Forums are back in action! ×

Miw-Sher's Tough Mudder Survival Journey

I was supposed to go running with a friend today, which is why my workouts are swapped. During the day though I realised I still felt a bit tired from the hike, so I decided to do a shorter run/walk today and push the 20 minute run to tomorrow.

Tuesday 14/12:

Morning Workout:

Mobility Exercises

Foam Rolling

Balance Drill: Starmaster Workout (2 min per leg)

Foundation Level I - Day 16

Stretch

Evening Workout:

Foam Rolling
Warm-Up

5 Minutes Run + 5 Minutes Walk

Stretch

• Like 1

Goblin | Level 7 | STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 3.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 2.5

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

Today training was a bit all over the place because I woke up somewhat late. I still managed to get in all my workouts though. :)

Morning Workout:

Mobility Exercises

Foam Rolling

Balance Drill: Starmaster Workout (2 min per leg)

Upper Body Challenge Day 9

Stretch

Midday:
Quick Warm-Up

Foundation Level II - Day 17

Stretch

Evening Workout:

Foam Rolling
Warm-Up

20 Minutes Run ( The Long Run - Day 13)

Knee rehab: Six O'Clock Workout

Stretch

• Like 1

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

Not going to get into yesterday, but I actually did manage to do my core workout. Today I skipped running and morning workout completely, due to the knee pain I talked about in my challenge thread. I did do foundation in the evening.

17/02

Foam Rolling

Warm-up

Balance Drill

Foundation Level I - Day 16

Knee Rehab: Iron Bar

Stretch

I've been slacking off on foam rolling lately, I have a feeling i know what my next challenge will be.

Ok so, it seems that I messed up my Foundation tracking somewhere in this topic. I did not skip days or do multiple days in a row. Yesterday was Day 20 and today was Day 21.

Saturday 18/02

Morning:
Went on a (much) shorter hike, (15km). No crazy adventure, but one of my boots decided to kill my foot. That will need fixing.

Evening:

Foam Rolling

Warm-up

Balance Drill: Starmaster (2 Min per Leg)

Upper Body Challenge Day 11

Foundation Level II - Day 20

Stretch

Sunday 19/02

Morning Workout - Swimming Replaces Running!

Walk to the pool because I wanted to explore despite it being 0°C - 1h

Swimming: 800m, 40 min

Walk back from the pool with wet hair because my swim cap fails and I forgot to bring coins and thus could not pay for the bus that as it turns out does not circulate on Sundays anyhow: 1h20.

I should start a "Walking Adventure of the Week" section.

Upper Body Challenge Day 12 (Throughout the Day)

Evening:

Foam Rolling

Warm-up

Balance Drill: Starmaster (2 Min per Leg)

Foundation Level II - Day 21

Knee Rehab: Knee Rehab Workout

Stretch

• Like 1

Some good news - I am officially injury-free and fit for running according to the sports doctor I just saw. :) I'll still be doing aquajogging rather than running tomorrow, but that means I can hit the road again starting Wednesday!  <3

Monday 20/12

Morning:
n/a

Throughout the Day:

Foundation Level II - Day 2

Evening:

Foam Rolling

Warm-up

Upper Body Challenge Day 13

Stretch

• Like 3

Congrats on getting the all clear to run! Hope you do manage to hit the road today :) 

On 19/02/2017 at 9:16 PM, Miw_Sher said:

Yes, yes you should.

• Like 1

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 18  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 11  -  SAN: 19  -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Get going!

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

On 21/02/2017 at 2:12 PM, Jarric said:

Yes, yes you should.

Haha, I'll start taking notes.

So aquajogging did not happen yesterday, due to the fact that I had not realised it started as late as it did - 20H30 to 21H30, which, with a one-hour walk home in the rain combined with a lack of sleep meant I just could NOT muster any sort of motivation to get there.

On the other hand, as with every time I eat like crap, my body reminded me hard why I had started working out again in the first place. I think I lay in bed until almost 1AM, filled with nervous energy and an inability to sleep, until I decided to do something about it and hit "Random Workout" on my Darebee app.

I got this: http://darebee.com/workouts/unbreakable-workout.html

Even with push-ups scaled down from the ones I normally do (accounting for the WOW Obstacle Race workout today - I did not want to have another case of weird shoulder pain) I fell asleep pretty quickly after this.

Eh, I just wish there was a way for me to remember these things before skipping a workout or eating a crud meal. :(

Wednesday 22/02:

Morning:

Nada, overslept.

Midday Workout:

Warm-Up

5 Run, 1 Min Walk, 3 Sets

Obstacle Race WOW

5 min Run, 1 Min Walk, 3 Sets

Stretch

Evening Workout:

Warm-Up

Foundation Level II - Day 24

Stretching

If you are wondering what is happening with my workout, my entire program got messed up by a combination of people now training with me that don't seem to understand my training plan and the running break last week. So now I am modifying my workouts based on the official program and starting next week I should wrap up the Long Run and then start the 12-Week Half marathon programme. To which I will add one modification, which is that instead of a recovery run I'll cross-train with swimming or biking once a week. If people fail to understand that one, my plan is to schedule the runs with them so it fits with my plan, and then just do my training and if they can't understand why I take walking breaks or do shorter runs than what they do, too bad for them. They are better at me at pacing themselves though, so it's not a complete hindrance for me.

• Like 1

Evening Rebels!

Today was an uneventful workout. Finally.

Wednesday 22/02:

Morning Workout:

Mobility Exercises

Foam Rolling
Warm-Up

The Long Run - Day 22

Stretch

Throughout Day:

Upper Body Challenge

Evening Workout:

Foam Rolling

Warm-Up

Balance Drill: Starmaster

Foundation Level II - Day 25

Knee Rehab: Six O'Clock Workout

Stretching

As an aside, I was instructed to foam roll before exercises because of my knee issues back in January. I'll only foam roll after workouts if it's a particularly intense one (for example after the ToM WOW yesterday because it was on such a different level than what I was used to)

Any tips and sources on this, and also any good foam rolling routines out there? So far I have been pretty much winging it, 20 seconds for each quads, abductors, calves and hamstrings. It's movements I was taught way back during my first gym experiments. I have no clue what to do with the rest of my body.

4 hours ago, Miw_Sher said:

First 5k! :D

Woot woot!

I just wing it with foam rolling too and spend a bit of extra time on areas that are particularly sore. It seems to do the trick, so if it ain't broke...

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

On 2/28/2017 at 10:18 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

And? Detailed report, please!

I survived it. :D 

Actually, it went very, very well. The trail I go through goes over a hill, so the hardest part were the first 3K or so... then it went like a breeze. If it wasn't for finding our route barred in the middle of it, having to stop and start again, which put me off my rhythm, I could have easily run another 10-20 minutes. THEN I would have probably been sore all over the day after, but still. I was quite happy. :)

I just did a first run after two very rocky weeks during which I ate like crap and gained quite a bit of weight. I'm very happy to say neither my endurance nor speed have suffered. So that made me very happy. 

I also finished the foundation programme and am starting Gravity tomorrow. This is going to be interesting because i now have two serious programs (bodyweight and running programme) going on at the same time. Ergo, while until now it was kind of easy to pair them up, I'll have to consider if, for instance, I really want to do a leg day after a 1h run in the morning or vice-versa.

We'll see how that goes. In the meanwhile, I should not have any more unexpected trips until the end of April, so there is that. :)

• Like 4

So today was the first day of Phase 3 - full on Half-Marathon Training and 30 Days of Gravity aka serious, no-more-messing-around with half-jacks strength training.

It was pretty rad.

A few things first: Because Gravity is pretty push-up heavy I stopped following the push-up challenge. Instead, I am supplementing the program with a pull-up challenge since the program is very lacking in that area and so am I. Following my past experience, I may skip or repeat a day at times if I feel it is too much for my body to handle.

Also, following the half-marathon training, I have three-four days off running (since I am going to cross-train instead of doing a recovery run), so I'll try and include a longer knee-rehab routine somewhere in there for prevention measures. I may also swap a day of Gravity out instead if I find it is too much. Core routines are already present in the gravity program so I needn't worry about those.

Anyhow recap - Mon 13/03/17

Morning:

Warm-Up

Half-Marathon Training: 30 Minute Run

Cool Down

Stretch

Evening:

Warm-Up

Balance Drill: Starmaster (3min each leg)

Pull-Up Challenge: 1 - 1 - 1 Inverted Rows; Bent Legs*

30 Days of Gravity - Day 1 Wall-Sit Times: 25'', 1'; 1'10''

Stretch

So, the reason I am so hyped is the following - when I started back in January, just doing 10 lunges veered into dangerous knee-pain territory. I could not even think of doing 20 physically. But 60 lunges today? Eaaasyyyyy...

That was the first major metric of improvement I got. :) That; and the fact that I am apparently able to do 30 minute runs now without much of an afterthought, even after two weeks of eating like crap and being noticeably heavier. Success!

Also, Sunday, which was the day after cold-death-recovery-day and generally the day I consider myself recovered, was a 35 minute run, and at 34:25'', meaning I ran 5K in less than 35mins. :)

I have no idea how realistic it is to hope that i shave off those remaining 4'25 before the half-marathon or the mudder, but here is to hoping. :)

That is all. I am now going to finish stuff and go to bed on legs I don't have anymore. Luckily tomorrow is upper-body focus.

*Yes, really. That is the best I can do right now.

• Like 4

Tue 14/03/17

Morning:

Rest

Evening:

Warm-Up

Balance Drill: Tree Pose

30 Days of Gravity - Day 1 Push-Ups (Full, not inclined anymore) to Failure: 4 - 2 - 0

Stretch

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Miw_Sher said:

30 Days of Gravity - Day 1 Push-Ups (Full, not inclined anymore) to Failure: 4 - 2 - 0

Huge win right there. Well done!

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

On 15/03/2017 at 9:47 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

Much progress with the lunges and "proper" pushups. Keep that momentum rolling!

On 15/03/2017 at 11:08 AM, Charlie_Quinn said:

Huge win right there. Well done!

Thank you both!

• Like 1

Yesteday I woke up late and had an overall crappy day which meant I forgot to post. Anyhow, here it goes:*

Wednesday 15/03/2017

Morning:
15 Min Yoga halfway through the morning because I was getting really stressed and irritable.

Midday
Warm-Up
Pull-Up Challenge: 2 - 1 - 1 Inverted Rows; Bent Legs
30 Days of Gravity - Day 3
Stretch

Afternoon:
Half-Marathon Training: 30 Minute Run*
*Turned into a 5K with new PR at 34'11s

Thursday 16/03/2017

Morning:
Half-Marathon Training: Day 18 - Modified

I was planning to use this day to cross-train at the pool, but I'm broke, so I did Strengthrunning's ITB Rehab Routine instead - 1 Set

Evening:
Warm-Up
Pull-Up Challenge - Day 4
30 Days of Gravity - Day 4

Yoga With Adriene - Yoga Camp Day 3

There is no particular reason why I decided to supplement my evening workout with yoga except that I really felt like it and have spent the past couple days cooped up in my room due to work and am really, really feeling it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Between you, EricMN and Charlie_Quinn, I'm seriously considering the lack of running training in my prep for the Mudder. Probably gonna be that guy who beats the obstacles but struggles to get from one to the other :/

I guess I'll just be the scout then... as in literally running ahead to report on the terrain and then have to be thrown over obstacles. :D

• Like 2

Friday: 18/03/2017

Morning:

3 sets of:

30 Kettlebell Swings (5 L Jug)

15 Inverse Sit-Ups

15 Burpees

Evening:

Evening:
Warm-Up

Balance Practice: Star Master
Pull-Up Challenge - Day 5 2 - 2 - 1 Inverted Rows; Bent Legs
30 Days of Gravity - Day 5

Stretch

Saturday: 18/03/2017

Morning:

Warm-Up
Half-Marathon Training: Day 21

Time: 40 Min Run

Total Distance: 5,75 km

5 K Time: 35'11

Stretch

Evening:
Warm-Up

Balance and Coordination Practice
Pull-Up Challenge - Day 6  4 - 2 - 1 (+1 from last time)
30 Days of Gravity - Day 6

Stretch

Foam Roll

End of week recap:

I'm nearing the end of the week on the new programme, and so far, the two of them work surprisingly well together. The only time I felt like I was pushing it was today, which makes sense because I had to push forward a long run and got murdered by EricMN's exercises yesterday when I was supposed to be keeping it easy. So that was my silly modification and not an issue of programming.

So that's cool.

Which does not mean I won't be doing modifications - tomorrow is a nice one, for instance. The programme says "focus legs" but I am off hiking again. There is no way I'm doing that tomorrow or the day after - and in fact Monday is supposed to be a nice, much-needed stretch day. So I'm just going to count my hike as "focus legs", it only seems fair. ^^

Also, any day after doing one of EricMN's WOW shall be dedicated solely to stretching and foam-rolling. That is non-negotiable.

• Like 4

Came back from hike.

All I want to do is curl up in my bend and sleep.

That is the sign of a hike gone well.

• Like 3

Today was a much-needed rest day, only some stretching in the gravity programme. I may still do some yoga but it seems like I'm leaning more towards chilling with a good audiobook or Serial.

Morning:

Warm-Up
Pull-Up Challenge - Day 7
30 Days of Gravity - Day 6

Stretch

Evening:

Rest

• Like 1

So today was the first day I really struggled with. I had the morning off so I decided to move my run to midday due to it being raining, but was plagued by an enourmous lack of motivation throughout the entire day.

In the end, I did my entire workout in one go which was ok but not ideal.

Evening:

Warm-Up

Half-Marathon Day 24
Pull-Up Challenge - Day 9
30 Days of Gravity - Day 9

Stretch

• Like 1