Forums are back in action! ×

Feeling like an adult

Hopefully this isn't too far off topic. But sometimes I feel like an adult because I'm worrying about my weight and what I eat and having nightmares about being late for work. Then other times I think "nope I guess I'm still a child." such as my dream last night where I was spiderman fighting a dinosaur. I'm sure anyone else in their early/mid twenties know the feeling. Hell some of the older members of the rebellion probably feel the same.

• Like 6

Welcome to the nerd world.  We're all a shameless mix of kid and adult here.  I pretend to be a Jedi to coerce myself into doing my meditation.  I pretend to be Link when I'm hiking, and I look in logs and under rocks to see what I can find.  I pay bills and go to work just so I can maintain my private hideout (cleverly disguised as an ordinary apartment, to fool the capitalist overlords) where I can eat leftovers for breakfast and toast for dinner and keep pet reptiles and make blanket forts and read with a flashlight any damn time I please.  I turned 31 this year.  Being an adult is great.  You have to work more but playtime is even better.

• Like 3

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

As someone in his early 20's (21, 3 months and 14 days) sometimes i feel under leveled, sometimes i feel like i can one hit anything. The process from kid to adult was not in the tutorial and it seems the hardest one. So you're not alone, i feel your pain, brother from another mother. I like to think about it like an RPG. while you level up, also your armor, weapons and skills get better. The process of dressing better for example, was a lot easier when i looked at it that way (Getting rid of my LOTR t-shirts was hard) and i see the results now :)

"He was dark-haired as his mother, and promised to be like her in mood also; for he was not merry, and spoke little, though he learned to speak early and ever seemed older than his years. Túrin was slow to forget injustice or mockery; but the fire of his father was also in him, and he could be sudden and fierce. Yet he was quick to pity, and the hurts or sadness of living things might move him to tears."

Just because you grow older and mature doesn't mean you have to shun imagination. The adults I have met that think being adult is 100% serious are some of the most miserable people I have met. You might have to work hard at adulting but you can still play hard too. A lot of it is figuring what is appropriate for which situation. I may have to wear scrubs and sensible hair/make-up on the job, but my off days I can rock red lipstick, go to counter-culture events or geek-out at home in my TMNT gear if I so choose. Climbing trees and rocks doesn't make me less adult; it just means I haven't lost my sense of adventure and fun.

• Like 2

Mama Gnome, Healer and Crafter

Keeper of the Five Hobbits

All Around Awesome

On 2016-12-13 at 3:27 AM, Raincloak said:

Welcome to the nerd world.  We're all a shameless mix of kid and adult here.  I pretend to be a Jedi to coerce myself into doing my meditation.  I pretend to be Link when I'm hiking, and I look in logs and under rocks to see what I can find.  I pay bills and go to work just so I can maintain my private hideout (cleverly disguised as an ordinary apartment, to fool the capitalist overlords) where I can eat leftovers for breakfast and toast for dinner and keep pet reptiles and make blanket forts and read with a flashlight any damn time I please.  I turned 31 this year.  Being an adult is great.  You have to work more but playtime is even better.

...I am going to apply this fictional character filter to my life for the next challenge right now.

When you pretend to be Link, though, do you go into people's houses and break all their pots?

I'm 34 and I still haven't grown up, and what's more... I don't intend to! :P 

Obviously there are times where I need to be sensible but as long as my bills are paid on time, I'm not running up debts, and my living space is clean and tidy then I'm good. The rest of the time I act my shoe size. :D 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.  (Attributed to both Ben Franklin and George Bernard Shaw)

Personally, I bought a house because my apartment had run out of room for new toys and to get a backyard to eventually build a Ninja Warrior course.  One of the factors in picking this particular house was the climbing tree in the front yard.  It's also an excellent investment and I spend a lot of time renovating to further increase the value.

My desk at work is "decorated" with transformers, which I transform and pose when I'm waiting for information on million dollar test programs.  I've threatened to bring in more, but I don't have room for all of them.

I still go to conventions to show off my homemade superhero costumes.  As opposed to the superhero shirts I wear under my work shirts (Under Armour FTW).

I turn 33 in less than 2weeks. :friendly_wink:

• Like 1

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

On 12/12/2016 at 4:54 PM, PadraigS said:

Hopefully this isn't too far off topic. But sometimes I feel like an adult because I'm worrying about my weight and what I eat and having nightmares about being late for work. Then other times I think "nope I guess I'm still a child." such as my dream last night where I was spiderman fighting a dinosaur. I'm sure anyone else in their early/mid twenties know the feeling. Hell some of the older members of the rebellion probably feel the same.

Dude, I'm 37, and just the other day I had a dream about fending off zombies. I still dream that I'm a wolf running through the woods. You are among like-minded fellow "children". :biggrin-new:

• Like 2

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

37 minutes ago, PadraigS said:

I now feel justified in being a child. Thank you all! :D

Oh, and by the way... you obviously haven't been here very long if you think this is "too far off topic" lol! You should see some of the shit we talk about, ain't that right @RandMart? :D 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

29 minutes ago, PadraigS said:

Nope only been on the forums a month or so. Been part of the academy maybe 6 months though

Ahhhh.... Welcome to the mad house! :P 

• Like 2

Me: Oh I'm totally an adult.

*hears something new about something nerdy*

Me:... *squeals*

Mind you, I'm a 29 year old functioning person/thing

I think I express the kid in me, by letting my enthusiasm show towards people who are utterly gray about the world. I show how excited I am about hearing something in the science field or in the nerdy field. I act goofy or crack jokes with people I've never met before, and one thing I've noticed is that it's refreshing to them (sometimes).

sent from my phone whilst exploring new dungeons

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

@Red1263 I'm a bit like that with miserable people. When I get asked "how are you"by someone (in that I-can't-really-give-a-fuck-but-I-have-to-ask way) I try to answer with a really positive affirmation, "I'm great!" or "fantastic, thank you!" and proceed to tell them why thing are great (maybe it's a nice day or I spoke to a friend on the phone, anything positive at all) then proceed to ask them how they are in return. It's quite funny watching them try to work out how to response. ;) 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Guzzi said:

@Red1263 I'm a bit like that with miserable people. When I get asked "how are you"by someone (in that I-can't-really-give-a-fuck-but-I-have-to-ask way) I try to answer with a really positive affirmation, "I'm great!" or "fantastic, thank you!" and proceed to tell them why thing are great (maybe it's a nice day or I spoke to a friend on the phone, anything positive at all) then proceed to ask them how they are in return. It's quite funny watching them try to work out how to response. ;) 

Guzzi! That is almost EXACTLY what I do! Or I wait for their reply (usually "good" or "Alright") and then I ask them "Why is it good?" or something along those lines and their expressions change, because it broke their detached cycle of small talk. It's kinda fun to watch. ^_^

• Like 2

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

Adult approach: sometimes it's simpler to just murmur "I'm fine, nice/bad weather today huh?" and go about your business.  

I work in customer service and when I want people on the phone to cooperate, a moderately positive "I'm doing great today, how bout you?" (and acting like I care about the answer) seems to get better results.  As someone (Terry Pratchett maybe?) put it, these seemingly pointless niceties are the lube that eases the glide of social intercourse.  They do actually have a purpose.  Social science backs this up, for you nerds who need proof...

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adult approach: sometimes it's simpler to just murmur "I'm fine, nice/bad weather today huh?" and go about your business.  

I work in customer service and when I want people on the phone to cooperate, a moderately positive "I'm doing great today, how bout you?" (and acting like I care about the answer) seems to get better results.  As someone (Terry Pratchett maybe?) put it, these seemingly pointless niceties are the lube that eases the glide of social intercourse.  They do actually have a purpose.  Social science backs this up, for you nerds who need proof...

True, but people have been doing this nearly all of their lives. They need to be woken up or surprised every now and then, to remind them that life has curveballs

sent from my phone whilst exploring new dungeons

• Like 1

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, RandMart said:

Gotta be careful when googling that

Hey! This is the "Feeling like an adult" thread, not the "Acting like an adolescent" one. :P 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RandMart said:

Got an idea for a new song the other night

The hook is "Acting like a teenager again, for the third time around"

Sounds like a Blink 182 song

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

50 minutes ago, RandMart said:

I'm gonna steal from the Ramones:"They're piling in the back seat. They're generating steam heat."

It's about D'Wife & me "killing time" while waiting to pick up D'Kid and her friends from the movies a couple weeks ago

Dude!!! Too much information! :lol: