Forums are back in action! ×

Early morning rising / workouts

Siferiax

I just need to get this out of my system.

I get very annoyed when I read recommendation for rising early and doing your workout first thing in the morning.

Why? Because I can't do that!

And I don't mean that I can't rise early. I mean that I feel unable to rise earlier!

I get out of bed at 5:15 am and it's horror all by itself. I go to the bathroom, I get dressed, I get breakfast and then all left over time goes into playing with my kitten.

Then at 6 am I'm out the door! I arrive at work at 6:30 am. (surprisingly on Monday and Tuesday any later and the parking garage is quickly filling up!)

So considering I have major trouble getting up at 5:15, I definitely can't find myself waking up even earlier to get other stuff done?!

I also can't see myself going to bed any earlier to be honest. People actually laugh at me when I say I go to bed at 10pm... when I find that's actually too late :|

And then I just read an article about how to create a habit of getting up earlier and what to do... man, an hour?!

I'd be waking up in the middle of the night, stalking the house at 4:15 am like a zombie!

Sorry, I just needed to get this out of my system and post it somewhere!

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

Wow, I'd probably be in bed by 9pm at the latest if I had to get up early! Always find it weird that folk will advise getting up earlier, while stressing the importance of good quality sleep... Hey, you do what you can, and frankly if you can even function at 5.15am, I'd call it a win!

Wow, I'd probably be in bed by 9pm at the latest if I had to get up early! Always find it weird that folk will advise getting up earlier, while stressing the importance of good quality sleep... Hey, you do what you can, and frankly if you can even function at 5.15am, I'd call it a win!

I've been recording the amount of sleep I'm getting (since this week) and it seems to be less than 7 hours. I need to up that a little.

I'm having a good amount of trouble getting out, especially this morning was hard.

I've been getting up at around 6am for over a year, then moved and needed to get up around 5:30am, recently had to make it earlier to take care of my cat.

I guess I'm pretty used to getting up in the morning.

I always read that advice as applying to the typical workday, you know, a 9am start. In that case getting up at 6 or 7 would be 'early' and a workout could be fitted in. It seems insane to get up at 4am, especially if you aren't having a problem fitting in a workout.

That be true! I start at around 6:30~6:45 and go home at around 3:15~3:30. So I generally actually workout before dinner :)

I just really like the idea of doing things early in the morning, as a "do your most important task first".

If I look at my natural tendencies I have a bedtime around midnight and waking up around 8 or 9 am. Then I get going around 10ish maybe?! That was my two week break anyway haha.

Yeah, I'm up at 5 to get to work by 6, so I am also of the "not getting up any earlier" camp.

But then again, I work in a warehouse throwing around boxes all day, so that's a workout in itself.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Haha yeah that sounds like a pretty heavy job! I just sit at a desk 4 hours straight, have a half hour lunch (though tends to stretch to an hour to be honest) and then sit for another 4 hours. I know I should get up more, but I feel awkward wandering around and getting stared at haha.

Spoiler

I work for the ministry of defense... not much war going on over here 8D

So mostly drinking coffee and sleeping... on average anyway.

I just don't drink coffee or sleep.

(I'm serious about the sleeping, one of my direct coworkers literally falls asleep pretty much every day)

Spoiler

to be honest.....bah on the rise early and workout crap(yeah there may be benefits, but my scientific study of waking early calls it crap! :) ).

If it works for you, and you can do it, then great, go for it!

But everyone is different, and you can and will see great results if you workout at different times of the day. So find what works for you, stick with it, be consistent, and you will see benefits.

But everyone is different, and you can and will see great results if you workout at different times of the day. So find what works for you, stick with it, be consistent, and you will see benefits.

So true. The best time of the day to workout is when you are most likely to workout, because well isn't the whole point of working out to actully workout? If your not working out than you won't get any better / reach your goals / any other reasons you might be working out, regardless of what time you workout.

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

I am an early riser for workouts. I had to change my habits, but it works for me, maybe it's not for you. The biggest thing for me on a workout morning is, do nothing except get dressed and get to the gym. Don't shower (shower after the workout), don't mess about cooking, playing with the cat, any of that. Get up, get dressed, get out.

I get up at 4:50, to be at the gym at 5:30, to be at work by 7:30. I go to bed at 9, because if I don't then I'm not rested enough to fuction. Fuck the people that want to laugh at me, they don't bother me.

When you exercise doesn't matter. That you work out does. Do what you can, when you can, with what you've got. And you'll be making positive progress.

I hate getting up early more than words can express. But I'm beginning to find that if I don't do a workout first thing in the morning, it won't get done at all. If I do it first thing, it's over and I can go around feeling smug the rest of the day.

However, getting up earlier than 5:15 does seem extreme. Perhaps a lunch time or afternoon (or evening) workout would suit you better. Or you could just move kitty playtime to after work. The cat probably won't mind. You can also do a brief workout before breakfast. Just do a few dance moves to warm up, then hit the floor and knock out some pushups while your coffee is brewing. Workouts do not need to take an hour.

I would recommend you actually go to bed earlier though, because most people need at least 7.5 hours of sleep a night to be healthy, and you're not getting that much. Who cares whether people laugh at your bedtime? Go to bed early enough to get the rest you need, and ignore anyone who makes fun. They're probably the same people who make fun of you for eating right and exercising, too, so they don't know crap.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

There's so much reaction on this topic than I expected!! Thanks for all your thoughts!!!

to be honest.....bah on the rise early and workout crap(yeah there may be benefits, but my scientific study of waking early calls it crap! :) ).

If it works for you, and you can do it, then great, go for it!

So true. The best time of the day to workout is when you are most likely to workout, because well isn't the whole point of working out to actully workout? If your not working out than you won't get any better / reach your goals / any other reasons you might be working out, regardless of what time you workout.

Thanks for the motivation you too! It's true that doing something is better than doing nothing! I've been able to get workouts in every day since I started, even though not at the same time every day...

I am an early riser for workouts. I had to change my habits, but it works for me, maybe it's not for you. The biggest thing for me on a workout morning is, do nothing except get dressed and get to the gym. Don't shower (shower after the workout), don't mess about cooking, playing with the cat, any of that. Get up, get dressed, get out.

I get up at 4:50, to be at the gym at 5:30, to be at work by 7:30. I go to bed at 9, because if I don't then I'm not rested enough to fuction. Fuck the people that want to laugh at me, they don't bother me.

When you exercise doesn't matter. That you work out does. Do what you can, when you can, with what you've got. And you'll be making positive progress.

Yeah I get it, I just have obligations to be at work so damn early.

I hate getting up early more than words can express. But I'm beginning to find that if I don't do a workout first thing in the morning, it won't get done at all. If I do it first thing, it's over and I can go around feeling smug the rest of the day.

However, getting up earlier than 5:15 does seem extreme. Perhaps a lunch time or afternoon (or evening) workout would suit you better. Or you could just move kitty playtime to after work. The cat probably won't mind. You can also do a brief workout before breakfast. Just do a few dance moves to warm up, then hit the floor and knock out some pushups while your coffee is brewing. Workouts do not need to take an hour.

I would recommend you actually go to bed earlier though, because most people need at least 7.5 hours of sleep a night to be healthy, and you're not getting that much. Who cares whether people laugh at your bedtime? Go to bed early enough to get the rest you need, and ignore anyone who makes fun. They're probably the same people who make fun of you for eating right and exercising, too, so they don't know crap.

I play with my cat after work too. He's only 3 months old, he really does mind if I would go to work without giving him attention! He already minds that he doesn't get out of his room the moment I wake up. At this age it's just a lot of time!! He gets really bad ass annoying without attention.

Also what I stated above as my morning routine, there isn't time between tasks? I prepare breakfast the evening before and there is no coffee, I don't drink that stuff at all :)

So wake up, bathroom, dress, eat, kitten, go. Yup. Not that I'm super fast at it, being half asleep and such.

I'm trying to go to bed earlier, but I'm so behind chores and taking care of stuff. I'm actively trying to not turn on the computer at all, no facebook or any of that, so I have more time.

I often wonder where all my time went ahaha!

Last night I slept 7:20 hours, so it's slowly going to get better.

If I wouldn't have a job........ well I can dream!!

Getting up at 8, working out, taking a shower, getting breakfast, spending time with kitten. Doing whatever the rest of the day. Going to sleep when I'm tired.

Sounds perfect to me!

To be honest, when I'm really tired I just slum down in the afternoon and take a nap lol.

So I try to see me coming home from work as a sort of waking up. Trying to work out right then and there :)

Spoiler

Most days, I get up somewhere between 1 and 3... And my workouts are usually between 2 and 4 (except running, that is mid-afternoon). I should probably also state that my waking time is 1-3pm and workouts are 2-4am. Gotta love working night shift.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Yeah haha, that's a whole different sleep/wake pattern you have then!! :)

Spoiler

I'm not a morning exercise person, did try a number of strategies etc but all failed!

Now I just go to work early & do my exercise in the afternoon. I find this helps with my sleeping at night (more tired) & I am really happier. I do however, commit to doing the exercise as it is easy to sit on the couch in the afternoons....

This works well for me! Good luck:)

'Don't quit, two words, that's it' :-)

Oh man. 5:15am? That's like my midnight o.o I think I'd actually die if I had to get up any earlier than 8am :-\

I guess I got into that routine with working from home and going to uni with weird hours (3pm until 9pm) but even so.. I may be a total noob here but is there actually any difference in when you work out? Like, just after you wake up is better than just before dinner? Or is it just a preference thing?

[table=width: 350, align: center]

Level 1

475 / 1535 exp

Losing weight, getting fit and finding happiness...

...one quest at a time

[/table]

Yeah, and it leads to a whole slew of other problems, like trying to fall asleep when the sun is up, and "Am I eating breakfast or dinner?"

Preach it, brother. Man, it's a pain. But I do like a good shift premium, though.

EightDigit - Level 1 Dwarven RangerSTR: 3 | DEX : 3 | STA : 3 | CON : 2 | WIS : 2 | CHA : 2Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade.-Rudyard KiplingBattleLog | G+ Account 

Oh man. 5:15am? That's like my midnight o.o I think I'd actually die if I had to get up any earlier than 8am :-\

I guess I got into that routine with working from home and going to uni with weird hours (3pm until 9pm) but even so.. I may be a total noob here but is there actually any difference in when you work out? Like, just after you wake up is better than just before dinner? Or is it just a preference thing?

It's more on the philosophy of getting your most important task done first. If you start of with a workout, you don't have to worry about what the day is gonna bring and how you gonna fit a workout in there, because you already did that workout!

At least that would be my reason!

There's less chance of injury if you work out later in the day, not first thing in the morning.

Your muscles are warmed up from day's activities.

Really? Well I guess my schedule has some benefits then!

Spoiler

It's more on the philosophy of getting your most important task done first. If you start of with a workout, you don't have to worry about what the day is gonna bring and how you gonna fit a workout in there, because you already did that workout!

At least that would be my reason!

This was my biggest reason for switching to mornings. If work ran long, or I had a crap day, I often wouldn't go to the gym in the evenings, rather I'd go home, grab a beer and watch TV. When I go first thing, the day can do whatever it wants, because when it's over I can go home guilt free.

The second biggest reason for the switch, empty gym! No douches, I can get any equipment I need, I can even take up a few peices of gear at a time. And that is awesome. Most of the other people there at that time are cool, dedicated and friendly, makes for a great atmosphere.

I'm definitely stronger later in the day, if I workout on the weekends, its usually the middle of the day and I feel like everything goes up much easier. But that's not practical on a weekday, and for me its more important that I go, not when I go. I don't care what experts say is the best time for the body, I'm not a pro athelete with nothing to do but eat, train and sleep.

Everyone needs to find what works for them. The best workout is the one you can do regularly. But if you can't make the evening sessions regularly, then it might be worth looking into shaking up your daily routine.

If you have to go to work early, then the "do your workout first thing" advice isn't directed at you. I don't think even the CW hacks would advise people getting up at oh-dark-thirty to do a workout just for the sake of completing it in the morning. There's nothing wrong with working out in the afternoon, given your schedule.

I do my workout in the morning out of necessity, not choice. It's the only time I can get out of the house while my husband is still home to be with our kids.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

I'm in the afternoon camp, too. Simply because I feel so weak in the mornings. I wake up at 5.30 or 6am to be at work by 8. If I could work out at 8 or maybe 9, the 'sleep weakness' I feel would gone, but I have to be at work instead. So, I do my workouts in the afternoon - I like it because I can take my time, have a good shower after, and don't have to constantly check my watch to make sure I'm not about to miss the bus.

Less stress, more strength, and I get the workout done - it's all good :)

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

Can I just pick you all up and cuddle you?! ;w;

I just get all warm and fuzzy inside reading all these comments!!

Thanks a bunch! I definitely feel a lot better about my workout schedule now!!

This afternoon I'll be picking up some dumbbells at my parents (because they rarely use them), until I get to a point I can get my own. (it's a quest lol).

Spoiler

There was a solid year where I "transformed" myself into a morning person - as in up and working out at 4:30am so I could be at work no later than 7am.. but once I got back on a normal work schedule that whole early rising thing just didn't work out. I've accepted I'm a post-work exerciser for the sake of my sanity/sleep schedule long term.

Has anyone ever transformed to a morning person for the sake of exercise? Long-term, I mean.

Archived