Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

I've been thinking, to keep my motivation up over the next few months, especially over my second cut (the first one ended two weeks in when I got food poisoning, but was poorly though out anyway) which starts in around a month, at some point every weekend I'm going to watch a get psyched movie. What is a get psyched movie? I'm glad you asked, rhetorical device. I'm talking a movie that you finish watching and immediately want to go lift every heavy thing you can find; maybe it's got some awesome non-CGI fight scenes (sorry, Matrix: Reloaded, you don't make the cut) like in Ong Bak or Enter The Dragon, maybe the star was in unbelievable shape like in 300 or Fight Club, maybe there's a hardcore training montage like in Rocky (or Rocky 2, or Rocky 3, or...). Whatever the reason for it's 'get-psychedness', it gets you psyched. Anyone got any suggestions for must-see get psyched movies?

• Like 1

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

I've been thinking, to keep my motivation up over the next few months, especially over my second cut (the first one ended two weeks in when I got food poisoning, but was poorly though out anyway) which starts in around a month, at some point every weekend I'm going to watch a get psyched movie. What is a get psyched movie? I'm glad you asked, rhetorical device. I'm talking a movie that you finish watching and immediately want to go lift every heavy thing you can find; maybe it's got some awesome non-CGI fight scenes (sorry, Matrix: Reloaded, you don't make the cut) like in Ong Bak or Enter The Dragon, maybe the star was in unbelievable shape like in 300 or Fight Club, maybe there's a hardcore training montage like in Rocky (or Rocky 2, or Rocky 3, or...). Whatever the reason for it's 'get-psychedness', it gets you psyched. Anyone got any suggestions for must-see get psyched movies?

If you have netflix, I highly recommend the Ip Man movie series. Wonderful hands on martial arts fights scenes and some good story lines too.

Another good one is Raze, it's like the typical modern gladiator only starring women.

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

I like the mindless action/adventure movies for this, lots of fighting, explosions (Not Michael Bay levels) and action. F&F works, 300... stuff like that.

Then there's particular scenes. The water tank scene from Wolverine: Origins for example, the movie was ok, but that scene is just so ungodly badass.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

They say that practice makes perfect. Of course I'm off the market for picking up but I can definitely help point out the obvious to the oblivious.

6pm Toronto time?  What are we calling our Safe Zone?

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

6pm Toronto time?  What are we calling our Safe Zone?

If that's the group consensus why not? As for safe zone, why not Nerd Fitness Oblivious Squad?

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

Inspirational Movies? My favorite is the two part "The Mentality" videos. You know it's good when a youtube seach for powerlifting has it as the 3rd result. It's how I always find it when I want it.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

The first movie that comes to mind for me is Warrior.  Absolutely fantastic movie.  

• Like 2

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Why oblivious?

Because from the sounds of it, several of us miss it when someone is flirting with us even AFTER we've been literally hit upside the head with evidence.

• Like 2

I would suggest the undisputed series for pump movies, especially the third. Yuri boyka (character name) is an absolutely bad ass Russian. If watching him won't make you want to work out I don't know what will 06e9932bb542ffd8befa52b7f77fefa1.jpg that is Yuri

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

Because from the sounds of it, several of us miss it when someone is flirting with us even AFTER we've been literally hit upside the head with evidence.

I was hoping you wouldn't catch it... :-D

• Like 2

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

I was in the gym earlier and noticed that my blood is still on the floor from Moneay when I cut my finger and it bled like a motherfucker.

I'm liking your gym

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

Yeah, I keep getting my blood on the bar when I deadlift...any advise so I can keep lifting without ripping the scab off my shin? 

(yes, I always wipe the bar down after I've used it and no, I have to transmitted diseases)

Two transmitted diseases?  Or no transmitted diseases?

• Like 1

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Want to play?  MFPvP

Yeah, I keep getting my blood on the bar when I deadlift...any advise so I can keep lifting without ripping the scab off my shin? 

(yes, I always wipe the bar down after I've used it and no, I have no transmitted diseases)

High socks. Knee sleeves pulled down. Double socks. Shin guards.

Tweaking your form

I was in the gym earlier and noticed that my blood is still on the floor from Moneay when I cut my finger and it bled like a motherfucker.

There's a person shaped dent in the dry wall at my workplace gym. Every newbie asks about it, and the explaination is hilarious:

A couple of years ago a few of the younger military men got into a weight lifting competition with each other, snatching, cleans, jerks, every move to try and one up each other. Including overhead press. Well they were each determined to haul more weight than the guy before. For the last round of over head press, one of the guys grabs a plate and starts just giving it hell, sweating, grunting, groaning, shaking and struggling. So his competitor is just determined to haul the weight this guy is doing and actually rips it out of the other guy's hands.

The thing is, it's just a very big 10 kg weight plate, the guy had been faking it because he knew his buddy would grab the weight.

So the competitor who grabbed the weight, hauling on it and expecting it to be super heavy went FLYING backwards when the weight turned out to be super light, and he slammed into the dry wall, thus leaving the person shaped dent.

Moral of the story: never grab weight off of someone unless you're ready to handle them properly

moral of the moral: never trust your friends, they're little shits.

• Like 8

I totally do this too, I know what's happening with everyone else, but have no radar for when someone's flirting with me.  I once was even talking to someone about it and the joke was made that I needed to just be hit over the head; this guy who was listening to our conversation picked up roll of paper and whacked me over the head with it.  Not kidding, I brushed his hand away and said, "what are you doing?" and continued with the conversation.  He slumped down in his seat and looked all defeated, and it wasn't until three months later that I figured out what happened.  

A solid object might have worked, like a 2x4.  A roll of paper is not solid enough.

Because from the sounds of it, several of us miss it when someone is flirting with us even AFTER we've been literally hit upside the head with evidence
  • Like 1

Spoiler

Want to play?  MFPvP

You know, I always wondered why women I was talking to kept bumping their knee against mine.  I kept moving over, trying to give them enough room, but they still kept bumping into me.......

• Like 2

There's a person shaped dent in the dry wall at my workplace gym. Every newbie asks about it, and the explaination is hilarious:

A couple of years ago a few of the younger military men got into a weight lifting competition with each other, snatching, cleans, jerks, every move to try and one up each other. Including overhead press. Well they were each determined to haul more weight than the guy before. For the last round of over head press, one of the guys grabs a plate and starts just giving it hell, sweating, grunting, groaning, shaking and struggling. So his competitor is just determined to haul the weight this guy is doing and actually rips it out of the other guy's hands.

The thing is, it's just a very big 10 kg weight plate, the guy had been faking it because he knew his buddy would grab the weight.

So the competitor who grabbed the weight, hauling on it and expecting it to be super heavy went FLYING backwards when the weight turned out to be super light, and he slammed into the dry wall, thus leaving the person shaped dent.

Moral of the story: never grab weight off of someone unless you're ready to handle them properly

moral of the moral: never trust your friends, they're little shits.

There's currently a broken mirror out there, from where I challenged a guy to "Kick me harder" while we were training, I had one of those big pads than you cover your chest with and we were practicing front kicks... needless to say he whomped me good, my base wasn't sturdy enough and I went backwards until I heard "Kshhh".

• Like 4

My first challenge