Forums are back in action! ×

2013 Resolutions

joeyb

No excuses and no regrets.

I've been so bad about making excuses for my poor lifestyle choices (eating habits, lack of exercise,) and then I spend all this time regretting my choices rather than doing something constructive. the end. I'm fed up with myself and I'm not taking it. 13 is my lucky number and 2013 is going to be my lucky year and I'm going to shine.

Space_Elf, Fallohide Hobbit Level 0. STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Battle Log | 

Science fiction is an existential metaphor, that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Isaac Asimov once said: "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

I plan on giving doing some interesting work/reward for when I drink soda. I don't want to give it up completely, but I will run a mile for each soda I drink. I will also run a mile for each beer I drink, and I want to limit myself to 2 drinks a week. No smoking whatsoever. I used to only have the occasional cigar but it has continued to creep up and I no longer find it acceptable. It is terrible for me and it is time to stop. Each time I eat fast food I will run 4 miles. I also resolve to follow weight watchers and lose 20 pounds. That is my goal. Get down to 185#. I also want to cook more at home. I don't know how to measure that quite but that is my goal. Also I actually resolve to follow these and follow through. Gotta go big and work hard. I wanna go big and go hard or not go at all.

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply.  Willing is not enough, we must do."

--Bruce Lee

My resolution is to make my life more epic in the coming year. Since moving to North Dakota, we've let ourselves fall into a lame-spiral of doing nothing but working, watching movies, surfing the internet and occasionally (but not very regularly) working out. This next year is about redefining adventure and actively seeking it in my life.

Specifics of that will remain to be seen, and probably focused on in my 6-week challenges. But this is what I want the focus of the year to be.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

Last year I resolved to be more patient with and nice to my family, and I did it, and life has been better for it. Go 2012!

For 2013, I resolve to devote myself more to my projects: reading groups, boys' group, teacher training. And to meet more people in my community. I've been feeling like a shitty Volunteer recently, so it's time to turn that around and be the best I can be in the 1.5 years I have left here.

"If we take man as he is, we make him worse. But if we take man as he should be, we make him capable of becoming what he can be."

--Viktor Frankl paraphrasing Goethe

I tend to make way to many resolutions, though this year I've reached mostly all of them, for my fitness side my main resolution is to “let go” not quite what most people think of but my weight is stopping me from doing so much that I've decided not to use it as an excuse anymore, obviously I have other smaller resolutions but for now that is all. Really like the idea of having some “fitness” target to reach to have a treat hmmmm, ponders.

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nessy, level 1 Lycan. Warrior at heart, training with the Scouts

STR 2|DEX 2|STA 4|CON 4|WIS 2|CHA 1

[/TABLE]

My only very non-specific resolution would be to make it a kick ass year :D

I would join in giving up soda and/or alcohol, but that would require me to actually drink it.

(No I also didn't give it up in the past, thanks to... not actually drinking it. Ever!)

I learned in 2012 giving something up that I really want doesn't work.

Only by being allowed to consume it, will I not need it.

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

Good thread! Here's what I'm looking at:

1. Graduate all goddamn ready. If everything goes according to plan I can finish my BA at the end of the summer, and even if it doesn't I'd still have fall and winter to figure things out, so there is no excuse for me getting out of 2013 without it.

This is one of mine too. Between medical problems and bad semesters which I tried to offset with fluff semesters I have been in school forever! My debt is crazy, but I'll have to work on that after graduation. I'm due for a duel degree though because I changed my major half way though with only a few extra classes to take to get the first degee.

I didn't drink any soda this year, so I know I can handle moderation now. I want to lose a bit more fat so I can possibly enter a IFBB bikini competition this year. As it stands I would still need to lose 2-5% bf to be reasonable for getting on a stage. That's aside from learning how to pose.

Here's hoping we can all have a wonderful year!

LVL 3 Animagus Ranger
STR: 8.8 | DEX: 5.6 | STA: 6.25 | CON:8.55 | WIS: 6 | CH: 6

"Today is not tomorrow." -Unknown
Third Challenge: Victorious Valentine
Current Maxes(Female 160lb bwt): OHP 110x2, Squat 265x1, DL 275x1 , BP 140x1

I have a lot of goals for 2013 as a year in general, but fitness and diet goals are definitely better in the 6 week intervals. Some goals work better one way, some another.

One goal for 2012 was to pay of student loans, and as of today I submitted the last payment. That was definitely more suited to a year goal. 

My goals for 2013 are things like; read a book a month, design a vector image once a month, and finish a certification for work.

A handful of goals the not exactly the year, but more for the next 6 months:

1) By May when my college friends visit I want to be down to a size 38 waist (regardless of the pant cut, currently a hair below a size 40), and only an XL shirt size (Currently a XXL).  If the sizes corrolate to ~220 pounds, all the better.  If I can fit into size 36 pants, so much the better.

2) Start reading a bunch more, starting with the multitude of beer brewing texts I've picked up in the last few months.

3) Start cooking a wider variety of food.  I cook a lot more than most single guys my age, but it's almost always things with the same theme.  The best meals I had this past year were when I decided to go slightly off the wall (eggplant stuffed with a sausage and pepper stuffing FTW.  Topping made a great pizza, too).

4) I really should start getting out more often, a la the social life Steve talked about in his most recent post.  I just.... really hate dealing with humanity, especially since the social life I would end up having to deal with is likely the "Hey Party time" type that I really, really want to shove knives into.

5) I should probably aim to be less violent.

6) But go to the dojo more, where it's appropriate to be violent.

7) And to not make lists in a stream-of-consciousness format.

Think that covers it.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I don't really set resolutions but this year I really want to work on getting myself back on track in terms of life and health. I am using NF to do this so my smaller resolution would be to be active on NF.

Level 1

0%
0%

Food Goal #1: 5 Servings of Fruits/Veg for 30 Days

13%
13%

Fitness Goal #1: 5000 Steps for 30 Days

3%
3%

Life Goal #1: Keep a Room in Peak Shape for 30 Days

3%
3%

I have four main goals for this year.

Reach my goal weight. I'm at 210.8 lbs as of this morning. My goal weight is 198 lbs. I don't have that much left to lose, and I've been doing a good job so far (lost over 60 lbs in 2012).

Run one race every month. Mostly 5ks, but I'm doing a 10-mile run in April (the Austin 10/20) and I'm thinking about doing another longer run in the fall.

Focus on building muscle. 2012 was all about me losing weight. Once I reach my goal weight I'm going to focus on building muscle, since it's hard to build muscle and lose weight at the same time.

Work on my flexibility. I'm not very flexible and I want to change that. For my strength training I'm doing bodyweight exercises and you need some flexibility to do a lot of exercises.

1) Get down to 200lbs. Currently 260lbs.

2) Travel overseas (or alternatively save enough money to make this possible). The goal is more about the money and travel is secondary.

3) Get out of debt

4) Start participating in Six Week Challenges!

moknitroTroll adventurer

Level: 1STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 4

New Challenger Appears: Moknitro's Adventure (Jan 7 - Feb 18 2013 Challenge)http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22175-new-challenger-appears-moknitros-adventure/

I have mine. I thought about doing no/limited drinking but I can do  that anyway. So my NYR will be to get better and contacting all of my friends. I am terrible terrible terrible at calling people and so I want to get better about doing that. 

Reach your limits and then surpass them.

Blindasutsutsu
My Current Challenge:
Class: Ranger
Race: Human
STR:13.5 DEX:8.5 STA: 10.5 CON:6 WIS:5 CHA:6.5

1.  Have a small adverture every month :

December I killed zombies in Patient Zero in Melbourne.  http://irlshooter.com/

January is a Ropes course at http://www.treesadventure.com.au/who-can/

ect. ect

2. Keep Working out min 3 times per week.

Unit562, level 4 Clone Ranger

STR 7.5 | DEX 2 | STA 5.5 | CON 8 | WIS 10  | CHA 6

Level 1 Level 2 Level 3 Level 4 Level 5

Ranger Guild image

When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

A good plan executed well is ALWAYS better than the most perfect plan not executed at all.

Archived