Forums are back in action! ×

Need a new TV show

Ok so this is SORT OF off topic, though it is work-out related.

I have an elliptical machine, and a TV with a Roku right in front of it.  I just finished the entire Battle Star Galactica series (only on the elliptical).  Which is great.  That's like 76 episodes x 45 minutes = 57 hours of working out.  

But now... well now I need a new show!  What I'm looking for:

1) an hour long (for tv) format.  That works out to about 44 minutes per episode.  That's great since I can set the elliptical for a 45 minute work out and they synch up nicely.  

2) something exciting.  Some talk is fine, but Mad Men or Downton Abbey is just not workout material.  I found I burned about 50 more calories on the exciting space battle episodes than on the more political-intrigue ones.  

3) available on Netflix

Suggestions I've gotten so far are "Breaking Bad" and "Dr. Who."  Open to suggestions (or votes for those or whatever).  Fire away!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Orc Ranger

Str: 7, Dex: 2, Sta: 7, Con 4, Wis: 1, Cha: 3

Eureka - one of my favorite shows - not action packed, but a fun show

Any Star Trek show

Fringe - just watched this for the first time today, so I don't know much about it

Level 1 Half-Elf Assassin
STR - 3 | DEX - 3 | STA - 2 | CON - 2 | WIS - 3 | CHA - 2

This life sentence that I'm serving, I admit that I am every bit deserving,
But the beauty of grace is that it makes life not fair. --- RelientK

If you haven't seen it, (or even if you have! a re-watch is always fun) Firefly. Only one season but I'll be damned if it ain't good. It fits most of your req's too!

I 2nd this!!  It sticks with you.  Then follow up with it's sibling-movie, Serenity.  <3  

On netflix, I've enjoyed BBC's Sherlock, How I met your Mother (no action, but engaging and funny,) and a few seasons of Nikita (there's a fair amount for ass-kicking in there.)  

How abotu the classics? John Camerons Dark Angel?

Serenity/Firefly was already named.

For some A-Team meats Oceans 1x i would recommend: Leverage

Less Action more conning: Hustle

Funny SciFi: Doctor Who

There is one rule, above all others, ... Whatever comes, face it on your feet.

Robert Jordan, The Great Hunt

Lvl 2 Half-Elf Ranger

STR:4 | DEX:2.5 | STA:5 | CON:3 | WIS:5 | CHA:3

Daily Grind

Story of a Ranger: 1st chapter, 2nd chapter, 3rd chapter, 4th chapter

+1 to the Fringe, firefly, and Farscape thoughts (and I totally didn't do that for the alliteration).

I'd also suggest Nikita. It's got 2 seasons on Netflix, and odds are the third will be up by the time you get around to it.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

What about The Walking Dead or Falling Skies?

Both post-apocalyptic series - which I personally love - with plenty of action.

Lever 3 Survivor - STR:5/DEX:2,75/STA:6/CON:3,5/WIS:3/CHA:1

Challenges: 1 | 2

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Robert Heinlein

Thanks all.  

Already watched Firefly, and I've covered Star Trek pretty well already too (both TOS and NextGen).  Maybe DS9?  I have heard that it gets good later in the run, but I dropped out of DS9 after getting bored after a few seasons.

Also already watched the IT Crowd (AWESOME!) and Red Dwarf.  

Is Walking Dead on Netflix?  Hmm might want to check that out.  

Walking Dead is on Netflix.

Something else you might check (not sure if it's on Netflix or not) is Haven. It's a great show. Its based on a Stephen King novel.

I know I mentioned Eureka before, but I'll recommend it again. It's a sci-fi original show and is truly entertaining. It kind of follows the Star Trek formula - big crisis threatens the world or the town, and they save the day at the last minute. All five seasons are on Netflix, too.

I'd also recommend Psych. It's a great crime show/comedy with lots of 80's references :-)

Level 1 Half-Elf Assassin
STR - 3 | DEX - 3 | STA - 2 | CON - 2 | WIS - 3 | CHA - 2

This life sentence that I'm serving, I admit that I am every bit deserving,
But the beauty of grace is that it makes life not fair. --- RelientK

If you haven't seen it, (or even if you have! a re-watch is always fun) Firefly. Only one season but I'll be damned if it ain't good. It fits most of your req's too!

First show that popped into mind was Firefly So WIN!

Eureka - one of my favorite shows - not action packed, but a fun show

Any Star Trek show

Fringe - just watched this for the first time today, so I don't know much about it

Eureka is great! and another season should be coming out soon I believe

What about The Walking Dead or Falling Skies?

Both post-apocalyptic series - which I personally love - with plenty of action.

Walking Dead is amazing! they need the 3rd season out on NEtflix now!

I would suggest

Burn Notice,

House,

Justice League if your into superheros,

Law and Order SVU,

Supernatural

and will try to think of more later

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

Eureka is great! and another season should be coming out soon I believe

I hate to be the bearer of bad news.... but unless you don't live in the US/are behind, Eureka was cancelled last season.  Not only that, it was a SHAFT of a cancel.  SyFy promised them one last full season, and then pulled out at the last second.  Really sucked, because you could tell that season 5 was setting up some epic two-season plots, and they had to get distilled into one or two episodes that were tacked on at the last moment to wrap things up.  So, so sad. :(

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Any & ALL Star Trek series. (avoid star wars, it sucks and causes diphtheria). Plus w/ 5 separate series w/ 3-7 season each you have plenty of watching.   I highly recommend seasons 4-7 of Deep Space 9, tons of Klingons & intergalactic war!!!

Sons of Anarchy, the most awesome show in tv today!!! And as an added bonus, no zombies!!!

Babylon 5.  Another totally awesome sci-fi series.

NYPD Blue.  Best cop show since Starsky & Hutch!!!

Nash Bridges.  Best cop show since Starsky & Hutch!!!  Added bonus, Nash drives a '71 Hemi-cuda convertible!!!

Dukes of Hazzard.  Most awesome non-Star Trek show in the history of non-Star Trek shows. Avoid the Coy & Vance season!!!

Starsky & Hutch.  Fords only really cool car, the Torino!!! 

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

I hate to be the bearer of bad news.... but unless you don't live in the US/are behind, Eureka was cancelled last season.  Not only that, it was a SHAFT of a cancel.  SyFy promised them one last full season, and then pulled out at the last second.  Really sucked, because you could tell that season 5 was setting up some epic two-season plots, and they had to get distilled into one or two episodes that were tacked on at the last moment to wrap things up.  So, so sad. :(

THOSE BASTARDS!!!!!!! I say we storm Global Dynamics and take hostages untill SYFY agrees to reinstate our show!

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Goal Weight 1000lbs

Can we also demand that they change their name back to Sci-Fi? I hate the new name.

yes. yes we can. but we will need mirical max to wish us luck storming the castle

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

Estemated 1RM

Goal Weight 1000lbs

I have no idea what's available on Netflix, but my votes are with TorchWood and Supernatural.  West wing is great, but not sure how hard it would be to follow during a workout and not much in the way of action.  I'm assuming that you've already seen Buffy/Angel if not they would be good too, or smallville.

Level 6, Ranger

Challenge I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X Current Challenge

My Sewing Blog

Never really took to Buffy honestly.  Dunno, lots of people who like the same shows I do love it, just never really liked it all that much.  Same thing happened with Malcom in the Middle back in the day.  Yeah, West Wing is just too talky.  It's a great show but not something I want to watch on the elliptical.  

I'mma try Walking Dead, as "getting chased by zombies" seems like a good show for working out.  Thanks for all the suggestions though!  If I keep working out I'm going to need them!

I second nominations for Dr. Who, Firefly, and Sherlock.

I don't know if Game of Thrones is on Netflix, but if it is, you should give it a spin. There's lots of intrigue-heavy episodes, but a decent mix of action in there as well.

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR [5] DEX [4.25] STA [3] CON [4] WIS [6] CHA [6.25]

Current Challenge

My Introduction

"Blood and sweat washes away pain and fear."

Current Challenge Goals:

I agree with most the shows that others have been saying!

Supernatural is available on Netflix. Its scary (well, the first season at least) and pretty action at times. I've enjoyed American Horror Story too, if you like that kind of stuff. I haven't seen it myself, but I've heard good things about Sons of Anarchy as well. 

Level 1 Half Elf Ranger

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 1

“Always dream and shoot higher than you know you can do. Do not bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors.

Try to be better than yourself.â€

but I've heard good things about Sons of Anarchy as well. 

Sons is one-half of the most awesome non-Star Trek TV shows in the entire history of non-Star Trek TV shows.  I am literally emotionally attached to this show. We got our Dish upgraded to dvr so when I rotate to night shift, I won't miss Sons. 

I'm am all about some SAMCRO!!!

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

Sons is one-half of the most awesome non-Star Trek TV shows in the entire history of non-Star Trek TV shows.  I am literally emotionally attached to this show. We got our Dish upgraded to dvr so when I rotate to night shift, I won't miss Sons. 

I wasn't planning on watching it, but now I think you convinced to start it. :)

Level 1 Half Elf Ranger

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 1

“Always dream and shoot higher than you know you can do. Do not bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors.

Try to be better than yourself.â€