Forums are back in action! ×

What made you smile today?

I went to a concert tonight for a local Irish & roots band - but not just any Irish band. This particular group has been around since 2003 in various incarnations, and I have been a fan of them since I attended their very first concert. Plus, I took a class in college from the music professor who started the group, and have a lot of respect for him.

So this band really has a special place in my heart, and I was thrilled to be able to attend their yearly St. Patrick's day concert tonight. (Heck, I was glad they even had a concert, since the band is mostly defunct and only performs on St. Patrick's day anymore.)

• Like 1

charts-and-graphs-that-explain-your-favo

• Like 2

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

- Kitten pictures in Waanie's challenge - just so cute!

- Northern lights in my hometown

- Getting accepted to a closed beta of a game I've been looking forward for months

• Like 2

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Spread love and understanding. Use force if necessary." - Leon Trotsky

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

"If you do strange things, strange things will happen!"

"That's it! Now go make something beautiful." -Jake Parker

Walked into Crossfit this morning at 0530 with rock bottom blood sugar. Was feeling woozy and ready to go home, eat, and come back for a later class... then my coach and a wod buddy conjured up a banana and nut mix, that got me through a 30 minute workout. yaaay!!

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

Last night I was crossing the street to get the mail when a neighbor stopped her car in the middle out of the road, rolled down her window, and shouted "you look amazing!"

• Like 2

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

I might seem weird; today's lecture on institutionalism and discourses was awsome. Havn't played around with sociology in ages. Post-modernism is so much fun!:D

From the North, I am. Grammar applys here not.

Forest Elven Lightstalker Lv. 3

“Little by little, one travels farâ€.― J.R.R. Tolkien.

42%
42%

% of Available Sparklepoints Collected, Current Challenge

<p>

I'm not sure if this is real, if it's not... then all the jumping around like a giggly school girl will be for naught. But one can hope...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoXGsv9nsNs

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

I'm not sure if this is real, if it's not... then all the jumping around like a giggly school girl will be for naught. But one can hope...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoXGsv9nsNs

It's real.  They have to shut down parts of Vancouver this spring for primary filming.

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

It's real.  They have to shut down parts of Vancouver this spring for primary filming.

I knew the movie had been confirmed, the giggly school girl part is that they keep Deadpool true to character....

I did find in an interview that Ryan did, that it's going to be the movie that the audience wants due to something with the budgeting.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

Yay!

WMMST: An online argument about mandatory voting in America.  Two ridiculously rabid pro-Constitution pro-Freedom friends of mine made all of the good arguments against mandatory voting, which all essentially boiled down to "cuz I don't wanna". 

Yay!

WMMST: An online argument about mandatory voting in America.  Two ridiculously rabid pro-Constitution pro-Freedom friends of mine made all of the good arguments against mandatory voting, which all essentially boiled down to "cuz I don't wanna". 

People have the freedom to choose. I don't vote simply as a vote of no confidence in the whole system. People will say that if you don't vote you don't have a right to complain, but I see it differently.

Though the question I do have... Let's say they have mandatory voting, how do you confirm someone did or didn't come out to vote, without requiring ID?

My first challenge

The same way you confirm whether or not someone did or didn't do their tax returns: there already exists a governmental system to collect multiple forms of information from every stratum of society.  Mail out prepared voting ballots to everyone, with their information already on it.  They put down the candidate they wish to vote for (either one of the Big Two, or one of the hundreds of alternative / independent candidates available and easily researchable), and drop it in the mail.  

They have huge books here with everyone who is registered to vote in it and their address. You turn up, tell them your name and address the put a line though your name with a ruler. See too easy. Each shire has their own books with all their constituents and if you don't belong to that shire on voting day you place an absentee vote.

Now I'm not going to say it's perfect but here in Australia mandatory voting is already upon us and if you don't get a red line though your name you get fined. I'm sure the Americans will come up with a better, faster, more accurate way of doing this, but it works for us colonials.

Anyway once you get your name crossed off they hand you your ballots, you walk to the cardboard voting booth and proceed to write that each party sucks dead dogs...........I mean you vote for your favourite party then place ballots in the correct cardboard box before leaving and go for tea and lamingtons. :)

Wait! What............?

The same way you confirm whether or not someone did or didn't do their tax returns: there already exists a governmental system to collect multiple forms of information from every stratum of society.  Mail out prepared voting ballots to everyone, with their information already on it.  They put down the candidate they wish to vote for (either one of the Big Two, or one of the hundreds of alternative / independent candidates available and easily researchable), and drop it in the mail.  

And how do you verify that the person who received it, is in fact the person you're looking for?

They have huge books here with everyone who is registered to vote in it and their address. You turn up, tell them your name and address the put a line though your name with a ruler. See too easy. Each shire has their own books with all their constituents and if you don't belong to that shire on voting day you place an absentee vote.

Now I'm not going to say it's perfect but here in Australia mandatory voting is already upon us and if you don't get a red line though your name you get fined. I'm sure the Americans will come up with a better, faster, more accurate way of doing this, but it works for us colonials.

Anyway once you get your name crossed off they hand you your ballots, you walk to the cardboard voting booth and proceed to write that each party sucks dead dogs...........I mean you vote for your favourite party then place ballots in the correct cardboard box before leaving and go for tea and lamingtons. :)

I'm Sevenofseven here to vote, here's my address...

then when you show up, and you're name is crossed out, how do you prove who you are and how do you find the person that voted in your place?

To me, this ID thing is much ado about nothing, we have to show ID for numerous other things.... why not voting?

My first challenge

1.) Because 99.999% of the rest of the mail arrives that way just fine. Tax forms arrive like that.  Government cheques arrive like that. Bills arrive like that.  Hundreds of different types of sensitive documents arrive like that. Hell, people ship gold through the mail in clear plastic bags, and that system seems to work fine. Why would the addition of voting cards suddenly not work, sufficient to the point to sway an entire election, particularly when the entire point of this discussion is 140 million people ALREADY AREN'T voting?

2.) You do need ID to vote.  However, what ID you can use is very... confusing in America. Student ID, no.  Veteran's ID, no.  Gun license? You betcha!

3.) You need your ID when you show up at the polling place, in Australia just like in Canada: some form of government ID (SIN card, birth certificate, passport, Care Card), and something with your picture.  Since both are free, it's a pretty easy thing to handle. 

1.) Because 99.999% of the rest of the mail arrives that way just fine. Tax forms arrive like that.  Government cheques arrive like that. Bills arrive like that.  Hundreds of different types of sensitive documents arrive like that. Hell, people ship gold through the mail in clear plastic bags, and that system seems to work fine. Why would the addition of voting cards suddenly not work, sufficient to the point to sway an entire election, particularly when the entire point of this discussion is 140 million people ALREADY AREN'T voting?

Didn't say it didn't work, just how do you verify? That's the point of an ID.

2.) You do need ID to vote.  However, what ID you can use is very... confusing in America. Student ID, no.  Veteran's ID, no.  Gun license? You betcha!

Neither the Student ID nor the Veteran's ID is official state or government ID card. The Gun license as far as I can tell is...

3.) You need your ID when you show up at the polling place, in Australia just like in Canada: some form of government ID (SIN card, birth certificate, passport, Care Card), and something with your picture.  Since both are free, it's a pretty easy thing to handle. 

I agree, which makes it much ado about nothing.

My first challenge