Forums are back in action! ×

Keep growing this one. I'm not sure though if new people coming in feel compelled to read the whole thing-that might be a bit long.

I was thinking the museum would have some cool stuff for sale, but I guess they take the cool stuff to the new building. I hated kid board games. When my mom played Candyland with my son,  she gave out M & M's for each square, which I admit made it more fun, but probably wasn't the healthiest.:)

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

9 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

The dogs especially like to be next to/ on me when I try to do the Yoga-type stuff.

Yip, if I try to exercise on the mat they are there. They don't do it to hubby though, so I think who feeds them plays a role. Or they prefer to sleep 5am when he exercises a bit :D

9 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

This doesn't look like it was a good weekend fitness wise, but mentally I turned a corner.  I went from off-season to pre-season.  Is this log cumbersome for y'all? I'm wondering if I should start a new log or keep growing this one.

I'm ok with what ever you do. I just go on reading where you stopped the last time ;) Sounds like an awesome day that you got to spend with Slothgirl.

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

11 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I'd buy that elsewhere, but not the kitchen.  The dogs especially like to be next to/ on me when I try to do the Yoga-type stuff.

Well we have a rule which we keep to very strict, which is that the dog only receives food through has bowl. So even if the kids want to give him a treat i make them put it in his bowl. Even the stuff that falls on the floor in the kitchen gets picked up and thrown away or put in his bowl if it's eatable for him. We also try to watch what we give him as most stuff we (as humans) eat is much too salty for a dog.

With a result that the dog sometimes just goes to lay/sleep in the kitchen too cool off (cause we got no heating under the floor there). And we've got a dog that craves connection, no matter who's around he always has to lay somewhere where he's connected to someone, laying on the couch next to me. On the floor on someones feet. In the kitchen at the back of my feet.

But i get that some (most) dogs are looking for treats in the kitchen ;) 

• Like 2

... a little odd in the head ...

13 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Keep growing this one. I'm not sure though if new people coming in feel compelled to read the whole thing-that might be a bit long.

I was thinking the museum would have some cool stuff for sale, but I guess they take the cool stuff to the new building. I hated kid board games. When my mom played Candyland with my son,  she gave out M & M's for each square, which I admit made it more fun, but probably wasn't the healthiest.:)

Yes, I just jumped in very late - I generally have no idea what's going on but figure I'll catch up eventually!

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

This doesn't look like it was a good weekend fitness wise, but mentally I turned a corner.  I went from off-season to pre-season.  Is this log cumbersome for y'all? I'm wondering if I should start a new log or keep growing this one.

I like this one.

Isn't it cool when you turn those mental corners and you can feel it?

Also, loved Black Friday with SlothGirl.

• Like 3

Rebel Scum Current Challenge

16 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I wrestle with this dilemma occasionally and I can't claim to have an answer but I vote, do what's right for you. New readers will start at the end and read as much backlog as they feel like. I always hate finding a new challenge log but not being able to backtrack to older stuff. If you need to reboot for your own sake, to feel like you're turning a new page in life or something, go for it. 

• Like 1

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

19 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

This doesn't look like it was a good weekend fitness wise, but mentally I turned a corner.  I went from off-season to pre-season.

Mental fitness is every bit as important as physical fitness, and frequently harder to come by. I'd call the weekend a win!

• Like 3

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

On 11/24/2016 at 10:20 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Thanks.  It's been on a cycle of going out and getting seemingly better for a few weeks. There is a strong correlation with domestic rangering. 

This sounds like an excuse to get out of domestic rangering.  

21 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

This is excellent news.  

Your Black Friday tradition sounds nice.  I've just started taking Peach with me but it makes it difficult to get stuff for her at the same time.  I have finally trained her so that she won't snoop if I tell her I'm getting something for her.  I took something back last year that she knew she got.  Now she knows I'll actually return things if she snoops.

• Like 5

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

Just now, LadyShello said:

Your Black Friday tradition sounds nice.  I've just started taking Peach with me but it makes it difficult to get stuff for her at the same time.  I have finally trained her so that she won't snoop if I tell her I'm getting something for her.  I took something back last year that she knew she got.  Now she knows I'll actually return things if she snoops.

When my kids were younger, they were told to go up to their rooms while we brought in Christmas presents. They (of course) peeked, so their new bikes for Christmas went "back to the store". In reality, one of my roommates (whose truck we were using to transport the bikes) drove around the block and we snuck the bikes in a side door. 

To this day, my kids actually believe the original bikes were returned to the store and it was pure luck that someone else had bought them bikes for Christmas. But, they also have never tried to peek at Christmas presents again. 

• Like 5

Our boys usually ask for quite a number of things (those long, long lists), but somewhere along the line they say "this" is what they would really like from Father Christmas. Oh they know he isn't real, but it suites their purposes around Xmas time to "believe". I usually get "that thing they really want" (if affordable), and a smaller thing that is a surprise. For instance this year Youngest is getting a Skylander character he asked for, Oldest is getting a little remote control robot he has to build himself, and the surprise are Minion digital watches. Cheapies, but something to start with.

I usually try to gift wrap it as soon as it arrives via courier (I order online mostly because they are usually with me when I go to the shops), so even if they see the presents in the cupboards, they don't know what is inside, and they have never tried to open a gift. They were just too happy knowing there is something for them. On Christmas eve I put the gifts under the tree, so that when they wake up, its there. Unfortunately they don't sleep in, so opening Christmas gifts are normally a 5am affair.

My mil usually pays money into my account to buy them each something for Christmas as well, because she lives quite a distance away. So that is either a choice of receive the money, save it for something bigger, later, or I go buy something on their lists.

• Like 2

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

I peeked at my Christmas presents once as a kid - I knew where my mom hid them all so I saw them all unwrapped a week before Christmas - and it was exciting for about 30 minutes BUT I remember it distinctly because Christmas day was so unexciting and dull!!!  I knew what everything was!!!  BOORRIINNGG.  I was sad and vowed to never do it again.

I'd keep the log.  Full of memories and gifs and stuff. :)

• Like 2

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

22 minutes ago, shaar said:

I peeked at my Christmas presents once as a kid...Christmas day was so unexciting and dull!!!  I knew what everything was!!!  BOORRIINNGG....

ditto.

My wife can't keep a gift a secret so if you simply ask "what's you're family getting me for Christmas" and she'll say "I can't tell you..ok do you really want to know...it's..." So I don't ask. 

• Like 1

Aaaargh, no wifi. I'll try a proper respond later.

Monday: I did finish the Bodyweight workout. It's so short, and I can do it anywhere, there's never a reason not to do it.

Tuesday: Mrs. Sloth's birthday.

It was a good dayTM. School was good mostly because I stole Tank's method and decided it would be good.

We adopted out Bonita the scruffy terrier. The new owners are from a posh suburb and were conflicted between a show dog and being do-gooder and getting a rescue. I think they'll be happy.

We got a babysitter (which we rarely do) and went for Thai/ Sushi. At Soberfish for the local nerds. I thought the sushi was okay, if I had a more sensitive palate I might have been disappointed. They had a seasonal special of pork belly fried rice; I might go back for that. Afterwards cake and presents.

Cardio day. I got the trainer area set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 10

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

12 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

We got a babysitter (which we rarely do) and went for Thai/ Sushi. At Soberfish for the local nerds. I thought the sushi was okay, if I had a more sensitive palate I might have been disappointed. They had a seasonal special of pork belly fried rice; I might go back for that. Afterwards cake and presents.

I keep trying to talk Laura into trying Soberfish but we really like the bartender at Masu and it gives us a chance to do a little other shopping so we keep going there. Pork belly rice sounds good.

On November 28, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Keep the log going.

Will do, thanks.

On November 28, 2016 at 4:14 PM, Elastigirl said:

New goal, make this thread long enough to crash Tapatalk like the old men's thread. I can't imagine anyone would want to read this whole thing. 

I thought that the museum would have a lot of redundancies that they'd want to sell rather then move. There are actually a lot. Of hipster run junk shops in the area that sell weird taxidermy and stuff in formaldehyde jars, I Just don't want to pay that kind of price for some thing that'll sit on a shelf to get dusted. 

On November 28, 2016 at 11:29 PM, elizevdmerwe said:

Yip, if I try to exercise on the mat they are there. They don't do it to hubby though, so I think who feeds them plays a role. Or they prefer to sleep 5am when he exercises a bit :D

I'm ok with what ever you do. I just go on reading where you stopped the last time ;) Sounds like an awesome day that you got to spend with Slothgirl.

Weird, our dogs will mob anyone on the floor.

Thanks. 

On November 29, 2016 at 0:47 AM, mr_willes said:

Well we have a rule which we keep to very strict, which is that the dog only receives food through has bowl. So even if the kids want to give him a treat i make them put it in his bowl. Even the stuff that falls on the floor in the kitchen gets picked up and thrown away or put in his bowl if it's eatable for him. We also try to watch what we give him as most stuff we (as humans) eat is much too salty for a dog.

With a result that the dog sometimes just goes to lay/sleep in the kitchen too cool off (cause we got no heating under the floor there). And we've got a dog that craves connection, no matter who's around he always has to lay somewhere where he's connected to someone, laying on the couch next to me. On the floor on someones feet. In the kitchen at the back of my feet.

But i get that some (most) dogs are looking for treats in the kitchen ;) 

Oh that makes sense. we keep to the "if it hits the floor it belongs to the dogs" rule. It makes dinner clean up a lot easier.  The foster dogs are usually half-starved when they get here and are terrible beggars, but our dog Arlo will usually nap through dinner and then Hoover up the floor by the kid's chairs afterward. 

On November 29, 2016 at 5:18 AM, LouCarJo said:

Yes, I just jumped in very late - I generally have no idea what's going on but figure I'll catch up eventually!

I'm sure you're already caught up. At least you would be if I could get back to posting regularly. 

On November 29, 2016 at 6:12 AM, EricMN said:

I like this one.

Isn't it cool when you turn those mental corners and you can feel it?

Also, loved Black Friday with SlothGirl.

Thanks. It's funny, when I was a kid I could start preseason after St. Patrick's day and be ready to race.  Last year I hit it at New Year's and still wasn't ready. 

On November 29, 2016 at 7:07 AM, The Most Loathed said:

I wrestle with this dilemma occasionally and I can't claim to have an answer but I vote, do what's right for you. New readers will start at the end and read as much backlog as they feel like. I always hate finding a new challenge log but not being able to backtrack to older stuff. If you need to reboot for your own sake, to feel like you're turning a new page in life or something, go for it. 

No, I don't feel like I need to start a new page of my life.  i'll keep this one going.  If any lost NFers, like BearLee, come back I'll be easier to find anyway. 

On November 29, 2016 at 10:16 AM, jstanlick said:

Mental fitness is every bit as important as physical fitness, and frequently harder to come by. I'd call the weekend a win!

Hah.  Thanks. 

On November 29, 2016 at 0:16 PM, LadyShello said:

This sounds like an excuse to get out of domestic rangering.  

This is excellent news.  

:)  I've been suggesting finding a cleaning person for a while. I don't notice when we need to deep clean which makes Mrs. Sloth angry for some reason. 

Yah, I liked when Slothgirl was little and she'd marvel over something and I could buy it without her noticing. Mine aren't snoopy yet. 

On November 29, 2016 at 0:20 PM, Sylvaa said:

When my kids were younger, they were told to go up to their rooms while we brought in Christmas presents. They (of course) peeked, so their new bikes for Christmas went "back to the store". In reality, one of my roommates (whose truck we were using to transport the bikes) drove around the block and we snuck the bikes in a side door. 

To this day, my kids actually believe the original bikes were returned to the store and it was pure luck that someone else had bought them bikes for Christmas. But, they also have never tried to peek at Christmas presents again. 

:) they never tried to peek that you know of. 

On November 30, 2016 at 1:07 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

Our boys usually ask for quite a number of things (those long, long lists), but somewhere along the line they say "this" is what they would really like from Father Christmas. Oh they know he isn't real, but it suites their purposes around Xmas time to "believe". I usually get "that thing they really want" (if affordable), and a smaller thing that is a surprise. For instance this year Youngest is getting a Skylander character he asked for, Oldest is getting a little remote control robot he has to build himself, and the surprise are Minion digital watches. Cheapies, but something to start with.

I usually try to gift wrap it as soon as it arrives via courier (I order online mostly because they are usually with me when I go to the shops), so even if they see the presents in the cupboards, they don't know what is inside, and they have never tried to open a gift. They were just too happy knowing there is something for them. On Christmas eve I put the gifts under the tree, so that when they wake up, its there. Unfortunately they don't sleep in, so opening Christmas gifts are normally a 5am affair.

My mil usually pays money into my account to buy them each something for Christmas as well, because she lives quite a distance away. So that is either a choice of receive the money, save it for something bigger, later, or I go buy something on their lists.

A remote control robot sounds awesome. My kids still believe in Santa. Which means we have to hide the presents, wrapped or not. My MIL usually buys them something expensive in the summer and tells them it's their Christmas present and then frets because she doesn't have a present for them under the tree. This year she got them build-a-bears as extra presents that they can open. 

On November 30, 2016 at 9:20 AM, shaar said:

I peeked at my Christmas presents once as a kid - I knew where my mom hid them all so I saw them all unwrapped a week before Christmas - and it was exciting for about 30 minutes BUT I remember it distinctly because Christmas day was so unexciting and dull!!!  I knew what everything was!!!  BOORRIINNGG.  I was sad and vowed to never do it again.

I'd keep the log.  Full of memories and gifs and stuff. :)

:)  When I was a kid my parents used to buy Christmas presents for my cousins who were dirt poor, maybe poorer.  I didn't know that at the time and I was a snooper. On Christmas I'd be disappointed because the presents I saw weren't there. I think those presents were poorly hidden while mine were expertly hidden in order to keep the surprise. 

On November 30, 2016 at 10:03 AM, The Most Loathed said:

ditto.

My wife can't keep a gift a secret so if you simply ask "what's you're family getting me for Christmas" and she'll say "I can't tell you..ok do you really want to know...it's..." So I don't ask. 

:)  that's like us in reverse. 

On December 1, 2016 at 0:18 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

Hope Mrs. Sloth had a great day, Tuesday! And glad you had a good day at school.

Thanks.  I think she did. 

On December 1, 2016 at 7:20 AM, The Most Loathed said:

I keep trying to talk Laura into trying Soberfish but we really like the bartender at Masu and it gives us a chance to do a little other shopping so we keep going there. Pork belly rice sounds good.

It has a nice atmosphere. I'm not picky, but the food seems good. I've never tried Masu; if we're in that neighborhood we're going to Kramarczuk's for big sausage and perogies. 

• Like 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Wednesday and Thursday were a bust. I was a sleep-deprived mess. I was literally, not figuratively, stumbling around into walls like I was drunk.  Which is weird because I've gotten at least four hours of sleep each night for quite a while and usually don't hit that stage until I've had three or more sub-two hour nights in a row.  School was still good.  Using Tank's method of deciding it will be good seems to be working, 'cause the kids are kind of bonkers right now.  We really haven't had a consistent schedule yet this year and everyone is having a hard time getting in to the groove. 

sleepy-sloth-1300x793.jpg

12/3/16 Friday

It was a good dayTM. There was a girl fight at lunch which ended up involving a good chunk of the girls.  I like it better when boys fight. Then it's just the two boys, no one else feels compelled to get involved, and they're friends again almost as soon as they're pulled apart. After school the kids and the wife were at different school functions.  I got a couple of hours to just lay around on the floor with the dogs and play a small Civilization-type game. 

men-girls-fighting-meme-pics.jpg

It was nerd night.  We played Cards Against Humanity. It was my first time.  I didn't really care for it.  I'm not really one for gratuitous grossness or sexual depravity. Despite being overly liberal I'm personally prudish. We also played Forbidden Desert.  I liked it, but it's one of those games were something bad is constantly happening to you.  It wasn't engaging for our blind player so I doubt it'll show up again.  

Training happened. I did the push-ups, inverted rows, forgot the core. At the end I remembered, but said, "meh" and moved on with my life.

I've been playing around with one-legged squats (Cossack, partial pistols, assisted pistols) and finally settled on split-squats.  I think this is the squat my back can handle without tightening up like a harp string. I omitted the reverse lunge because they are so similar.  However balance is the limiting factor.  I did 3X7/7.  I think I'll have to keep lunges in to keep the volume up until I finally learn the squat. 

• Like 8

Interesting to hear how girl fights are different than boy fights. I read somewhere on the interwebz that if you have trouble balancing for lunges, that means your core is weak. Are split squats like shrimp or bulgarian squats? You can hold on to something when you do them to help.

• Like 1

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

On 11/30/2016 at 7:34 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I thought the sushi was okay, if I had a more sensitive palate I might have been disappointed. They had a seasonal special of pork belly fried rice; I might go back for that.

8 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

It has a nice atmosphere. I'm not picky, but the food seems good.

Nothing wrong with enjoying things that taste good. Doesn't have to be fancy. But I have a feeling I'm preaching to the choir.

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

On December 3, 2016 at 2:24 PM, Elastigirl said:

Interesting to hear how girl fights are different than boy fights. I read somewhere on the interwebz that if you have trouble balancing for lunges, that means your core is weak. Are split squats like shrimp or bulgarian squats? You can hold on to something when you do them to help.

I had to google shrimp squat, looked easy enough, nope not even close.  I categorize it as impossible. 

I'm doing Bulgarian Split Squats. It could be my core, it's pretty weak.  I've noticed I have much better balance if my hands are in front of me as if I'm grabbing a handle bar, turn my hands vertically and I lose my balance again. Weird. 

the-6-best-bodyweight-exercies-your-not-

22 hours ago, Xena said:

Nothing wrong with enjoying things that taste good. Doesn't have to be fancy. But I have a feeling I'm preaching to the choir.

I'm a big fan of simple fare. 

• Like 3

12/3/16 Saturday

it was a good day.  After circus class the kids went to a crafting class and made presents for their grandparents.  I was going to use the time to ride outside, but the previous night's Popeye's fried chicken convinced me to stay home. 

image.png?w=500&c=1

Mrs. Sloth and I instead sat around and drank coffee and talked about the stupid stuff we were looking at on the Internet.  It was nice. After the kids got home they spent the rest of the day crafting (Slothgirl made a Yoda house out of the stuff in our recycling can and hot glue) and playing Legos. That was also nice. 

Training: I rode the trainer for 45 minutes while watching "The Force Awakens".  The focus was leg speed.  I want to get back to a consistent 90rpm before I focus on cardio output. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlIdqBhyg-spn3Bu6sSls

#lifegoals

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I had to google shrimp squat, looked easy enough, nope not even close.  I categorize it as impossible. 

I'm doing Bulgarian Split Squats. It could be my core, it's pretty weak.  I've noticed I have much better balance if my hands are in front of me as if I'm grabbing a handle bar, turn my hands vertically and I lose my balance again. Weird. 

the-6-best-bodyweight-exercies-your-not-

I'm a big fan of simple fare. 

Sounds like you just need to imagine that you are bicyclining while doing your squats and your balance will be fine.:)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Sounds like you just need to imagine that you are bicyclining while doing your squats and your balance will be fine.:)

That's what I do :)

12/4/16 Sunday

It was a good day.  While I was taking care of my morning constitutional I made the mistake of reading the comments on an article in the local paper about the mall.  They were filled with the N word, racial words I wasn't even aware of, and talk of a boycott.  This compelled me to do my Christmas shopping at the mall despite an Amazon list that was already populated.  The kids are getting Legos, StepSloth is getting a Cold Steel Katana machete (had to order that), Stepsloth girlfriend is getting the game Tokaido, nephews are getting hoodies, sister is getting native jewelry, and I still don't know what I'll get my dad or Mrs. Sloth.

After the mall we went to see The Nut Cracker at Slothboy's dance company.  I fell asleep.  The kids really enjoyed it though.  And finally more Thai food for dinner.

ETA: Slothboy really loves dancing, it might be his thing, but he's finally noticing that he's the only boy in his classes.  It was good for him to see other boys and men dancing. 

Training: I did the warm up, but when I started to train my shoulders objected.  I swapped in bike riding instead and rode another 45 minutes while watching the rest of The Force Awakens.

• Like 10