Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Or to make it even messier 200kg x m/s^2?

Do you mean 200 kg m/s²?

ALT-0-1-7-8

Now I just need to find the multiplication dot.

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

We take our beer pretty seriously here.  (Sadly restaurant lobbyists take their lobbying pretty seriously, too, and are much better funded.)

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

Apparently so; and someone wants to change that [in Maine, at least]

http://www.foodandwine.com/fwx/drink/lawmaker-and-american-hero-wants-ensure-pint-glasses-maine-actually-hold-pint-beer

Notice the first sentence, if you will

I didn't make that up, as wrong as it may be

I figured out really quick why all the commercial glassware in Austria had lines and volume clearly marked... Make me wonder if beer is the only thing we Yanks are being cheated on. Who's keeping tabs on the wine?
  • Like 1

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

Oh, so it's the same plates, just converted to kilograms? I thought you meant that Europeans used plates that weighed different amounts. I'll gladly do the conversion. Or rather, let Excel do it.

What's funny is that my gym has the round deadlifting plates in kg rather than pounds. 

So my squats and bench and OHP are in pounds, but my deadlifts I have to convert from KG. 

Level 2 Warrior  | STR 4 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 4 | WIS 4 | CHA 3 |

Current Challenge  First Challenge

ball squats are so unrealistic ... its just not really functional

how often do you need to lift a heavy load with an unstable floor ..... it would be better if instead of making the floor unstable, you made the load unstable.

so I say kick the ball to the side of the room and swap out the iron for children and animals .... the weights would be from light - gerbils, cats ... to medium, toddlers and dogs .. to heavy, pigs and baby hippos

Bro1 - dude how much can you bench 

Bro2 - yeah I PB'd today at 2 pigs and a toddler ... tomorrows I am totally going to smash putting 2 gerbils on the bar as well

FUNCTIONAL !!!!

• Like 13

Human | Ranger

Level 3 | STR: 8 | DEX: 2 | STA: 8 | CON: 5 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 7

Current Challenge / Second Challenge, /  My First Challenge

how often do you need to lift a heavy load with an unstable floor ..... it would be better if instead of making the floor unstable, you made the load unstable.

so I say kick the ball to the side of the room and swap out the iron for children and animals .... the weights would be from light - gerbils, cats ... to medium, toddlers and dogs .. to heavy, pigs and baby hippos

Bro2 - yeah I PB'd today at 2 pigs and a toddler ... tomorrows I am totally going to smash putting 2 gerbils on the bar as well

FUNCTIONAL !!!!

make-it-so-captain.jpg

I've been using this one a lot lately it seems.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

FUNCTIONAL !!!!

I know that the odds of having to lift a perfectly cylindrical bar that's equally weighted on either side is unlikely, so I just bring a big branch into the gym with me and load it with randomly selected plates all across it. Much more functional that way.

• Like 4

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

I train commando almost all the time.  

Do remember that the word gym comes from the Ancient Greek term gymnós meaning "naked".

• Like 1

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

FUNCTIONAL !!!!

Hey, if you wanted to make your functional gym really well-equipped, you could put in a sleeper sofa, some big cartons of books, a box of poorly-cushioned glassware, a king-size mattress, and a marble-topped coffee table.

Bro 1:  What did you do today?

Bro 2:  5 50-yard sets of Helping a Friend Move.

• Like 8

My Main Quest:  Bench my Body Weight

My First 6-Week Challenge:  Squidwina - A Week Late and 45 Pounds Short

Started Program - 5-Jan-2015

Main Lifts as of 17-Mar-2015

- Squat: 3 reps at 175 lbs  (200 lb 1RM)

- Deadlift:  3 reps at 185 lbs

- Bench press: 3 reps at 115 lbs

- Overhead press: 3 reps at 75 lbs

In other news:

Once again, I was not able to do the last rep of my last set of bench press, but this time it wasn't me that failed

After my heinous Roll of Shame/Badassery on Tuesday, I was really looking forward to giving it another go.  I very much wanted to succeed where I had failed before. There was a snowstorm yesterday, so I had to wait an extra day to do it too.  I was all psyched up and ready to go.

The first two sets went fine, and I was pretty sure I'd be fine on the last set too, and I could always stop before the last rep if I had to, right?  Discretion being the better part of valor and all that, I decided to ask for a spot anyway.

One weird thing about my gym is that I rarely see anybody spotting, so I felt a bit uncomfortable asking someone.  There was only one guy in the weight area, and in the past I had considered asking him for a spot, but rejected the idea because he looked kind of dopey.  But I had observed that he pushes decent weight with decent form, so I figured he would be be an okay spotter.

WRONG!

He was apparently listening to some loud music because I had to tap him on the shoulder to get his attention.  No problem there.  I asked him for a spot, and he agreed, pulling out his other earbud as we walked over.  Cool.

I told him not to touch the bar unless I was really and truly stuck, with the bar totally stopped.  He said OK.

On the 5th rep, the bar was slow, but it was still moving up when I saw his hands...

I said "I've got it"

And he grabbed the bar and YANKED it right off of me!

I sat up and said "Hey, I said I had it."

He said "I didn't hear you."

And I realized HE HAD PUT HIS EARBUDS BACK IN BEFORE MY SET!

He muttered "sorry" and walked away.

So, he not only "helped" me when I had specifically asked him not to before the set and made sure he couldn't hear me during the set, but he also didn't even provide just a little assistance.  He just picked the barbell right up and set it on the rack.

Maybe he was just trying to make sure I never asked him to spot me again.  If so, he succeeded.

I was really mad and really disappointed!  I really wanted to get that last rep. I needed to get that last rep!  Damn.  Now I have to wait another two days at a minimum.

I was tempted to tear him a new one, but of course I kept my silence.  Bitching him out would have served no positive purpose.   Regardless of what you may believe from watching TV, people from New Jersey are not always confrontational.

I think I'll just get Uncle Vito to break his kneecaps.

In other news:

Once again, I was not able to do the last rep of my last set of bench press, but this time it wasn't me that failed

After my heinous Roll of Shame/Badassery on Tuesday, I was really looking forward to giving it another go.  I very much wanted to succeed where I had failed before. There was a snowstorm yesterday, so I had to wait an extra day to do it too.  I was all psyched up and ready to go.

The first two sets went fine, and I was pretty sure I'd be fine on the last set too, and I could always stop before the last rep if I had to, right?  Discretion being the better part of valor and all that, I decided to ask for a spot anyway.

One weird thing about my gym is that I rarely see anybody spotting, so I felt a bit uncomfortable asking someone.  There was only one guy in the weight area, and in the past I had considered asking him for a spot, but rejected the idea because he looked kind of dopey.  But I had observed that he pushes decent weight with decent form, so I figured he would be be an okay spotter.

WRONG!

He was apparently listening to some loud music because I had to tap him on the shoulder to get his attention.  No problem there.  I asked him for a spot, and he agreed, pulling out his other earbud as we walked over.  Cool.

I told him not to touch the bar unless I was really and truly stuck, with the bar totally stopped.  He said OK.

On the 5th rep, the bar was slow, but it was still moving up when I saw his hands...

I said "I've got it"

And he grabbed the bar and YANKED it right off of me!

I sat up and said "Hey, I said I had it."

He said "I didn't hear you."

And I realized HE HAD PUT HIS EARBUDS BACK IN BEFORE MY SET!

He muttered "sorry" and walked away.

So, he not only "helped" me when I had specifically asked him not to before the set and made sure he couldn't hear me during the set, but he also didn't even provide just a little assistance.  He just picked the barbell right up and set it on the rack.

Maybe he was just trying to make sure I never asked him to spot me again.  If so, he succeeded.

I was really mad and really disappointed!  I really wanted to get that last rep. I needed to get that last rep!  Damn.  Now I have to wait another two days at a minimum.

I was tempted to tear him a new one, but of course I kept my silence.  Bitching him out would have served no positive purpose.   Regardless of what you may believe from watching TV, people from New Jersey are not always confrontational.

I think I'll just get Uncle Vito to break his kneecaps.

I hate that shit!  Let me suffer until it drops back down and then and ONLY THEN, help me.

• Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

You know I don't think I've ever used a spotter, there are safety bars at the sides of the racks at my gym so I've never needed one. I've had a couple people ask me for a spot, both on the bench. First guy managed it all by himself so no problem, second guy was going for 8 reps, got to about 3 with next to no ROM and then I had to yank the bar up before it crushed his neck.

Make something idiot proof and they just build a better idiot.

I love this, we've been dealing with users breaking shit a lot lately because they're nto following the manuals.

And this just makes it even worse!!!

...um?

We have pennies in England. It's America that misuses the term. Yours are cents. And America had metric currency long before England (which makes the American resistance to the metric system anywhere else utterly baffling).

We have cents, in that it defines a 1/100th of a dollar. A "penny" is the coin that represents one cent. So we have both.

I train commando almost all the time.  

I did until I started ball tapping myself on speed deadlifts and cleans about 3 months in. No more of that shit. I also can't run without briefs w/ legs though because of chaffing.

He shouldn't have been spotting with earbuds in andshouldn't have stepped in at that point as your directed him not to, and yes, be warry of that next time. However, that is the proper way to spot. You don't do the fingerstips and "all you all you" little bit of assistance stuff. It's going to impact recovery way more than that tiny bit of extra volume is going to push more adaptions. When a rep is failed, you lift the bar completely off and put it back in the rack.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

We have cents

Rhymes with pence

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

Squid - where are you? Your weather updates seem to fit well with Tennessee.

New Jersey.

Sadly, I don't really have an Uncle Vito.

He shouldn't have been spotting with earbuds in andshouldn't have stepped in at that point as your directed him not to, and yes, be warry of that next time. However, that is the proper way to spot. You don't do the fingerstips and "all you all you" little bit of assistance stuff. It's going to impact recovery way more than that tiny bit of extra volume is going to push more adaptions. When a rep is failed, you lift the bar completely off and put it back in the rack.

Well, yeah.  That's why I asked him not to step in until I was really failing.

What he did made no sense because it was neither a proper spot nor an "it's all you" spot. The latter at least has some kind of logic behind it.  The only reason anybody would step in that early is if they were doing an "it's all you" spot, so doing the "provide a little assistance" thing would at least have been the proper improper thing to do, if you know what I mean.  I wasn't even at the point where an "it's all you" spotter should have stepped in anyway.  So he gets no credit at all for doing anything right, IMHO.

And there isn't going to be a next time.  If there's nobody else around...well, hello, power rack!

Here is the metric chart.  I hope I got it right:

cfLmEqJ.png

• Like 1

Bloody personal trainers:

Go to the gym today...all set for my regular session whereby I get in and see a personal trainer with 2 clients...all cool you think...she has one on the leg press machine and the other she has doing step ups on a box with dumbbells, right in front of the only bloody power rack in the gym...

No worries I think, I'll go to  another area for my deadlifts, head over there and PT then brings both her clients over to where I'm lifting and proceeds to get both clients doing two different exercises, one machine of which is right behind me so I have them walking behind me and standing to one side of me when I'm lifting, in between songs I can hear them talking about some sort of  sale in a shop, at which point i thought to myself 'I hope you both are getting a discount for a double session and the time spent wasted on idle chatter'

I mean seriously, what sort of PT feels the need to monopolise so much of the gym and doesn't have the wherewithall to position her clients so they don;t block off the only bit of kit they have one of (I'm just glad it wasn't squat day for me)

• Like 3

3381521341_de19025120.jpg

Naturally a picture of alcohol brings Guzzi out of hiding... it's the Guzzi Symbol... shine it bright when you need a drinking buddy to come save your boring friday night.

• Like 4

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Bloody personal trainers:

Go to the gym today...all set for my regular session whereby I get in and see a personal trainer with 2 clients...all cool you think...she has one on the leg press machine and the other she has doing step ups on a box with dumbbells, right in front of the only bloody power rack in the gym...

No worries I think, I'll go to  another area for my deadlifts, head over there and PT then brings both her clients over to where I'm lifting and proceeds to get both clients doing two different exercises, one machine of which is right behind me so I have them walking behind me and standing to one side of me when I'm lifting, in between songs I can hear them talking about some sort of  sale in a shop, at which point i thought to myself 'I hope you both are getting a discount for a double session and the time spent wasted on idle chatter'

I mean seriously, what sort of PT feels the need to monopolise so much of the gym and doesn't have the wherewithall to position her clients so they don;t block off the only bit of kit they have one of (I'm just glad it wasn't squat day for me)

Tell me about it, sometimes it's like they're trying to get in the way. Since joining my current gym back in Septemberish I don't think Ive had a single workout without a PT having someone lunge up and down the entire gym. Is there really some major benefit to having them traverse as much of the floor as possible rather than lunging on the spot or along a small area in the corner? And there's one in particular who will go up to as many people as possible to "correct" their form with terrible and usually completely wrong advice.