Forums are back in action! ×

Kindle Paperwhite

Anyone got one of these?

I recently, last week, upgraded from my old kindle keyboard (which I rarely used) to the new Paperwhite. However the first one I bought (from a retailer) had dust particles under the screen. So I returned it with no bother but the next one had some marks on the screen too. Again returned. This next one, number three, still had a mark on the screen and a faulty light. The light was so blotchy, really shaded at the top and super bright in the bottom right. SO again I returned it. But this time I went to a different store of the same retailer and swapped it. They gave me a new one with no hassle and it had no marks on the screen and the light seemed even. But I got back to the office and realized they had given me the 3G version by mistake. So I called them up and said that they had done so and they said that it was their mistake and I could keep the 3G version. Woop Woop.

So I returned 3 kindles and finally got one that is good, which I am loving by the way, Seriously has Amazon given no thought to consistent manufacturing. I've looked online and it seems a lot of people have had issues with the light and dead pixels. 

Frustration free packaging sure, but not frustration free products. That aside it's awesome. My only issue with it is that you can't ever turn the light completly off... it's always on a little bit, which is fine but does seem a bit pointless. The touch screen and page turns are super fast and the light in the dark is really easy on your eyes. 

My Blog

My Book Reviews

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

I have a Kindle Paperwhite someone bought for me as a replacement to my Kindle Keyboard 3G.  Other than the downgrade from 3G, I love it.  The downgrade has been painful though, and I'm considering replacing it.

Milythael Assassin

Current Activity: Milythael Acts Like an Assassin

Past Activity: 

Spoiler

Challenges: Intro, 123, 4567, 891011 12
PVPs: Demon Slaying, HOoRAY, Meditation,
 Poses, Juggling 30/30 Squat

I will say that once I got over 700 books on it, content management, searching, and navigation of titles became a bit problematic on my Paperwhite.

Milythael Assassin

Current Activity: Milythael Acts Like an Assassin

Past Activity: 

Spoiler

Challenges: Intro, 123, 4567, 891011 12
PVPs: Demon Slaying, HOoRAY, Meditation,
 Poses, Juggling 30/30 Squat

My paperwhite is one of the best purchases I have ever made. No distractions from email or texts or internet, just reading and it's incredibly handy.

Level 1 Shadowtouched Aasimar

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 1.5 | CON 2.5 | WIS 3 | CHA 4

Challenge : Current 0   Battle Log : "Stairs are the Devil!"

“I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. I aim with my eye.
I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. I shoot with my mind.
I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
I kill with my heart.†- The Gunslinger

Is it worth upgrading to a Paperwhite if you already have a Kindle? My only beef with my current device is that I need to use a bookcover with a built-in light, and the beam isn't effective towards the bottom of the screen. 

Gnome Assassin - Level 4

STR 7.75 | DEX 3.5 | STA 5.0 | CON 4.5 | WIS 4.0 | CHA 3.75

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

First Challenge  Second Challenge Third Challenge

If you don't have an issue spending the money on a Paperwhite, then yes it is worth the upgrade IMO. The light is excellent, fills the whole screen and is easily adjustable from near no background light to bright enough to use as a close up flashlight and everything in between.

Level 1 Shadowtouched Aasimar

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 1.5 | CON 2.5 | WIS 3 | CHA 4

Challenge : Current 0   Battle Log : "Stairs are the Devil!"

“I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. I aim with my eye.
I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. I shoot with my mind.
I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
I kill with my heart.†- The Gunslinger

My paperwhite is one of the best purchases I have ever made. No distractions from email or texts or internet, just reading and it's incredibly handy.

Agreed!

Is it worth upgrading to a Paperwhite if you already have a Kindle? My only beef with my current device is that I need to use a bookcover with a built-in light, and the beam isn't effective towards the bottom of the screen. 

really like mine :)

I have a Kindle Touch which I really, really love.  Especially after Amazon pushed a software upgrade which included a lot of the features of the Paperwhite's software.  I honestly expected them to abandon my version when they released the new version so it was a pleasant surprise.  I thought about upgrading to a Paperwhite but I saw so many negative reviews mentioning problems similar to what the OP mentioned that I balked.  I do wish I could read in low light on my Kindle, I wind up reading on my Android phone with a Kindle app in low light and the backlight hurts my eyes.  No one else has noticed similar issues to those mentioned by the OP?  I'm thinking at this point I have waited so long it might be better to just wait for the next generation.

Level 3 High Elf Enchanter in Half-Orc Illusion RAWR!

STR 2.5 : DEX 2 : STA 2 : CON 2.5 : WIS 5 : CHA 3.5First Challenge     Second Challenge     Current Challenge

Yeah, I wasn't keen to see the problems reported by the OP.... had to figure out what "OP" meant, but I got it. Pleased, though, to see the positive feedback by the others. For $ reasons, I think I'll wait to upgrade until my current Kindle "has an accident." Perhaps by that time there will be a still newer and more improved generation available for purchase!

Gnome Assassin - Level 4

STR 7.75 | DEX 3.5 | STA 5.0 | CON 4.5 | WIS 4.0 | CHA 3.75

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

First Challenge  Second Challenge Third Challenge