have blown something. I couldn't see anything in the mirror, but still.

But yeah, no, weighed in and measured right smack dab where I've been since the beginning of maintenance. 189 lbs, 17.3%, which is within a daily fluctuation of where I was when I started maintenance.

Holy crap.

Anyway, nothing's come up as far as needing me yet, so I'm gonna hop back on to the regularly scheduled program today. Front Squatting like a fiend and also RCPE1.2 to work on my elbow for the next cycle. Gonna jump the FL work a few steps today also to see how it feels.

I would have preferred not to take two weeks of deload... but I have to admit, I feel really good. I think I managed a good compromise between what I wanted and what others needed of me, and some aches and pains that I've been carrying have kind of subsided while I've been at it. I've learned some things, had some insights, and as long as I stay disciplined, I think I'm gonna be okay.

I have an incentive to keep disciplined: Raleigh Supercon. It's our answer to Comicon and it looks like it's gonna be huge. The reason for my discipline is, ulp, I'm gonna cosplay. It's not gonna be anything ornate - it's gonna be more of an indy joke costume, but to hell with it. I'm vain, and there's no shortcuts and no reason not to use what I've learned to my advantage.

Counting down the days until I can go on cut again...

• Like 2

Wheee, training was fun. Good to be back under the barbell and up on the rings.

So office chili day turned out good. There was chili. There was chips and queso. There were caramel fudge brownies and turtle pie. I helped myself to everything without guilt... and then ate my planned lunch of healthy carbs and fats, because I've learned that just because your macros are blown it doesn't follow that you can't keep blowing them up with healthy food. :D

Besides, I had the training to do, and figured I'd put the food to good use.

W 1 D 1

Warmed Up

Front Squats

1x3x45

4x5x85

3x4x85

5x3x85

8x2x85

4x1x85

Volume = 5,830 lbs

RCPE1.2 - High Rows 5x3

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press: 1x16x20

FLPE1.4 - Hollow Body Tuck Hold 4x24s

Relatively quick session, honestly. Whole thing didn't take longer than 45 minutes, which I've heard from the "Fitness As A Game Of Hormones" crowd is the cutoff between good hormones and Cortisol, which killed Inigo Montoya's father amongst other crimes. Not a target I was aiming for and not a target I particularly care about, but interesting and fun to have hit anyway. Especially doing things that will objectively make me better and not doing some kind of private work outs that will keep me dependent on someone else's programming.

OTOH, kind of annoyed that my volume is down about 1000 lbs from last time I did this, but there's enough factors at play that I'm not going to read anything into it. Last time I really got to dig into this was before inclement weather and having to get called out to move myself and others around. So it's really been about three weeks since I really got to tuck into something like this. It feels like a loss, but I think I could make a case to myself about having preserved the majority of my gains without killing myself to do it. You look at it that way, it's not so bad.

Elbow felt good at this level of ring rows and isn't feeling bad today either. So far, the notion of keeping to this level for a month or so seems like a good one. We'll see. Need to stay patient and stay humble.

Hollow Body Tuck Holds were pretty easy. Got a bit of a shake going toward the end, but it didn't feel like it was particularly difficult, if that makes any sense. I will probably slow it down to single steps rather than large jumps, but on the whole, feels right.

Today, I am taking time to go watch a double feature of some Coen Brothers films, because I am apparently uncultured swine for not having seen The Big Lebowski or Fargo. I'm not sure I agree with the dude's idea of cultured, given that the last thing I sat through with him was The Phantom Thread, which is essentially 50 Shades for the bourgeoisie, but then again I'm now qualified to have an opinion, so there's that. Not to mention that, like I said, if left to my own devices I tend to spend all my time out on the mats, and not really doing much of anything else. There's value in seeing more of the world, so.

I can't do that and train, though, so I took a look at my work load and my performance over the past week and decided to take today off of work too. Because why not. :)

52 minutes ago, Kishi said:

So office chili day turned out good. There was chili. There was chips and queso. There were caramel fudge brownies and turtle pie. I helped myself to everything without guilt... and then ate my planned lunch of healthy carbs and fats, because I've learned that just because your macros are blown it doesn't follow that you can't keep blowing them up with healthy food. :D

Besides, I had the training to do, and figured I'd put the food to good use.

giphy.gif

51 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Today, I am taking time to go watch a double feature of some Coen Brothers films, because I am apparently uncultured swine for not having seen The Big Lebowski or Fargo. I'm not sure I agree with the dude's idea of cultured, given that the last thing I sat through with him was The Phantom Thread, which is essentially 50 Shades for the bourgeoisie, but then again I'm now qualified to have an opinion, so there's that. Not to mention that, like I said, if left to my own devices I tend to spend all my time out on the mats, and not really doing much of anything else. There's value in seeing more of the world, so.

Did you ask WHICH culture in particular was the yardstick??

• Like 2