Forums are back in action! ×

New to the site old guy

Howdy - I am new to the site but I am probably older than many around here. In fact, I'm soooo old, I really don't understand most of the computer game references I've seen. I've been following the blog for a while, but have just joined the forum.

Periodically I decide to get in shape. This time, my son coaxed me into it and we started back in January. I've stuck with it, more of less, for 11 months now and I plan to keep going. But, I've learned I get bored easily - after 6 or 8 weeks - of doing the same thing. My son is 13 and wants to get bigger and stronger for football. I'm almost 40 and looking to get in shape and lose some weight. I realize that we should, in theory, have completely different workout plans - but, it's better if we work out together. So, we do the same thing for our strength days.

Since he's 13, he knows everything and feels he doesn't need to do cardio. Cardio is probably much more important to me since I'm trying to slim down and lose weight.

Lately, we've been on a heavy lifting program that I developed from a number of sources and after a lot of research. I've actually gained weight in the last month and I can see somewhat larger shoulders, biceps, and chest muscles.

I'm looking for a little help, guidance, and direction.

40? Old? You're going to get the wrath of all the 50+ people here, and they are quite a lot :P For what you say, you seems to be warrior-like (heavy lifting) so if you want some advices, you can check the "Powerlifting and Olympic lifting" part of the forum, you can find it here:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/forumdisplay.php?85-Powerlifting-and-Olympic-Lifting

We're already late in the 6 week challenge, but you can still participate. Just find 4 goals (3 fitness/diet + 1 life) and post it in the warrior forum. If you need some inspiration, you can read the other warriors challenges and goal:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/forumdisplay.php?216-Warriors

If you don't get the game references (and I won't blame you for that, even for me, heavy gamer, it was a little difficult at first) maybe you can try this page that I coded: NF guild affinity and signature generator. As the title said, it will generate a signature for you and take care of all the cloudy stuff.

I'm sorry I can't help you much for your training, for that I am an assassin (specialized in bodyweight exercises) but I'm sure warriors will be happy to help and guide you :)

Welcome!

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

To be honest, I think of myself more as an Adventurer. A jack of all trades, master of none.

I have always been strong - strong like bull! (insert grunt here). However, I really should be doing a LOT more cardio and slimming down. My goals have always been about losing weight and slimming down. My clothes fit better and I am seeing a difference, but I haven't been losing weight in the last couple months - probably mostly due to my current strength program that I developed for my son & I.

I will participate in the Jan. 1 challenge. I have lots of goals and I can develop more. Next fitness goal: run to the bridge & back without dying (my mailbox is exactly one mile from a bridge over a RxR track) and then to run a 5k race. I also want to start and complete, successfully, the Insanity workout program. Weight goal: Get down to 225# again (I have been there twice this year - started the year at 240+) and then down to 200#. I was on track for 200 at one point this year when I was just doing P90X but since getting into the heavier lifting, I've gotten stuck between 225 and 230. I have lots more goals that I can pull out and refine - I need goals and a plan to push myself and keep myself focused and dedicated and on track.

My real gaming experience stopped with Pac Man and Donkey Kong. And after the era of full size, stand-up video games (think arcade), I'm pretty much lost. I would have to go and consult my son...

Critter has a good point, diet is critical and lifting is very efficient at burning calories. You're right that you have different work out requirements than a 13 year old, but there is some overlap. Having you as a spotter will help your son push himself, I'm thinking it's the rare high schooler that is anywhere near your strength range. Just don't try to out nimble him...

Also, nice to have another in the over 40 crowd:)

Cro Magnon Assassin

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

Thanks guys.

I know that my diet is my major weakness - 2 things I love most in this world are eating and drinking. That will always be my challenge. And, further, since I don't shop or prepare food, it is always a challenge for me in that regard. However, I've been good about not drinking in excess or having a random beer or drink unnecessarily. But Thanksgiving was a bit of a challenge...

My son is probably not average in any way. At (almost) 14, he's about 5'-10" and goes about 140 +/-. When he shot up (growth spurt) he got real skinny and with the addition of lifting for the last year, he's looking quite ripped. If he sticks with it, I have no doubt that he could get his six pack and magazine physique (which I will NEVER have - refer to my first 2 loves...) Honestly, except for the bench press, he can go almost pound for pound with me (I am not sure if I'm more proud of him or embarrassed for myself).

I believe the real reason I haven't been losing weight is the lack of additional cardio in between the strength workout - Yes, I'm getting some in, but only some and they aren't regular enough. I need to refocus on that...

40? *sniff* not old. I started doing stuff in my 40's that I never thought I'd do and I look way better than I ever did.

As for a lack of cardio being the culprit re: not losing weight? Nope. Diet. Sorry. Know from personal experience. And yeah, I love eating and drinking. Weight loss = diet/nutrition.

You'll find a lot of awesome support here. Jump in!!!!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Don't go playing the age card here kiddo, I'm almost old enough to be your mom and remember when video arcade = PONG. I was doing cardio 6 days a week and it wasn't helping my weight loss at all. The big changes I made were:

1. Changed what I was eating. I was already eating in the right calorie range, I just ditched the junk for "real" food. I think MYFITNESSPAL has the nicest food tracker for ease of use, but you might want to poll some others.

2. 2 strength training/week (which you're already doing). If you're not doing any core-work, you might want to add that.

3. Shorter, but more intense cardio - intervals.

Glad to see another person who remembers the 80's.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Ok, Ok, Ok, I concede - not old... merely middle aged. Additionally - out of shape and broken down; they've been hard miles...

Yes, I am fully aware that my diet is my major problem. But, eating the same things, I lose more weight during some times than others... Way I figure it - with the same intake, more output / energy expended = more weight loss. Therefore, I need to add more cardio.

You're going to work your heart very hard doing strength training and burn more calories than cardio. Cardio can help, but for optimal weight loss Diet is the first thing to conquer, and the more you build your muscles' strength the more calories they will burn when you do cardio. I probably burn 60-140% more calories doing strength training than on my running days.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Ok, Ok, Ok, I concede - not old... merely middle aged. Additionally - out of shape and broken down; they've been hard miles...

Yes, I am fully aware that my diet is my major problem. But, eating the same things, I lose more weight during some times than others... Way I figure it - with the same intake, more output / energy expended = more weight loss. Therefore, I need to add more cardio.

Hard miles we can handle! It's how and what you are burning. Carbs, man. *shakes head* So if you are eating a lot carbs then undertake "cardio" and eat better, then you think you lost weight due to cardio. You will lose some weight through a lot of new exercise but not as much as you think. What really hit home for my spousal unit was Mark Sissan's Primal Blueprint. I highly highly highly recommend it. That man changed our lives.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Hello fellow oldish guy!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

I've got to agree with the general concensus here. When I joined NF, I made one diet change and one workout change. I kept my calories about the same, but dropped the grains and increased the fat (primarily nuts, avocados and olive oil). I also dropped 3 cardio sessions and added 2 strength training sessions (what can I say, my knees are as old as I am). In 16 weeks, I dropped 8 lbs and 1 dress size. This is a HUGE loss for me, as I am hypothyroid. I'd been doing the other program for months and months and months with no loss. I highly recommend the Beginner's body weight workout.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Archived