Forums are back in action! ×

3 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

It actually wasn't a terrible day at school. We're finishing up cell posters and I got some of the best work I've gotten in years. Weird.  A kid who hasn't turned in a single assignment all year made a poster of shoe that shows all the different bacteria you might step in.

Huh. I guess everyone is motivated by something different.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

9 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

That quote is good. It reminds me that me and Mrs Sloth are starting to switch attributes. I wouldn't say I'm becoming an extrovert, but I'm more comfortable with people and she's becoming a weird introvert.

That's part of it, but mostly it's that they've discovered the power of no. That we really don't hold any power over them. It's like I have a class full of Bartleby the Scrivener.

The struggle! I recently "went there" and told a student we were going to the office to call his parents, and he broke down so hard that I felt like a monster. I mean, he's a perfect poster child of good behavior now, but still. Not sure how often I'll use that weapon in the future. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

5/10/17 Wednesday

It actually wasn't a terrible day at school. We're finishing up cell posters and I got some of the best work I've gotten in years. Weird.  A kid who hasn't turned in a single assignment all year made a poster of shoe that shows all the different bacteria you might step in. Anyway, I'm on the patio drinking a cucumber-habanero cider.  It burns going down. Life is good right.

Training:

DDPYoga: 20 minutes

S&S: 5X10/10 KB swings at 20kg in ~12:00, 4X1/1 get ups at 12kg + 1X1/1 at 16kg. Tied for heaviest get up ever. 

Riding: I will hit the trainer soon for an hour. 

Spending: about to head to CVS for my ADD meds, $30 copay. Also bought Slothboy a Lego Ninjago book. 

Keep up the get ups or they disappear!  You have been warned!

I had a headache all day yesterday before I realised it was because I'd not had any coffee and was only drinking redbush tea as I'd run out of normal tea bags and was trying to watch the pennies and use up what I'd got.  I did wonder about myself when I ended up downing two coffees (made at home) in quick succession to try to make the headache go away...

Two or three days ago I bought a couple boxes of Nutty Bars.  I figured one a day would satisfy the sugar cravings and I could eat healthy the rest of the day.

I'm out of Nutty Bars and I really want one :(

• Like 9

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Cucumber-habanero cider? Please tell me more!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: Operation Wedding Suit - Take 2

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

23 hours ago, Xena said:

Huh. I guess everyone is motivated by something different.

It's funny what kids are drawn to.  This kid is seriously obsessed with shoes. I know there's a shoe culture going on that I know nothing about, but this kid...

13 hours ago, Estral said:

The struggle! I recently "went there" and told a student we were going to the office to call his parents, and he broke down so hard that I felt like a monster. I mean, he's a perfect poster child of good behavior now, but still. Not sure how often I'll use that weapon in the future. 

You're a teacher? What? I teach sixth grade science.  

I wish my students cared about being sent down.  It's more of a reward for them. All their friends are down there, there isn't a meaningful consequence, it's like a party. 

12 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

Keep up the get ups or they disappear!  You have been warned!

I had a headache all day yesterday before I realised it was because I'd not had any coffee and was only drinking redbush tea as I'd run out of normal tea bags and was trying to watch the pennies and use up what I'd got.  I did wonder about myself when I ended up downing two coffees (made at home) in quick succession to try to make the headache go away...

That's funny.  I ran out of coffee last week and tried to go without, having tea instead. It just wasn't satisfying. What ended up happening was I ran out at prep and bought a cup. The headaches are terrible, when I get them they won't go away even with caffeine and ibuprofen. 

2 hours ago, Big_Show said:

Cucumber-habanero cider? Please tell me more!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

It is from a local company. Sociable Cider Werks.  The owner is a Viking named Thor, he looks the part.  I first tried his stuff because he sponsors local mountain bike races. I kept drinking it because it is so much drier than other ciders. I give it a 7/10. 12/10 on Taco Tuesday. 

d8137252896daeee28ec3045a2376d17.jpg

• Like 8

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

6 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Two or three days ago I bought a couple boxes of Nutty Bars.  I figured one a day would satisfy the sugar cravings and I could eat healthy the rest of the day.

I'm out of Nutty Bars and I really want one :(

Been there. Too many times. I just don't do that kind of thing anymore because I know it ends badly. 

• Like 2

5/11/17 Thursday

It was a good day. School wasn't terrible. It was a lovely day in Minneapolis. The missus said I was bonkers, which reminded me I am off my meds and finally went and picked up my prescription.

I'm taking the day off work tomorrow to go on a field trip with Slothboy.

Training:

DDPYoga - I don't remember, probably.

Strength Aerobics - 10X1/1 at 16kg + 5X1/1 at 20kg ~18min.

Riding - no.

I'm really enjoying kettlebells right now. Last time it was a drudgery. It probably helps that my back is no longer barking at me every time it moves.

Eating: IIRC I did okay, still low on protein.

Spending: copay was $40, I also bought popcorn for nerd night and a DVD, "Into the Badlands." It's basically about samurais set in the post-post-apocalypse. It's made by AMC. It's probably terrible, but I got sucked in right away.

• Like 7

On 2/21/2015 at 10:14 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Mrs. Sloth bought me a groupon for KB classes - I guess I'm going to keep going that route.  I'm going to see if I can start today.  Four Gates New Agey Fitness Place.

I was thinking KB was going to be kickboxing.  but looking at the site, I'm thinking it's now kettlebells??

On 2/21/2015 at 10:14 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I was seriously thinking doing P90X or Insanity or something so that I could keep active and give my forearms a break.

I recently started 9Rounds cardio kickboxing.  I go to the Golden Valley one.  but you can always see what's near you.

• Like 1

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

9 minutes ago, cracked_belle said:

I was thinking KB was going to be kickboxing.  but looking at the site, I'm thinking it's now kettlebells??

It's always KettleBells for sloth. He's done IRL heroing with a kettlebell before.

• Like 6

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

18 hours ago, Emma said:

Been there. Too many times. I just don't do that kind of thing anymore because I know it ends badly. 

*sigh* I've done this before too.  When will I learn?

3 hours ago, cracked_belle said:

I recently started 9Rounds cardio kickboxing.  I go to the Golden Valley one.  but you can always see what's near you.

Yes, kettlebells. When did I say I was going to do P90X? What the Hell was I thinking I'd hate that.  Must have been when my tendinitis was keeping me from working out. I should read my thread to remember what I've been up to. 

Kickboxing sounds like like a lot of fun. For years I've been wanting to take up stick fighting.  I can't really afford (time or money) another thing. 

5/12/17 Friday

It's been a great day. I played hooky from work to go on Slothboy's field trip. I trained, put the kids on the bus, and went on a short bike ride outside in perfect weathe.  all before I left. 

Then I went on a field trip to a nature center where we spent the afternoon walking about (13,000 steps so far today). The teacher is funny, she always puts me in charge of something when I'm in her room while the other parents get to mill about aimlessly. Today I had a small group of naughty boys in a reading group while she finalized details for the trip. I was also the designated caboose at the field trip, charged with making sure no one ran off into the woods. 

Next up I'm going to my school's carnival; I expect I'll drop a few bucks to put my principal in the dunk tank. And I'll end the day with Nerd Night where I'll probably drink too much. 

A friend of my wife, who also happens to be the husband of a friend of mine, found a very expensive racing bike ditched in the woods.  I did a little bit of Facebook investigating and was able to find the rightful owner and put them in touch with each other. 

Training:

DDPYoga - 20 minutes.

S&S - 5X10/10 at 20kg in ~8min & 4X1/1 get ups at 12kg + 1X1/1 at 16kg. 

Riding - 18 miles in 1:13.

Eating - low calorie and low protein.  I'll probably eat like a dickhead tonight and catch up on the calories if not the protein. 

Spending - I'll spend some cash at the carnival. I bought the kids ice cream on the way home from school. It's payday; I'll have to reconcile accts so I can pay bills. 

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

A friend of my wife, who also happens to be the husband of a friend of mine, found a very expensive racing bike ditched in the woods.  I did a little bit of Facebook investigating and was able to find the rightful owner and put them in touch with each other. 

Using kettle bells to rescue people. Reuniting cyclers with lost bikes. You are becoming a real life superhero. Did you head to the Sloth Lair and use the Sloth Computer to help reunite rider and bike? And was the bike really abandoned or was the rider out in the woods taking a squat?

• Like 9

Viking Adventurer

Battle Log: Bearlee is ...

8 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

The teacher is funny, she always puts me in charge of something when I'm in her room while the other parents get to mill about aimlessly.

I also get that! If we're out somewhere and the guide needs someone to be in charge and help out, they look straight at me, no matter whether I try to hide behind another person or not. There must be something written on our foreheads...

8 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Hero! :loyal:

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

14 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Awesome!

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On May 12, 2017 at 10:12 PM, Bearlee said:

Using kettle bells to rescue people. Reuniting cyclers with lost bikes. You are becoming a real life superhero. Did you head to the Sloth Lair and use the Sloth Computer to help reunite rider and bike? And was the bike really abandoned or was the rider out in the woods taking a squat?

The bike was actually left by the school the finder works at.  I guess it looked like the thief tried to remove some of the valuable bits, but couldn't manage. 

I used the sloth phone while I sat on the sloth-patio. The Mpls bike scene is interconnected enough that I knew it wouldn't be hard to track down the owner. A little searching, a couple of messages and a couple of texts later and a young dude got his baby back.

@Jittersthe.Clown was right.  If you look, there are lots of opportunities to help others. Today I opened a jar for a woman I didn't know :)  

As as a bonus for you, here's the sloth philosophy of life, slightly updated for NF - Life is like a tough mudder.  It's a pile of shit and much tougher than it needs to be. But if you keep slogging away you'll probably end up alright. When you come across someone who needs help you should offer it; there's usually a huge leverage, a small effort on your part makes someone else's life much easier. 

22 hours ago, Bearlee said:

Were you doing teacher duties on the field trip even though it wasn't your class? That seems a bit exploitive.

Exploitive is a bit strong.  Don't you help coach BearCub's soccer team when you could be sitting on the sidelines enjoying a cold beverage?

More like teacher's aide duties. When you go along on a field trip you're volunteering to help. Your eyes and authority make it safer for everyone and more likely that the kids are engaged. This teacher makes me work every time.  It's an honor to be trusted. 

I'll admit I'd have rather hung out with Slothboy and his friends and just enjoyed the day off, but managing that handful of energetic boys made the teachers life a lot easier so she could finalize the million things you have to take care of before you leave.  Shepherding the back of the group meant she could be up front making sure the students where making connections to the science standards, everyone's learning benefitted. 

20 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

I also get that! If we're out somewhere and the guide needs someone to be in charge and help out, they look straight at me, no matter whether I try to hide behind another person or not. There must be something written on our foreheads...

Hero! :loyal:

You look too responsible and trustworthy. 

15 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Awesome!

:) 

• Like 10

5/13/17 Saturday

Today was a weird day.  I woke up in a lot of pain.  Like I'd spent the night getting beat on with a pillow case full of bars of soap. It took a lot of will power to get up and walk to the bathroom. There was no reason for it, but I ached all over all day. I took Slothboy to ballet. When we got back I took a five hour nap despite getting 7 or 8 hours the night before. I missed my riding window.

The missus woke me up for family fun time. We went out to the sticks for some sort of wool festival. I petted a yak and got kissed by a llama. A good time was had by all. We had dinner on the way back at a BBQ chain and I finally got a short ride in while Mrs. Sloth put the kids in bed. 

Training:

-DDPYoga - no.

-Kettlebells - no.

-Riding - 26 miles in 1:52. Casual pace. 

Eating - I drank a can on Mt. Dew, otherwise on point.

Spending - lots. Entrance fee, snow cones and burger, wool tunic for Mrs. Sloth, dinner.

• Like 6

Sounds like you felt better for the family fun time, the super nap hopefully helped you bat whatever plague was trying to down you.

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

3 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

As as a bonus for you, here's the sloth philosophy of life, slightly updated for NF - Life is like a tough mudder.  It's a pile of shit and much tougher than it needs to be. But if you keep slogging away you'll probably end up alright. When you come across someone who needs help you should offer it; there's usually a huge leverage, a small effort on your part makes someone else's life much easier. 

^^^ The world needs more of this philosophy 

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

I woke up in a lot of pain.  Like I'd spent the night getting beat on with a pillow case full of bars of soap.

I was going to ask how you know what this feels like but what you do in the privacy of your own home is your business. I'm glad the magical llama kisses made you feel better. 

• Like 3

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

@Jittersthe.Clown was right.  If you look, there are lots of opportunities to help others. Today I opened a jar for a woman I didn't know :)  

Your eyes and authority make it safer for everyone and more likely that the kids are engaged. This teacher makes me work every time.  It's an honor to be trusted. 

Shepherding the back of the group meant she could be up front making sure the students where making connections to the science standards, everyone's learning benefitted. 

You look too responsible and trustworthy.

So true... and it is an honour to be trusted and deemed able to help those kids who are hiding in the back, then to see their faces light up when you explain something to them in a way that helps them to understand and also enjoy the outing. Thanks Sloth, I needed to hear this again today.

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

9 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Like I'd spent the night getting beat on with a pillow case full of bars of soap.

You sure you didn't sneak a jelly donut and made everyone do pushups while you ate it?

• Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 5/12/2017 at 11:44 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

*sigh* I've done this before too.  When will I learn?

If you are like me, you will never learn. I've given up on self control once I got started.

15 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

a short ride in while Mrs. Sloth put the kids in bed. 

-Riding - 26 miles in 1:52. Casual pace. 

You call that a short ride!!!?

• Like 2

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius