Forums are back in action! ×

Episode IV: A New Hope

11 hours ago, Broba Fett said:

That's definitely helpful. I don't appear to be getting my elbows up enough. Flexibility sucks. Traps were ridiculously sore for a couple days after those cleans. Nothing else really. Just major DOMS just in my traps. Was very weird.

Excellent first challenge day at the farm today, including a 320+lb farmer carry. Details in my challenge get thread.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

DOMS in your traps is pretty normal for introducing cleans to your routine. That said, as you develop improve the explosiveness of your hips, you'll do less pulling on cleans. It should primarily be your posterior chain that you use on cleans.

Sounds like a fun farmer's carry! I need to start doing more of those.

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Girlfriend wanted to lift last night so I obliged.  Want to keep her as motivated as I can.  Didn't push it as I was already a little sore from trying cleans for the first time that morning.

Seated Presses suck.  I feel unbalanced and weak doing them.  I need to either clean out the garage that's been packed full since I've met my girlfriend or take weights outside next time so I can do a proper overhead press. Dumb 7ish foot basement.

Seated Press:

45x5

95x5

105x5

115x2

Bench:

45x5

95x5

135x5

170x4 (Same as last week when I was fresh so I'll take it as a win.  Still felt the need to follow up with more reps at a lower weight though.)

135x10

Girlfriend did an excellent job.  She's very excited about regular lifting.  I'm very proud. 

Woke up excessively sore from the pecs up, as I suppose I should be.  Easy day of work until 5 and then Dungeons and Dragons with the guys.  I'm playing a half-elf/half-orc bard who is proficient in bagpipes and didgeridoo.  Should be a fun game.

Sounds like your girlfriend is really encouraged about lifting, by seeing/hearing about your progress! ...she might also enjoy the encouragement from other women, here on NF, just saying...

....*sent from my tiny particle accelerator*....

• Like 2

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

Sounds like your girlfriend is really encouraged about lifting, by seeing/hearing about your progress! ...she might also enjoy the encouragement from other women, here on NF, just saying...

....*sent from my tiny particle accelerator*....

Good idea! I shall suggest it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 3
Spoiler

Currently...

Playing (Video Game): RDR2

DMing: Tyranny of Dragons.  First session 11/29.

Broba Fett tracks em down.

Facebook (Personal)  Facebook (Author Page)

Past Challenges:

Food went well yesterday.  Weekly weigh-in puts me up 5lbs to 424.9.  I'm fairly certain I won't see consistent losses until I start censoring WHAT I'm eating along with when and how much so I'm not super upset.  Building the habits now and will make changes in a few weeks to get the fat really burning off.

Getting stronger though.  Went lower on rows to make sure I could get 3 full sets of both rows and deads in.  Back workout fitnotes:

Bent over Row:

60x5

135x5

155x5x3

Felt good.  Should be able to move up for awhile on these no problem.

Deadlifts:

155x5

205x5

255x5

295x3x5

Feeling pretty good about life.  Ready to get those deadlifts back up to where I can actually see what I'm capable of again.

• Like 2
Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

Great attitude with regards to your weight. Keep up the good work!

• Like 2

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

2 hours ago, Why not? said:

Great attitude with regards to your weight. Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

Food went well again yesterday.  Going out to see batman/superman tonight at a theater that allows you to order really good food and have it delivered to your seat while you watch. Not sure if I'm just going to hold of on dinner till then (late tonight) or try to eat dinner at a sensible time and abstain this evening.  I'm thinking the latter plan will have a much more likely chance of succeeding.   We shall see.

• Like 2
Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

Food ended up being a non-issue last night as friends had to bail due to adult life.  So I just ate on my lunch like normal.

This morning, got a random friend quest from the owner of the strongman gym I was planning on checking out in a few weeks:

12677566_1754287221472535_114589643_n.jp

Not sure if he saw that I was planning on attending a local event as a spectator later this month or what.  Whatevs I suppose.  I'll take the opportunity to ask him about strongman training prices.

Easy day of work today followed by belated easter dinner with the girlfriend's family, then going to try to figure some way to do squats properly without a rack.  Right now I'm thinking I'll try front squatting whatever I can clean up to my shoulders.  Very open to suggestions.
  • Like 2
Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

Cousin at the farm just called.  My bull died.  :(

No apparent reason.  He just didn't make it through the night.

Super bummed about it.  I have a heifer who has been exposed to him but I'm thinking of selling her and getting out of the business until I have my own place.

:(

Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

Sorry to hear about the bull. I hope the gym visit is awesome to make up for it in some small way.

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

Sorry about your bull man, that really sucks.

Good luck at the gym tomorrow though.

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 18  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 11  -  SAN: 19  -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Get going!

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

Sorry to hear about the bull. I hope the gym visit is awesome to make up for it in some small way.

Sorry about your bull man, that really sucks.

Good luck at the gym tomorrow though.

Thanks to both of you.  Was a rough weekend for sure.

Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

I've realized I suck at updating both challenge thread and battle log so I'm just gonna focus on checking in on the challenge thread for now until the challenge is over, then it'll move back over here.  Link should be in my sig.

• Like 1
Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

Hello battle loggers.  Long time no see.  Going to try to update here while I'm taking a break from challenges.

Quick catch-up:  Down 36lbs since starting this and 2.5ish" on my waist.  Going to the strongman gym in town and setting all kind of PRs (including 415lb deadlift a couple weeks ago!) and still eating mostly paleo + dairy and whey.

Have my first strongman comp on July 10th and I feel very good about it.

We had some wicked storms last night so I slept in rather than go to the gym but I'm not feeling too bad about it since the fiancee and I got a special workout session sunday afternoon practicing log presses and tire flips. 

I will do a little more of a writeup on the events in the comp and my plan for the next few weeks soon.

• Like 2
Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

Congratulations on the weight loss (and, indeed, waist loss)! And on the deadlift PR! You're doing awesome!

Can't wait to hear about your strongman comp :D

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 18  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 11  -  SAN: 19  -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Get going!

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

Good news everyone.  I'm all jacked up on sugar and (diet) mountain dew!

Took a variance today as work had Hickory River BBQ/Corn Bread/Ice Cream Cake catered in.  I ate all the things.

Now I am operating on a different plane of sugar existence.  Waiting for the crash.

Did some cleans and 2 minute fitness tests today in the basement to proactively burn some cals.

Got a new 2 rep PR of 155 on cleans and increased my 2 min HR Push-ups and Bodyweight Squats to 32 and 50 from 27 and 40, respectively.

Feeling.  Real good. 

• Like 2
Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

Ok, so strongman comp.

It's July 10th and I'm competing in the Heavyweight novice class.  AKA, any novice over 225 I believe.  Last I looked there were 2-3 other guys in my class and all of them are more than 100lbs smaller than me. 

Events and where I stand are as follows:

1. Tire Flip:  I have to flip a 300lb tire 4 times down and 4 times back.  This past Sunday my coach had me practice with a 500lb tire.  It was hard but do-able.  He also told me to skip the conditioning part of my WODs for the next month and just go out back and flip tires.  300lb tire should be no problem.
  2. Farmer Carry:  255lbs in each hand for total distance in 60 seconds.  I've done 200lbs in each hand and didn't have an issue.  This sunday going to try to get it up there to competition weight and see how I do.
  3. Truck Pull:  10,000lb truck of some kind.  Pull could be anywhere form 80-100'.  I've maxed out my coach's truck pull simulator so I feel pretty good about it.  I'm also taking in my F250 this sunday for us to practice with.  I believe it weighs 8800 so we will toss some people in the back and get to pulling.  Coach said something about pulling up hills...  Eek.
  4. Log Press:  By far my weakest event.  Wessels rules, call your own weight.  Tried it for the first time Sunday and got 140, failed 160.  Similar to tires, coach says that any overhead movement in WODs should be done with the 110lb log.
  5. Atlas Stones:  Pick your weight to load 3 times.  Heaviest weight wins.  If you pick the same weight as a competitor, fastest one to load 3 times wins. I had no issue with 160 stone (threw it actually) and managed to get the 260 off the ground without tacky.  The fiancee ordered tacky and it came in yesterday so I will soon see what I can do.
  • Like 3
Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

Oh, and one last thing!  I'm officially back in the 300s!  Over 100lbs down overall!

398.6 the other day.  Shooting for 350 by next June for the wedding. I want to be svelte in my suit.

• Like 3
Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

On April 6, 2016 at 4:00 AM, Granny Nogg said:

Girlfriend wanted to lift last night so I obliged.  Want to keep her as motivated as I can.  Didn't push it as I was already a little sore from trying cleans for the first time that morning.

So, if your girlfriend is interested in lifting, she may be interested in checking out MegSquats on Youtube. She's a beautiful lady who's into powerlifting. I just started following her a while ago, and think she's super motivating for me, as well as showing women to pursue what they want, even if it's not "normal". Whatever the F that means.

Level 6 - Ranger Technomage- Battle Log

"Easy things are seldom worth doing." - Quote from Firestar, one of my favorite books.

Fitness goal: Lower weight from 243 lbs to below 230, or lower body fat from 22% to below 20%.

Why fitness matters(my big why):
I want to be strong & fit so when I want to try or do any activity, I know my body will be able to do it.

Or, stated another way:

My level of fitness is directly proportional to the level of awesomeness I can achieve.

https://www.facebook.com/intensityforlife/

http://www.intensityforlife.com

17 hours ago, Broba Fett said:

I want to be svelte in my suit.

You're an animal, brother! I have no doubt you'll be looking svelte in your suit! 

17 hours ago, Broba Fett said:

Truck Pull:  10,000lb truck of some kind.  Pull could be anywhere form 80-100'.  I've maxed out my coach's truck pull simulator so I feel pretty good about it.  I'm also taking in my F250 this sunday for us to practice with.  I believe it weighs 8800 so we will toss some people in the back and get to pulling.  Coach said something about pulling up hills...  Eek.

I'm slightly...ok lies...I'm SUPER impressed by the numbers here..cuz this just seems beastly in a whole new manner to me, but yeah, I'm intimidated has hell now. Broba, you're the man, sir. ;) 

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf

Class: Peerless Scarred/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 188#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Intro to Wolflean

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

5 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

I'm slightly...ok lies...I'm SUPER impressed by the numbers here..cuz this just seems beastly in a whole new manner to me, but yeah, I'm intimidated has hell now. Broba, you're the man, sir. ;) 

Thanks man.  I've found a lot of strongman looks much more impressive on paper than it is difficult, especially when it comes to things like tire flips and truck pulls.  I'll still take the compliment :D

Slightly peeved with the promoter of the strongman show.

When I signed up there were three mens novice classes: lightweight, middleweight, and heavyweight, with heavy being 220+.

Well apparently he's gotten me and a couple other guys that are bigger and decided to create a super heavyweight division for novice.  The only thing I may have an issue with is if he raises the weights for Farmer Carry from what was posted for heavyweight.  I signed up thinking that I'd have a good chance to be able to do that farmer carry at 255lbs in each hand.  If he jumps it up a bunch that might put it out of my league.  The tire I'm less worried about as I'm already practicing with a 500lb tire and he only has a 300 and 500.  And the other three events would be unaffected so we'd be good there.

Blah.  I'd still compete even if I can't do the farmer carry but the idea of getting a zero on an event is not fun to me.  And I signed up and paid money to have fun.  We shall see what he updates the weights with.

End rant.  Continue with your regularly scheduled programming.

• Like 1
Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

Excellent weekend.

Saturday:  Discovered long island ice teas.  Very useful for getting on everybody else's level without drinking 10 beers worth of carbs and calories.  Much success. 

Sunday:  Took my big F250 in to the gym to work truck pulls.  I feel very confident about them.  Then worked Farmer Carries.  I worked up to 250 in each hand but could only get it 5 feet or so.  Since my competition weight is 255 IF the promoter doesn't change weights due to the new weight class, I was discouraged and then remembered I'm paying to do this for fun.  So I'll do my best and try to enjoy myself even if I zero Farmers.

Yesterday:  Tested myself on Atlas stones.  Got the 250lb stone loaded!  Took like 6 tries but I got it done.  Going to go with the 225lb stone for the comp just to make sure I get all 3 loads done.  Wardrobe was ruined due to tacky usage and arms are wrecked today but I feel good about it.

Got a short week of work this week and then a 3 day weekend for the holiday/fiancee's daughter's birthday on the 4th. 

• Like 3
Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

Long day yesterday.  Had to make my monthly trip to Cedar Rapids so it went like this:

• Up at 530 to go to the gym.  Worked Log Press and then did the WOD.  A little bummed because I still only got 140 on logs and then I tore a callous off doing hanging leg raises during the WOD. :(
  • Home, showered, and leaving the house by 8 to drive for four hours.
  • Got a Chipotle burrito bowl for the first time for lunch.  Double meat, veggies, sour cream, cheese and quac.  No rice or beans.  It was glorious.  New go-to when I need something quick and don't feel like using a variance.
  • Delivered reviews in the Cedar Rapids office until 430 then headed home.
  • Got home at 830.  Had a cuban brought home by a co-worker who just took vacay in the Caribbean.  It too was glorious.
  • Sleep a little after 9.

So yeah.  Fun day.  Really hoping the callous heals up by next week's competition.  I do not relish the thought of 510lb farmer carries with an open wound on the part where my palm sprouts my pinky.

Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges:

On 6/28/2016 at 1:11 PM, Broba Fett said:

Excellent weekend.

Saturday:  Discovered long island ice teas.  Very useful for getting on everybody else's level without drinking 10 beers worth of carbs and calories.  Much success. 

Good to hear brother! LOL, your comment made me laugh. Them long islands are brutal...in a completely good way. 10 beers...whew..I could hammer 10 beers but then feel like a bloated asswipe after. Give me a good old fashion and I'm ready to boogie ;)

On 6/28/2016 at 1:11 PM, Broba Fett said:

Yesterday:  Tested myself on Atlas stones.  Got the 250lb stone loaded!  Took like 6 tries but I got it done.  Going to go with the 225lb stone for the comp just to make sure I get all 3 loads done.  Wardrobe was ruined due to tacky usage and arms are wrecked today but I feel good about it.

Once again...you're an animal! I think the differences between you, @WorldSparrow and myself would make for a REALLY awesome experience if we ever got to the point of buying land and building our dream course, ya know? You could teach everyone Strongman type workouts, then Sparrow with his military training among other things, and then me, just some super enthusiastic natural movement/"do all the things" guy..it's a combination for success in my eyes :)

Have I ever told you that you inspire me to cut through the bullshit and get stuff done? Well ya do! Keep being the ultimate BA you are, Broba!

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf

Class: Peerless Scarred/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 188#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Intro to Wolflean

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

27 minutes ago, Wild Wolf said:

10 beers...whew..I could hammer 10 beers but then feel like a bloated asswipe after. Give me a good old fashion and I'm ready to boogie ;)

That was generally the norm for a night of drinking before.  A six pack of craft brew followed by 4-5 of bud lights and I'd be pretty toasty.  That or slam 4-5 shots of cheap whiskey first and then go on to the beer.  I'm glad i've got a drink that I can get a bit tipsy with without drinking 1500 calories.

29 minutes ago, Wild Wolf said:

Once again...you're an animal! I think the differences between you, @WorldSparrow and myself would make for a REALLY awesome experience if we ever got to the point of buying land and building our dream course, ya know? You could teach everyone Strongman type workouts, then Sparrow with his military training among other things, and then me, just some super enthusiastic natural movement/"do all the things" guy..it's a combination for success in my eyes :)

Thanks man.  I would be all for that, long as I can put enough cattle to feed all of us somewhere on the property.  That's my real passion: livestock.

Forgot to post a couple pics I took.  First is atlas stones aftermath, bruises all the colors of the rainbow:

13584310_1761007507444909_1306831068_n.j
13556802_825667260901568_1584191377_n.jp

Second was my throwback thursday from this morning.  Crazy how much 4 years can change things:

13534473_1035478266566530_216427778_n.jp

• Like 4
Spoiler

Currently...

Past Challenges: