New plan!!! NEED HELP

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Couch to 5K! Interval program to build up to running 5K. I like this one, because even if you are in good shape, you should ramp your running up slowly to be protective of your joints.

Level 0 Undine Druid

"I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself. Fish are friends, not food.†~ Finding Nemo

June challenge thread.

I second couch to 5k. Once you get started you can skip ahead to where you feel you are with your current ability level. I couldn't run 1/4 mile straight at this time last year, I followed this program, and ended the year doing sub 30 minute 5k's. I'm working my way back up now, running another 1/4 straight each time I run, but it's because I already have the base from this program.

As for the actual race, if you can do a 5k, you can do the race. It looks like it's basically a warrior dash type deal. Warrior dash was way easier than a 5k. The longest you have to run between obstacles at any point is only a mile or so.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I wish I was closer, I'd come join you, but they make us get stinkin' passports now to go up there!

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I second couch to 5k. Once you get started you can skip ahead to where you feel you are with your current ability level. I couldn't run 1/4 mile straight at this time last year, I followed this program, and ended the year doing sub 30 minute 5k's. I'm working my way back up now, running another 1/4 straight each time I run, but it's because I already have the base from this program.

As for the actual race, if you can do a 5k, you can do the race. It looks like it's basically a warrior dash type deal. Warrior dash was way easier than a 5k. The longest you have to run between obstacles at any point is only a mile or so.

Exactly. You can also repeat a week if you are struggling. I'm working back through the program again, working on speed, I'm running all the intervals, but doing the fast intervals at my goal speed for my next race. All in all, a pretty decent all purpose interval program.

I would suggest doing as much as possible outside if you can. Running on a treadmill =/= running outside. When I first started running last year I was mainly treadmill running (cause I like pretty, track-able numbers). There was a decent transition to running outside.

Level 0 Undine Druid

"I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself. Fish are friends, not food.†~ Finding Nemo

June challenge thread.

Boston and Baltimore are both 4ish hours away. Warrior Dash does one near me (hence my avatar), and I plan on doing those once a year.

500 / 330 / 625

it would have to be all outside, I am sans treadmill, and I don't go to a gym, we have equipment in our basement....

I live in the hilliest place on earth I think, you can't get out of my town without going up a steep hill...so I think once I get used the running part, running up hill will help me for the obstacle part....strenuous.

Never let your fear decide your fate.

Yeah, treadmill running is just picking the feet up and putting them down. Outside you're actually pushing your weight around. To simulate this on a treadmill I put it at a 1-3% incline.

500 / 330 / 625

Yeah, treadmill running is just picking the feet up and putting them down. Outside you're actually pushing your weight around. To simulate this on a treadmill I put it at a 1-3% incline.

Yarp! Incline is your friend for any type of treadmill work.

Level 0 Undine Druid

June challenge thread.

Outside you take advantage of momentum which pretty much exactly offsets the difference between you moving and the ground moving (pushing you backwards).

I actually find outside a little easier. However I am greatly skewed toward treadmill in total experience.

Outside you naturally modulate your speed. You simply don't have the option to run steady state, especially if running alone. For me personally I will slow as I tire, on a treadmill I don't have this option unless I change the speed, thus it gets harder and harder.

I'm sure it varies, but I live in a very hilly area. There really is only one true flat spot in my outside course, the rest of the time I'm going up or down to varying degrees. This has the effect of working slighly different muscles, or at least the muscle balance, after an uphill going downhill is restful at the same speed perception, and vice versa is also true. I don't think that I could touch my max outside distance on a treadmill because of this.

I can go faster on a treadmill, but I think this is more psychological than anything, I can maintain pushing myself harder for a longer period of time. It is too easy to slow down outside when the going gets tough.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

"I can go faster on a treadmill, but I think this is more psychological than anything, I can maintain pushing myself harder for a longer period of time. It is too easy to slow down outside when the going gets tough."..........

but, what if the undead were chasing you?

Never let your fear decide your fate.

Running on a treadmill =/= running outside.

A million times this. I lovelovelove running outside (when the weather isn't miserable). I'm not so much a fan of the treadmills. They're a tool but one I do not enjoy using. I'm just happier the days I run outside.

That being said, Couch to 5K is (n+1)ed (not the second and I don't feel like counting). The race itself won't be like that but it would definitely be a good background. You will also want to do some type of strength or sprinting for running from zombies. I'm doing one in May and will be doing the Convict Conditioning bodyweight exercises all along with running.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

I'll be doing the one near Minneapolis :)

Don't forget, there are 12 obstacles. The upside is you won't have to run the entire 5k in one shot, just a quarter mile at a time.

Does anyone know what the obstacles will be like?

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

You should obviously come to the Boston one then...

Don't you worry, between having 2 friends up there that I haven't seen in awhile, wanting to travel and see other cities with my wife, and all the NFers up there, I REALLY want to make a long weekend trip up there this summer. It's basically just picking a weekend once it gets closer.

500 / 330 / 625