Friday October 18

Woman underwater holding a pomegranate in a print by Alexi Marshall

Katabasis, by Alexi Marshall

Spoiler

In Katabasis there is a recurring highly symbolic fruit, the pomegranate, which embodies both sweetness and bitterness and has a symbolic history of fertility and death across many different cultures. In this work, Marshall explores these themes, drawing from the Greek myth of Persephone, who is bound to Hades by consuming pomegranate seeds, resulting in her cyclical journey between the underworld and the earth. Marshall's lino paintings blend personal experience with mythology, portraying the pomegranate as an emblem of the cyclical nature of life and the interplay of pleasure and pain. In her works she juxtaposes ancient symbols and contemporary elements, creating an exploration of memory, mythology, and rebirth.

Welcome to almost the end. The oak king, the sun, and Persephone herself are saying their first round of goodbyes, and Halloween is barely two weeks away. I've spent most of 0 week tinkering with a structure for what I'll be observing and asking of myself for this challenge. The answer?

1. Mostly nothing. Mostly I want me to thrive. Mostly I want my days to be a gift to myself and a blessing to my future selves. In the name of life and gentle thriving, I have a weekly punch list that I'll continue using on this challenge to externalize my own self-observations. No failure states possible.
  2. I'll also be abusing using you lovely folks by play a game called "can laghail enjoy 3d modeling projects without hyper-focus if the assignments are creepy and fun and incremental??" Expect weekly/daily assignments but they aren't touching the observational punch list because assignments can be failed.
  3. Also I'll be posting art and music related to the theme of katabasis, or journeying to the underworld. Audience submissions are cherished.

image.png.6415df8e00125d536581ac1c263c5a4c.png

Emoji Key

Spoiler

image.png.bb5d0bb61a3927e07bd3af4e993d3688.png

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 2

Level 38 [Raveling Bard]

Here for this!

• Like 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

38 minutes ago, Laghail said:

We are friends for other reasons

I added the pomegranate just for you. Original plan was strawberries. 

Spoiler

20241019_132502.thumb.jpg.5598d92834f96f492c76e3862582e575.jpg

Some final touches remain to be added. Today was just the pomegranate and red grapes.

• Like 2

We are not sinners trespassing in the garden of an angry God.

We are prodigals come home; fully seen and deeply loved.

Spoiler

lurking!

• That's Metal 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

On 10/18/2024 at 10:17 PM, Laghail said:
  • Mostly nothing. Mostly I want me to thrive. Mostly I want my days to be a gift to myself and a blessing to my future selves. In the name of life and gentle thriving, I have a weekly punch list that I'll continue using on this challenge to externalize my own self-observations. No failure states possible.

I really love this!

15 hours ago, Harriet said:

What is a punch list?

Well, first you make a list of things you want to punch. Next, you check things off the list.

bette midler punch GIF

Or possibly that's just me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

On 10/20/2024 at 1:30 AM, Harriet said:

What is a punch list?

The purple/green spreadsheet that I'm dropping this month. It was orange and black last month. Probs punchlist is an inaccurate title, as that tends to refer to one-time tasks to be completed, and the green/purple thingy is a daily tracking sheet, but punching tho.....

On 10/20/2024 at 4:46 PM, sarakingdom said:

Well, first you make a list of things you want to punch. Next, you check things off the list.

Or possibly that's just me.

Yis! Because punching!

On 10/19/2024 at 6:42 PM, fleaball said:

lurking!

On 10/20/2024 at 1:30 AM, Harriet said:

Gentle thriving sounds amazing. 

On 10/20/2024 at 2:27 AM, Mad Hatter said:

I really love this!

Literally you folks make these challenges possible. I'm very grateful.

• Like 1

Level 38 [Raveling Bard]