Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Oh god. I am my own living example today folks.

Apparently this gentleman at work has been flirting with me for a few weeks now and I had no idea. My BOSS asked me if I needed him to step in when 'the guy is hitting on you', and I was like 'wait, what? Someone's hitting on me?'.

So now a few coworkers are laughing their butts off at me now because although I am moderately intelligent, I am apparently also hopelessly stupid :hopelessness:

• Like 5

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

"You sir, are NO gentleman!"

Ugh, so true. The guy even knows I'm married. Apparently I'm just his type.

You want to REALLY laugh at me? Now that I'm thinking back on a few conversations, I can't see how I missed his flirting at me.

Him: "I like the way you think. I could marry a girl with that kind of mind set."

Yep. I didn't pick up on THAT.

*hangs head in shame*

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

"You sir, are NO gentleman!"

That would depend entirely upon whether the gentleman in question knew she was married......

OK, work story time for me:

Back in the late 1980's-early 1990s I was on my first (computer) consulting gig.  I was in my late 20s, and got the job of making some changes for a guy who was nearing retirement age.  After discussing the changes he needed, he tells me I have nice eyes.  Odd, but whatever.  Next time I see him and I'm going over some stuff with him, he puts his arm around my shoulders.  I'm not a particularly touchy-feely person, and don't care to be touched by people I don't know well, but I also grew up in a predominantly Italian neighborhood so I'm no stranger to men being demonstrative (it's not uncommon for Italian men to kiss their fathers, brothers, and other male relatives on the mouth).  Next time I see him he mentions that he's gay, THEN it clicked for me.  I asked my manager if he'd neglected to warn me about (name redacted), and he replied "Did he hit on you?  Next time bring (female co-worker) with you, that'll keep him away from you."  So whenever I dealt with him again I brought a female bodyguard with me.

Oh, lest you think I should have made an HR stink, the OFFICIAL policy of many companies at the time was that sexual harassment didn't happen to straight men, so complaints by men were routinely ignored.  Especially if the harasser was a member of a protected group like gay.  So had I complained my complaint would have been ignored, he then could have complained that MY complaint was because I was anti-gay and I'd have been fired.

Fairly certain if someone like you flirted with me I'd have that stunned rabbit in a headlight look.

Usually the reaction I get. "You did not just say that." And then a melee ensues.

So fun story about flirting in the gym!!

I'm about 30-45 minutes into my workout and standing in a corner near a hallway (not in the way though) doing shoulder raises for kicks.  One of the trainers that I've been kinda wanting to ask out for a long damn time walks by...

Did you say something cool and walk away?

It doesn't even matter what you say; it's how you say it.

• Like 3

Usually the reaction I get. "You did not just say that." And then a melee ensues.

LOL, no fighting I promise. It's just that generally I don't get hit on by hot people. Also amusingly, I get hit on by a lot of women even though I'm straight. I'm even more oblivious to when women flirt with me than when men do. How that's a survival instinct I don't know though.

Because of my proximity to the front of the suite and the break room I get to bear witness to the guy-from-proposals-who-doesn't-make-eye-contact flirt shamelessly with the recently divorced receptionist/office manager just about every day.   She's appears to be completely clueless as well, though I suspect that a lot of women have developed the facade of cluelessness so as not to hurt guy's feelings.  

Did I offer advice in my post?  Please keep the following in mind:

• I am not a doctor nor any other kind of medical professional.
  • I am not a lawyer.
  • I am not a mental health provider
  • I am not a nutritionist
  • Your mileage may vary
  • I don't do anything in moderation
  • I have lots of injuries & if you train like me, you probably will too.

Because of my proximity to the front of the suite and the break room I get to bear witness to the guy-from-proposals-who-doesn't-make-eye-contact flirt shamelessly with the recently divorced receptionist/office manager just about every day.   She's appears to be completely clueless as well, though I suspect that a lot of women have developed the facade of cluelessness so as not to hurt guy's feelings.  

Good point. Oftentimes playing clueless is the safest way out. God knows how many of my friends have tried to politely decline a guy in their lives only for said guy to get verbally hostile.

I will assume you mean, "I would prefer to keep everything professional."

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

LOL, no fighting I promise. It's just that generally I don't get hit on by hot people. Also amusingly, I get hit on by a lot of women even though I'm straight. I'm even more oblivious to when women flirt with me than when men do. How that's a survival instinct I don't know though.

I think I tend to flirt even harder when it's the same sex. That or I'm just much more confident (hence increasing the effectiveness).

tumblr_kyomu8Pwuo1qa12hvo1_500.jpg

• Like 2

I think I tend to flirt even harder when it's the same sex. That or I'm just much more confident (hence increasing the effectiveness).

tumblr_kyomu8Pwuo1qa12hvo1_500.jpg

Ah yes, the paradox. If I am oblivious it's funny, but when I am purposefully trying to flirt; it's dangerous. I don't break out the big guns often but when I do, prepare yourself for innuendo city.

• Like 1

Very true- though I'm mostly clueless most of the time when talking to people. I don't think I've ever had anyone hit on me at the gym though- I have angry sweaty face going on in spin and then I'm usually in the weight area with a female trainer which I'm usually talking to throughout. 

Though on the weekends there is a guy who won't stop telling myself and my trainer that we could be sisters. Not sure if he doesn't remember that he's told us this for the last like 9 weeks or if we just haven't responded in a fashion he deems appropriate yet. 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

Very true- though I'm mostly clueless most of the time when talking to people. I don't think I've ever had anyone hit on me at the gym though- I have angry sweaty face going on in spin and then I'm usually in the weight area with a female trainer which I'm usually talking to throughout. 

Though on the weekends there is a guy who won't stop telling myself and my trainer that we could be sisters. Not sure if he doesn't remember that he's told us this for the last like 9 weeks or if we just haven't responded in a fashion he deems appropriate yet. 

Tell him that you are actually identical cousins. see what he says then

• Like 3

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

So............not the eyes.  (unless eyelids count?)

only when you blink

• Like 2

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

So I used to think I was the only one who could tell instantly if someone was flirting with someone else but have to have it spelled out for me if it was happening to me. After reading the last few pages it's nice to know I'm not alone lol

It's friday so the 'I don't pick up on flirting when it's directed at me' group will be meeting at the bar around 6 pm.

• Like 4

It's friday so the 'I don't pick up on flirting when it's directed at me' group will be meeting at the bar around 6 pm.

Hell of a place to meet up at... maybe we can point it out to each other since we seem to pick up on that.

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Hell of a place to meet up at... maybe we can point it out to each other since we seem to pick up on that.

They say that practice makes perfect. Of course I'm off the market for picking up but I can definitely help point out the obvious to the oblivious.

They say that practice makes perfect. Of course I'm off the market for picking up but I can definitely help point out the obvious to the oblivious.

I can see it now, a bunch of Sheldon's running around "Was that one?"

• Like 2

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Well I missed the meeting. Damn being an Aussie and living in the future! Haha

But yes I would probably also miss what bar you guys are all hanging at. Even with the neon flashing signs and rubber mallets smacking me in the face...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Autocorrect is most likely at fault for errors.

• Like 1

Dunno who "they" are, but they're wrong.  Practice makes permanent.  

I could certainly use the help seeing the obvious though.  Preferably at a time early enough to actually do something about it!  

• Like 2

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™