46 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

Made myself do all the things at bare minimum today, too.  After all, that is what bare minimum is for.

Having half-assed everything yesterday, I whole heartedly sympathize. Good job getting a start on the things rather than putting them off again. ??

46 minutes ago, Everstorm said:

So! Calories tracked, Inktober drawing done, Elements workout, and my hair is so dang cute.  (My husband can't stop saying how much he likes the new cut ?).

❤️❤️❤️❤️ ?

• Like 2

Level 11 Ranger

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89, 101112

Current challenge:  to face the trials of this life at my own speed, savoring my accomplishments, and accepting my failures with peace

7 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Pushed through yesterday with a reminder that we don't miss two in a row

That is epic level. ?

nothing better than getting people compliment a new cut you love. 

• Like 1

the creative spelling comes as standard. Enjoy! 
A journey of thousand miles, begins with a single step - Lao Tzu

Challenge: #1#2#3#4#5#6#7#8

On 9/30/2024 at 6:57 PM, Everstorm said:

I was irritable from the stressful morning, so I decided to stop by the hairdresser on my way home and see if they could fit me in and they did!  I got a BIG chop, like 6 inches off the length.  I love it so much.  It's not quite the cut I wanted because I have some face-framing layers that need to grow out first, but it's fresh and healthy looking and suits my villainy better than the too-sweet long curls I had before.

Having it shorter should make it easier to style, too, so maybe I can dry it in less than half a day.  So glad I did it.  My day is going so much better now.

Exciting! I like long sweet curls but I also went shorter. Shorter is great, too! I hope you continue to love it.

7 hours ago, Everstorm said:

and my hair is so dang cute.  (My husband can't stop saying how much he likes the new cut ?).

You continue to love it! YAY!

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

17 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

This is so critical for world domination! I’m really happy for you

Thank you!  The boost to my Conficence stat is tremendous. 

11 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

nothing better than getting people compliment a new cut you love. 

Agreed ?

10 hours ago, Harriet said:

Exciting! I like long sweet curls but I also went shorter. Shorter is great, too! I hope you continue to love it.

Long sweet curls are one of those things I think I will like -- because I like them on other people -- but I don't like them on myself.  Or at least I don't for where I am in my villain journey.  At another time they would be fine.

17 hours ago, MaeradCase said:

Having half-assed everything yesterday, I whole heartedly sympathize. Good job getting a start on the things rather than putting them off again. ??

Thanks!  Inertia is everything right now.

11 hours ago, Sea-to-sky said:

That is epic level. ?

The road to epic-ness is definitely paved with doing the the thing when you don't want to do the thing.

I finally got caught up on sleep last night.  That makes such a huge difference in my day.  I am seeing a direct correlation between sleep and calories.  This is a thing I have known intellectually for a long time, but I am really starting to understand it.  I have also noticed that having a long quiet period in the morning does worlds for my anxiety levels throughout the day.  What does this mean?  This night owl needs to become an early bird ?

Goals are going well today and I am so happy that my mums are blooming and the critters don't eat them.

20241002_142936.thumb.jpg.a12bf2aad62c480f6f1f29d5eb8bcb4f.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

15 hours ago, Everstorm said:

The road to epic-ness is definitely paved with doing the the thing when you don't want to do the thing.

I finally got caught up on sleep last night.  That makes such a huge difference in my day.  I am seeing a direct correlation between sleep and calories.  This is a thing I have known intellectually for a long time, but I am really starting to understand it.  I have also noticed that having a long quiet period in the morning does worlds for my anxiety levels throughout the day.  What does this mean?  This night owl needs to become an early bird ?

?props for doing the unfun but worthwhile things. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/3/2024 at 5:22 AM, Sea-to-sky said:

Yes, this. 

I am so excited for you, Ever. This was a great set of updates to read. ❤️ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Past Challenges: #1, #2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16

Current Challenge: #17

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 9/30/2024 at 7:29 AM, Snarkyfishguts said:

Remember when hamster butts were all the rage?

What.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I've been following along and putting off replies for a couple of weeks, cuz, ugh, you are too epic for me, Everstorm. I can't cope.

Sad Inside Out GIF

(But the side benefit is that I reviewed the curly hair discussion my ADHD ass totally forgot about.)

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

On 10/3/2024 at 7:22 AM, Sea-to-sky said:

Thanks ? 

On 10/4/2024 at 12:49 PM, Sovalis said:

Yes, this. 

I am so excited for you, Ever. This was a great set of updates to read. ❤️ 

Thank you ?

3 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

What.

I don't get it either

2 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I've been following along and putting off replies for a couple of weeks, cuz, ugh, you are too epic for me, Everstorm. I can't cope.

Sad Inside Out GIF

(But the side benefit is that I reviewed the curly hair discussion my ADHD ass totally forgot about.)

Hailee Steinfeld What GIF by Music Choice

I don't feel epic.  I feel like I'm on the Struggle Bus.  But I also feel like maybe I am on the Struggle Bus to Epicville.  I just need to remember not to get off the bus.

Also, that podcast you shared inspired me to go for a walk this morning, so thanks for that ?

• Like 4

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Just now, Everstorm said:

Also, that podcast you shared inspired me to go for a walk this morning, so thanks for that ?

Oh my God! I forgot! Problems are solved by walking! And this one might actually be. Damn, I'm not dressed for walking, let me do that.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 2

18 hours ago, Everstorm said:

I don't feel epic.  I feel like I'm on the Struggle Bus.  But I also feel like maybe I am on the Struggle Bus to Epicville.  I just need to remember not to get off the bus.

I think this is maybe the secret to all things. Sometimes you are riding a golden chariot and sometimes you are on the struggle bus, but as long as the conveyance is moving in the right direction, it's okay to just ride it along for a while.

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 2

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

On 10/6/2024 at 3:16 PM, sarakingdom said:

Oh my God! I forgot! Problems are solved by walking! And this one might actually be. Damn, I'm not dressed for walking, let me do that.

Yay!  *plays epic walking music*

9 hours ago, Artemis Prime said:

I think this is maybe the secret to all things. Sometimes you are riding a golden chariot and sometimes you are on the struggle bus, but as long as the conveyance is moving in the right direction, it's okay to just ride it along for a while.

I love this imagery!  And today was definitely more like the golden chariot.

I got in an early morning walk and then a mid-afternoon swim and I just love, love where my head was at all day.  Food has been on point and my hair was super cute even after the pool. 

I am learning not to go too overboard with all the products I'm trying.  The last few experiments left me with really oily wash day hair (which is entirely counterpoint).  So, I ditched the finishing oil and reduced the leave in conditioner and it looks much better.  Next month, I might try a lighter hold product than the gel, but I'm trying to work with what I have for now.

• Like 5

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

9 hours ago, Everstorm said:

m learning not to go too overboard with all the products I'm trying.  The last few experiments left me with really oily wash day hair (which is entirely counterpoint).  So, I ditched the finishing oil and reduced the leave in conditioner and it looks much better.  Next month, I might try a lighter hold product than the gel, but I'm trying to work with what I have for now

When i switched products to stuff for curly hair i read you actually need much less than you realise. When my hair was linger i was using a 50p’s size worth of shampoo and a 20p’s size of conditioner etc. blew my mind but it is much better 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sea-to-sky said:

When i switched products to stuff for curly hair i read you actually need much less than you realise. When my hair was linger i was using a 50p’s size worth of shampoo and a 20p’s size of conditioner etc. blew my mind but it is much better 

Interesting, because I read that you need tons of conditioner and gel.  Although, I have to make adjustments because I really have wavy hair, not curly or coily hair, so not all the rules apply.  I need to wash my hair more often for scalp health than a properly curly-headed person would need to, for example.  The balance for conditioner I am finding is that I need more rinse-out conditioner than I think, but less leave-in.

Today was the first time my second-day hair didn't come out great after doing the pineapple overnight.  I wonder if that is from the pool chemicals?  I still smell them on my skin in spite of showering after, so it's not a stretch to assume they are in my hair.  I have a chlorine-removing shampoo, but it contains sulfates which are a big no-no for CG method.  On the other hand, the chlorine can't be good, either.  Maybe I should ask Google...

• Like 2

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

2 hours ago, Everstorm said:

Today was the first time my second-day hair didn't come out great after doing the pineapple overnight.  I wonder if that is from the pool chemicals?  I still smell them on my skin in spite of showering after, so it's not a stretch to assume they are in my hair.  I have a chlorine-removing shampoo, but it contains sulfates which are a big no-no for CG method.  On the other hand, the chlorine can't be good, either.  Maybe I should ask Google

Definitely get your hair wet in the showers before going in the pool. Ive had a bash with hair oils and they can be good to put in before going for a swim. Swim caps.

Not sure about a chlorine removing shampoo, but i know i struggle to get the salt out of mine after a swim (though ive used a for normal hair type shampoo for the first wash, which works well). People seem to be suggesting making sure you rinse it out strait away and using  body wash instead of a shampoo as well. 

if you find anything that really works it would be good to know. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sea-to-sky said:

Definitely get your hair wet in the showers before going in the pool

Yes, I soaked it and applied a shielding product that is meant to prevent chlorine absorption (among other things like heat damage, UV, etc) prior to swimming.  Not sure how effective all that is, though.  I don't actually smell chlorine in my hair like I do on my skin.  Either there isn't any or the other products I use cover the smell.  It could just be a bad hair day that has nothing to do with yesterday's swim.  Need more data ?

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ah.  So again,

1 hour ago, Everstorm said:

Need more data ?

I may -- since I already have the anti-chlorine shampoo -- just use up the bottle and make sure to condition really well afterward.  We shall make a trial next time I go to the pool and see if my hair seems too dry or no.  So many moving parts to figure!

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

I also tried sulfate free shampoo and silicone free conditioner on the advice of curly people online but it didn't help so I went back. I also went back to cheap (but popular, with lots of research funding) brands and it's working splendidly.

• Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

I also tried sulfate free shampoo and silicone free conditioner on the advice of curly people online but it didn't help so I went back. I also went back to cheap (but popular, with lots of research funding) brands and it's working splendidly.

I tried a few curly specific, even hair salon recommended shampoos and unluckily they've all been garbage. Or maybe luckily, as now I don't have to spend the extra cash. ?

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Harriet said:

I tried a few curly specific, even hair salon recommended shampoos and unluckily they've all been garbage. Or maybe luckily, as now I don't have to spend the extra cash. ?

What did you two not like about them?

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

It's been so long, but the last shampoo I remember trying was too... thin? I don't know how to describe it. Sometimes shampoos feel like there's not enough lubricant, making the hair tangle while washing, forcing me to use more conditioner. And it feels horrible. But it's not related to whether it has sulfates or not.

The only curly product that I've had a positive result with is a cheap very light curl cream from the local drugstore. My hair doesn't take well to all the CG products like gels and oils. And it needs more frequent washing otherwise it tangles like a mofo. I tried the no wash/low wash methods twice and it was bad...

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Everstorm said:

What did you two not like about them?

So, I tried some organic brands because I was trying to do everything for "hEaLtH" and health gurus said there are toxic chemicals in everything (Labmuffin says the levels are orders of magnitude safer than the tested dangerous levels, but also I don't care any more). They were chalky and awful. I also tried OGx which was more popular. It was okay but I noticed a a lot of hair falling out. I then spent a while using more expensive brands like redken and matrix. They were fine, just nothing special. I think with the silicone free conditioners my hair just wasn't as shiny and smooth. Sometimes i didn't love the smell. Recently after feeling $broke and reading labmuffin's book I decided I cannot afford to buy expensive products when I go through them so fast, and bought some 2-3 dollar loreal elvital shampoos. They work just as well as the redken and matrix. They work as well as anything I've ever tried, and I think there's just a ceiling on quality, and the rest is about finding a formula that suits you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

It's been so long, but the last shampoo I remember trying was too... thin? I don't know how to describe it. Sometimes shampoos feel like there's not enough lubricant, making the hair tangle while washing, forcing me to use more conditioner. And it feels horrible. But it's not related to whether it has sulfates or not.

I get that.  The one I have now doesn't foam and feels like it just dissappears into my hair.  It's very strange.  I don't have tangling issues at this length, but I could see where it would be a problem for longer hair.  Have you ever tried co-washing (at any price point)?  It's a cleansing conditioner instead of shampoo, so it glides quite nicely.  I can only use it every other wash because my scalp tends toward oily, but maybe it would help you with the detangling?

The only curly product that I've had a positive result with is a cheap very light curl cream from the local drugstore.

I am still at the beginning of exploring my options of course, but my absolute favorite product so far is a premium brand curl refresher that totally revives my hair between washes.  I have no idea if it could be done as well with a drugstore brand, but I love what it does for my second-day hair.

My hair doesn't take well to all the CG products like gels and oils.

I am kind of getting that feeling as well.  I have tried a cheap gel and an expensive one and I don't love it.  I know of some lighter hold creams and stuff I want to try, though.  I have to do something to fight the frizz.  The humidity here is a hair killer.

And it needs more frequent washing otherwise it tangles like a mofo. I tried the no wash/low wash methods twice and it was bad...

I have to wash more frequently also for scalp health.  I really can only go 2 days between washes.  I have heard that CG method is very slow and can take months before you get your hair the best it can be (partly, I think, because you have to grow and cut off damaged hair).  But who wants to look like a scarecrow for 8 months in the hopes that in month 9 it's miraculously better?  It's challenging. 

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

the rest is about finding a formula that suits you.

That's the tricky part, isn't it?  Way too many things to choose from. 

My hair definitely looks smoother and shinier now than before I started the curly girl stuff, but since I didn't go about it very scientifically, I have no idea if that's about the products or because I actually handle my hair differently (no dry brushing, bedtime pineapple, using gels when I previously used no styling products, diffusing, etc etc).

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness