Hi rebellion!

So, who am I?  I'm 33 later this year and the unthinkable is starting to happen - I'm getting old! I find myself saying things like "ooh I can't wait to go to bed" and asking myself "when did I hurt my leg?". Unmistakable signs that my body is starting to show some wear and tear! I'll admit, I'm not panicking yet. I do look to my friends and family members who are similar ages and think I've gotten lucky with the aging process so far, but still, it feels like a bit of a turning point. I can either sit down (literally) and let mother time do her thing or I can stand up (literally) and do something to halt the process and enjoy life healthily for as long as possible.

Aside from being a moaning middle-aged man, I'm as big of a nerd as many of you here and I'm super glad to have found a fitness place with normal people, with normal interests and not your usual filtered instagrammers with shallow profiles and worse personalities! Ok maybe I'm still moaning. My nerdiness revolves around history, games set in ancient worlds or historical fiction books. Anything Roman, Greek, Vikings or Middle Ages/ Crusades really. 

Moving on to my goals, I want to be like my namesake Uhtred of Bebbanburg - the fictional protagonist of The Last Kingdom and sword of King Alfred the Great. Ok, I don't have his bloodlust, and I won't be leading any armies, but even at a ripe old age he was fitter than most young men, as strong as an ox and spent his days marching and fighting and his nights doing something else... 

Back in my day I was a pretty good all-rounder. I was on a few sports teams then as I got a little older I turned to cycling. I tried going back to team sports but found myself up against guys 10/15 years younger than me and wasn't enjoying that so it's back to the bike. In time I'd like to add some strength training, I'm a skinny fellow, but all in good time building little habits one pedal turn at a time. Wish me luck!

• Like 4

Welcome! As someone who is in her fifties , I can say that eating healthy and getting movement in really is the fountain of youth (though I still can't wait for bedtime!)

What are soe good historical fiction books you've read?

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Thank you Elastigirl! I had a day out not so long ago and visited a lovely little place in the countryside. The amount of older people still looking spritely and full of vigour was great to see. Its amazing what fresh air, good quality food and a slower paced life can do.

Ooh where do I begin? I think I'll start with the books that lead to my username which was The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell.  I'll throw in a shout out for Conn Iggulden's The Conqueror series all about Genghis Khan. The Roman period is my favourite though and that started with the epic Masters of Rome series by Colleen McCullough  - an epic set of 7 mammoth books chronicling Gaius Marius all the way to Caesar Augustus. Amazing work. It kind of taught me all I know (or at least fired up my appetite for more learning) about that middle period of Roman history. I'm on the look out for a series which covers either the founding of Rome and the fight for Italian supremacy or the fall of the Empire - both of which I'm a bit shaky on. 

• Like 2

giphy.gif

Welcome!

• Like 1

Active challenges: Spring Respawn: Winter Blues to Summer Bod | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

17 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Ooh where do I begin? I think I'll start with the books that lead to my username which was The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell.  I'll throw in a shout out for Conn Iggulden's The Conqueror series all about Genghis Khan. The Roman period is my favourite though and that started with the epic Masters of Rome series by Colleen McCullough  - an epic set of 7 mammoth books chronicling Gaius Marius all the way to Caesar Augustus. Amazing work. It kind of taught me all I know (or at least fired up my appetite for more learning) about that middle period of Roman history. I'm on the look out for a series which covers either the founding of Rome and the fight for Italian supremacy or the fall of the Empire - both of which I'm a bit shaky on. 

Thanks.I've added those to my want to read book list!

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Welcome! I'm turning 34 this year and there's so many things that aren't quite working like they used to 😂 I've been trying to adopt a healthier more active lifestyle so I can remain feeling younger longer. 

You should look into starting a challenge! The current one ends on the 10th but the will be a new one starting up after. That seems to be the busiest section. :)

I'm going to also add some of those books to my reading list. 

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}