Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Sweet nothings from tank

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Two girls walk into the weights area. One girl had obviously never been over there before. I asked if they'd like the squat rack because I was almost finished. They said "no, it's easier to balance with the Smith machine" and proceeded to do half squats with their feet misaligned (leaning back into the bar).

At what point should I have said something about form or knees or below parallel?

I asked essentially the same question in another thread and was told to leave it alone. Which is what I did at the time too.

Did I offer advice in my post?  Please keep the following in mind:

• I am not a doctor nor any other kind of medical professional.
  • I am not a lawyer.
  • I am not a mental health provider
  • I am not a nutritionist
  • Your mileage may vary
  • I don't do anything in moderation
  • I have lots of injuries & if you train like me, you probably will too.

No exactly overheard but, I used to lift early in the morning, now I lift in the afternoon I see some things! Things man! There are two women I see in the gym at the same time as me, and in my gym the squat rack and the smith machine are next to each other, so they take turns sitting on the bar of the rack while they squat in the machine! This makes me sad.

The valiant never taste of death but once.

Battle Log:

100 Day Bench Press Challenge (64 Days)

Challenge: 1, 2

Estrix, level 1 Goblin Raider

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Unless people start the conversation you'll just get your head bitten of. Which is to bad, once or twice I have actually learned something from someone pointing out a flaw my lifting partner missed.

At our gym I have an understanding with the trainers, they told me it was ok to correct other people. So I told em I would instead let them know if I saw form horrible enough to cause serious injury but I would not go up to the people in question myself. So far it's worked out, the injuries have gone down slightly (or so I have been told) and no one is snapping at me :D

• Like 1

At what point should I have said something about form or knees or below parallel?

It really depends on you. If you don't care about people possibly snapping at you, being rude, or mumbling obscenities under their breath, then go for it. Sometimes people just don't know what they don't know.

Otherwise I would say keep it to yourself unless someone asks for help or you just find yourself in conversation with them.

Unless they're about to cause an injury, or look like they're at risk of causing an injury to themselves or others, it's none of my business.

The only exception is if they're trying to figure a piece of equipment out and I'll offer some advice.

Other than that, people can and will get prickly about advice - which, to be fair, if people kept telling me not to lift heavy, or squatting is bad for my knees, or whatever the current flavor of bro science advice might be, I'd get testy too.

• Like 1

That was sort of a rhetorical question. I rarely say anything unless I see people at immediate risk of hurting themselves or someone else. It's just... painful!

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

That way, the gym can pretend to be considerate of women, while reinforcing the idea that they don't really belong in a real gym.

Also allows men to feel that it's okay to not treat women like people, because if they don't like it, they can just go over there.

So, under the angry sarcasm, no, I don't agree that it's a good idea for any purpose other than marketing.

So you'd advocate for coed locker rooms then too?  Because those are segregated.  And not for marketing purposes either.  

I believe the in intent behind it is to give the women who would otherwise feel too self conscious to come to the gym a place where they can exercise without male eyes checking out their stretch pants.

100% this.  Guaranteed.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I think this belongs here

funny-gym-fat-people.jpg

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

The point after which you have asked, "May I offer a piece of advice?" and received the go-ahead from them.

If they don't want the advice, they'll probably say no. If they don't want the advice but say yes for whatever reason, you'll probably get physical cues to keep your advice short and keep moving. And if they are receptive to advice, this is a pretty non-threatening way to establish your willingness to advise them without coming off as a braggart or know-it-all. Especially in a situation like you faced, if they say yes, it doesn't hurt to say, "I wouldn't normally intervene (even if that's totally a lie) but I'm afraid you might hurt yourself, and here's why.

I've had people offer me advice in the gym (as a result of convo, not out of the blue), and I try to take it in a positive way - sometimes it's legit, good advice, and sometimes it's smile-and-nod-and-ignore-it advice. If someone did ask me the question above, I would reply with, "Absolutely - as long as you're okay with the fact that I'll make my own decision on whether or not to follow it!"

Was in the odd position of offering advice last week, after a new-er person commented on us doing the same program (had the Stronglifts app open and visible on phone), and on how low my squats were - bookended my comments with, "Of course I'm not trained to advise, but here's what I've heard... you should totally check out Nerd Fitness!"

And on the topic of this thread, I'm secretly hoping to find myself on it someday, with all the "that's what she said" comments between my gym buddy and I :D

• Like 2

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

The problem with offering advice when you're a relative newbie is that sometimes it's wrong, no matter how many times you've heard it, or inappropriate to the situation.

I get really frustrated when people feel the need to critique my form when I know they have even less experience and knowledge than I do.

Sometimes it becomes less of a helping hand and more of an assertion of dominance or a way of showing off.

Basically, unless you are genuinely an expert or they're going to injure other people, leave them to it.

• Like 2

So it's not often I see others in my gym since it's a little area cut out of a larger school, but not long ago I did manage to a see a couple things.

First I was watching a guy warming up, he was doing jumprope to start. He started off doing a little double bounce thing and would jump over the rope on every second bounce. He had a good rhythm going and then he decided to do "single unders" and this is where it went south real quick. He starts doing them, and promptly smacks his barefeet with the rope, jumps around a bit in pain, then continues... he did this a good 4 or five times, have to give him props on his stubbornness...

Then I stopped looking at the mirror and limped over to the squat rack.

The other was a true to life, in the wild, squatting, half repper.... I had a monologue going in my head for that one.

And yes, the school is a fight school so pretty much everyone is barefoot, hence the barefoot in the gym thing...

• Like 2

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

fight school...is that like a step up from fight club?

• Like 1

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

Just walk in like you own the place and get your shit done. After that, walk out, and you win. If those people want to spend their time making themselves feel better by saying bad things about others, let them. You will have spent your time improving yourself while they spent time being ugly to others. Who is the winner at the end of the day? Or the year?

Good reminder. Thank you :)

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

First I was watching a guy warming up, he was doing jumprope to start. He started off doing a little double bounce thing and would jump over the rope on every second bounce. He had a good rhythm going and then he decided to do "single unders" and this is where it went south real quick. He starts doing them, and promptly smacks his barefeet with the rope, jumps around a bit in pain, then continues... he did this a good 4 or five times, have to give him props on his stubbornness...

Ha! I am laughing in commiseration with the guy. I sometimes use jump rope as my HIIT exercise. Just when I think "woohoo, I'm on a roll!" I'll thwack myself and stumble all around. Thinking is the enemy of jumping rope I think.

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

LOL... no, it's an MMA/Muay Thai/Kali/BJJ/Whatever else school... so I just say Fight School.

i attend one of these

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

Two girls walk into the weights area. One girl had obviously never been over there before. I asked if they'd like the squat rack because I was almost finished. They said "no, it's easier to balance with the Smith machine" and proceeded to do half squats with their feet misaligned (leaning back into the bar). 

Case in point, I was benching tonight, working up to 3 sets of 5 reps at 315#.  So it should be obvious that I have a least a partial clue...

2 twentysomethings (they were talking about when they were in high school) were about 10 feet away from me, discussing how to increase their bench.  They ended up struggling with 95#.  Elbows flared, back flat, suicide grip (and that was just out of the corner of my eye).  Neither of them approached me and I offered nothing.  They haven't bothered to google even the bro stuff, why would they listen to me?

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker