Forums are back in action! ×

I taught myself ho to sew thanks to a couple of friends i could call and You Tube :)  LOTS of fails, a few god hits. Just takes time and effort. Hell I am still hitting a lot of fails (last  years costume) You can do it!

Now, if only I can get started on mine. Any good ideas on mock scale maile? Just in case my plan falls thru again? I have the idea of craft foam of course, but trying to get a few more ideas just in case. 

if you can get a hold of enough mat board (used mostly for picture framing), it would work well.  It's essentially super thick posterboard, so it's more durable, but thinner than foam board.  Make sure you're knife is sharp while cutting it or the edges will tear instead of cut, same as foam board.

• Like 2

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Scale maile. I can't use real scales, against the con rules. So I am making my own with plastic. I think right now I am feeling overwhelmed with tediousness. 

Waitwhat?  Does that mean metal scales are against their rules?  (I'm guessing they don't mean dragon scales.)  There must be a good reason... what am I missing?

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

I taught myself ho to sew thanks to a couple of friends i could call and You Tube :)  LOTS of fails, a few god hits. Just takes time and effort. Hell I am still hitting a lot of fails (last  years costume) You can do it!

Now, if only I can get started on mine. Any good ideas on mock scale maile? Just in case my plan falls thru again? I have the idea of craft foam of course, but trying to get a few more ideas just in case. 

I know a really good crochet technique that creates thin, tessellated scales. I dunno how much scale mail you need, given my technique takes time and a lot of yarn, but you could get a metallic yarn and make it happen pretty easily if you have the patience to learn it. Or get someone to do it for you. It'd be warmer than the foam, but more flexible.

20140902_192338_zpsraxfvw7c_medium2.jpg

• Like 4

High Elf | Scout | Level 3
[ STR 3.5 | DEX 3 | STA 7 | CON 3 | WIS 7 | CHA 4 ]
Second Challenge | Battle Log

"I do not intend to make excuses."

100 Plus Miles!

101%
101%

I know a really good crochet technique that creates thin, tessellated scales. I dunno how much scale mail you need, given my technique takes time and a lot of yarn, but you could get a metallic yarn and make it happen pretty easily if you have the patience to learn it. Or get someone to do it for you. It'd be warmer than the foam, but more flexible.

That's super cute!!!!! I will have to remember this in case I need it for future costumes :)

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Wow that is amazing! and super cute!  I would need to do about 8 long strips tho. But I am still curious to the technique. I have never crocheted before.

Rising Heroes Faction: HAVIK 

Fitbit | Art Page | Instagram

Wow that is amazing! and super cute!  I would need to do about 8 long strips tho. But I am still curious to the technique. I have never crocheted before.

That's super cute!!!!! I will have to remember this in case I need it for future costumes :)

Here's a link to a video on the scale technique. The stripes/rows can be as long as you need them. Mine were done in short rounds, but I've seen some people do huge long cowls and shawls that could wrap around a body, so I assume they can be any length. 

• Like 1

100 Plus Miles!

101%
101%

A question I just realized when putting the final touches on.... How do you carry your stuff in costume?!?! Money, phone, etc. 

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

A question I just realized when putting the final touches on.... How do you carry your stuff in costume?!?! Money, phone, etc. 

I always take a bag with me (I have a kiddo tho), sometimes it's themed with whatever costume I am wearing. Secret hidden pockets in your garments are always good. Or a trusted friend that has pockets, lol. 

• Like 1

Any of the above work.  I now try to work pockets into any costume and minimize how much I need to carry, but it's been a learning experience and I still forget during initial planning.

Another issue I tend to forget:  how to use the restroom without completely removing the costume (especially fun in a morphsuit).

• Like 1

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Any good videos to work on my rusty skills of sewing (been awhile since I've last sew something)

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

That's the main reason I'm going through the difficulty of making usable pouches. I wanted to be able to carry my stuff with me at a convention. When I was just out around town, I just carried my purse with me.

Kareesh

Halfling | Rebel

[Level: 1]

Current Challenge

The convention we go to is MASSIVE and it now has several surrounding overflow hotels- so there is a lot of walking over a very large area. We see a lot of people with rolling ice chests and suitcases. My husband and I have started taking this box tote with wheels. Kind of embarrassing at first lol but it makes for a great seat when needed and it stores our cosplay stuff, my kiddo's emergency medicines, our treasures we purchase, and the massive amounts of Ramune my family goes through. I've seen kids with a similar set up find themselves a corner and whip out Cards Against Humanity and lunch. Saves money and a lot of walking!

• Like 2

Any good videos to work on my rusty skills of sewing (been awhile since I've last sew something)

Don't have many videos, but I have some stuff on my pinterest sewing board that helped me. Most are towards the bottom. Sorry for the clutter on it, it's holding project ideas that i may never get to LOL. 

I don't know what you are specifically looking for, but here are some beginner tips. Not a vid but helpful.

Everyone has made really good suggestions so far.

I know that if I'm going as a male character, I make sure I have pockets and a themed bag for my costume.

But if I'm going as a female character and my costume isn't revealing, I sometimes just use my bra to tuck my phone, money, and an inhaler. It's not classy, but it works! 

100 Plus Miles!

101%
101%

But if I'm going as a female character and my costume isn't revealing, I sometimes just use my bra to tuck my phone, money, and an inhaler. It's not classy, but it works! 

I learned to do that when I played roller derby. When we had special events and on our skates...we needed our phones but it wasn't like we could carry a bag!

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I ended up wearing a jacket and just using the pockets, it worked. Next time I will have to think of something toward the beginning of the process though... Lots of good ideas. I also ended up dropping most of my crap in my swag bag anyways haha Definitely learned a lot of Dos and Don'ts for next time.... Most importantly, start earlier lol Here is the finished result next to what I was aiming for.
Suicide-Squad-1---Harley-Quinn.jpg

~6838973

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Instagram | Goodreads

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I ended up wearing a jacket and just using the pockets, it worked. Next time I will have to think of something toward the beginning of the process though... Lots of good ideas. I also ended up dropping most of my crap in my swag bag anyways haha Definitely learned a lot of Dos and Don'ts for next time.... Most importantly, start earlier lol Here is the finished result next to what I was aiming for.

Suicide-Squad-1---Harley-Quinn.jpg

Ah! But no! This looks great! 8) 

and you know what? There's always something to learn! Never stop learning in cosplay. : )

• Like 2

100 Plus Miles!

101%
101%

I think you may be breaking one of the core tenants of cosplay: "if you wait until the last minute, it only takes a minute" :playful:

I'm currently debating if I want to start on my Nightcrawler tail or get my pirate costume out of the way first.

• Like 2

Since none of my major cosplays are done and shutocon is in a couple days Im throwing together a quailman costume. just need to dye my sweatervest and find some tightie whities. the last thing is something I never thought i would be looking for for myself ever again. I already have the belt headband set up. im pretty excited. just need cheap dye.

• Like 2

In brightest day, In blackest night, No evil shall escape my sight, Let those who worship evils might, beware my power, GREEN LANTERNS LIGHT!

Check the fabric/yarn type on your sweater first to make sure you get a dye that will work on it.  Cotton/wool should be fairly easy, but some of the synthetics can be difficult.

Also: be sure you run your washing machine while empty before trying to clean anything else in it, if you go that route.