Forums are back in action! ×

Beard appreciation thread

Trial and error.

Years ago, I started shaving exclusively with a Dovo straight razor. When I decided to grow an actual beard, it was easy to limit the shaving part to just my neck, and when I started to look shaggy I would use electric clippers with a guard to trim the hair. Ultimately I decided I didn't like the look so after lots of practice I got it down to comb and scissors. Except the neck, which is still straight razored.

Did I offer advice in my post?  Please keep the following in mind:

• I am not a doctor nor any other kind of medical professional.
  • I am not a lawyer.
  • I am not a mental health provider
  • I am not a nutritionist
  • Your mileage may vary
  • I don't do anything in moderation
  • I have lots of injuries & if you train like me, you probably will too.

so, just out of curiosity… where or how did you learned how to trim/give shape to your beard?

my dad only wears a moustache (and the one time he shaved it like 3 years ago still haunts me), and I was not living with them when I allowed my facial hair to thrive… so I could not learn from him (say thankee for papa google, sai).

same boat here.  never had anyone around to teach.  so... like Nubbins McGee - trial and error.  i use a safety razor now, so a bit more control than disposables. scissors to shape and electric trimmer to get the shorter bits.  i know folks like Ajaxus do the barber thing, and i'd imagine a barber would be able to give you tips as well.

Level 9 Snarky Rogue

STR:20 | DEX:13 | STA:13.5 | CON:13 | WIS:17 | CHA:16

battle log

there are far better things ahead than what we leave behind - CS Lewis

find out what you're afraid of, and go live there - Chuck Palahniuk 

Excellent news, Seven.

I've been contemplating a minor length sheering as the fullness of my cheeks is getting somewhat out of hand.  I'm going to make an appointment with my barber for Friday after the gym maybe.  If I can walk at that point.

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

I shaved mine off before Christmas (wanted a quiet life when heading home for the holidays) but I've just decided to grow it back again.  I've got a busy couple of months and not having to bother remembering to shave will make life that little bit easier! (It's all about the 1 percents :) )

So my question is this - at what point should I start trimming/shaving round the neck and the top of my cheeks?  One week?  Two?

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: Operation Wedding Suit - Take 2

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

I shaved mine off before Christmas (wanted a quiet life when heading home for the holidays) but I've just decided to grow it back again.  I've got a busy couple of months and not having to bother remembering to shave will make life that little bit easier! (It's all about the 1 percents :) )

So my question is this - at what point should I start trimming/shaving round the neck and the top of my cheeks?  One week?  Two?

I followed the advice on AoM...

"For most beginning beard growers, it is preferable just to stop shaving altogether and let everything grow for the first four weeks or so." 

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

I followed the advice on AoM...

"For most beginning beard growers, it is preferable just to stop shaving altogether and let everything grow for the first four weeks or so." 

That's what I did last time, but I looked a bit homeless and thought it might get mentioned at work.  I'm only five days in so far; I'll see how it looks at two weeks.

• Like 1

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: Operation Wedding Suit - Take 2

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

I made the mistake starting out on this beard by trying to set the lines too much/shape it.  I ended up having to go through an awkward stage where I let the cheeks fill back in where I had shaved them.

I have found that a natural cheek line is best.  I do "shave" the top edge..but only enough to remove the random stragglers..those few hairs that simply are off in their own world..at the end of the day tho that line looks natural and it is 100000% better than what I had going before..where I had carved out my cheek line.

As for below, the neck line, I am VERY lucky in that my neck beard is minimal..I honestly almost don't have to shave the neck line in because I am again not removing too much.  But for those not in my shoes, I have found that 1.5-2" past the bottom of my chin is a good point to start shaving, then I just follow the natural curvature of my jaw up the sides.  It's the best I can explain, honestly you just have to experiment til you find what works..my only big recommendation is that less is more.  Trim very little now, you can always trim more later if you don't like it..but going through that awkward stage because you trimmed too much..definitely not fun.

As for trimming once it is grown..as noted before I have seen a barber, one advantage of living in or near a big city is your barber should know a few things about beard trimming.  Notice I keep saying barber, do not go into a Salon or Spa and ask them to work on your beard..that's just blasphemous.

I have myself begun to do my own trimming, while I love my barber I have found it is hard for me to describe what I want in words..and given that the tremor in my hands has greatly lessened over the past few weeks I figured it was worth attempting.  I am still in the learning stages, I do most of my work with a comb and scissors, always after a fresh cleaning/drying, and I use an electric trimmer just for the fade (this was the part the barber never seemed to get right..I'm getting there).

I can say since I took over my own trimming that I am more satisfied with the results, and I do find myself using beard wax less frequently since I can now get my beard into the proper shape and simply keep it there with a little work each morning.

Edit: And while I am on the subject of trimming your own beard..am I the only one that has issues inverting what is seen in the mirror? No matter how many times I tell myself to do the opposite of what I see..my hands just don't respond and I keep orienting the scissors wrong..it's making trimming more difficult because it takes forever for me to hold the scissors just right to cut the way I want to..lol (no worries, I don't cut anything until the scissors are properly oriented..)

• Like 3

Personally, I shave my neck about once a week, and have the entire time I've had a beard.  But then, my neck beard is just terrible looking.  When I was keeping my beard short (~1/2in), I'd shave up to my jawline for a nice, clean look.  I'm currently growing it out to see how long I can stand it/keep it presentable and have cut back to only shaving the neck for a more full look.  I've also had to start cleaning up my cheeks to keep it from getting scraggly (currently ~1.5in long).  Of course, YMMV; I have a bright ginger beard, so it doesn't even show up until I've let it go a week or more.

• Like 1

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

I've ran the whole gauntlet of beard styles, from chin beard, goatee, jawline beard, full on 12 inch Viking beard, and now I've settled on something between jawline trim and Viking.  I keep most of the natural shape of my beard, only trimming to keep some order along the bottom of my jaw where it meets neck and the uppermost of my cheeks so there is some uniformity.  Otherwise I spot trim with clippers to keep my cheeks from growing too unruly and let it grow as long or short as I feel like.

I call my style 'Urban Viking.'  My beard is far past the length that is appropriate for the office or most civilized folks but there is some neatness and uniformity to it so I won't be accused of looking homeless.

• Like 2

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

That's what I did last time, but I looked a bit homeless and thought it might get mentioned at work.  I'm only five days in so far; I'll see how it looks at two weeks.

First 2 weeks is the "sexy scruffy look", then weeks 2-4 is "this guy is homeless or is working too much", weeks 5-6 are "This guy seriously thinks he can beard?", then after that it starts looking good. I shave a good bit in at the edges in weeks 0-4 to shape it and keep the scruff looking cleaner, then after that I let the lines slowly creep out such that now all I do is shave the outliing hairs on my cheeks every morning (it's literally like 8 hairs a side), and clean up the few pennisinulas on my neck line. I don't even need to use cream it's so little work, just wet the razor a little bit.

As for the guy that asked about trimmed and shaping yourself, it really is trial and error. I think I've got it semi figured out. Still working on it, but making progress. I have a trimmer set that goes all the way up to a #7 clipper attachment I think. I go over everything with the attachement the matches the longest I want my beard. Finidng what that is takes some experimenting as well. For me it's the #7. Then I pick the spot that needs the next shortest cut (everything about 1/2" outside goatee area) and hit that and EVRYTHING THAT ISN'T STAYING at #7, with the next lowest size. Step out again to where the #5 shortness is needed, and hit everything that isn't staying at a #6 or higher with that. My current process is something like:

#7: all the beard

#6: Everything 1/2" outside goatee area

#5: bottom half of neck, everything between the lines drawn vertically down from the outside of my eyes

#4: sideburns and down about 2"

#3: sideburns and down about 1"

#2: sideburns

#1: cleeaning up any more fading from the sideburns into my hairline

Repeat every 1-2 weeks

Where each of those increments starts is up to how you want the shape of your ebard to work. I'm actually getting mine longer right now, so I might step everything up a notch such that the #7 is where the #6 is, and everything currently cut with #7 only is just hit with scissors to trim outliers.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I wish I could stand my mustache getting like that. Looks great, but I hate getting the damn hair in my mouth and food.

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I wish I could stand my mustache getting like that. Looks great, but I hate getting the damn hair in my mouth and food.

Same! As soon as I get hair in my mouth the trimmer comes out

• I am not a lawyer.
  • Your mileage may vary

No words more true have ever been spoken.  #worldwidebeardproblems

Edit: And while I am on the subject of trimming your own beard..am I the only one that has issues inverting what is seen in the mirror? No matter how many times I tell myself to do the opposite of what I see..my hands just don't respond and I keep orienting the scissors wrong..it's making trimming more difficult because it takes forever for me to hold the scissors just right to cut the way I want to..lol (no worries, I don't cut anything until the scissors are properly oriented..)

In case it helps: While I'm not trying to trim a beard, I found from makeup that when I'm getting confused by my mirror image it helps to close my eyes (or just stop looking) to position my hands. Having two conflicting sources of feedback in regards to where my hands on (the physcial versus the visual/mirror), it helps to remove one element. After a while of that, I got to a point where my hands were well enough trained that they moved into position despite the seemingly conflicting message of the mirror. 

If you don't have a great sense of space, of course, lead with your fingertips, not the tip of your scissors. :D

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

I call my style 'Urban Viking.'  My beard is far past the length that is appropriate for the office or most civilized folks but there is some neatness and uniformity to it so I won't be accused of looking homeless.

I'm doing something like this..long enough that I can show my amazing beard off (and make the hipsters super jelly)..but short, groomed, and shaped enough that I don't appear homeless.   Eventually when I get into a new line of work (and out of the food industry) I will go for a full viking beard to see how it looks.  I honestly saw my doppelganger posted on fb the other day by a beard page..except he had the full viking beard..and now I want the same.  It is also really weird when you spot your doppelganger..

I'm presently battling this great beast..I love the look of the longer edges of the mustache layering over the top of my beard.  I may just have to keep experimenting with various waxes until I find one I like to keep the hair away from my mouth.

And now, it's that time of the day when the beard must be cleaned up and prepped for work.

• Like 1

I'm very disappointed that there is no article for "pogonophilia".

Uh oh, I've started going down the wikipedia whirlpool: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_facial_hairstyles

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625

I'm very disappointed that there is no article for "pogonophilia".

Write your own!  It's Wikipedia.  A college student will cite you in a paper someday.

• Like 2

• I am not a lawyer.
  • Your mileage may vary

Le sigh. I wish I could grow kickass beards like you guys. All I get are the patchy growths of a adolescent Mexican. I'm 25 and my facial hair grows just enough to look terrible and need to be shaved.

Dude, don't get discouraged and lose hope. Take it from an ex-adolescent Mexican. It can be done. I mean, that was me until I was like 28, and then I wore just a chin curtain for a couple of years because otherwise it was just too patchy... And even that took a long time to grow. but if you allow it to grow for enough time it might look good enough. Also remember that very few people will get as close to your face as you do to a mirror, so oftentimes you will feel like your beard is not "full" enough, but if you take a step back you'll notice it is better looking than what you think.

But better than that, consider the facial hair you have and choose something... the full beard is not for everyone. even a soul patch, a moustache or a goatee can look great, you'know? In fact I'm surprised that this thread does not contain more non-full beard photos..

Here is me back then... with my boy, when he was a lot younger than he is now:

DamianyYo.jpg

• Like 1

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft