Forums are back in action! ×

Comment on Vibrams

Lefeux

So I was in the gym on Monday trying to see how my back was feeling after tweaking it last week (no lifting still but its getting better) and was wearing my Vibrams (I can wear sneakers to work, so I wear my VFFs instead. Pretty much all the time now) when this guy looked at me and asked if I had been here in Afghanistan long. I replied saying I had been here for 18 months, and why did he ask. He looked at my VFF and said those aren't authorized (he is military). I calmly replied good thing I am not in the service (hooray for being a dirty contractor ;) ). His response was that VFF will give you flat feet (despite the opposite being true). I calmly looked at him and said, sir I have so many fewer problems with my feet while wearing my VFFs than wearing a 400 dollar set of carbon fiber inserts specifically designed for flat feet (I have been diagnosed with plantar flasciatis and tendonitis in my achilles tendons), that I will take "flat feet" all time. He just shook his head and walked off.

I love it when people try to spread uneducated myths.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

STR - 7.2 Dex - 2 Sta - 7 Con - 4 Wis - 3 CHA - 4

"Do or Do Not. There is no try."

"Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up ."

Round 2 - Faster, Stronger, Leaner and more Pious?

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

There are officers and NCOs like this wherever you go. I have a (now retired) NCO friend who was stopped repeatedly in the Pentagon because he was carrying a backpack with both straps over his shoulders, instead of the requisite single strap. Even with a "letter from the doctor" some people (obviously not in his chain of command) would give him a hard time about not carrying a freaking backpack per regulation.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

There are officers and NCOs like this wherever you go. I have a (now retired) NCO friend who was stopped repeatedly in the Pentagon because he was carrying a backpack with both straps over his shoulders, instead of the requisite single strap. Even with a "letter from the doctor" some people (obviously not in his chain of command) would give him a hard time about not carrying a freaking backpack per regulation.

What on earth is their reasoning behind requiring a single strap? That's so illogical!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Gosh, some people are so annoying! I crack up when I have people telling me that I need to eat more carbs, because that's what the body uses as fuel, or that I'm eating too many salads! Everyone has an opinion, even if it's wrong... I just ignore their unfounded rationale for health and carry on.

My Blog

My Book Reviews

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

Vibrams are allowed by the Navy at least. I think the question was whether you were required to wear white socks with them.

Mine got yelled at for drinking beer with dinner at a pub in the digi uniform. Making stops while in that uniform was slow to be allowed, and you can go out drinking in the other uniforms as long as you don't make a fool of yourself.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

What on earth is their reasoning behind requiring a single strap? That's so illogical!

If someone grabs you from behind you can slip out more easily and you can drop it more easily if needed.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

If someone grabs you from behind you can slip out more easily and you can drop it more easily if needed.

Ohhhhhh.. that's a little more logical. But still. Ouch.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Solution: Government issued quick release backpacks. That wouldn't be an awful idea or anything.

They have them for the heavier rucks I believe where you need to use both straps, but for the light back packs it would probably increase the cost, so the cheaper/easier fix is through doctrine instead of materiel.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

"Too many salads" is the stupidest piece of fitness advice ever.

As in it's possible to eat too many salads? Or is it that they push salads too much?

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

"Too many salads" is the stupidest piece of fitness advice ever.

I would say there isn't a such thing as too many salads unless you eat everyone with a high calorie dressing. Then that would defeat the fitness purpose.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 2 Elven Ranger

STR - 7.2 Dex - 2 Sta - 7 Con - 4 Wis - 3 CHA - 4

"Do or Do Not. There is no try."

"Why do we fall sir? So we might learn to pick ourselves up ."

Round 2 - Faster, Stronger, Leaner and more Pious?

Lefeux's Ranger Conquest

Workout Log

Archived