Forums are back in action! ×

SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) anybody?

Hello good gentles, I'm just seeing how many other NF members participate in the SCA.

For those of you not in the know, the Society for Creative Anachronism (or SCA) is an educational organization focused on recreating the best parts of the European Middle Ages (approximately 600-1600 AD). We have everything from armored combat, to royalty, chivalry, music, tapestries and everything inbetween. If you're curious, check out the society website: www.sca.org 

Also, feel free to ask questions!

I hail from the sunny land of Atenveldt and have been playing regularly for about 6 years. I'm primarily into fiber arts and book heraldry.

Hope to meet some fellow "dreamers."

YIS,

Lady Elnor Howard

Greetings from the fair land of Lochac!

I've been 'dreaming' for nearly three years, and I'm into bardic stuff and voice heraldry :)

What period do you generally play?

YiS,

Líadan ingen Chein

Wow, you're a long way from Atenveldt! I went to look at Lochac's page and I noticed the queen has the same name, haha.:) How is it pronounced? 

Most of my garb is early period, but my name is late period (Tudor). Someday I will have the money and/ or resources to have a Tudor  gown made, but for now I keep it simple. 

My wife and I are lapsed SCAdians in Meridies.

With kids and other events we just haven't got out to any events in a while.

We attend Renaissance Festivals in garb, so we have plenty of late-period for that.

I prefer early to mid period England (everyone says BORING! unless they know about Alfred the Great), my wife prefers Kievan Rus.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

I've gone to events and made lots of garb but I'm not a active participant.  I'm planning to go to Estrella War next year because it's right near my house.

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

Secret Identity: Kristy

Level 4 Adventurer

STR 5.5 | DEX 5.25 | STA 5.5 | CON 8.75 | WIS 7 | CHA 2.5

Wow, you're a long way from Atenveldt! I went to look at Lochac's page and I noticed the queen has the same name, haha. :) How is it pronounced? 

Most of my garb is early period, but my name is late period (Tudor). Someday I will have the money and/ or resources to have a Tudor  gown made, but for now I keep it simple. 

It's LEE-ah-den, or LEE-ah-dawn.  I only realised after I registered that she and I have the same name :P  Oh, well.  She and I are in the same Barony, so it gets confusing...

I'm early period Irish all the way, but darn those Tudor gowns look pretty.  I've got a 15th Century Italian dress or two for when my College runs events and we all decide to dress up matching (like the Tavern Feast we did; we made wenching outfits, and rather dapper jerkins for the guys :D ), but early period is definitely easier and cheaper.

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

My wife and I are lapsed SCAdians in Meridies.

With kids and other events we just haven't got out to any events in a while.

We attend Renaissance Festivals in garb, so we have plenty of late-period for that.

I prefer early to mid period England (everyone says BORING! unless they know about Alfred the Great), my wife prefers Kievan Rus.

I don't find anything boring about mid-period English garb. It's functional and still different from what we wear modernly. I'm happy for people to play however they feel comfortable. :) Hope you can find the opportunity to play again soon!

I've gone to events and made lots of garb but I'm not a active participant.  I'm planning to go to Estrella War next year because it's right near my house.

Oooh...so you're from Atenveldt as well then! I haven't made it to Estrella at the new site yet. Being a teacher it's hard for me to take the time off. It'll probably be 2015 before I make it there again. 

It's LEE-ah-den, or LEE-ah-dawn.  I only realised after I registered that she and I have the same name :tongue:  Oh, well.  She and I are in the same Barony, so it gets confusing...

I'm early period Irish all the way, but darn those Tudor gowns look pretty.  I've got a 15th Century Italian dress or two for when my College runs events and we all decide to dress up matching (like the Tavern Feast we did; we made wenching outfits, and rather dapper jerkins for the guys :D ), but early period is definitely easier and cheaper.

Yeah I had a mix up with someone of the same name recently myself. It caused much confusion during court, haha. That's a very pretty name!

Oooh, yes I'd like a 15th century Italian dress too, but I'll stick with what I've got for now. Plus for me, new garb is a motivation to lose weight ;)

Love love love! I'm not a member or anything but I really enjoy attending things like this and do a fair bit of sewing so I have quite a bit of garb. I really should look into the local chapter now that I've moved.

Indeed! It's lots of fun. If you find the website for your local group, try to contact the Chatelaine or Seneschal and they can get you connected with the people near you. :)