Forums are back in action! ×

Microadventures: NatGeo Adventurer of the Year

Hi All,  I was listening to one of my favourite podcast series ( http://www.dirtbagdiaries.com/webpage/category/podcasts ) yesterday and came across a really cool episode that helped me shake off some stagnancy and re-brighten my perspective on fitness, fun and adventure:  http://www.thecleanestline.com/2012/12/dirtbag-diaries-the-sufferthon.html

... yes, the name is a bit offputting isn't it?  I actually didn't listen to this episode for a couple of months because of the title and then the actual part about "The Sufferthon" itself didn't really do a lot for me.

What was great was the intro featuring Alistair Humphries and the concept of "microadventures".  Now, perhaps to someone of his history the things he describes on the podcast and here  http://www.alastairhumphreys.com/microadventures-3/year-microadventure/ are "micro" but most of the time these are about as far as my adventurousness extends!  I love the spirit of "start small but start" and this whole section from his website:

"Adventure is only a state of mind.

Adventure is stretching yourself; mentally, physically or culturally. It is about doing what you do not normally do, pushing yourself hard and doing it to the best of your ability.

And if that is true then adventure is all around us, at all times. Even during hard financial times such as these. Times, I believe, when getting out into the wild are more enjoyable, invigorating and important than ever."

... just brilliant, right?  I think the whole thing's really in the spirit that Steve started this whole shebang about.  Any thoughts?  I've got a little bit of time off work coming up myself and think I may just take Alistair up and do a few of these things that have been tickling the back of my mind. It just so happens that there is a hill I've wanted to bike out to and sleep on!  I'll throw a little trip report on here after - it'd be great if anyone else did the same.

Cheers.

illcDimension hopping Ranger-Cartographer, level 2STR: 6 DEX: 2 STA: 5 CON: 6 WIS: 5 CHA: 2

Training Log

Of Goats and Rucks Challenge (June -July 2013)

~Take care. Be bold.~

Thanks for sharing this! I will try to listen to it today! :)

Scout - Level 15 Half-Elf Ranger

STR15 | DEX5.5 | STA17 | CON39.5 | WIS18 | CHA10.5 

Challenges: Current Challenge #18 | #17 Part 2 | #17#16#15#14#13#12 Part 2 | #12#11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 Part II | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

My Blog | Facebook | My BeachBody | My NF Character

Spoiler

Lose 84 lbs (From 219 to 135): Current weight = 202.9

100%
19%

Walk to Mordor (Hobbiton to Mount Doom - 1779 miles) [so far: 1515.60 miles  - logged to 06/13/16

[progress=purple]85[/progress]

I've been following Alastair Humphreys for a while now, and I love the whole microadventure concept.

...not taken up the challenge yet though! Well, not unless you count university driven local overnight expeditions, which I kinda don't. I've got a few planned, I just need to wait for my foot to heal up a bit more so I can go tramping up hills without any bother.

What he's done for the whole concept of adventure is pretty great, it's been brought down to a far more accessible level which is exactly what's been needing to happen for a long time. The whole "adventure" concept has traditionally been something that someone else does in some far off place over a longer period of time, usually costing a lot of money and potentially courting high risk situations.

That's not true, and Alastair brings this across better than I've seen anyone do in a while. After all, who says taking a hike and sleeping under the stars isn't an adventure? Or swimming out to an island the size of your living room and spending the night there (one of my plans...)? Or even just going somewhere new for the day. Anything should go for adventure, really.

Basically I'm saying the spirit of micoradventure is brilliant :)

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

That's not true, and Alastair brings this across better than I've seen anyone do in a while. After all, who says taking a hike and sleeping under the stars isn't an adventure? Or swimming out to an island the size of your living room and spending the night there (one of my plans...)? Or even just going somewhere new for the day. Anything should go for adventure, really.

Basically I'm saying the spirit of micoradventure is brilliant :)

I completely agree!! Adventure is everywhere to be found!:)

Scout - Level 15 Half-Elf Ranger

STR15 | DEX5.5 | STA17 | CON39.5 | WIS18 | CHA10.5 

Challenges: Current Challenge #18 | #17 Part 2 | #17#16#15#14#13#12 Part 2 | #12#11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 Part II | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

My Blog | Facebook | My BeachBody | My NF Character

Spoiler

Lose 84 lbs (From 219 to 135): Current weight = 202.9

100%
19%

Walk to Mordor (Hobbiton to Mount Doom - 1779 miles) [so far: 1515.60 miles  - logged to 06/13/16

[progress=purple]85[/progress]